Oak Creek Town Board member Lawrence Jaconetta was booked into Routt County Jail on Friday morning.

Courtesy photo

Oak Creek Town Board member arrested

Lawrence Jaconetta in custody on suspicion of harassment, menacing

photo

Lawrence Jaconetta

— Oak Creek Town Board member Lawrence Jaconetta, 35, was booked into Routt County Jail on Friday morning on suspicion of harassment and menacing, both misdemeanors, for reportedly making threatening phone calls to a South Routt resident.

According to the affidavit, Jaconetta allegedly made several angry phone calls to Maynard Short in response to a letter Short wrote to the editor of the Steamboat Pilot & Today about medical marijuana in Oak Creek. The letter was published in the April 24 edition of the newspaper.

According to the affidavit, Short said Jaconetta expressed disagreement with the content of Short’s letter and made threatening statements in the phone calls, which began at 5 p.m. Thursday.

On the second call, Jaconetta reportedly left a message that asked Short to call him back “or I will be hunting you down, day or night,” according to the affidavit.

The affidavit said the following message included remarks threatening that Short’s concerns “might be justified in an obituary” better than in the newspaper.

In the final message, left at about 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Jaconetta reportedly called Short a coward.

Short called police at about 10 p.m. and Routt County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Jacob Carlson met with Short at his home in Phippsburg. Short told Carlson he feared for his life.

Carlson arrested Jaconetta and booked him into jail Friday morning. At a Routt County Court appearance at 1 p.m. Friday, Judge James Garrecht set bail at $750.

Jaconetta, who was elected to the Oak Creek Town Board in April 2010, did not attend Thursday’s Oak Creek Town Board meeting. Mayor Nikki Knoebel said Jaconetta expressed an interest in resigning before the meeting but has not officially resigned his position.

Comments

seeuski 3 years, 7 months ago

I thought pot made people mellow. Maybe try a different strain there Jaco. Goes along with the anger expressed at those who don't toke or who have anti drug opinions. And they ask why we stay anonymous.

hereandthere 3 years, 7 months ago

Anti-drug opinions? I don't believe any of you guys are anti-drug, just anti-pot. We saw what happened when your drug got outlawed. One of the things that has not been discussed is why it took a constitutional amendment to outlaw your drug, but when it comes to pot, we have buerecrats making these decisions for us. Those same evil buerecrats that you guys vilify about making decisions regarding your health care. The answer actually speaks volumes about the whole farce that is the war on drugs. Has more to do with political agendas, and some really crappy people (starting with Nixon). And yes, citizens of our great country do get angry when their rights are taken away. I'm sure that should not come as a surprise to you. Stay anonymous.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 7 months ago

Actually, I saw him briefly about 6 pm and he had been drinking and was wound up.

Once again, it would seem that Town should ban alcohol businesses and revoke liquor licenses as that would stop this sort of bad behavior.

1999 3 years, 7 months ago

I saw him...he was drunk.

alchohol should be banned. it's taking far too many city and county resources to fight this alchohol drug.

drunks walking around the streets..CHILDREN SEEING DRUNKS!!!!!!!

truly appaling.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 7 months ago

Why is alcohol legal? Seriously, anyone, why is alcohol legal?

And now, why don't those reasons apply to marijuana?

cargo 3 years, 7 months ago

Lawrence is a good man. Opinionated, but good. Maynard is a good man. Opinionated, but good. This is all very, very unfortunate.

thalgard 3 years, 7 months ago

Even the magical green herb is no cure for "jerk when drunk disease"!

max huppert 3 years, 7 months ago

Scott you get angry when you drink all the soda, we should ban that also. but maybe you were angry at something else and not the soda and i just thought it was the soda.

flower 3 years, 7 months ago

Drugs and alcohol are included in most of the town board/mayor's activites, why expect better?

seeuski 3 years, 7 months ago

I think pot should be legalized and just like any other scrips, regulated. Alcohol is regulated, you can't legally moonshine or bootleg. I never said anything about banning drugs. So why all the hype?

And glad to know that hereandthere is alcohol free since she thinks that is my drug. And looking at the photo of Jaco I would venture to guess that those are the eyes of a smoker toker. Dude!

Scott Wedel 3 years, 7 months ago

Seesuki, Actually, for alcohol you can home brew and no one cares.

seeuski 3 years, 7 months ago

They will if you sell it. I'll make a deal with you Scott, if our Government does their job and protects our sovereignty at the border I'll join your legalize pot movement, as long as it is regulated and taxed just like alcohol is or cigarettes are. Doesn't mean I'll toke with you though.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 7 months ago

Seesuki, Well, not being a lawyer, my understanding is that under Colorado law, it is highly doubtful that a person could grow at home and legally sell it. Which is the same situation as home brewing.

You want it treated the same as tobacco and alcohol, so you are suggesting federal subsidies for growers? I wouldn't go that far.

As for the sovereignty and border issue, if you will define it as primarily undocumented workers and accept the importance of a credible worker id database that can basically immediately identify people working under fraudulent SSNs (duplicate or false or person in retirement home, etc) then we can agree. It is just real hard to support a very ineffective expensive gauntlet at the border and then weak checks after that and allows all sorts of people from Eastern Europe and so on overstay visas and such.

dogking09 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree with seeusski- protect our borders and ill join the 'lets get high legally' movement- but seriously folks, stop trying to sell this whole idea that marijuana is medically advantageous- its hype and crap. I smoked weed for 28 years- i got just as sick as now, the flu came and went just like now, i got headaches actually more then- my cancer hurt just as much then as now...but you all know what...my lungs feel GREAT since i quit smoking dope, pot , marijuana. I was a proactivist for years for legalizing marijuana- and i sold everyone the same hype about its medicinal purposes but i knew it was BS-and that same idea is what is upsetting so many folks. It IS a drug. It IS as bad as smoking tobacco. It IS addicting. It has affected many lives in a negative way. With that said, it should be legal just like all drugs should be, alchohol included. just stop the crap that its beneficial to our health BTW i have known lawrence for a long long long time. This isnt surprising at all- he would have gotten as abusive high or drunk- so stop that crap too.. - i like lawrence alot however as should be stated. i also like maynard. Lawrence got what he deserved- fortunately Manynard is an old man..if he would have been 20 years younger i doubt Lawrences mugshot would have been so pretty.but then like they say' if your gunna be dumb you better be tough' lawrence....idiot move buddy

dogking09 3 years, 7 months ago

Scott, ineffective arguement on the illegals my friend. They should not be defined as 'undocumented workers' they are here illegal. thus, illegal immigrant. It is ILLEGAL to cross our sovereign borders!!! I also like your response to "a very ineffective expensive gauntlet at the border"..how much money do you think illegals bleed from this country every day? Vis-a-vis, the two are not even close - comparing the cost of better border control versus the amount of drain on our economy by illegal workers. In addition, the notion that you bring forward regarding the problem that overstays on visas and the border are equal is preposterous. There is no comparison in the cost to our education, welfare and economy between the two.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 7 months ago

Securing the border is a joke of a plan for dealing with illegal immigration. Sure, it should be patrolled in populous areas and smuggling routes, but it is stupid the way we are spending so much to try to secure the border. Illegals are here to earn money from work and if we were to have good timely employment checks then we could make it far harder for an illegal to get and retain a job. It is stupid easy for someone to present false papers and not be caught. Several friends could present papers with same SSN and fact that person is working 200 hours a week could go undetected. Same SSN could have jobs in Denver and SB working as dishwasher.

It is stupid how this country is allowing corporations to dilute worker verification and is instead spending so much to create an ineffective gauntlet along the border.

As for mj, I do not argue that it is a miracle herb with health benefits. There are a few people with severe conditions that some mj lets them take less narcotics and such, but that is not what the debate about mmj is about. What mmj is really about is creating a means of regulating it since just about anyone can get a mmj license. MMJ is a convenient means towards legalizing. It should be legal not because people should use it, but because prohibition has fundamentally failed and is benefiting smugglers and drug dealers. And it can be legalized because it does not have the harm or side effects that are so unacceptable to justify it remaining illegal. I would not legalize meth, cocaine and such because those drugs kill people all the time. By any standard, alcohol is worse than mmj.

kathy foos 3 years, 7 months ago

Its not just the illegals workers getting over here that hurts us directly every day in many ways monetarily,it causes a division between those american's that think its all fine and those of us who have never liked it.If I express an opinion against the illegals,I get labeled a bigot,which I resent.I comment all of the time in favor of border control in many papers not under my real name,thats the only way that I can think of to help stop it ,besides voting.On this paper I was banned twice for doing just that,and now must put my name on the comments when I would rather not.This is the only paper I have ever registered with that makes you wait for a phone call to comment,its strange.The paper encourages reals names ,but wont print just one name on the "our view",but a blanket of names to cover each others opinions.No one even monitors personal attacks and slimy comments by anyone.Anything goes except comments on the border issue.I would help more Seesuki on this issue as I consider it the most important,but I'm sure to get kicked off for it.I will help out to get the border secured.I read were Jan Brewer is going to have Arizona fence it off themselves,that made me happy.I wish I lived there to volunteer my labor to help.

seeuski 3 years, 7 months ago

@dogking09 You must stop reading my mind my friend. I can only agree 100% with your answer to Scott as I have been down this road with him and others too many times. I also was a party animal and smoked the peace pipe but I guess our personal life experiences means zero to others. I meant it when I said to Scott I would join him if our Government did it's job at the border but as you see then came the junk science and mental gyrations regarding the illegal immigrant problem. I won't spend any more time loading links to real time stats on what this issue costs the US Taxpayer in social services and crime or the damage done to our natural environment and MLB land along the border. I await their hypocritical whinings about the environment, that we are purportedly destroying the earth by living and breathing and then I bring out the examples of real time earth destruction caused by the flow of illegals and presto, they cower away. They ignore the reality that we have proof of thousands of Muslim terrorists who are crossing the border with bad intentions but hey, I must be a bigot. No, I just choose to understand that we are being set up by this Government who recently was exposed for purposely making southern gun dealers sell firearms to Mexican Drug Cartels and that those weapons have killed many including Americans. Mexico is getting ready to sue those dealers, unbelievable what the anti 2nd amendment crowd will do to get their way. Hurry up 2012.

seeuski 3 years, 7 months ago

Ah what the heck, this is too important to ignore.

"The result is a full-on invasion of the United States. According to the FBI, the drug cartels operate in nearly every American city, bringing their home invasions, kidnappings, assassinations, and beheadings with them. " "The cartels have established marijuana plantations in U.S. National Forests and Parks across the country, intimidating park rangers who try to interfere. A cooking fire in one such plantation in California started a major forest fire a few years ago near Los Angeles. Environmentalist organizations have been silent." "George Bush wanted an open border and pushed for illegal alien amnesty to please Republicans' Big Business constituencies. Employers love the cheap labor and love letting the taxpayer pick up the social costs. Barack Obama wants an open border and is pushing for illegal alien amnesty to get reelected. To Obama, these folks are undocumented Democratic voters. As Harry Reid proved in his reelection, the combination of union thuggery and illegal alien votes can overcome negative polls and produce a victory. The Reid lesson was not lost on Obama. This bipartisan consensus to keep the border open is threatening our national security. Thousands of "OTM" (Other Than Mexican) apprehensions, including nationals from every terrorist nation, testify to our vulnerability. Many thousands more cross the border undetected and undeterred. We the People must demand freedom for Jesus Diaz, a secure border, orderly immigration, and an end to the feds suing states and prosecuting law enforcement officers for enforcing the law."

Scott Wedel 3 years, 7 months ago

It is no "mental gyration" to recognize that much of the money spent for border security, particularly in remote areas, is not effective when illegal immigrants have other means of getting into the country. That the fence is more effective in photographs to ignorant voters than as an actual deterrent. Drones are far more effective, cost much less, but do not photograph well.

Meanwhile, we have an employment verification that is so pathetic when a generic data mining application would be far more effective in determining employees to double check and inform employees of suspected id theft. It shows how cynically the issue is being handled politically to put on a big show and do as little as possible to stop them from working once here. We spent billions ineffectively on the border and very little on a crippled employee verification system

dogking09 3 years, 7 months ago

I have a right to earn money too. illegal immigrants do not have that 'right'! and any and all american citizens who knowingly hire an illegal should be sent back to wherever that illegal is from (94% from our southern border) - to lose their citizenship! Pretty Loud and Liberal I know...but thats how i feel. These people are hiring illegal immigrants to save themselves money...they dont give a darn about the plight etc.. its a greed factor. These illegals dont pay taxes, they dont have insurance, and they send their profit to Mexico!!! How can i compete with that in the workplace? I pay taxes, have insurance, a family and i have lived HERE for 25 years!!! I am currently bidding on projects against companies who use illegal immigrants and my bid is LESS than 1985 prices!!!!!!!

Dont be surprised if you start seeing me on the courthouse lawn this summer...i wont have nothing else to do!!

Eric J. Bowman 3 years, 7 months ago

"Actually, for alcohol you can home brew and no one cares."

Up to a point, beyond which you'll need to be licensed as a microbrewery or brewpub, and subjected to local zoning regulations regarding such operations. You're not allowed to sell your homebrew, but you can give it away to those over 21.

dogking09 3 years, 7 months ago

also it sounds to me as you support the illegal immigrant contingency in steamboat, routt county, colorado and USA,

Its to bad that renting to illegals isnt illegal also. Im not saying anything its just my opinion in this case.