Bob E. Sherman: No dogs allowed

I’m halfway through my three-week visit to Steamboat. While I am enjoying my stay, I seem to be the only person traveling without a dog. It’s a well-known fact that dogs love art shows and jazz concerts. However, I didn’t know dogs love road trips so much. The “no pet” signs I see around town are apparently only suggestions. The signs at Canyon Creek, where I’m staying, apparently apply only to the “other guy.”

I attended a concert at Stagecoach State Park. Several people with dogs walked down the stairway before stopping at the “no pets” sign and turning around. I also visited the Strawberry Park Hot Springs. I lost count of the number of people who showed up with dogs and argued with the attendant, when they were told no dogs were allowed in the spring and they had to be kept in the car.

I wonder whether kennels are so expensive or dogs love road trips and hiking.

Bob E. Sherman

Hallandale, Fla.

Comments

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey I live here, and I'm about sick of dogs myself. Woof woof, my 6 AM alarm. Out in the country, province of nuisance skunks, coyotes, and deer, I can see a practical need for a dog. They should be banned in town. No neighborhood is immune. Woof.

heboprotagonist 2 years, 8 months ago

@Hwystar- I'm not sure if your comment is sarcasm or not. Dogs banned in town? I hope you're kidding. My two "inside" dogs have kept the skunk that wanted to live under my shed from doing just that. If you're annoyed by a barking dog, call animal control. Better yet have a friendly conversation with the dogs owner.

I moved to CO b/c I knew it was a dog friendly area. I work for a business that has a dog on site, and allows customers to bring in their dogs. And at a restaurant I'd much rather sit next to a couple with a dog than with a baby. Most dog-owners in Steamboat seem to take pride in having well-behaved pets- I wish they'd do the same with their children.

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

I've lived in this location for two years, and I have yet to have occasion to meet the neighbors who own the dog which woke me up this morning. I worked late last night. It howls as I type, owners nowhere near. 9 AM is not an abnormal hour for a woofy dog, so I think I will leave the officials out of it. Meanwhile that damn dog makes a ghetto out of the "affordable" neighborhood. I've had issues with barky neighbors' dogs before, don't want to reopen that can of worms.

We had cats out in Sleepy Bear, kept the critters away, except the occasional vole or bird gift they brought in. They were clean, and QUIET, and had a sense of dignity I find lacking in dogs. I love the Welsh Corgi a couple doors over; he's not the culprit. It's one of his brethren, gives them all a bad name, probably should've been left at the pound, or taken there now. Woof.

chickadee 2 years, 8 months ago

Hi Rhys, please consider my suggestion in the name of animal welfare and peaceful neighborhoods:

Contact your neighbor and in explain your concern about the dog. Your neighbor --should --but might not --realize that his or her dog is miserable and causing nuisance to others while he is away

Offer your services (for a fee) to check on the dog and to take the dog for a leash walk when the neighbor is away for long periods of time.

The solution that I propose would benefit everyone. The owners should pay someone to tend to their dog if they cannot do it themselves. For them to not pay for such services harms the dog and forces an economic externality upon you.

If you walk the dog, that will get you away from the computer for a while and give you some fresh air (trust me, FRESH air is good for you--try it) and healthy exercise.

I am not trying to be an a-hole by offering the obvious solution. I am trying to help the dog. The dog did not choose to be neglected. While you were typing the above you could have been walking that dog.

Who does not need more exercise? Does MMJ do away with the need (or desire? motivation?) to exercise? Does MMJ affect one's ability to find solutions to problems that are obvious solutions?

I am not being disingenuous as to the mmj questions. I really do not know < or care enough to research> the answer to any question about mmj. There is space here < > for you to inform me. In less than ten thousand words, please. Or, you could go walk that dog and enjoy the FRESH air.

bandmama 2 years, 8 months ago

chickadee- Are you really serious????? Let me tell ya a little tale about my neighbor's barking dog. A lab, who is walked AT least three times a day, and at least once at night, as well as being the fortunate recipient of a nice LARGE fenced yard that he is the ruler of. Still Barks. Constantly. At birds, any bird, at anytime. We have come to the conclusion that while a very sweet pup, he missed out in the brain department. And where do you get off telling someone to take responsibility for someone elses pet? My neighbor has done everything she possibly can do to be a good neighbor and a good pet owner. She just got stuck with a dumb, but lovable animal. Your "obvious solution" is asinine and a poor attempt to again bring something into debate that has nothing to do with the article. And while you were typing your dog wasn't being walked. And I tried to keep this under ten thousand words.

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 8 months ago

chickadee, Rhys doesn't drive a car. Hasn't for years. Rides his bike EVERYWHERE. I'm sure he gets plenty of fresh air.

Rhys, find out who owns that dog and give chickadee the info. She/he apparently has the time and desire to further the cause of "animal welfare and peaceful neighborhoods."

30 words.

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

Wow, all these suggestions. When I saw the number of responses, I was sure I was in for a grilling for being an insensitive cad.

I almost got in trouble last time, ill-considered words late at night, would rather not have the first time I meet the neighbors to be in a squabble over their dog. Anybody trying to sleep at 8 AM is lazy anyway. Never denied it.

Phoebe's right, I ride a lot, and bus, and flop (ergo walk; tore a pesky calf muscle). The state did me a favor, revoking my driving privileges, so long ago. Could've gotten them back long ago, too, but why? The buses go everywhere, and the same hills are easier on the same Trek now, than they were 24 years ago, when I bought it.

Thanks, Colorado!! Mess with someone else. Now about these damn dogs...

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 8 months ago

Wow, welcome aboard the Acrimony Express. I haven't lived in town for a few years, but when I did my experiences were almost exclusively positive. My favorite encounter from a few summers ago:

I had just finished jogging at Spring Creek, & was stretching & cooling down at the trailhead, with my dog in attendance. I heard someone say "you should muzzle that damn dog."

I looked up to see a 20-something all gothed out - all in black, tats & piercings; wearing a trenchcoat in freaking July.

"What's the problem?"

"Look at him!" Sherman had caught & killed a field mouse.

"Yeah, he's a pretty good mouser."

"That mouse deserves to live as much as that damn dog!"

I was so flabbergasted that all I could do is laugh. Goth boy turn red, and stomped away to whine another day. Entertainment - it's all around us.

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah. c'mon around and be entertained any weekday morning.

Kevin Chapman 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey Bob, Next time bring your dog, the LOVE vacations!

david niedermeier 2 years, 8 months ago

Just like to say thanks to the D-Bag with the unleashed dog who jumped out in front of my first grader today at Butcher-knife park sending him over the handlebars. Classy.

Bob E Sherman 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm back in Florida and came across all these comments. I'm pleased to see I started a healthy discussion.Or maybe we should add dogs to the list things not to talk about, along with politics and religion. I really enjoyed my stay in Steamboat and I never stepped in anything. I look forward to coming back. I was optimistic about winning the Boy Scout Muffin Plop raffle as people dump on me all the time, but it didn't happen. Was anyone from Steamboat at Temple Sinai in Miami for the Rosh Hashanah Services? There were two dogs at the service and I'm sorry to say the barking was a little annoying.

rhys jones 2 years, 6 months ago

Hi Bob!! Thanks for bringing this back up. So many times I've wanted to.

We got new neighbors next door, with a dog that's not bad, but has a deep bark that will jerk you out of a sound sleep. They let it in, but not before you are wide awake, still trembling. And growling yourself.

Then there's the coon hound caddy-corner, with the long plaintive wail for every moving creature. Will land my space ship out of its trance instantly.

I hope to relocate closer to town, if not into, in the very near future, but I fear that is one curse I will not shake -- dogs are universal, almost mandatory, in mountain towns.

Dogs are like children: They should be seen, and not heard. And good luck with that.