2 exposure cases involving Steamboat restaurant owner assigned trial dates

photo

Courtesy photo

Marco Pauvert

— Steamboat Springs restaurateur Marco Pauvert, 55, has been scheduled for two separate trials in the two accusations of indecent exposure leveled against him.

Pauvert was ar­­rested Aug. 25 after a woman accused him of exposing himself to her in his downtown Steam­­­­boat Sp­­­rings res­­taurant, The Epi­­­curian. Since that time, another woman went to police and reported a similar incident that allegedly took place in July.

In both cases, the women allege Pauvert emerged from a restroom fully naked while they were at the restaurant.

At a hearing in Routt County Court on Wednesday morning, Judge James Garrecht denied a request for a continuance from Pauvert’s attorney, Jeffery Weeden.

Weeden told Gar­­recht the extra time would be used to review a plea offer from the Routt County District Attorney’s Office and perhaps reach a resolution.

Garrecht said he knew Pauvert was not averse to going to trial — he was arrested after a neighbor reportedly saw him walking around nude in his own garage in 2005 but was acquitted of all charges.

Because of that history, Gar­­recht instead set two trial dates for Pauvert for Dec. 13 and 20.

He said the attorneys and Pauvert are free to work out a resolution before that time and that the trials could be canceled if a deal is reached.

Weeden also indicated there might be additional evidence that would assist him in Pauvert’s defense, but he did not elaborate.

In an e-mail, Weeden emphasized Pauvert’s successful business and that “Marco is involved in numerous charitable organizations and remains a strong supporter and member of the Routt County community.”

He also suggested ulterior motives for the accusations against Pauvert.

Comments

wzdeer 4 years, 1 month ago

There are a lot of people from France that don't have this consistent problem. This behavior should not be tolerated and he should be punished for his actions. Its happened before and now its happened again. Unacceptable!!!

Scott Wedel 4 years, 1 month ago

Restaurant owners come out of their bathrooms naked all the time and that is accepted everywhere except from the french guy because we don't like the french? Yeah, that defense will fly.

Bergie13 4 years, 1 month ago

Thanks Pilot, now I have the image of an old naked guy cooking French food in my head for the rest of the day...

ftpheide 4 years, 1 month ago

mama, We could go here for are joint "birthday outing." I hear there is a "floor show".

chris gibbens 4 years, 1 month ago

Hope there isn't anything going on in that kitchen like the Beastie Boys song mentioning a situation with the mashed potatoes.

notalocal 4 years, 1 month ago

he always seemed like a nice man to me; his wife is delightful and the food is always very good

bandmama 4 years, 1 month ago

ftp- ahhhhhh, no. Really, seriously nothing against the French! I was just brought up in one of those old fashioned homes where you were required to have clothes on before leaving the bathroom when other people were present.

aichempty 4 years, 1 month ago

I am not in the habit of defending a Pauvert (okay, bad pun, I admit it), but a lot depends on whether he knew there was anyone in the store when he came out of the bathroom. Attitudes about nudity are much more healthy in France than in this country (I recall staying at a budget-rate hotel in France a few years ago where the women thought nothing of removing their bikini tops to catch a few rays of the sun). This kind of thing would not be a big deal unless it was done intentionally for some prurient purpose. The same goes for slipping out to the garage for a corkscrew. Not typical American behavior for upright citizens, but in France, or even Japan, nobody would bat an eye. Nekkid ain't a hangin' offense in them places.

If "The Epicurean" is that little place on Oak Street that I "think" it is, there are curtains on all the windows and you really can't see what's going on from outside. If he was freshening up after closing time, and thought the store was empty -- that the two women had left while he was in the bathroom -- then he deserves the benefit of the doubt. It would be different if this occurred during the lunch rush.

It would not be the first time that a store owner changed clothes in his own shop. This I know for a fact.

bandmama 4 years, 1 month ago

aich- I appreciate the pun! But, when one had had the issue of nudity and the views of some Americans pointed out to him in 2005, he should have been a little bit more selective as to where he was letting it all hang out. And as someone who has had experience in the food service, most places would NEVER assume it was closing time without making sure ALL customers were out the door. In fact it isn't closing time till all the customers are out the door and have paid their tab. And as always, innocent till proven guilty....(snicker snicker snicker....)

kathy foos 4 years, 1 month ago

Yuck,I wonder what the Health Depo. thinks, checking temps?I had a restraunt,and never changed my clothes there.It would be shocking for sure,if naked in front of my customers,Im glad to be in America if that means that this is gross .Kitchen workers wear gloves,etc....Waitresses this is why you wipe down tables at every shift?Good Job!

ftpheide 4 years, 1 month ago

sun, Suspose you were sitting at a restraunt and a well built - good looking naked man emerged from a bathroom. Would you call the police or would you just consider it a good day!

Kristopher Hammond 4 years, 1 month ago

"possible motives for these allegations"? How about "he invited me to the restaurant when he knew his wife wouldn't be there, then came out of the bathroom naked and that offended me." These victims. What crybabies. I have never been to France, but they never mention the chefs popping out the the bathrooms naked in the travel articles. What an enlightened place!

bandmama 4 years, 1 month ago

sun- yeah, I may have changed into a uniform r something but I always tried to make sure the OTHER set of clothes were on before leaving the rest room...... ftp- good question, would have to ask what the nice looking young man was using to temp my food before I could ever answer that question.

ftpheide 4 years, 1 month ago

mama, "Cooked to order", don't worry about the temp.

1999 4 years, 1 month ago

it's interesting that people equate nekkid with dirty.

like things will be jumping off of him.

as far as the person who called in because he was in his own garage nekkid...i think it's the caller who has the problem not the man.

I've worked in a few restaurants in town and ALWAYS change clothes in the bathroom. maybe I just got in from skiing, or am riding my bike home, or going out after work.

I think these allegations are more than what they appear. sounds like a bunch of hysterical people freaked because for once...they saw nekkid man.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 1 month ago

1999, Like he is harassing his employees?

He is not accused of being naked in the bathroom, but being naked in the presence of a female employee.

ftpheide 4 years, 1 month ago

I don't understand why he was arrested! Was he was obscene or sexually intimidating people? Was he just "traveling lite ' from one room of his restraunt to another? Now if he is cooking in the nude that is a health dept. violation. I'm not sure traveling in the nude is! Apparently it has been proven that "hanging out" nude in your own garage is O.K.. I had no idea that you could be arrested for a health dept. violation. I thought you were just in danger of having your licence revoked.

AuroraBorealis 4 years, 1 month ago

The first woman who came forward was not an employee; the paper doesn't state if the 2nd woman was or not.

The first woman was a local business woman who went to the restaurant to speak with Mr. Pauvert about business matters.

Steamboat is a relatively small place where many of us are indirectly connected to each other through our circles of friends...

I was told the story of what happened that day and one can speculate that he was simply in the bathroom "changing his clothes"....but from what I was told that's not how things played out at all.

That said, I also keep in mind the principle that Mr. Pauvert is innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law.

I find it interesting that the Pilot disabled all 7 online comments (there were 9 at one point) from the original story printed August 27, 2010. They were disabled shortly after the article was posted.

The article was also on the "most emailed" list (it was #1 for a day or two) and then poof, that disappeared entirely from the list as well.

I don't recall seeing either of those things happen with other online articles.

ftpheide 4 years, 1 month ago

Those comments shouldn't have been posted. I saw them before they were disabled. They were about the same quality as comment that was recently disabled in response to "shawant" humorous reply. Thank you pilot for deleting that!!

Scott Wedel 4 years, 1 month ago

He is charged with indecent exposure.

The huge difference between this case and the previous case is in the earlier case he argued that he had no intent for anyone to see him. Well, that defense is much harder at a place of business. Hard for him to explain how he could walk around his restaurant with a reasonable expectation that no one would see him if the doors were unlocked.

tcb 4 years, 1 month ago

Looking at his booking photo above makes me think he should've been charged with Indecent Haircut.

Kristopher Hammond 4 years, 1 month ago

The "cultural difference" defense (these uptight Americans just don't understand my healthy European attitudes about nudity) has not been raised.

Rather, the defense is that these women are the lying: “Sadly, there has also been a past history of animosity by certain members of this community towards him and his French ancestry,” Weeden wrote. “We are confident that this firm will thoroughly investigate and bring to light the possible motives for these allegations.”

A woman made an allegation in July 2009, and a second woman (do they know each other?) made a nearly identical allegation about a year later. Both told the same "lie". It will be interesting to watch as their Francophobia is "exposed."

The defense investigation will show that these two women hate poodles, never eat French Toast, French Fries or quiche, and don't own berets.

Ironic that the diet cola of sex crimes occurred at a French Restaurant.

Kristopher Hammond 3 years, 11 months ago

Pauvert pled straight-up guilty. No trial necessary.