Wiggins’ campaign yard signs stolen in Steamboat

Some taken to opponent’s lawn, taped over Gary Wall’s campaign signs

photo

Gary Wall, left, and Garrett Wiggins will face off in November's Routt County sheriff race.

— Routt County sheriff candidate Garrett Wiggins reported that 50 to 100 of his campaign yard signs, including nearly all his signs in Old Town, were stolen during the weekend.

A number of Wiggins’ signs also appeared in his opponent Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall’s yard, where someone taped Wiggins’ signs over Wall’s.

Wiggins said he is offering a $500 reward for information leading to the arrest of a suspect in the case. Wiggins said he started getting calls from supporters and found that signs were removed across the downtown Steamboat Springs area.

Wall said he also has had signs stolen this year, but no more than in other campaigns. Wall said his wife turned the Wiggins signs over to the Steamboat Springs Police Department.

Police Detectives Capt. Bob DelValle said Wiggins made a report about the incident and detectives are working on the case.

Wiggins, as the All Crimes Enforcement Team commander, is employed through the Police Department.

Comments

seeuski 4 years, 2 months ago

Don't fall for the gimmick of pinning it on Wiggins supporters by taping his signs over Wall's. This is the tactics Democrats are using in many races around the Country.

1999 4 years, 2 months ago

see...I love it when you post.

always brings a smile to my face.

Thanks in advance!

Scott Wedel 4 years, 2 months ago

If Wall wins then he should thank people like those that posted the above messages. I find more people that find themselves to vote with the sort of lunatics that think it is so important for Wiggins to win. If the people that support Wiggins think that Wall defaced his sign in front of his house then it causes more sane people to want the lunatic's candidates to lose.

The previous election had all sorts of messages about how Wall;s would destroy the Sheriff's dept with officer's not covering the backs of pro Wall deputies that, if anything, showed that maybe the dept had deep issues and needed some house cleaning.

If Wiggins loses then it will be because of his supporters. Not just the wingnuts that post here, but that every neighborhood's unpleasant nasty anti-social person seems to have a Wiggins for Sheriff sign. There are some reasonable people with Wiggins signs, but it seems the most passionate supporters are the scariest people.

1999 4 years, 2 months ago

I know...isn't it great!!!!

The nutcases are actually a vote for Wall.

Thanks again!!!

ftpheide 4 years, 2 months ago

scott, Wingnuts, unpleasant, nasty and anti-social ! Does another opinion bother you so much that you have to resort to name calling? Your comment doesn't make any sense : " I find more people that find themselves to vote with the sort of lunatics that think it is so important for Wiggins to win. " Were you to angry to make sense? Do we scare you Scott?

seeuski 4 years, 2 months ago

You guys are so unhinged it is not funny anymore. YVMC may be a good option.

I stand by my post and I did not say Wall did it, I said Wiggins supporters were the target. If the POTUS uses these same tactics like making claims that the Chambers of Commerce are receiving foreign donations when that is a proven lie, then would it be a far fetched possibility that those same Alinsky style tactics would be used elsewhere like in this Sheriff's race? No way, the left wing would NEVER do such a thing. Lets see, up to a hundred Wiggins signs are stolen and many end up on Walls front yard and taped over his sign and it is Wiggins supporters that would do it, SUUURRRE. Besides, since all of us right wingers are so old we are in bed by 8pm after our cookies and milk. The police should check all AARP cardholders on this one. Pass the koolaid fellas.

nodui 4 years, 2 months ago

People just remember when you read Mr. Weddels comments, you just have to consider the source and where its coming from. He doesnt know any better so give him a break.

brian ferguson 4 years, 2 months ago

Undercover sniffers!! That will get whomever is responsible.

flower 4 years, 2 months ago

phpheide, Your reponse to this article of campaign signs being stolen is "Way to go Wall!"???? Does this mean that: A) you are involved with this theft, B)Approve of this theft, or C)Just randomly blurt this out

ftpheide 4 years, 2 months ago

flower, I'm going to go with c). When I read the the article it amused me. Mrs. Wall had to be the one to take the signs to the P.D.!

aichempty 4 years, 2 months ago

50 to 100 signs were taken. Mr. Numbers strikes again.

That $500 reward . . . is that from personal cash, or from election funds? Is a reward an allowed use of election funds?

"Detectives are working the case . . . " You gotta be $#!++ing me. You can't get SSPD to investigate employee theft of thousands of dollars, but they have time to chase after a bunch of redundant yard signs (as if anybody does not know that Wiggins is running for Sheriff).

Who could be out there moving around at night without drawing attention to themselves? You know, dogs barking, insomniacs peeking out the window, people walking up and down the street with a bundle of signs under their arms, or vehicles moving slowly down the street as signs are collected and stashed.

Isn't it obvious? SSPD. Who else has a legitimate reason to be out cruising old town in the middle of the night and would not draw attention to themselves? Dog barks, you look out the window, there's SSPD . . . no problem, it's only the cops.

Could it be that SSPD patrol officers are not behind Wiggins? He's paid by SSPD but works in Craig and Moffat County. Wouldn't his salary be better used to give raises to SSPD patrol officers?

This is exactly the kind of juvenile, senseless prank that would be pulled by kids who are willing to risk a misdemeanor, who go off to college and flunk out, and come home to work for the police department. I've known a bunch of them. Several of my high school classmates did EXACTLY that. They were basically good kids, but a little bit rowdy, who found in the local PD the power that made them "popular" in high school, or who discovered that the way to avoid bullying was to wear a badge and a gun. Qualifications required for Military Police in the Army are among the lowest test scores in the armed forces. If you are not inclined to be a wrench-turner or a ditch digger, MP is an alternative. Add the little bit of "power trip" that goes with the job, and VOILA! I'm gonna be a COP!

The history of public corruption in this country proves that law enforcement officers are among the most frequent abusers of governmental power.

Here's my prediction. The perpetrators will never be found. The cops won't be able to turn up any leads (wink, wink).

ftpheide 4 years, 2 months ago

The above comment is the thought pattern of a Gary Wall supporter. Don't let this happen to you! ( wink,wink )

aichempty 4 years, 2 months ago

Maybe it's the thought pattern of someone who knows how things work around here, and that's why they support Gary Wall.

aichempty 4 years, 2 months ago

ftp,

During the last general election two years ago, I finally came to the point that it was useless to oppose the Democratic agenda. It was the same during the Clinton years.

Want a little history lesson? Clinton's balancing of the budget was on the back of the armed forces, and then when we were attacked and had to go to war, billions were spent to pull broken stuff out of the shed and repair it because there was no money under Clinton.

The Republicans used their golden opportunity to make things better by squandering it on personal enrichment. That's what the Tea Party is about now. Given a choice between Dems and Reps, people don't want either one.

Obama's policies and actions in office are not working either (along with a whole bunch of Americans who are not working).

So, my conclusion is that the only way to figure out how bad it can be is to let things go to $#!+ for a few years, and then people will learn.

The worst thing we face is 4 years of having the RCSO ignore its duty to enforce the laws in Routt County. In my case, that's going to become less important as the next two years go by.

You apparently don't have any personal experience with RCSO. My opinions are firmly founded in experience with them before, and after, Wall's election. I just plain don't care what Wall and Bustos did that upset anyone else, because my life is better than it was before they took office. Wiggins is an unknown, and that's really the only thing I have against him. He's not bothering to say how he's going to make things better for the citizens of the county, and that's why everybody should doubt his motives. When RCSO deputies' bowling league and AMWAY interests got between them and protecting me and my neighbors from physical harm, Wall was not in office. Since he took over, RCSO has never let me or anyone I know down.

So, in the end the voters will choose, and we'll all be stuck with the choice. Good luck.

ftpheide 4 years, 2 months ago

aich, A few years after my husband and I retired we left Colorado Springs and moved to Routt County. We have always lived in the county. This is why I'm familiar with Sheriff Warner. I didn't have the problems with him that you have spoken about. I voted for Wall because I'm a democrat and have been for years. I can not vote for him again! I'm hopeful that Garrett will be a good sheriff. He works well with other agencies, he doesnt become angary and stop communicating. We need a change and Garrett is are only choice. We need a dedicated professional. Someone that is willing to accept responsibility for his actions. We don't have this now. Hopefully Garrett will prove himself to be worthy of this position and we will not have to look for another sheriff four years from now.

seeuski 4 years, 2 months ago

And would somebody please tell the Pilot to stop with these annoying expanding ads.

aichempty 4 years, 2 months ago

ftp,

Colorado springs. Air Force? That would explain a lot.

It's not like that in the real world.

hereandthere 4 years, 2 months ago

Ditto on the ads. I have to believe that there is no one responsible actually reading this on line version. How about it Pilot, any one in there?

ftpheide 4 years, 2 months ago

aich, Your right about "Colorado Springs - airforce, not being the real world" We are Colorado Springs Army!

tcb 4 years, 2 months ago

Interesting thought that the local police are stealing all the signs. Has a bit of an Oliver Stone twist to it, don't you think? Plausible, I guess, but don't think that it really matters in the end because everyone has made up their minds.

aichempty 4 years, 2 months ago

Walter Cronkite told a story about his time as a young reporter in Chicago. He was picked up by two cops who took him to a polling place, told him his name, and told him who he was going to vote for.

The Sheriff of Hamilton County, TN, was convicted of racketeering because he ran a "protection" racket where he charged convenience store owners a "fee" to refrain from raiding their slot machine gambling operations. He was caught by the FBI after one of the owners complained to them, and they got him in a sting where he agreed to engage in a cocaine trafficking operation. The guy had something like 18 years (or maybe 28) of law enforcement experience. It's easy to google up the story.

So, tcb, where are the arrests? Are the detectives out combing the streets, looking for evidence? Did anyone get fingerprints from the signs that were moved?

The definition of a conspiracy under federal racketeering laws is very simple. A person is guilty of conspiracy when he takes any action, or fails to act, in a manner that advances the conspiracy. He doesn't have to know anybody else involved, nor communicate with anyone else involved. He only has to do something that serves the cause of the unlawful conspiracy. Look it up.