2-year-old shot by sibling in Dinosaur

Sheriff’s office investigating how juvenile came in possession of firearm

A 2-year-old girl was allegedly shot by her 4-year-old brother Monday evening in Dinosaur in what appears to be an accident.

Jeremy Ashton, a Moffat County Sheriff’s Office investigator, said two sheriff’s office deputies responded to the call after the office was notified of the incident.

Ashton said the child was driven to the Rangely District Hospital, then flown to St. Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction.

“It sounds like the child is going to be okay,” Ashton said.

A spokesperson for St. Mary’s did not return phone calls regarding the girl’s condition as of press time Tuesday evening.

The child was shot in the arm and the bullet traveled through right side of her torso, alongside the ribs, and exited through her lower torso, Ashton said.

However, the bullet did not hit any bones or organs when she was shot, Ashton said.

K.C. Hume, chief investigator for the sheriff’s office, said the firearm was a large caliber handgun. The distance from the boy to the girl at the time of the shooting was unavailable, Hume said.

Ashton said the handgun was left in an area accessible to the children.

Investigators do not suspect foul play in the incident, although the investigation is ongoing, Ashton said.

Hume said the office’s investigation is focused on the circumstances surrounding the shooting and how the juveniles came in contact with the handgun.

Ashton said criminal charges could be filed against the owner of the handgun depending on the results of the office’s investigation into the incident.

“Obviously, it could have been prevented, but we’ll see if the person involved was at fault or not,” he said. “We’ll get further details from the deputy and his reports on the questioning of the family who were responsible for the children.”

Comments

bandmama 4 years, 2 months ago

any word on the condition of the little girl?

housepoor 4 years, 2 months ago

Glad the girl is ok. How can someone who owns the gun not be at fault for letting a 4 yr old access to it?

Scott Wedel 4 years, 2 months ago

Housepoor, I think it is possible to think of circumstances in which the parents are not at fault and are just as horrified as everyone else that this happened.

The gun could have been locked properly, but the 4 year showed initiative and showed surprising agility to climb on things to get to the key to unlock the gun.

That is probably not what happened, but that is why they investigate instead of filing charges based upon assumptions.

mtntrekker 4 years, 2 months ago

WOW! Somebody up above was watching that little girl. For a large caliber bullet to go completely through her arm and body without damaging any organs or killing her is amazing! Hopefully she will make a full recovery.

housepoor 4 years, 2 months ago

if a 4 year old got to it, it's not locked up properly,...................no excuse........owning a gun comes with an increased amount of responsibility

seeuski 4 years, 2 months ago

agreed again housepoor but it is the world of Scott and the Chubby Checker twist is normal. Lets see, lock the gun up and leave the key, right. Besides, the gun was most likely chambered as no 4 year old is going to cock a large caliber automatic pistol, not sure about a revolver, I don't own one of those.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 2 months ago

So it is reasonable to assume the circumstances and immediately file charges instead of investigating and filing charges based upon known facts?

I said I thought that the parent's were probably at fault, but that it is possible to think of circumstances where the 4 year old did far more than expected to gain access to a gun so the facts should be determined prior to filing charges. If that is crazy then I'll take my form of sanity and leave your with your form of insanity.

ftpheide 4 years, 2 months ago

see, You,ve gone and upset Scott. Welcome to the club!

seeuski 4 years, 2 months ago

Scott, Neither of us said to first charge the Parents, but if proper gun handling were used in that house the chance for a 4 yr old to achieve this level of success would be less than zero. I would bet the gun was not cleared, stored and locked. An investigation will obviously be done and I am aware of that, don't know what it will show though. There will have to be gross negligence found to charge a crime but poor parental attention is at a minimum at play here. Now back to the twist with you.

John Fielding 4 years, 2 months ago

In 1963, my cousin at age three managed to haul a ww ll vintage 30.06 out of a locked gun cabinet, get the cartridges from another room, and load and fire the rifle. It was laying flat on the floor as he could not lift it up. The slug went through two layers of oak baseboard, plaster and lath, across the next room just missing his sister, and stopped in the brick wall beyond.

Kids do the darnedest things.

John Fielding 4 years, 2 months ago

I think the keys were in the dresser drawer next to the bullets.

Kevin Nerney 4 years, 2 months ago

Obviously, safety is paramount when dealing with guns in the home, and secondly, education is important. However, if a handgun is in the house and it is not loaded and chambered all it is is a very expensive hammer. When mister bad guy breaks into your house at 3 in the morning and wants to steal your possession's and maybe rape your wife while he's at it the last thing you want to do is fumble in the dark for the keys to the gun locker and stub your toe on the dresser as you get the bullets and then nervously attempt to load the thing all while being quiet so the intruder doesn't swing a baseball bat upside your head.

Mike Heineke 4 years, 2 months ago

Mr. Wedel, In which one of your comments did you say that you thought that the parents were probably at fault? Gosh darn, I must have mis-read something from you again. Gross Neglegence!

Mike Heineke 4 years, 2 months ago

Mr. Nerney, I am all for protecting yourself from others, and at whatever cost! I would suggest to you that education is paramaount! Without it, you cannot know what safety means! But then again I'am not running for office so nobody would care anyways what my thoughts on this are, would they?

Kevin Nerney 4 years, 2 months ago

Shark-- Thanks for the plug. Yes I am running for county coroner. I think we are talking semantics here. I'm not sure a 4 year old as mentioned in the article can truly understand the gravity of the situation regarding gun safety and education. Safety on the adult side is more important than education on the child's side. Unless of course you're talking about safety and education on the adult side leaving the child out of it and then I would agree with you.

Brian Kotowski 4 years, 2 months ago

Breathtakingly tragic and mind-bogglingly negligent on the part of the parents. I'm as pro-2A as it gets, and this is something that should never have been permitted. I have no kids in the house, and the most accessible of my weapons are my bedside .38 and the 12 gauge in the closet - both are under lock & key during the day, and unlocked when I retire in the evening.

My ex-soldier/cop dad wasn't quite so anal; but had made it sufficiently clear to me & my sister how off-limits his weapons were that we would never have dared - until we had been properly trained. That training began (for me) when I was about 8. My sister put it off til she was 10 or 11. Before then, my parents made damn sure that we would never have stumbled across anything more dangerous than a kitchen knife.

It always infuriates me when I hear something like this. So unnecessary, and so easily preventable.

housepoor 4 years, 2 months ago

Ashton said the handgun was left in an area accessible to the children.

We'll see if the person involved was at fault??? I'm dumbfounded this is not a case of some 16 year old who went to great lengths to gain access to the gun it was a 4 YEAR OLD the person responsible for the gun should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law!!!