John and Tanya Taing, of Oak Creek, stand next to their white picket fence that will get a new coat of paint with the help of Routt County Habitat for Humanity. The small home repair project, called A Brush With Kindness, is looking for more volunteers for this weekend.

Photo by Joel Reichenberger

Routt County Habitat for Humanity focuses on urgent home repair needs

Get involved

No construction background is necessary to volunteer for this weekend’s A Brush With Kindness home repair project. To sign up for a three-hour shift, click here.

— A 75-year-old woman might not have to go through the winter with the roof of her trailer leaking.

A family of six in Yampa won’t have to wait to repaint its two-story home.

And a woman with a disability finally will get a wheelchair ramp in her Fish Creek Trailer Park home, all because a group of people in Routt County won’t let these households go without.

On Friday, Routt County Habitat for Humanity is launching A Brush With Kindness, a five-day volunteer effort to help community members with exterior home repairs they cannot afford or perform themselves.

“If we’re a caring community, which I believe we are, this is exactly what we should be doing to show it,” Habitat Executive Director Jody Patten said.

The program still is looking for volunteers for Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, when it will attempt to improve five households.

“It’s just as important to keep up housing that is affordable and not just build new ones,” Patten said.

Volunteers can sign up online here for one of several three-hour shifts. Participants will get a T-shirt and on-the-job instruction. No construction experience is required.

A big help

Oak Creek homeowner Tan­ya Taing has been a stay-at-home mom for her two children for the past five years. She’s been unable to paint her picket fence or afford needed repairs to her back porch.

She said she’s grateful for the shared community effort to help with small projects that will include her home.

“It’s great,” Taing said. “It’s definitely needed, especially in the economy we’ve been living in. Being a stay-at-home mom for five or six years while the kids were growing up, this is really a big help.”

Although the Taings will be out of town when volunteers are working on their home this weekend, Tanya said she plans to help out with a Brush With Kindness project at another family’s home in Yampa.

“When we’re available, we’ll definitely be helping out because we think it’s such an awesome program to reach out to South Routt,” she said. “It’s for things to look nice, but also it’s what we’re supposed to do. Being a good neighbor and reaching out in the community is what we’re about.”

Maintaining a presence

Although not currently buil­ding a home for a local family, Routt County Habitat for Humanity is looking for ways to maintain a presence in the community and continue to have a positive influence on affordable housing in Routt County.

Patten said A Brush With Kindness also would help garner expanded volunteer participation for future builds.

“This was a way to engage more volunteers, for people to learn about what Habitat does and just to really have a good impact out there,” she said. “This is a whole new thing for us. It’s a shift for us. It doesn’t mean we’re never going to build a house.”

She said Habitat recently acquired a lot in Oak Creek and plans to start construction on a house when the economy begins to turn around. The process of finding a family to inhabit the next house also has begun, Patten said.

“That’s happening, but at the same time we have this second track,” she said. “We really are trying to deal with urgent current needs of low-income housing, and believe me, there is a lot of need in this community.”

As the long, cold winter approaches, Patten said there are countless homes with broken windowpanes, leaking roofs and other basic problems that for whatever reason, the residents can’t find a way to fix.

Patten said she expects more small-scale projects before winter to help low-income residents or people with disabilities prepare for winter.

Habitat alleviates some financial restrictions by providing all-volunteer labor and flexible payment plans for materials costs. Many of the people benefiting often are heavily involved with their own project, as well as helping with neighboring projects.

“This is a shared effort,” Patten said. “It’s a hand up; it’s not a hand out. I see them going from a place of hopelessness to a place of being thrilled that people care about them. Hopelessness to feeling loved: that’s a dramatic effect in someone’s life.”

— To reach Nicole Inglis, call 871-4204 or e-mail ninglis@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

mavis 3 years, 10 months ago

Prime example of what is wrong with society..... I am in complete support of helping an elderly lady with a leaky roof, or building a wheelchair ramp.
The line is crossed with painting a fence for a family because the mom is a stay @ home mom... especially if they are going to not even participate. If I stop working and stay home with my kids will someone come take care of my house??? NOPE I would never ask that is a choice you make and WHY should the rest of us be supporting that?
It completely becomes a hand out if they are not even going to participate in their own free upgrade or improvement due to being "out of town"

addlip2U 3 years, 10 months ago

.....“When we’re available, we’ll definitely be helping out because we think it’s such an awesome program to reach out to South Routt,” she (Tanya Tang?) said. "

Clearly some people know how to use and abuse the generosity of others. When??? she is able... She is NOT able to even take care of her own place...let along help others.

Habitat's principal is " Many of the people benefiting often are heavily involved with their own project, as well as helping with neighboring projects..." !

mavis, I agree ....This (Habitat) support is going a bit too far... and someone is allowed to abuse the kindness and generosity of others...? NOT VOLUNTEERING for this one :(

Anita Paquette 3 years, 10 months ago

For those of you who seem the need to make a comment about people you don't know, get a life.
I know this family well and know that they don't have the extra money you seem to have. She worked jobs before but all the money she made paid the baby sitter with nothing left over to help with the bills. So she chose to stay home and help others the best way she can. They both volunteer alot when they can. If they had the money to buy paint that they would have it painted by now.
Did you think that the schedule that habitat volunteers are coming on a day that conflicts that with what ever they had previously scheduled. Did you think before you started making comments about people that you don't know, that being out of town, could possibly be to see a specialist or any other numerous things that are going on in thier lives.
They believe that what ever they receive they recipicate twice fold some way some how, also what comes around goes around.
If you infer that they are abusing a worth while program, you need to go live in their shoes of a couple of days, that would probably be just too much for you to handle. You need to be careful on what comments you see the need to make about someone you don't know with probably "bite" you. ADP (anonymus)

Anita Paquette 3 years, 10 months ago

addkuo2u I hope that when you need help and you will at some pooint in your life, the comment NOT VOLUNTEERING for this one is the first thing you hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anita Paquette 3 years, 10 months ago

addkuo2u I hope that when you need help and you will at some point in your life, the comment NOT VOLUNTEERING for this one is the first thing you hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mavis 3 years, 10 months ago

ohhh anita... you are barking up the WRONG TREE Did you miss that I have 2 children in Daycare and my husband and I BOTH work full time PLUS..... Our Daycare Bill SURPASSES my income... and we both have great jobs.. yet we are in the only barely on the self- sufficient portion on the United Way spread sheet of people that need assistance.. We work hard and deserve every penny we earn which means we sacrafice. ( I don't stay with the kids) but some day our kids will know to work hard for what they have and the Government is not going to come do it for them while they are "somewhere else" and for "free" I am generous and help out people in need... but they must make an effort to start with!

Like I said earlier.... help the elderly lady with the leaky roof, help the person in the wheelchari gain access.... I bet they both will be there to support the volunteers ... even if it is just with a smile and a thank you....

ftpheide 3 years, 10 months ago

Anitapaquette, It sounds like mavis and addlip2u have volunteered in the past and they do have a life. This isn't a urgent home repair or a safety issue.. The article says Habitat has a flexible payment plan for the cost of materials. You said your friends would have painted it themselves if they had the paint. Even if there are no volunteers for this project your friends can paint the fence when they get home. No reason to be upset. Now take that curse off addlip2u.

greenwash 3 years, 10 months ago

Please Please Hurry Hurry call Habitat for Humanity....I really need my fence painted.

is this a joke?

bandmama 3 years, 10 months ago

Ummmmmmmm... I have a leaky kitchen sink. Painting a house? Really? There are other disabled, elderly, poeple who really need repairs a H*ll of a lot more than cosmetic make over. Did the article fail to mention that maybe this was weather proofing or some other needed repair? yeah, just saying.......

John Fielding 3 years, 10 months ago

I has a fence I's painting but I has t' be mighty particular 'bout how its done, not sure I'd allow jest eneyone t' help. Meybe if'n you gimme yer broke kite er a frog ...

tt 3 years, 10 months ago

We are very thankful to those who are painting and we will continue to reach out in our community. For those of you that made negative comments its OK... sounds like its done a lot on here...so I won't take it personal. We wouldn't have missed our daughter's field trip and family time since it was already scheduled and habitat of humanity said that we can help with other projects in the community. I am grateful that I have been able to raise my kids and be the one to impact their young lives..wouldn't have traded that for all the money in the world. We haven't the nicest place but its ours and we live in a community that reaches out and helps those around us. I would like to think that we are making a difference by being kind. Thanks again to this project and all that are taking part in it...may you be blessed because of it!

tt 3 years, 10 months ago

ftpheide...We are more than willing to finish painting when we get back.

sledneck 3 years, 10 months ago

"Todays Tom Sawyer, he gets high on YOU..."

Good 'un JF

mavis 3 years, 10 months ago

tt--- so glad for you that you got to spend the time with your family. Point you are missing: --- I live in a home less then 600 SQ feet built in the 50's with my 2 toddlers and husband so there are a lot of us that don't live in our desired places... we are trying to buy a HOME on our own... but we have to make darn sure we can pay for everything your fence getting painted is not "urgent" as the paper states.... maybe the pilot did the article wrong I do not know.... I even went to HS with you.... however your fence needing painted is NOT urgent... furthermore maybe they should have just bought you the paint and you could have done it yourself.. that would have sat better with me.. I have a beef with habitat's priorities.... sorry you had a need we ALL do but paint on the fence is NOT urgent.... heck I just want 100 more square feet... they could buy me the materials and I will do it myself.... it is the definition of urgent.... and your rationalization that your family time is more important then volunteers family time... sorry but they were away from their kids to paint YOUR fence... it would have been better for habitat's future to NOT have this in the paper... but I hope the elderly keep recieving help before winter so we need to keep it up on that part.

bandmama 3 years, 10 months ago

jf-Sam C would be proud of you...... Mavis-i would say been there done that, but ahhhhhh am there, DOING it. And no one painted my fence. And I wouldn't ask them to.

tt 3 years, 10 months ago

mavis...I didn't ask them to paint my fence..they were passing out fliers and dropped one by. The volunteers were high schoolers and an adult for supervision..again....and as far as the article it was to get the word out what HFH is doing and they are in the area reaching out...didn't ask for all the negativity..but I guess that's what we get for being available for a picture!

John Fielding 3 years, 10 months ago

tt, don't let it bother you, just count your blessings, they are many.

Pretty much everybody is worthy of community support, some are fortunate enough to actually receive it.

You will find an opportunity to pass it on.

Anita Paquette 3 years, 10 months ago

Last comment to all the negativity. The point has been missed about the whole story, whether it be Tanya & John or any one they help. The porch on the house is most danerous to be on or around and that what is the main focus on the assistance given, just because the photo shows them standing beside the fence that was also going to get painted, does not have to be the focus. It is the Habitat for Humanity that is the ones doing the "good deeds' that should be recognised. I am sorry that Mavis is soooo jealous of someone getting some help, no matter whom it is. Maybe it is a left over from something else. I quess I missed about your children and you surmountable child care bills. Mavis & ftpheide - I probably (not sure yet, I know that you will let me know) doing more volunteering than both of you. As Always Anita

mavis 3 years, 10 months ago

Anita--- Please go back and re-read my comment- I am VERY greatful for people in need of assistance getting it! I know pleanty of elderly and single parents that could use a great deal of support.

1999 3 years, 10 months ago

perhaps people should opt NOT to have children until a time comes when they can afford them.

I get mighty sick of people expecting a handout simply because they CHOSE to have children.

I am not saying this is the case with the Taings...but it always strikes me as funny when people complain about working two jobs full time while their kids are in daycare. or they can't afford to paint a fence because they have kids.

having children is not mandatory. perhaps get your ducks in a row BEFORE having children?

so why did you have kids?

1999 3 years, 10 months ago

and TT...you sound like a lovely person who will most likely pass on the kindness you have been shown.

mavis 3 years, 10 months ago

Children are amazing.... they are inspirational to enjoy every day and cherish the memories because they grow so fast... children are laughter and tears that forever remind you of how precious life is...... they are the most rewarding and challenging aspects of life... they are also paybacks when they are so full of spirit!!
Ask most moms out there.. and there is nothing better then children..... life is too short.... I just believe in prioritizing based on necessity... kindness is not displayed in one weekend of help it is the continous decisions you make every day and what your job is and how you help people through your every day life!! and that is why I have kids and wouldn't trade any part of it for anything!

1999 3 years, 10 months ago

if daycare surpasses your income why do you work?

if your children are the most rewarding aspect to your life...why do you work outside of your home? especially if it is not financially prudent?

tt 3 years, 10 months ago

Thank you 1999...me and my kids did some painting today and it felt great..will paint more tomorrow!! And we will continue giving back to the community...I am not here to judge or be judged just am very glad that there is still some kindness in the mean world we live in!

mavis 3 years, 10 months ago

99--- 1. I have been fortunate with the down economy daycare spots @ private providers have opened up and I have now lowered my daycare bill by half. We no longer pay $2400 a month!! It has been fantastic!

1. Also... did you know being pregnant is a pre-existing condition... so I kept working to keep my insurance. we pay for my husband and kids on an individual plan to save money and have better care.

2. I LOVE my job and the impact I have on the future with my job. My job is very rewarding, fun and important to me. It also is a great job for a mom.

3. My husband has a fantastic job and so far we are fortunate that it is stable, however given the current economic state my job is by far more secure.

bandmama 3 years, 10 months ago

It isn't a mean world, just a tough one. 99- To a point I agree with you. I have siblings who have had 5 plus kids. And with at least 6 in college they are still asking for family...Dollar support. I have one, super wonderful kid. Who is one of those college age young-uns. My spouse just lost a job of 25 plus years. I honestly dont know what we would do with more than one. I cant tell tell you how many hours we have worked out butts off. With daycare, split shifts and completely different schedules. But we are still one hell of a family "unit". My kid appreciates his home and values the special times he had with both mom and dad, and the occational time with family and babysitters/daycare. As an almost adult he has seen first hand how tough it can be. And I am very proud to hear him say that he knows how tough it is to have a "family". Staying at home is great, but if you make that choice then dont expect others to provide for you. When there are others in the community who really need assistance. Paint for a house doesn't compare to ramps, roofs and other needed repairs. AND, I haven't seen an update, what were the needed repairs to the back porch? I assume safety issues and I hope that took priority over the painting.

Matt Helm 3 years, 10 months ago

I am happy to see that Habitat for Humanity is helping out local families, but I do not appreciate all the negative comments towards a family most of you do not know. John Taing is the nicest hardest working person I've ever met, and would probably help anyone he could. They are lucky enough to receive a little assistance, and don't deserve to be judged or ridiculed by jealous pricks with nothing better to do!!!