Steamboat Springs High School student Kyle Cavaretta uses a computer in the teen room Tuesday at Bud Werner Memorial Library. A man is accused of stabbing another teen through the hands in an incident Monday.

Photo by John F. Russell

Calm returns to Steamboat Springs' library

Altercation, stabbing Monday described as random, isolated incident

photo

Courtesy photo

Adam Crawford Huber

— Tuesday was just another day after school at Bud Werner Memorial Library for Sam McClure.

The Steamboat Springs Middle School seventh-grader said he is at the library five times a week, and he could be found in his usual spot in the teen area playing computer games or working on homework.

“More quiet than usual,” Sam said. “Probably because of what happened.”

Sam said he had been in the teen reading area a day earlier at about the same time, when he heard noise coming from the balcony above. He would learn later that a classmate had been stabbed in the hands.

“I saw the whole thing from right here,” Sam said. “We thought they were playing.”

Sam said he saw a man, who had been sleeping by the window, try to lift one of his classmates over the railing.

“Then I saw the blade when he was walking away, and that’s when I got scared,” Sam said.

Despite the incident Monday, after talking to his parents, Sam was not concerned.

“They said, ‘Don’t worry, these things don’t happen much,’” Sam said.

Police suspect that Adam Crawford Huber, 40, was sleeping in the library, and he woke to confront a group of three boys ages 13 to 16 who witnesses said were being loud and obnoxious.

Steamboat police Detective Dave Kleiber said Tuesday that witnesses said Huber’s demeanor was “very calm, very much (matter) of fact, not threatening, not loud.”

It is unclear how the situation escalated, Kleiber said, but police think Huber grabbed a boy by the wrist, according to an affidavit filed by Steamboat Springs Police Department officer Doug Scherar. The boys then began laughing at Huber, and Huber put a boy in a headlock, according to the affidavit. At one point, Huber grabbed the boy’s legs and tried to throw him over the balcony, the affidavit states. The 14-year-old then jumped on Huber and put him in a headlock. Police think Huber pulled a knife and stabbed the boy in his hands. Huber walked down from the balcony, where library staff met him and escorted him to an office.

The 14-year-old was treated at Yampa Valley Medical Center for puncture wounds to his hands and is expected to recover, Kleiber said.

“His hands are all bandaged up, but he seems to be in pretty good spirits,” he said.

Kleiber said Huber was found with a pocketknife and multitool, and he declined to be interviewed by police.

Police and others say Monday’s stabbing was a random, isolated incident that could happen anywhere.

“I think Steamboat is part of America, and there are so many people who want to believe you are living in a Shangri-La here, but the same bad things that happen in America happen here, and they happen at about the same frequency in relation to the size of our population,” Kleiber said.

Despite Monday’s incident, the library was busy with patrons.

“I feel safe in the library like always,” Steamboat Springs High School junior Kyle Cavaretta said.

Some parents were still comfortable leaving their teens at the library.

“Both my boys go there all the time, and I have no issues at all,” said Dave McClure, Sam’s father. “They’ll be safe. I’m not feeling uneasy at all.”

Library Director Chris Painter described the library as peaceful and calm Tuesday, although senior staff members were in meetings much of the day tending to business and discussing Monday’s incident.

Painter said that she was stunned by the incident and that efforts are being made to make sure staff are educated about procedures and how to deal with problems. Painter and police say library staff members should be commended for how they handled the incident.

“A situation like this provides an opportunity for learning,” Painter said. “I absolutely want to do everything in my power so people feel safe. It’s still our hometown library, and it was a very unusual and random incident and a very unfortunate one.”

Huber's bail set at $100,000

Bail was set at $100,000 Tuesday for the man accused of stabbing a teenager in the hands at Bud Werner Memorial Library.

Huber was arrested Monday on suspicion of second-degree assault and attempted first-degree assault. Both are Class 4 felonies.

Huber appeared in Routt County Court on Tuesday before Judge James Garrecht, who advised Huber of his rights via video conferencing.

The Routt County District Attorney’s Office had not filed charges yet, but Deputy District Attorney Rusty Prindle told the court Huber would be charged with second-degree assault.

“There may be additional charges filed, but we will have to review all the reports,” Prindle said.

Prindle recommended Huber’s bail be set at $20,000.

“I guess I view this more harshly than the DA’s office does,” Garrecht said. “I’m going to set bond at $100,000.”

Huber, who is believed to have lived in Steamboat for about the past year at various locations, had not yet retained a lawyer, and he is scheduled to return to court at 1 p.m. today.

About 20 people who said they were friends and supporters of Huber’s — some said they had lived with him — attended Tuesday’s hearing. That included Chris Spradlin, pastor of Euzoa Bible Church. Huber had attended his church for about the past year, and Spradlin said he wanted to go to the hearing because he liked Huber.

“I’m not going because I know what happened,” Spradlin said. “I said I’m going because I like him and believe in him. He’s a pretty good guy. He may have made a dumb decision. I don’t know. I guess the courts can figure some of that out.”

— To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

Tommie Belz 3 years, 8 months ago

He's homeless for cryin out loud! I'm almost certain Hubers one phone call wasn't going to be to Donald Trump!

bandmama 3 years, 8 months ago

Ummmmm... well, I guess If the parents were not present and depended on the staff to babysit, this is what may happen if depending on the staff at the public library to watch your offspring, ahhhhh..... The staff is not your babysitter, call!!! Say "HI! I am so and so and MY kid(s) are supposed to be there, are they??? Are they being decent human beings? Small town. everyone knows someone, check up on your responsibility. Not that hard to do. Because I work in a public place, it doesn't make me responsible for your kid, BUT I do have a responsibility to my employer for liability...sad isn't it? Can we say catch 22?

1999 3 years, 8 months ago

100,000$????

oh well...I guess he has a roof over his head and 3 squares.

OnTheBusGus 3 years, 8 months ago

Just read in the Denver Post that the woman who dragged the tow truck driver to death in C Spring got a $50K bond. How do judges determine these amounts? 1999 is right, at least Huber is being sheltered and fed during this next snowstorm.

sledneck 3 years, 8 months ago

So the kid or his parents can't sue the guy cause he has nothing. Will they sue the library/ city?

I love how you guys sound so relieved that the guy is "sheltered and fed". It wasn't bothering you the day before!

"Welcome to Steamboat Springs- the San Fransisco of the rockies".

1999 3 years, 8 months ago

i'm not really all that relieved nor do I really care.

my point was that the bond is so high he will never pay it and thus WE will be paying for him to stay in jail.

why would the kids sue? (though I'm sure little "johnie" is so distraught...)...their clearly jerks who need a couple smacks up side the head.

I'd like for them to go to Denver and F^&% with some homeless guy there.

I'd like to think the kids learned a valuable lesson in life but ...i won't hold my breath.

I'm sure the parents will find SOMEONE else at fault. And someone to sue

hubiem 3 years, 8 months ago

why was a homeless guy allowed to sleep inside the library? isn't it kind of weird that a 40 year old man is hanging out in the teen section of the library? if the staff would have kicked him out in the first place, none of this would have happened. the boys obviously did something to bother the guy, but if he wasn't there in the first place it wouldn't have happened.

OnTheBusGus 3 years, 8 months ago

1999 & Sled, I should have used the sarcastic font in regards to Huber's shelter & food. A homeless man's dream, it is.

jk 3 years, 8 months ago

"Rae said Huber was on the balcony above the library’s teen reading area, and may have been asleep."

"Police suspect that Adam Crawford Huber, 40, was sleeping in the library."

So first off which one of these is true? Second Is the balcony above the teen reading area in the teen area??

I was also wondering had he been in working on a computer in the teen reading area, like the 27 year old witness would that have been ok? How come nobody is complaining of her presence??

Doug Matthews 3 years, 8 months ago

I have seen Mr. Huber at different events in town, and he always seemed to be a mellow, if outside the mainstream, individual. He was resting or asleep in the library, which was inappropriate. He was on the balcony above the teen area, not in the teen area. He is not a large man. He was molested by three teenagers, with their pack mentality. It sounds like the teens started the physical contact, which escalated to his defending himself against being attacked by 3 people, one of which had their hands or arms around his neck. He pulled out a pocketknife, and defended himself. He didn't resist the consequences of the altercation, waiting in an office until police officers arrived. Get real Garrecht. This is not a violent individual, but someone who doesn't fit in to conventional society, who was defending himself against a group of punk teenagers.

seeuski 3 years, 8 months ago

Uh zorro, You should read the story again. The 40 year old first put a teen in a choke hold and then the other kid jumped on the old homeless loiterer to help his friend. Then the old, calm, peaceful, loiterer tried to throw one of the kids over the balcony. Then the old, peaceful, sleepy, vagrant pulled out his peaceful, calm knife and stabbed a 14 year old boy through and through on both hands. It sure sounds to me like this calm, sleepy, peaceful, nice, poor, needy transient intended to do harm with a deadly weapon. IN THE TEEN AREA OF THE LIBRARY.

"police think Huber grabbed a boy by the wrist, according to an affidavit filed by Steamboat Springs Police Department officer Doug Scherar. The boys then began laughing at Huber, and Huber put a boy in a headlock, according to the affidavit. At one point, Huber grabbed the boy’s legs and tried to throw him over the balcony, the affidavit states. The 14-year-old then jumped on Huber and put him in a headlock. Police think Huber pulled a knife and stabbed the boy in his hands. Huber walked down from the balcony, where library staff met him and escorted him to an office."

So kids laughing at a 40 year old warrants attempted murder?

seeuski 3 years, 8 months ago

StarBrite, put down the pot pipe bro, we get the sarcasm.

Aaron Murphy 3 years, 8 months ago

I personally like all the comments about how the victim's parents are surely going to sue someone for damages, and since the man appears to have nothing, then surely they're going to try to sue the library.

I'd like to think they're relieved that things didn't turn out any worse than they did, not conjuring up a way to make a quick buck because their kid was stabbed. The article says he was stabbed through the hands, was transported to the hospital, bandaged up, and released. The child wasn't stabbed in the chest, not in the face, no internal damage, no long term damage. This could have been a lot worse than it was. How about a little respect for the victim, and his family?

There seems to be an awful lot of speculation going on from people who weren't witnesses to the scene. Nothing wrong with that, it sparks conversation, but don't try to pass speculation off as fact.

beentheredonethat 3 years, 8 months ago

was this kid being a PUNK and hazing mr. burton? i bet the kid was asking for trouble by picking on a homeless individual.....maybe this will teach him to be respectful to all human beings. he is lucky he did not receive more serious stab wounds. too bad this punk did not try to harass me....he would have been slapped around...and then dropped off at his parents work place.

mtroach 3 years, 8 months ago

Sled, I can't belive you don't support a citizen having and bearing arms against a band of teenage hoogalans. It is Huber's right from God to be able to defend himself.

I have little sympathy for teenage boys that kick a hornet's nest and get stung.

Schneegas223 3 years, 8 months ago

If this was your kid how the hell would you feel? Stop saying the damn kid deserved it.

mtroach 3 years, 8 months ago

My point was if they had left the man alone and asked the library staff to remove him all thiscould have been avoided. Its somewhat ironic that the pro gun lobby on this forum isn't on the side of the outnumbered and armed. Many posters on this forum advocate taking justice or law enforcement into the hands of an angry mob and not waiting for the police or justice system to work. For examples of this take a quick glance at the comments posted on the story about the recent dog shooting or at the first story about this incident where several forumites boasted about how if they were on hand they could have blasted a soluition to this with their hidden handguns.

xxcolorado_galxx 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm sorry but he's an adult!!! It doesn't matter if my little brother and his friends were being obnoxious rowdy teens; that's their space at the library to do so..that guy tried to throw one boy off the balcony and my little brother stepped in to protect his friend he got stabbed! End of story the only thing that matters is that that 37 year old man attacked an unarmed 14 year old little boy!He didn't have the common sense to walk away instead of attacking those kids..and i'm sorry if that was your child who was the one injured you people wouldn't be so compassionate toward that idiot vagrant..

xxcolorado_galxx 3 years, 8 months ago

oh and our parents aren't planning on suing the library...I don't know what idiot thought that up...oh and i put 37 instead of 40 sorry, not that it matters he's still an adult.

sledneck 3 years, 8 months ago

Mtroach, I thought it was a right to keep and arm bears. Imagine my surprise when... Anyone lookin for some well armed bears???

xxcolorado, It most certainly DOES matter if they were "being obnoxious, rowdy teens." And the stab wounds bear that out. It is also ceartainly NOT "their space at the library to do so" if you mean they are entitled to act like asses.

That space is the taxpayers GIFT to teens, not an entitlement. Those punks wizzed all over the comunities generosity... as did the vagarant who did not belong there. Please, please consider some sincere, heartfelt advice... Keep walkin lifes path with the entitled attitude and it's gonna be a short, painfull walk for you

xxcolorado_galxx 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm sorry you think i'm entitled because i feel the libraries teen area is for teens not a sleep spot for someone who can't seem to pay for a place of his own or hold any sort of long term employment. children can be rowdy and a bit of a pain and yes they can be punks but most of the people who write on here on how they deserved what they got seem to forget that they were most likely punk teenagers too, no one by any means are perfect.and i'm not saying that this situation couldn't of been avoided. The point is that instead of walking away from the situation he decided to attempt to throw a young boy off a balcony which could have seriously injured or killed him and stabbed another through his hands..Would you be so up to defending him if it had been your child?? I doubt it.and for you insinuating that the parents were intending to sue anyone is very presumptive, unless your one of those get rich quick schemers. that man has obviously got a few screws loose to do something that violent.

sledneck 3 years, 8 months ago

xxcolorado,

Let me be very clear; I have zero respect for someone who can't pay for a place of his own. And I also believe that he, and most homeless people, "have a few screws lose" On this we agree. Yes, I was once a punk teenager and I deserved the ass-kickins' I got back then. You are also correct that the situation could have ended much worse... with someones death, perhaps. I would not have to worry about this if it was "my child" because my child would not be there at the age of fourteen, he/ she would have been working on a productive endeavor somewhere. I would never let my fourteen year old kid "hang out" at a library when there was (as always) work to be done! That Is my responsibility to society... to keep my kids (and dogs, etc) under control.

I don't feel "you are entitled". In fact I am sure that, considering your age and the lack of monetary contribution you or your brother have made to society you are most certainly NOT entitled. It is YOU who feels that you, or your brother is entitled when you are not.

My point here is that you can not be a "bad-ass" and act like an adult one moment and then hide behind the "we are kids" defense the next, anymore than the homeless vagarant can claim "self defense" when he was in an area he should not have been.

Learn from this that poking at the animal in the cage carries risk and "all the kings horses" won't always be able to save you. It is our wits that make us men. God gave you brains, use 'em.

Your brother, his sidekicks, and the vagrant ALL owe this community an apology.

1999 3 years, 8 months ago

Thank you Sled.

these kids are as guilty as Adam.

shame on them.

then they have the nerve to claim "oh...we're just kids"

Brian Kotowski 3 years, 8 months ago

Are there "teen areas" in the library where official policy stipulates adults are not allowed? It seems to me that exempting adults & the attendant supervision from any part of the library is just asking for trouble. If the library is going to exclude adults from any portion of the building, it has an obligation to provide the appropriate oversight, up to and including ejecting the unruly from the facility. Absent some kind of supervision, I'll wager there are liability issues that may come into play.