Hayden man arrested on indecent exposure charge

— Steamboat Springs Police Department officers arrested a 34-year-old Hayden man Wednesday on suspicion of exposing himself along the Yampa River Core Trail.

Officer Evan Driscoll said a man called police around 1 p.m. to report that he saw a man naked on a picnic table playing with himself in the 1700 block of West U.S. Highway 40 along the trail. Police were led to the man and arrested Timothy James Scopac on suspicion of misdemeanor indecent exposure. He was clothed when he was arrested, Driscoll said. Driscoll said a woman reported seeing something similar to what the male witness saw.

Scopac was released from Routt County Jail on Wednesday after he posted a $1,500 bond. He is due in court at 8:30 a.m. Sept. 2. No phone number was listed for Scopac.

Comments

rhys jones 3 years ago

I don't see why this trash qualifies as "news." The odds of anyone in town witnessing such aberrant behavior are slim, but we all thank the Pilot for reminding us graphically that it exists.

spidermite 3 years ago

highwaystar, This has become more frequent in Routt County. Two arrests in the past couple of of months. The peopple need to know.

bandmama 3 years ago

Maybe town council can form a watch group to watch the nude peopple at the river?

Brian Kotowski 3 years ago

I'm grateful the Pilot is identifying the pervs in our midst. How about a mugshot?

steamboatsmile 3 years ago

I have known this person over 20 years and this is not in his character. The true story will surface, but as for now it is heart breaking to see the humiliation he is now experiencing at the hands of one man. He is a good person and citizen. I cannot express how frustrating this 'alleged' charge is. There is no doubt in my mind his name will be cleared.

exduffer 3 years ago

I thought my removed comment was rather tame;)

exduffer 3 years ago

For those of you who missed it, I wondered if the conflicting eyewitness reports had to do with whether the suspect was ambidextrous.

rhys jones 3 years ago

smile -- Exactly my point. Let's try the case right here, in front of God and everybody. What people say they saw, what they think they saw, and what they actually saw, may be three different things. So this guy is hung without a trial, pun intended.

Guitarist Tom Ward's little girl thought I was trying to "steal" her once, when all I was doing was motioning for her to cross in front of my car; there was a much more mature woman at the end of my journey. Led to a nasty scene involving cops for a while, and I'm not sure to this day Tom really believes me.

Training kids to be defensive is a good thing, until it borders on paranoia. Then people see all kinds of things. If this paper devoted an article to every accused criminal, telling only one side of the story, there would be room for little else, and we would have lots more to squabble about. Apparently the perverted nature of this alleged offense makes it newsworthy. Get the folks yakking again. That's one reason I got out of TV news, the wow factor, flames and blood were more likely to see the air. The media tells us what's important, whether the "facts" are true or not. What a job.

cheesehead 3 years ago

for all we know he could have been taking a swim. this story makes him out to be a monster.