The Steamboat Springs Pizza Hut closed its doors Tuesday night. The business has been in Sundance Plaza since 1983.

Photo by Matt Stensland

Pizza Hut closes its doors in Steamboat

Restaurant shuts doors Tuesday, was at Sundance Plaza for more than 25 years

— Options for pizza in Steam­boat Springs just decreased by one.

Pizza Hut, located off U.S. Highway 40 in Sundance Plaza, closed its doors at 9 p.m. Tuesday, ending more than 25 years of business at the location.

Sundance at Fish Creek Man­ager and Owner Representative Bob Larson confirmed the closing Tuesday morning.

Larson said Pizza Hut’s lease is up at the end of October. He said the rent for the space didn’t increase; rather, it was a corporate decision to leave.

“There was no conflict or problem between us,” Larson said. “It was just a business decision by the corporate office.”

The Pizza Hut in Steamboat has been at the Sundance location since 1983. It had 12 full-time employees, most of whom had worked at the store for more than three years.

“We just want to thank Steamboat for all they’ve done for us,” said manager John Hamilton, whose 16th year at Pizza Hut would have been next week. “There were some great customers, and we hate leaving. That’s the one thing I’ll miss. I’ll miss my customers.”

The Pizza Hut is owned by NPC International Inc. According to its website, NPC operates 1,142 stores in 28 states. The company is the largest Pizza Hut franchisee in the world and operates 55 restaurants in Colorado.

Multiple calls to the NPC International offices in Overland Park, Kan., were not returned Tuesday.

A release of second fiscal quarter numbers at the end of June showed the company sales increased 10.4 percent, compared with a 12.6 decrease last year.

The company’s debt also was reduced by $31.33 million.

Larson’s father, Jim, bought the shopping center in 2002. In 2003, Pizza Hut downsized as the shopping center was renovated.

Bob Larson said Tuesday that he was talking to other people and businesses about occupying the space, but he couldn’t give exact details about what might go into the building. He said he also didn’t have a timetable for when a new business might be in.

“They were a great tenant for many years,” Larson said. “We are looking forward to having a very marketable, highly visible space. We’ll see how it works out.”

— To reach Luke Graham, call 871-4229 or e-mail lgraham@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

sodacreekpizza 3 years, 10 months ago

Ahhh changes. We could use a driver and possibly a cook for the winter. If any of the Pizza Hut staff are looking for work, come see us!

chickadee 3 years, 10 months ago

^^^ That is such a nice post! Soda Creek Pizza is so delicious. And its local! And made by some really nice people! Try the cheesey breadsticks. Carbs yes, but so delish!!!

Will be interesting to see who is the next tenant in the Pizza Hut space.

What type of business would you posters like to see there? What type of business do you predict would be successful? fill a niche? fill a spot on your wish list? Just curious...

Did Pizza Hut have a lot of regular local patronage? It appeared to be very popular with the 3 crown crowds.

OnTheBusGus 3 years, 10 months ago

I never ate at Pizza Hut I prefer to get my pizza from Soda Creek or Brooklynns. I feel that I can get Pizza Hut anywhere when I'm on the road but I do miss my local pizza place when I'm away.

chickadee 3 years, 10 months ago

I am having a hard time thinking of a type of business to fill that space. All of my needs are fully satisfied by what already exists in town and by what I buy on line.

So far the only ideas that I have of unfulfilled niches are:

1. Dog Park

2. Out-patient Drug and Alcohol Rehab facility

3. Vampire lounge

Am I missing something?

mtroach 3 years, 10 months ago

Three Guy's or Smash Burger would give Big House a run.

chickadee 3 years, 10 months ago

In and Out Burger with a side of Ted Drewe's frozen custard.

chickadee 3 years, 10 months ago

I take that back--Big House has frozen custard and good burgers. Niche satisfied.

JusWondering 3 years, 10 months ago

I personally think it is kind of sad. Pizza Hut is probably more local than most of you posting here. How many of you can say you've been in the Boat for 27 years?

Soda Creek's come and go... I have seen hundreds of 'em over the years.

I will be intrested to see who the next tenant is... hopefully none of the above. I don't wan an In-N-Out in my home town.

bandmama 3 years, 10 months ago

Exactly what would one serve in a vampire lounge? HA! ARBY'S!!!! Curley fries!!!!!!!!!!

chickadee 3 years, 10 months ago

@bandmama

What one does not serve at a Vampire Lounge is Werewolves.

No shirt. No shoes. No service.

Jeff_Kibler 3 years, 10 months ago

Korean, Thai and/or Japanese (there's so much more than sushi). One thing I miss about Seattle is the International District. And there's a great, inexpensive Thai place on Broadway on Capitol Hill. I don't miss the weather.

Same goes with Denver south of Alameda and Federal. Some awesome Vietnamese restaurants.

BTW, the Pilot deleted and disabled all comments vis-à-vis "Steamboat businessman Brooks Kellogg placed in custody."

sodacreekpizza 3 years, 10 months ago

Sure hope we don't "come and go" LOL. We have been in the same location under the same ownership longer than any other pizza store in town today (11+ years). We own our location, kids in school... etc etc.

Went to PH yesterday to speak to John to pass the word to any employees of theirs that are looking for work.

hereandthere 3 years, 10 months ago

still hoping that the Pilot will delete/disable the ridiculus ad at the top. Brent, I know you read this, an explanation would be appropriate.

hereandthere 3 years, 10 months ago

How about a "booking" photo for Mr. Kellog, Brent. Wouldn't want to be percieved as having a socio-economic bias would you? It is interesting that you took down the blog for this article. Precedent has already been established by your paper to post booking photos and leave up blogs for other locals that have run afoul of the law. Why the double standard? Please respond Brent.

bandmama 3 years, 10 months ago

chickadee- May I presume that a collar may be worn in place of a shirt, as long as the moon is not full?

exduffer 3 years, 10 months ago

How about another Starbuck's. We really need another Starbucks. Really, Really, Really!. Sorry tooo muchhh cofffeee on a rainy day. Just doin laps through the drive thru.

Tubes 3 years, 10 months ago

The last time I ordered a Soda Creek pizza it was well north of $30 for a large and some sodas. Yeah, I said A large, not 3 larges. I can get elk tenderloin at Cafe Diva for that price. Needless to say, I cancelled the order. Glad Dominoes is still running strong, love that $5.99 two topping meduim deal. RIP Pizza Hut.

chickadee 3 years, 10 months ago

^^^ meet the genius with no taste buds who is blogging on a site that posts a 20% discount code the he does not use for Soda Creek Pizza.

Even without the discount, Soda Creek Pizza is well worth the deli$h dough IMHO. darn good stuff.

Unlike those lukewarm circles of garbage that the franchises call pizza.

And they are hiring, not firing.

Brian Kotowski 3 years, 10 months ago

I had a girlfriend who spent a year in Japan, teaching English as a 2nd language. A few months into her stay, she found herself tiring of the local cuisine. While out cycling on her day off, she saw an American pizza joint - Dominoes or Pizza Hut or something. She made a beeline for it, sat down, and ordered a beer. Unable to read the menu, she ordered the #5. There she sat, sipping her beer, anticipating her pie. It arrived.

Covered in tentacles.