2010 Sailors volleyball schedule
- Sept. 2 Steamboat 2, Middle Park 3
- Sept. 7 Steamboat 3, Vail Mountain 1
- Sept. 9 and 10 4th at Bishop Machebeuf Tournament
- Sept. 17 Steamboat 0, Delta 4
- Sept. 18 Steamboat 0, Palisade 4
- Sept. 23 Steamboat 2, Glenwood Springs 3
- Sept. 30 Steamboat 3, Moffat County 2
- Oct. 2 Steamboat 3, Battle Mountain 1; Steamboat 2, Eagle Valley 3
- Oct. 5 Steamboat 1, Palisade 3
- Oct. 8 Steamboat 3, Delta 2
- Oct. 14 3-1 win against Glenwood Springs>
- Oct. 21 Steamboat 3, Moffat County 0
- Oct. 23 Steamboat 1, Battle Mountain 3; Steamboat 0 Eagle Valley 3
Steamboat Springs The Steamboat Springs High School volleyball team finished fourth Saturday at the Bishop Machebeuf tournament in Denver.
Steamboat finished the day, 3-2, just missing the championship game.
Steamboat tied for first in its pool but lost in a head-to-head tiebreaker to Goodland, Kan. Steamboat opened with Goodland in its first match of the day, falling, 26-14 and 25-20. In early season tournaments, matches are the best of three instead of five.
The team regrouped and managed straight set wins against Buena Vista, Bishop Machebeuf and D’Evelyn to make the third-place game.
“We kind of got a little more focused,” Steamboat coach Wendy Hall said. “I didn’t feel like we were playing with a lot of heart in the morning. We just kind of gave in a little too easy.
“But they had a little time off between matches. They turned the way they were playing around. The intensity was better. The fight was better.”
In the third- and fourth-place game, Steamboat lost, 25-20 and 25-21, to Weld Central. Steamboat took the early lead but started to show some signs of fatigue.
“We ran out of gas,” Hall said. “We got a lead and then made a lot of critical errors to let them back in. The other part is they were really tough. We didn’t make enough plays to seal the deal.”
Steamboat next plays at 6 p.m. Saturday when the team opens up Western Slope League play at Delta.
“Next week, the wins and losses are very critical,” Hall said. “But we feel good going into the league.”