Routt sheriff remains in Denver hospital

Wall says blood leaking in the brain to blame

photo

Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall

— Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall revealed Friday that he actually was taken to a Denver-area hospital after doctors discovered blood leaking in his brain, and not just because of the flu, as he had earlier reported. He remained in the hospital Friday, and his wife, Jenny Wall, said she didn’t know when he would return to Steamboat Springs.

Wall was airlifted Wednesday night. On Thursday, he said it was because of complications from flu and he likely would return to the county Friday, but on Friday, he said doctors still were looking him over.

He said he has had no surgery and has no brain problems from the blood leakage. He was alert when talking on the phone and said he is not suffering dizziness or other symptoms.

“I had a very serious headache,” he said. “And there’s nothing neurological wrong, nothing.”

He said he couldn’t give a straight answer about what kind of problem it is.

“I did not have an aneurysm,” Wall said Friday evening. “I don’t know what it was, but the doctor I just talked to said I did not have an aneurysm.”

He said it was complicated by the flu, and doctors from Yampa Valley Medical Center wanted him to travel to Denver in case he needed more serious medical care.

“They did not do surgery, but they wanted me in Denver in case they had to,” he said. “I mean, the headache was just awful.”

Wall, a Democrat, is in the middle of a campaign for re-election against Republican challenger and All Crimes Enforcement Team Cmdr. Garrett Wiggins. Wall was scheduled to appear at a forum hosted by the Steam­boat Pilot & Today, Steamboat Springs Board of Realtors, Routt County Democratic Party and Routt County Republican Party on Thursday night. He had said Thursday morning that he hoped to return in time for the forum.

Wall refused to disclose what hospital he is in.

Comments

gettinold 4 years, 1 month ago

At least he has finally admitted he cant give a straight answer.

seeuski 4 years, 1 month ago

I wish Gary Wall a speedy recovery and his upcoming retirement may be just what the Doctor ordered. I really do hope Wall gets well soon.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 1 month ago

I also wish Gary Wall a speedy recovery.

But he is now done as our Sheriff. I'm sorry, but a candidate for elected office has to be able to say why he was airlifted to Denver.

ftpheide 4 years, 1 month ago

Scott, I really hope your correct on your comment.

aichempty 4 years, 1 month ago

Well, I don't know where you guys went to medical school, but it is common for flu medication (aspirin and ibuprofen) to cause internal bleeding. That's why you're not supposed to take it before surgery. That's why taking an aspirin while you're having a heart attack is helpful -- it causes blood to resist clotting.

My wife was prescribed ibuprofen for pain following surgery, and ended up with a bleeding ulcer as a result.

Do you really expect someone who is bleeding in his head to be able to make an accurate statement to anybody? Geez . . .

I've had my name in the paper twice in my lifetime following a so-called "newsworthy" event. In both cases, the information was partly true (the only things they got wrong were my age, my rank, the location of the event, and my condition). The part they got right was that I had been admitted to the hospital following an accident.

This is another red herring.

ftpheide 4 years, 1 month ago

aich. He was flown to Denver because of blood leaking from his brain! He failed to tell us that!

trump_suit 4 years, 1 month ago

It is just possible that the Pilot didn't investigate as deeply as they should have. How many people would give an accurate accounting when being airlifted to Denver? Lets be real here, that doesn't happen for a routine injury or medical problem.

Whatever Sheriff Wall's personal failings may be,I find it hard to criticize him for failing to get out accurate information on the day of this event. I also point out that the record was accurately corrected only 24 hours later.

It strikes me that these partisan personal attacks are a BIG part of the problem on both sides of the politcal debate today. How can compromise be reached when the responses from either side are always bitter and divisive?

housepoor 4 years, 1 month ago

Medical conditions are sensitive information and nobody's business but their own. It may very well be that they did not exactly know the condition before he was airlifted out. Everyone, doctors included may have very well thought his symptoms was just a complication of the flu at first.

Doug Matthews 4 years, 1 month ago

A person has a right to privacy in regards to medical conditions. The paper said that he was airlifted for complications of influenza. Sheriff Wall was able to set the record straight from his hospital room in Denver the next day. I know I wouldn't have bothered if I were in his situation, would you? Now he is castigated as if he is trying to manipulate some big cover-up. Get a life people. Sheriff Wall has been a respected member of law enforcement for at least 45 years that I know of; respected by intelligent professionals, anyway. Those opposed to his upsetting the "us versus them" mentality of what law enforcement has become, where we have some hidden chill of fear when we see a police car, will stop at nothing to restoring the status quo of the past. His opponent in this election tried several times and was unable to pass the Colorado State standard Sergeant's exam to qualify for promotion beyond patrol deputy. Look into qualifiations instead of sensationalistic comments and ideas like "He's just lying to us again!" When did he lie to you in the first place? This election is so tainted by hate from the Wiggins supporters that we can't even feel compassion for one of our elected officials who needs support and prayers.

ftpheide 4 years, 1 month ago

Zorro, Your article is very interesting. Where was it that Wall served in law enforcement for 45 years? List a few of these "intelligent professionals" that you speak of. Are any of these extremely intelligent people actually in law enforcement? Are they in real estate? Where is your proof that Garrett couldn't pass the states standard Sergeant's exam?

Scott Wedel, an avid Wall supporter and " the king of facts", feels differently about Wall's right to privacy about his medical condition.

This election is not" tainted by hate from Wiggin's supporters". Wall is not cut out to be sheriff. He has made numerous mistakes. He is defensive and refuses to learn from his mistakes. Garrett is are other choice.

stillinsteamboat 4 years, 1 month ago

I still can't get used to you people who are so eager to kick a guy when he's down. What's the purpose?? The guys in the hospital in Denver, give it a break!!!

gettinold 4 years, 1 month ago

Housepoor,

The first paragraph would rule out the possibility of your last comment.

Still in da boat

Mr Wall Started it when he intentionally gave misinformation to the paper. I have no expectation to his personal medical information. A simple "no comment" would suffice. But instead it appears he chose another path. I have a problem with that.

sodacreekpizza 4 years, 1 month ago

I hope most posters here realize that those engaged enough in the issues to spend hours posting on these blogs and reading them have already made up their minds and nothing written here is changing any votes?

So many things said in these pages are unworthy of our community. I am often embarassed to read them. I would certainly be embarassed to have written them! Take a deep breath and go out and do something useful.

Best wishes to Gary for a speedy recovery.

Steve

Aaron Murphy 4 years, 1 month ago

This article, like many, was updated as the folks at the Pilot continued to get more information.

I would have expected better from the folks who regularly post on articles about the race for Routt County Sheriff. This isn't a political article, editorial, or column. It is a story about the Sheriff being hospitalized for what sounds like it could be a very serious condition.

Take your arguments over to the article about the Sheriff's truck, and leave this story be.

Thoughts and prayers to Gary and Jenny. Get well soon.