Camping, parking along roadside to be allowed during Pro Cycling Challenge

— A handful of Colorado highways, including U.S. Highway 40 over Rabbit Ears Pass outside Steamboat Springs, will take on a new look during the USA Pro Cycling Challenge later this month.

Agencies including the Colorado State Patrol, the Colorado Department of Transportation and the U.S. Forest Service will allow race spectators to park and camp along the race route. CDOT says the temporary rules are in place to keep with the time-honored bicycle racing tradition of spectator access.

Here are the rules, according to CDOT:

• Roadside parking and camping can be in place no more than 24 hours in advance of the time the race is expected to pass that location.
  • All vehicles, including trailers, must be parked entirely off the traveled portion of the highway, including all shoulders, gore points, divided highway areas and access to private property.
  • All vehicles, including trailers, may not pose a safety risk to the motoring public regardless of parking or camping area.
  • All spectators will ensure their areas are clean of debris and trash promptly after the race passes.
  • If any area becomes overwhelmed with vehicles, including trailers, or the number of vehicles in an area is deemed excessive, CDOT and the State Patrol may clear the area and require vehicles to move to another location.

The fourth stage of the week-long race comes into Steamboat Springs via Colorado Highway 131 on Aug. 26. The next day, racers will exit Steamboat via U.S. 40 over Rabbit Ears Pass.

Comments

steamboatsconscience 3 years ago

Dont forget to subtract this misappropriation of our tax dollars in the "economic benefit" formula, BSUSA.

steamboatsprings 3 years ago

Colorado is a very tourism oriented state and these events keep us at the top of mind as people make choices. Studies generally support this and you are free to disagree but it is a stretch for you to pretend to be Steamboat's Conscience when the majority of people get it. This reminds me of how some community alliance members like Steve Aigner think they know better and can protect the poor unknowing people of Steamboat from themselves. It's one thing when you are talking about development but biking? Really?

steamboatsconscience 3 years ago

Do not associate me with Ainger, I totally disagree with his agenda CSP and CDOT have better things to do than play ushers for this event. Hire private security if it brings in so much revenue. Dont use MY tax dollars. Got a problem with that?

Steve Lewis 3 years ago

steamboatsprings, The last time you criticized Steve Aigner, as he initiated a petition to take SB700 to a ballot, you were making the same nonsense.

It is completely illogical to complain, as you do, that he thought he "knew better than the poor unknowing people of Steamboat", when everyone knew his goal was to ask the people of Steamboat to vote on the annexation.

And you have it completely backwards - it was city council that voted NOT to send the annexation to a ballot of the people. Aigner reversed council's wish by petitioning for a ballot and made it possible for this community to prevent a huge annexation mistake.

Its true Aigner was opposed to the annexation. Also true you supported the annexation. 61% of Steamboat sided with Aigner's view.

Steve Lewis 3 years ago

But you are right that the bike race will be great.

bill schurman 3 years ago

I'll just be holed up for those days. Thanks for bringing this mess to River City and beyond. Hunker down.

Zed 3 years ago

^^^ It is two days out of 365, will come and go in a blink of an eye and I bet you will forget any delays by the next week. don't psyche yourself out too much or you might be let down. You should come out to the beer tents instead of watching TV

And what would you be doing if you were not hunkered down on a friday evening/saturday morning?

bill schurman 3 years ago

Dear Zed, I do not drink alcohol so that's out. I hope you and yours enjoy yourself Rockies game on Friday & breakfast club EARLY Saturday morning.BTW: delays are now everyday in the present day River City. This will just be worse. Not like the old-pre-chamber days. Were you here back then ??

stillinsteamboat 3 years ago

I know this is exciting for many, but closing hwy 40 (Lincoln Ave.) on a Friday, won't this be a little more than an inconverience to the other busineses who count on the use of the highway for their pay check? Over the road truckers for instance. Correct me if I am wrong.

Zed 3 years ago

You obviously have not been caught in the construction delays on highway 40 this summer? I am sure truckers are adjusting their schedules to avoid those? Delays are an inevitable cost of business when your business uses public roadways.

flower 3 years ago

I am glad I don't have any roadside property that will be used as an outhouse.

Steve Lewis 3 years ago

Live and let live.

I'm disappointed in the low tolerance my neighbors allow for others to live large for two or three days. Perhaps you have to like biking? But I'm no golfer and I think I could put up with the golfing greats bringing 10,000 spectators here. It doesn't occur to me to complain at the Mustang owners shutting down Lincoln for a day.

30 years ago I thought being "from here" was important, and set me apart from the tourists. But a group of friendly Texans grabbed me for a day of skiing, and every day since I've known attitude is what really matters. Sure great attitude is easier when you live here, but be open to the visitors who bring it in spades.

So lighten up. There is no gate at the pass. Anyone wearing a smile is welcome here.

steamboatsconscience 3 years ago

Lewi 10000 golf fans would be on the golf course watching not riding 7 abreast on a major highway going 40+ MPH and wouldnt be camping alongside said major highway.Not to mention all the wannabe racers running stop signs in town. but hey, bring it on, hope no one gets hurt or worse......

Zed 3 years ago

I wish they would bring back the rally race, they can race up and down my road for a day, I have no problem with it. And the Labor Day motor races that were on Mt Werner, those were pretty sweet.

Haters are going to hate, no matter how smoothly this event goes, cause hating is easy.

1999 3 years ago

yes.. YVB...its sad that we are chastised for having an opinion. I especially enjoy the comments "well if you don't like so and so MOVE out of town"

oh well...ignorance is bliss.

Zed 3 years ago

YVB-

You have a lot of strong opinion, which I am sure makes you the life of every party, but people are looking for strong facts/arguments. It is not a matter of pussy whipped for me, it is a matter of blowing hot air to sway people when you have nothing else to go off of(e. 90% politics) or find it more effective than referencing legitimate facts.

This for example would be classified as hot air/hate and add nothing to the discussion:

"Oh well, welcome to the "new west"! Oh my gosh, I just noticed in one of the photos... you can get your "helmet" rigged, either with the point to the front or the rear. How cool!"

Another example with be presidential candidate Perry calling Bernanke a traitor.

Or calling the Ride4Yellow cycling event organizers pimps who are prostituting Steamboat.....