Updated October 15, 2010 at 12:35 a.m.
2010 Sailors volleyball schedule
- Sept. 2 Steamboat 2, Middle Park 3
- Sept. 7 Steamboat 3, Vail Mountain 1
- Sept. 9 and 10 4th at Bishop Machebeuf Tournament
- Sept. 17 Steamboat 0, Delta 4
- Sept. 18 Steamboat 0, Palisade 4
- Sept. 23 Steamboat 2, Glenwood Springs 3
- Sept. 30 Steamboat 3, Moffat County 2
- Oct. 2 Steamboat 3, Battle Mountain 1; Steamboat 2, Eagle Valley 3
- Oct. 5 Steamboat 1, Palisade 3
- Oct. 8 Steamboat 3, Delta 2
- Oct. 14 3-1 win against Glenwood Springs>
- Oct. 21 Steamboat 3, Moffat County 0
- Oct. 23 Steamboat 1, Battle Mountain 3; Steamboat 0 Eagle Valley 3
Steamboat Springs The Steamboat Springs High School girls volleyball team got a win it desperately needed Thursday in Glenwood Springs, coming away with a 3-1 victory.
Steamboat won, 26-24, 21-25, 25-17 25-16.
The game was all the more important because Steamboat, Glenwood and Moffat County were tied for fourth place in the Western Slope League, with one of those teams likely to not make the district tournament.
With the win, Steamboat goes up a game on Glenwood and now holds the tiebreaker, as well.
“I feel like we really overcame something we’ve been struggling with all year long,” Steamboat coach Wendy Hall said. “Once we started playing well, we were able to keep the pedal down.”
Hall said both teams struggled in the first game, but Steamboat (8-8 overall, 4-5 in league play) was able to get the win. After a lackluster second game, Steamboat bounced back in the next two with some of its best volleyball of the season.
“Once we were in sync and settled in a little, we were really consistent in our games,” Hall said. “We didn’t open the door for them in the third and fourth game.”
Steamboat next plays at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at home against Moffat County. With a win, Steamboat would almost assure itself a spot in the postseason.
“Normally, this time of year you can predict what’s going to happen,” Hall said. “I can’t tell you what is going to happen. I can say if we win the ones we’re supposed to, we’ll be in the district playoffs.”