2010 Tigers volleyball schedule
- Sept. 4 at Meeker tournament, TBA
- Sept. 7 Hayden 3, Rifle 0
- Sept. 9 Hayden 0, Baggs, Wyo. 3
- Sept. 11 Hayden 3, Plateau Valley 0
- Sept. 14 Hayden 0, Moffat County 3
- Sept. 17 Hayden 3, North Park 1
- Sept 18 3-1 win against Meeker; 3-0 loss to Vail Christian
- Sept. 21 at Baggs, Wyo., 5 p.m.
- Sept. 24 4-0 win against West Grand
- Sept. 25 at Vail Mountain, TBA
- Oct. 1 Hayden 3, Paonia 2
- Oct. 2 Hayden 1, Vail Mountain 3
- Oct. 8 Hayden 0, Rangely 3
- Oct. 12 Hayden 3, Soroco 0
- Oct. 16 Hayden 2, West Grand 3
- Oct. 22 Hayden 3, Meeker 0
- Oct. 23 Hayden 1, Soroco 3
- Oct. 26 Hayden 3, Vail Mountain School 2
Hayden The Hayden girls volleyball team again came out on fire. It again let its intensity dip the middle of a match, and it again walked away victorious.
The Tigers bounced back from a second-game defeat to beat West Grand on Friday night, 25-17, 25-22, 25-14, 25-20.
“We were great in that first game, then we let them back in it. That will bite us against good teams,” coach Greg Johnson said.
He didn’t come away disappointed, however. His team improved to 5-4 with the win.
“We played really well tonight,” he said.
The Tigers cruised with comfortable advantages in the first and third games, but they spent most of the second playing catch-up. An ace from senior Morgan Bell tied the game at 16, however, and Hayden even had a lead soon after, 18-17.
The team couldn’t hang with a Mustang surge, however, and fell behind by as many three as the game slipped away.
The big hits and decisive blocks that defined the two previous wins were back in the fourth game. An ace from junior Jacie Temple gave Hayden a 19-17 lead, and that sparked one final run. Hayden scored six of the final nine points and won the game and the match when junior Aubree Haskins hammered home a kill.
Haskins led the way with six kills and seven blocks.
Johnson also singled out junior Brette Frentress for her defense on the night.
“We were hitting really well and getting the ball to our setters,” Haskins said. “Still, there were some things we need to work on. We need to keep working on our defense and our blocks.”
The Tigers turn around to play at Vail Mountain today.