Questions linger in Steamboat library stabbing

Steamboat police detective preparing report for DA’s office

photo

Courtesy photo

Adam Crawford Huber

— The Steamboat Springs Police Department plans to complete its investigation this week of the April 4 stabbing at Bud Werner Memorial Library, but there will likely be some unanswered questions.

Steamboat police Detective Dave Kleiber said he is finalizing witness statements and compiling them into a report that he will deliver to the Routt County District Attorney’s Office. Blood samples and knives are being sent to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation for analysis.

Kleiber said he has interviewed more than a dozen witnesses in addition to the three teenage boys involved in the altercation with 40-year-old Adam Huber on a balcony above the library’s teen reading area. Kleiber said Huber has refused to be interviewed by police.

At the time of the altercation, there was no one else on the balcony, Kleiber said. Witnesses he has spoken to include adults and teens who were below the balcony as well as other people who witnessed parts of the incident from different locations on the main level of the library.

“People were wondering if they were just horsing around,” Kleiber said.

He said witnesses close to the balcony reported that the three teenage boys were being “loud, obnoxious and inappropriate” on the balcony near a windowsill where Huber was resting. Huber confronted the boys about their behavior in a calm manner, according to witnesses.

Kleiber said it is unclear who touched whom first and how the incident became physical. At some point, police think Huber grabbed a teen’s wrist, the boys laughed at Huber and Huber put a boy in a headlock. Witnesses reported that Huber tried to throw that boy over the balcony. A 14-year-old boy intervened, put Huber in a headlock and was stabbed in the hands with a knife by Huber during the fight, police think. Huber then calmly walked down from the balcony, and library staff met him there.

The mother of the 14-year-old boy who was stabbed said last week that her son was expected to recover but would likely need physical therapy. She said it sounded like Huber was insulted with the way the boys may have shrugged Huber off when he initially confronted them.

“The guy woke up and didn’t like the way they were joking around,” the mother said. “I think he got insulted with how they were acknowledging him.”

She said her son got involved in the fight because he was afraid for his friend.

“If he hadn’t stepped in, that boy could have gone over the balcony,” the mother said.

She said the situation sounded chaotic.

“Teens can be obnoxious, but he didn’t deserve to be stabbed,” she said.

— To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

jk 3 years, 8 months ago

I think the word she was looking for was antagonizing? I bet he thinks twice about antagonizi... I mean acknowledging someone again.

bandmama 3 years, 8 months ago

"teens can be obnoxious, but he didn't deserve to be stabbed." No, he didn't deserve to be stabbed. But at 14 my "teen" knew better than to be obnoxious in a public place. If he had been, he would have caught HELL at home. If at 14 the kid doesn't know or acknowledge appropriate behavior, he should not have been allowed to be unsupervised in the library. Or anywhere else. Hire a babysitter. It isn't the staff's job (or anyone else's) to babysit unpaid for your child. If you know they can not behave in a manner befitting thier age, why are they allowed to roam unsupervised? OH I know! It is much easier than being responsible yourself.

Colette Erickson 3 years, 8 months ago

Teens are "obnoxious" because their parents allow them to be so.

1999 3 years, 8 months ago

and there you have it folks...a mother making excuses for her "obnoxious" unsupervised kids.

Guinevere 3 years, 8 months ago

What's with the weird comments - does the stabber have a PR firm? Hello, this loser stabbed someone, who cares if he was antagonized. This was a major scary crime not to mention he could have paralyzed the other kid if he had succeeded in throwing him over the balcony. The 14-year-old prevented that. Do you hate kids so much that you'd defend the stabber sleeping in the library? I guess you always behaved perfectly when you were 14. It would be better to not allow comments at all than to have ones as dumb as these.

bandmama 3 years, 8 months ago

Guinevere- As I stated, no the kid should not have been stabbed, and no the other should not have been dangled from the balcony. And YES! At 14 I did behave. My parents didn't make excuses. My parents would have been the ones dangling ME from the balcony had I behaved as these kids did. I dont hate kids, I have tried to raise mine to respect themselves enough not to disrespect others. And quite honestly the A&& kicking I know I would have gotten kept me in line when I was that age. I knew that I would have someone to answer to had I done what these kids did, not an ADULT who made excuses and excused bad behavior. Do you have kids? Would you be proud of them had they been heckling a homeless person? Would you be one who makes excuses? Or would you have the kid who knew better than to be the cause of an incident like this one?

Queenie 3 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like there is blame on both sides, but stabbing a kid? No excuse for that. Good thing bandmama was a perfect child and has perfect kids. At least she won't have to worry about that.

Oscar 3 years, 8 months ago

What about the possibility that Huber was defending himself while being attacked by three obnoxious, unsupervised teenagers?

Brian Kotowski 3 years, 8 months ago

Those of us who have been here long enough remember homeless Herb. He was a regular at Mocha's, where I once bought him a meal and shared a conversation. If Mocha's had had a "teen area", I suppose these kids would have viewed Herb as a target. That Queenie believes civility requires perfection says more about her than I think she realizes.

Queenie 3 years, 8 months ago

Sep: you misrepresent me completely. I said nothing of the sort.

Brian Kotowski 3 years, 8 months ago

Actually, I think I got it about right. According to you, what happened to Huber’s victims could never happen to bandmama and her brood, because they’re so perfect. You said it, not bandmama or me. You sacrificed clarity in service to sarcasm, and I drew a perfectly reasonable conclusion.

Huber's in jail where he belongs, and there's plenty of blame to go around. I hope the parents of Huber's victims are taking a good look in the mirror. At no point in my childhood, adolescence, or adulthood has it ever occurred to me to antagonize, provoke, or attack a complete stranger. Not because I'm perfect, but because I was raised to regard that sort of behavior as unthinkable.

seeuski 3 years, 8 months ago

There are no perfect kids and there should not be armed homeless people sleeping in the library. And I once gave ten bucks to a street peddler.

Queenie 3 years, 8 months ago

Sep: "At no point in my childhood, adolescence, or adulthood has it ever occurred to me to antagonize, provoke, or attack a complete stranger."

You do it here all the time.

And your "perfectly reasonable" (to you ) conclusion is simply your assumption of me based on extrememly minimal information. You give yourself way too much credit.

People in glass houses....that's my point. No matter what you seem to think you know of me.

Brian Kotowski 3 years, 8 months ago

Arguing politics and current events online=antagonizing & ganging up on a homeless man in a public place. That's good to know. Maybe you should call the police, given how unruly and out of control I am.

bandmama 3 years, 8 months ago

Sep-Thank you, very well put! And yes, we do remember Herb. Queenie- thought about how to respond, and the only thing I can say is, if your idea of a "perfect child" is one who knows how to act appropriately with respect and civility towards others in public as well as private situations, then YES, I do have a perfect child. Thanks for pointing that out, as I have never thought of him as being "perfect". Just was raised with manners and respect. And, FYI, there are apparently MANY perfect children in this little valley we call home who would never have behaved in the manner that these brats did. Lets give a little shout out to ALL of our perfect children!

Aaron Murphy 3 years, 8 months ago

seeuski-

that's the most logical thing I've heard anyone say in the comments on all the articles relating to this event.

well done.

brian ferguson 3 years, 8 months ago

I just have to wonder if this started out as a "gee, lets film us messing with the homeless guy and post it on you tube" moment.