Steamboat Springs Police Department officer Evan Driscoll leads Adam Huber from the Bud Werner Memorial Library on Monday afternoon. Huber is accused of stabbing a teen during an altercation inside the library’s teen reading area.

Photo by John F. Russell

Man arrested on suspicion of stabbing teen at Bud Werner Memorial Library

photo

Steamboat Springs Police Department officer Doug Scherar removes a bag of evidence from the Bud Werner Memorial Library on Monday afternoon. Adam Huber is accused stabbing a 14-year-old inside the library’s teen reading area.

— A Steamboat Springs teenager was taken to the hospital with knife wounds to both hands after police said a man stabbed him during an altercation at Bud Werner Memorial Library late Monday afternoon.

Steamboat Springs Police Capt. Joel Rae said officers arrested Adam Huber, 40, and placed him in custody at Routt County Jail. Rae said potential charges would be discussed today with 14th Judicial District Attorney Elizabeth Oldham.

The injured teen was transported by emergency responders to Yampa Valley Medical Center at about 5 p.m. Monday. Both of his hands were bandaged, but he didn’t appear to suffer any wounds elsewhere to his body. Rae said the 14-year-old boy had “stab wounds through and through, one on each hand.”

The teenager was alert and responsive when responders brought him out of the library. Rae said his parents met him at the hospital.

Rae said Huber was on the balcony above the library’s teen reading area, and may have been asleep, before the altercation. Witnesses in the reading area said a group of three teenage boys grew increasingly rowdy on the balcony before Huber grabbed one of the teens by the coat.

Witness Erica Royer, 27, said she was using one of the computers in the library’s teen reading area when she heard and saw a commotion above her.

“It was getting louder and louder,” Royer said. “All of a sudden, the older gentleman was trying to throw one of the younger kids over the railing.”

Another teen then grabbed Huber, Royer said. That teen, the 14-year-old, was stabbed in his hands with what appeared to be a small blade, she said.

Descriptions of the knife varied. Rae said police recovered two knives from Huber, but he declined to comment further.

Wyatt Wilson, 18, was playing chess with friends in the reading area and also witnessed the incident.

“It looked like he had a pretty big knife,” Wilson said, holding his two index fingers several inches apart.

According to witnesses and Rae, Huber then walked downstairs from the balcony into the reading area, where librarians met him. Huber peacefully walked with librarians into an office, where he stayed until police arrived.

Other teens in the reading area said they knew the three on the balcony. The 14-year-old was described as an eighth-grader at Steamboat Springs Middle School. The other two were described as a seventh-grader at the middle school and a student at Steamboat Springs High School. Rae said all three teens were between the ages of 13 and 16.

Rae said he thinks Huber moved to the Steamboat Springs area in fall. Rae said police have had previous contact with Huber for occurrences such as lighting a fire in a public park to cook food at night. Friends of Huber, standing outside the library today, said he’s been in Steamboat Springs for about a year and works odd jobs such as woodworking and roof shoveling.

Some residents who know him and were at the library Monday described Huber as a generally friendly person.

No one else was reported injured in the incident.

Library Director Chris Painter said Huber is a frequent visitor to the library. She said he’s not often in the teen area. She said library staff consistently tries to discourage adults from being in the teen area, which staff monitors throughout the day.

“We generally keep a very close eye on all kids in the teen area,” Painter said. “I think this situation happened very quickly and escalated before we had a chance to intervene.”

To reach Mike Lawrence, call 970-871-4233 or email mlawrence@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

Gaylan Hellyer 3 years, 8 months ago

OMG...... This really sucks. My kids love to go to the Library and they are getting to the age that they can go there from home alone. Is this the end of an era? The kids might have been being disrespectful but come on now, leave it to the people who work there to ask them to leave. You don't just go around trying to toss kids over railings and then pulling knives out. And what was the man doing in the teenage reading area anyway?

Scott Wedel 3 years, 8 months ago

"I wouldn't at all say he should have stabbed somebody," Tebbenkamp added.

Are you sure that is an accurate quote? Sounds bizarre to me unless Tebbernkamp is a bit of a psycho because should makes sense only as a witness's commentary, but this he is claimed to be a friend, not witness.

If it was "would" instead of "should" then it makes sense.

sledneck 3 years, 8 months ago

This town's goin to hell in a handbasket.

I used to only carry a gun when I went to Denver. I thought a friend of mine was a bit over the top for carrying a concealed weapon here. Not any more. Stabbings at the library, shooting pets. Someone stole my laptop and i-pod last month... FROM MY LIVING ROOM. Too much transient behavior. Meth in Craig is through the roof. Idle minds everywhere you look.

I'll never move to another ski-town as long as I live.

Zed 3 years, 8 months ago

Sled,

If you had been at the library and armed when this happened would you have pulled your gun? Fired? Would you have been able to discern between who was victim and aggressor if you came in while they were fighting?

What if Huber had been carrying a gun because he felt the world was "going to hell in a handbasket" how would this have unfolded differently?

Serious questions.

Brian Kotowski 3 years, 8 months ago

Zed

Your hypothetical is difficult to address without engaging the reality, but I'll give it a try.

If I'd been packing, would I have drawn: impossible to say. It would have depended any number of variables: whether or not I'd have been able to talk the guy down; if, in my judgment, I could have intervened without risking injury to myself or others; whether or not bystanders would have joined the effort to get a handle on things; the proximity of any bystanders to the assault. As busy as the library typically is, probably not. But you never know.

As far as telling the good guy from the bad: a guy with a knife going after an unarmed kid - "dicern(ment)" wouldn't have been difficult.

Zed 3 years, 8 months ago

What came to mind was the shooting in Arizona and I recall a number of people the news media had interviewed who were coming out of the grocery store and were carrying weapons when the shooting was taking place. What stood out to me was that they all had no idea what was taking place in front of them and who was the shooter(because it was happening so fast). A bystander had pulled a weapon and then another person thought he was a possible shooter and was ready to pull their weapon. There is a lot of reality as to how slowly someone can respond and process a situation like this, not hypothetical at all. I am sure any law enforcement officer or military can speak to this(but perhaps you or sled have this background).

I guess my point is in response to Sled saying that the world is dangerous therefore everyone should carry a weapon around town - to which I would say guns don't resolve conflict, people resolve conflict.

I respect the right to carry a weapon, but more people with guns will not make society any safer when I go to the library, school, grocery store.

mtroach 3 years, 8 months ago

This is great now three potential shooters. I don't feel safe knowing crackpots like Sled, Sep and screamer are "protecting" this community. Leave the police work to the police and keep your guns in your pants.

1999 3 years, 8 months ago

good god screamer.

perhaps you should not leave your house.

having crackpots like you around DO NOT make the world a safer place.

i'm far more afraid of people like you who easily "fly off of the handle" than someone like Huber.

apparently...your type is far more abundant

Zed 3 years, 8 months ago

^^ Guns are for shooting, not blasting people. And more likely you would not have witnessed it unfold, you would have heard a ruckus and come upon a struggle at which point you would have to hesitate to figure out what is going on before blasting could commence.

Just curious, have you shot someone before? I have not myself, but imagine it would require a fairly high level of composure and judgement to get a straight shot off and not hit the wrong target. If I am fighting someone with a knife, please don't shoot at us.

seeuski 3 years, 8 months ago

Is this $14+ million dollar library now a hangout for the homeless? These kids deserve a lot better from the adults who are supposed to be supervising the library premises, this should never have happened in the first place. "Rae said Huber was on the balcony above the library’s teen reading area, and may have been asleep, before the altercation."

seeuski 3 years, 8 months ago

@1999 Huber stabbed a 14 year old kid at the LIBRARY!!!!! Are you crazy? I would say the dangerous one was the stabber.

neversummer 3 years, 8 months ago

Sled, you're an idiot. You've become so jaded living in this little "ski-town" it's ridiculous. Incidents similar to this happen regularly in other places of the country. That's not to say that what this disturbed man did is excusable but look at a newspaper crime blotter from L.A. or D.C. or Philadelphia some time and tell me that "this town's goin to hell in a handbasket" It's people like you (concealed weapons holders) who commit accidental shootings all the time, i.e family members, innocent bystanders other would be do gooders and the like. Ignorant rednecks like you walking around with firearms is a bad idea. Leave the guns in the hands of the police and military where they belong, let them be the ones to make the call. And if you think it's necessary to "pack" while visiting DENVER you're not just an idiot you're a big wuss too! Beat it kook! p.s. don't want you're stuff stolen? don't bring meth heads in your house!

seeuski 3 years, 8 months ago

@neversummer There have been zero incidents of accidental shootings except a guy who shot himself in the leg at the firing range because he pulled his weapon with his finger on the trigger. If you want to live in a country where only law enforcement, military and criminals have weapons then move, because we are not giving up our protection. I know that the Constitution gives me the right to carry. Besides, with the rate that our new Progressive government is growing and the power that they are seizing, you would have to be nuts to neuter yourself. Obama has sent Hillary Clinton to the UN and had her negotiate international edicts regarding our own gun laws that put the American people at the whim of our enemies and an out of control government that the Founders gave us protections against. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/may/27/the-un-gun-grabber/

Colette Erickson 3 years, 8 months ago

This never would have happened if those kids/punks had left the guy alone. So what if he might be homeless - he still deserved to be respected and left alone by them. Just sayin'.

neversummer 3 years, 8 months ago

http://www.news4jax.com/news/21341869/detail.html http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700233805/-Concealed-weapon-permit-holder-injures-self-in-accidental-shooting.html http://www.wset.com/story/13138406/forest-man-charged-after-accidental-restaurant-shooting?redirected=true http://www.gbooza.com/forum/topics/man-shoots-himself-dead-by#axzz1Ieu4MCkA

Here's just a few for you to chew on screamer. If I feel like prolonging your ridiculous argument I'll supply you with some more.

When I said concealed weapons holders I didn't say CCW licensed did I? However, from my reading all the links I provided do involve a CCW licensee. What I am referring to as a concealed weapons holder is anyone other than police or military who is in possession of a firearm in public, I thought that part was clear, sorry if you didn't understand. And screamer, sep and zed if you guys are "packing" in public without a CCW permit you are no different than a common street thug and if you are caught I hope you are dealt with severely. Leave the police work to the police. p.s i'd like to hear what factors make you think this town is going to hell in a hand basket.

seeuski 3 years, 8 months ago

To all who think our Obama government is so awesome and on the right path with their actions towards gun control, stew on these facts. You won't get this truth from the lame stream media while a lefty POTUS is in power.

"As it turns out, BATF was already aware of efforts by shady characters to undertake mass gun purchases in border states – because law-abiding gun dealers reported the attempted purchases voluntarily. But BATF agents acting on "orders from Washington" encouraged gun dealers to complete these transactions against the dealers' better judgment. Worse yet, the guns – thousands of them – were then allowed to be smuggled, or "walked," into Mexico and into the hands of drug cartels. And worst of all, these guns are now turning up at crime scenes – including the murder of at least one U.S. federal agent." http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=282693

@neversummer You obviously don't know the Colorado statutes on non concealed weapons in public by your statement above. You claimed that CCWP holders are causing shootings all the time but in at least one of the cases you posted the man was drinking while armed which is a crime, and I remember a certain law enforcement officer here in Steamboat who was DUI'd while armed. So who is wrong in relying on the Police for their personal safety or to be squeaky clean? Not me.

sledneck 3 years, 8 months ago

My concealed weapon has killed fewer people than Obama's bombs!

jaded 3 years, 8 months ago

Wow, when I read this my thoughts went in a totally different direction, so this will seem out of place, but I was impressed with the friend's willingness to put himself in harms way to help his buddy. Whatever they were doing to bother this man, if anything, the friend who was stabbed should be commended on his bravery during this situation that should have never happened.

To the library staff, adults must be closely monitored when in the teen area, and NO ONE should ever be allowed to sleep there, ever, anywhere in the Library! This should have been taken care of even before the man fell asleep. His presence in the teen area in disturbing at best, and the results of this situation put way too many people in harms way. Now we have people talking about bring guns into the library because you let a transient sleep.

neversummer 3 years, 8 months ago

@seeuski, The discussion, I thought was about people walking around carrying guns. Never have the Colorado State Statutes on non-concealed weapons been called into play, until now by you. You're right I do not know it and I never said anything about it. It's not relevant. I never claimed that CCWP holders are causing shootings all the time I merely pointed out that in the articles I read those involved happened to be CCWP holders. What I said is people carrying concealed weapons are causing shootings all the time and your comments just help to prove my point that the more guns there are on the streets the more shootings there will be CCWP holders or not. Anyways, this has gotten sooooooooo off topic, I'm out.

sledneck 3 years, 8 months ago

Seeuski, You need to be careful. You stated incorrectly that "the Constitution gives me the right to carry arms". That is incorrect.

I have the right to bear arms, not from the Constitution, but simply because I exist. The Declaration of Independance clarifies that we are "endowed by our creator", not by a constitution, government nor are these rights a gift from any man.

Apart from God, on this Earth I am the only legitimate ruler of the "Kingdom of Sledneck". I know that statement will have the would-be Napoleons twisting but I care not. Thats how it is.

Brian Kotowski 3 years, 8 months ago

neversummer:

Any speculation (by me) re: carrying a gun outside the home or shooting range is predicated on the gun owner being properly credentialed; a predicate so breathtakingly obvious - to me - that it doesn't need to be stated.

In contrast, all your arguments here begin with the assumption that anyone carrying concealed is doing so illegally, and a criminal by definition. The difference in our perspectives is interesting.

I do have a Colorado CCW permit, pursuant to SB03-24; the provisions of which are sufficiently rigorous that it entitles me to concealed carry privileges in 28 other states. You have only my word for that, of course. So if you see me in town (that's me with the Les Paul in my lap), feel free to embrace your assumption and run the other way, or call the police.

1999 3 years, 8 months ago

YAY!!!!

SEE was able to link this isolated incident to OBAMA in just one post!!!

BRAVO!

putabirdonit 3 years, 8 months ago

Speaking as a personal friend of Adam's, I will first say there is NO justification for stabbing a kid, even if it were in self-defense. HOWEVER, I will attest to the quality of this man's character, his gentleness, kindness and love. He was always clean, well dressed and respectful. My family and I have spent quite a bit of time with him, as have other close friends and their families who have supported and helped him during times of need. We talked to Adam personally after the incident and what he personally reported to us was while he was asleep at the library, several kids began poking, kicking and otherwise harassing him. Then one of the kids put him in a headlock and the stabbing was in self-defense. I know, as a homeless man, he has been beaten and attacked on other occasions, and I would imagine this stabbing, while clearly wrong behavior, could have been a knee-jerk reaction by a man who lives his life in a way few of us can imagine: always on guard, always ready to protect and defend himself if need be. Could it be possible, that while awakened out of slumber, he was disoriented and confused and just reacted without thinking?? Before this incident he was known by the librarians and peaceful and quiet and had never caused trouble of any kind. If we in Steamboat with our 'several million dollar' facility cannot provide a place for people like Adam to sojourn on occasion, than I would question whether or not we are using the facility properly.

rhys jones 3 years, 8 months ago

I am not going to weigh in on this one. I can see valid points on both sides of the argument.

I'm just surprised that nobody noticed that the Police are welcome to Handicapped Parking -- but I guess that only makes sense. We knew that. Handicaps come in many forms.

Mr. Huber looks more comfortable in his skin than Mr. Officer does in his. Three hots and a cot; he's had it worse.

putabirdonit 3 years, 8 months ago

@ highwaystar...I was thinking the same thing last night...despite the circumstances, I'm thankful he had a warm place to sleep and food! Yes, he's had it worse!!

peanutbutter 3 years, 8 months ago

What is wrong with society? Kid's bothering a homeless guy? Or a guy sleeping in the library? I have fallen alseep in the library while reading a book or waiting for my kids to finish. Those kids need to be punished for their lack of morals. Homeless or not. If I fall asleep in the library, will an employee ask me to leave? Who was wrong-the man minding his own business or the brats that thought picking on a guy is a great idea?

bandmama 3 years, 8 months ago

Have any of these kids been known to be "problems" before?

jk 3 years, 8 months ago

screamer, would you shoot three teenage hooligans for rolling a homeless guy?

putabirdonit 3 years, 8 months ago

@peanutbutter...you have a great point...where are the morals of these kids who would attack a harmless person (regardless of his societal 'status')?? I do not know if these kids have had problems in the past, but I do now there is an epidemic in our American society of entitled kids and young adults who have been spoon fed and not disciplined correctly as children and therefore have no respect for others whatsoever. There is no one else to blame in these cases but the parents alone. I say this, being a mother of three and seeing how difficult it can be to teach your kids to do what is right when all the world around them teaches is entitlement and degraded morality.

rhys jones 3 years, 8 months ago

I said I wouldn't comment, and I was wrong. I have witnessed dozens of occasions -- hundreds -- where the teen crowd acted like gangs in this town. Snowball attacks, skateboards and bikes on the downtown sidewalks, sending pedestrians scurrying; I almost tangled with a bunch of them myself, once. The bike-and-board crowd, by Allen's.

Mr. Huber is the victim is this affair, is my conclusion. Whatever personal problems caused him to be there, then, I cannot say. I am not his judge. I'm not too far from there myself, at this moment. Walk a mile in my shoes. Or Adam's.

These problems originate in your own homes. Some kids are going to get thumped a few times, before they figure out how life really works.

neversummer 3 years, 8 months ago

sep, please let me respond.

you: "In contrast, all your arguments here begin with the assumption that anyone carrying concealed is doing so illegally, and a criminal by definition. The difference in our perspectives is interesting"

what i wrote: "And screamer, sep and zed if you guys are "packing" in public WITHOUT a CCW permit you are no different than a common street thug and if you are caught I hope you are dealt with severely. Leave the police work to the police."

I never made any assumptions or implications that you or anyone else carrying a concealed weapon was a criminal I only stated the obvious that doing so without a permit is illegal. Get over yourself and go shove your guitar and gun you know where.

rhys jones 3 years, 8 months ago

oh please, put the guns away. You woulda shot the wrong guy.

Brian Kotowski 3 years, 8 months ago

neversummer:

Congratulations - you've joined a number of other children here whose contributions I ignore. Your inability to civilly disagree compels me to file you under "Life's Too Short."

I'll hang with the grownups.

rhys jones 3 years, 8 months ago

Let me clarify: If you're going to pack, it should be full-auto, so you can take out a whole gang in one burst.

OTHERLIBRARIAN 3 years, 8 months ago

In February when I was visiting my daughter we were in the library. Some teens were teasing a homeless looking man (not Adam Huber). We walked away because it seemed so weird. My daughter had noticed that that area was rarely monitored by staff. In my library we park ourselves right near the teen room and keep an eye (and ear) on them because you never know what immature thing teens are going to do next. I am not blaming the victim! Also sleeping and lying down are against policy in our library. The sad fact is that as you create a wonderful place for the community to come to and use you are also creating a place for everybody, even those who use it incorrectly.

greenwash 3 years, 8 months ago

No gun no issue.

The punk kids provoked him....The parents should be embarrassed.

Obviously the guy is a bit mental and surely not as harmless as people thought .

Our Library seems a little noisy to begin with...Games , Teen areas, Meetings , Movies, Cafe...Its more of a combination community center / library.Not the traditional QUIET space most expect.

Brian Kotowski 3 years, 8 months ago

Cogent observations from otherlibrarian & greenwash. I'd like to believe the library administration & staff are reviewing their guidelines regarding policy enforcement and supervision of the facility.

sledneck 3 years, 8 months ago

Wow!!!

When I go chumming for dingbats sometimes I find that I was right on top of them with the first scoop!

Putabirdonit is exactly right that there is an epidemic in this country of people who feel entitled, America is also overpopulated with those who will go to any length to excuse said behavior.

I find I can always get the water churning with either environmental issues, guns, taxes, property rights or schools. You guys have big, easy to find buttons... and I LOVE pushin 'em!

peanutbutter 3 years, 8 months ago

Putabirdonit ---well stated--I completely agree with you.

1999 3 years, 8 months ago

sounds like some punk asssssssssssssss kids.

rhys jones 3 years, 8 months ago

Most of you guys are so cool... you've got to be able to have fun with it, while addressing the underlying realities at the same time. I spanked a 12-year-old brat, at a party once, in this town, who was not my child and I had no charge of. After repeated changes of charges, one mistrial where I defended myself, and a retrial utilizing the great Bill Schurman, then more illegal charge-changes, mid-trial, still a jury of my Routt County peers acquitted me of all charges. Brat deserved it.

More spanking = less punks. And bring the jobs home, so Mr. Huber doesn't have to sleep at the library.

putabirdonit 3 years, 8 months ago

Update on Mr. Huber: 23 people showed up at today's bail hearing in support of our dear friend Adam. A mutual friend who was also an eyewitness to the event stated the event took place as follows: Adam Huber was asleep when awoken by a few teenaged boys who were using horribly foul language and agressive behavior in the presence of some younger girls. At this point Adam then grabbed one of the young boys by the collar to turn him around and insisted he discontinue the behavior. At that point one of the boys place Adam in a choke hold (one hand over another) which prompted Adam to pull a knife and defend himself.

The eyewitness reported all of this to the newspaper reporter present in the courthouse today. It is yet to be seen if it will be reported correctly, if at all.

Tommie Belz 3 years, 8 months ago

Why keep adults out of the "Teen" area? We allow them to believe they are entitled to privacy (in a public building), to do and say as they please. What our teens need is to be monitored, mentored, parented, and put back in place when they act up!

I'm pretty sure there is more to this story that we aren't hearing. I doubt these kids (I've heard them referred to as punks), by other teens for the way they treat their peers, were innocent in all of this. Ask them what type of language they were using in the library for ALL to hear. Ask them what they were saying about the girls profile on facebook, for ALL to hear. I guarantee it would not fall short of sexual harassment.

Seems to me, if Adam were some crazy, out-of-control, pocket knife (the kind you widdled with when you were a kid), wielding crazy man, he wouldn't have gone so peacefully.

Adam will take his punishment. What lesson will kids take from this?

bandmama 3 years, 8 months ago

Wow... not even sure where to begin. First of all, one of the first things that I saw when moving here MANY years ago was a caring community. Where someone who needed a bite or a place to grab a few ZZZ's was welcomed. Then with a Lift Up voucher or whatever they were sent along thier way, OR given a chance with a job and someone who may need a roommate. I saw a community who cared for those less fortunate but also valued the safety of said community. Second, I saw children who were taught that there WERE others who needed a bit of encouragement and were taught to show that, but not just give it away. In the years since, I have seen children who should be SMACKED up side the head for being rude, disrespectful and simply pain in the arses, ignored, and allowed to be those pains. I am in NO way dismissing the serious violent act of Mr.Huber. AT ALL!!! And let me make this clear, OUT OF LINE. I am not dismissing the fact that he had NO business sleeping in a teen section of the library. He had NO business being there. And yes I feel that someone should have asked him to move. (but I have no problem with him catching a few ZZ's elsewhere in the place, in maybe a more mature section) But when confronted, tormented, and POKED into agresstion, what would any of us do? (I personally would not have tried to throw anyone over the balcony or stabbed them but I can see myself fighting back). really? SOMEONE somewhere along the way should have been watching this open to the public place. There are apparently lots of wittnesses who sat aside and did nothing while Mr. Huber was, for lack of a better word...harassed into response.

bandmama 3 years, 8 months ago

to continue... This little place we call "home" is turning into a free for all, "let the kids be kids" place. While I am ALLLL for letting a child grasp growing up, they need guidence. When they step out of line, having a stranger step up and say something means something to most of them. Again I am in NO WAY supporting the violent resonse from Mr.Huber, But I do feel that anyone who sat there in the minutes before hand and did NOTHING, partially to blame. Stand up and make it known that this sort of behavior will not be accepted on either end. I wasn't there, but from speaking to a few that were, this COULD have been prevented with some intervention when those children started harrassing Mr. Huber, and yes at 13, 14, and even 16, they are still children.(but at these ages should have known better than to behave in the manner they did) And if I HAD been there, yes I would have opened my big mouth. (ok, let the verbal assaults start...)

bandmama 3 years, 8 months ago

blue- I really, REALLY hope your comment wasn't directed at my post. YES!!! I am a concerned citizen, I LIVE here. ( I really tried to spellcheck...but it fails me sometomes...lol!) This has NOTHING to to do with color or sexual orientation, it has to do with raising a responsible human being that came forth from my loins..... I dont depend on others to raise my kid, if he F*cks up, YES, I want someone to tell me. And it is up to ME make corrections from there. I am NOT the perfect parent. But if my offspring does something that is not acceptable, it is MOST certainly MY responsibility to make my kid aware that he/she messed up, And make changes and try to correct the problem. NASCAR goes round in circles, I would hope that being a parent is a little differnet. i only think lynchings should be held held for A$$holes, and in plain view of the public. AND, if you think you need to beat your wife, make sure you do it on or near my sidewalk. I will have no problem buttin' in....

MrTaiChi 3 years, 8 months ago

Lots of facts to sort out here; trying to throw someone over a balcony, choking, defensive hand wounds...

It is my opinion that we are biologically wired to fear our young men when they pack-up and behave boisterously. Ask yourself what would be your first reaction to a group of male teenagers in front of your house, acting out. Would your very first thought be, "Gee, they sure look like they're enjoying each other's company", or would it be, "This is a potential threat. I have to keep an eye on it"?

Adolescent male apes and elephants pack-up and misbehave. With humans, adolescents do things in groups that they wouldn't do alone, a life lesson that seems pretty commonly accepted. Demonstrations of bravado escalate as oneupmanship becomes a factor. Kids know that a teacher or any other adult who intervenes and uses physical force on them is in more trouble than they are. I sometimes wonder if the only deterrent to them running completely wild is that once in a while an adult goes nuts and reacts violently, like the doctor in NYC many years ago who took out a poistol and killed a kid in a gang jumping up and down on his Mercedes. For a while there, I'm pretty sure that there wasn't much Mercedes dancing in that neighborhood, and I'm willing to bet that for a while now there won't be much poking and tormenting sleeping homeless men in Steamboat.

Kristopher Hammond 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm with screamer and sled...Huber probably deserved to be blasted on the spot. For lack of a gun and shooter, he'll get to stay in jail, have a lawyer investigate the facts, present a defense, be entitled to due process, be presumed innocent, get a jury trial, and all that other liberal nonsense. And the government has a gun to my head forcing me pay for all this! Bullets are so much cheaper and faster.

ftpheide 3 years, 8 months ago

Rhys, You've got to stop spanking 12 year olds at parties. Stop telling people what you've done as well. Bill Schurman is retired and won't be there to help you anymore!

sledneck 3 years, 8 months ago

I did not say the man deserved to be blasted. I started the whole gun thing by saying that I'm re-considering when and where I carry a weapon because I think this town, and perhaps society at large, is rapidly goin in the crapper.

If the man had attacked me he would have gotten "blasted" but that probably would not have happened since I don't make it a habit of provoking people... except for on this blog.

I'm drawing several conclusions from this: 1. Homeless people are a problem... sooner or later in one way or another trouble's gonna find them. 2. Dittos for idle minds in the craniums of teenagers. 3. A lot of you folks are more afraid of an honest/ peaceful person who may carry a gun than you are of either of the above which makes me wonder about YOUR mental state as well. 4. For the cost of that library we could have gotten every person in Routt County a Kindle and everyone could stay home and mind his own business.

kathy foos 3 years, 8 months ago

Most communitys have some sort of homeless shelter, maybe there there is a denial of homeless people in this county.Just hope they move on.Many who work still cannot gain place to live, if they want to eat(stark choices) the wages can be very low.Under that kind of a budget how can one save for a deposit and utilitys,when starting out?If the city would use the Iron horse Inn for a Homeless Helping Center, it would make everything work better to those employed and needing to save for deposits etc.. It dosent set right with me blaming these kids for bringing on the the trouble,when we have not heard all of the facts.It should never be a place to sleep in the library.There is a big difference between dozing off while monitoring your child and sleeping in the teen section.Why even have sections if people dont respect the plan?Could he sleep in the childrens section too?Thats what these teens are , children by law untill they are 18.The library should take special care because they are trusted with the care of children. A mature adult would go to the librarian ....he did what he did,There is no excuse what so ever for flipping out a knife and causing a defense wound on that child.Im so thankful that no one was hurt worse or thrown over the railing?!Thats too much,,,,,he was attempting to throw him over a railing?That was a child that was stabbed and another child almost thrown over the rail,please.dont vent on every teen issue you can think of over this issue.Victims are innocent untill proven guilty,please. Im sorry to the boys involved . To the stabber,there is no excuse for what you did.

Kristopher Hammond 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm with sled...for 0.01 the cost of that library we could have issued a gun to everyone in Routt County. If we had only done that, the outcome would have been waaaay different.

mtntrekker 3 years, 8 months ago

I have seen kids in the teen section get rowdy and obnoxious and loud. There was almost a fight between kids there just a couple of weeks ago while I was there. Yelling threats between them went on for a couple of minutes before a librarian finally came back there to break it up. Kids are rowdy in there all the time. More monitoring of the area would help. Sure Mr. Huber overreacted. Self defense? (thin, I know) Keep adults out of the teen section? Then keep teens out of the adult section. Where would it end?

skidattle 3 years, 8 months ago

What should we do abouut all these "problem" homeless peolple? Tell them to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and get a job? What if they don't have any boots?