Saturday, August 27, 2011
2011 Sailors boys tennis schedule
- Aug. 19: Steamboat 6, Montrose 1; Steamboat 5, Durango 2
- Aug. 20: Steamboat 5, Aspen 2
- Aug. 25: Steamboat 4, Boulder 3
- Aug. 27: Kent Denver 5, Steamboat 2
- Sept. 7: Steamboat 4, Air Academy 3
- Sept. 9 and 10: Steamboat takes 1st in singles, 2nd in doubles at the Western Slope Open
- Sept. 16: Cheyenne Mountain 5, Steamboat 2; Steamboat 6, Mullen 1
- Sept. 17: Steamboat 5, Fossil Ridge 2
- Sept. 22: vs. Colorado Academy
- Oct. 1: Niwot 6, Steamboat 1
- Oct. 7 and 8: Steamboat tennis sends whole team to state
- Oct. 13 to 15: Steamboat has rough first day at state
Steamboat Springs The Steamboat Springs High School boys tennis team split a pair of matches Friday, beating Boulder in the morning before falling to Kent Denver in the afternoon.
Steamboat beat Boulder, 4-3, on the heels of wins from three of its four doubles teams.
Steamboat’s No. 1 doubles team of Erik Sortland and Gabri Erspamer, the No. 3 doubles team of Quinn Cain and Stefan Sortland, and the No. 4 doubles team of Karsten Thompson and Ben Wharton all picked up wins.
At No. 1 singles, Jamey Swiggart returned to action and won in straight sets.
“It was a big win for us,” Steamboat coach John Aragon said. “Boulder is really a solid team.”
In the second tilt, Steamboat fell to Kent Denver, 5-2.
Colin Green, at No. 3 singles, won in the afternoon, as did Swiggart.
Swiggart beat Kent’s David Mitchell, 6-7, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2).
“Jamey played one of the best high school matches I’ve seen in a long time,” Aragon said.
Mitchell, a rising freshman, is the fourth-highest rated recruit in the Class of 2015 according to the Tennis Recruiting Network.