Betty Leipold: US 40 construction

I am impressed with how quickly the Lincoln Avenue construction is going, especially since the weather is cooperating. Just as impressive is how cleanly Scott Contracting works — no debris or rubbish left behind.

But I still take issue with the bump-outs. Ask anyone what they think of the bump-outs. The answer is an emphatic “I hate them!”

They are a bad idea. They have taken away several parking spaces and they are a real hindrance to making a right turn on red (which keeps traffic from backing up). Please, no more bump-outs.

Betty Leipold

Steamboat Springs

Comments

mtroach 4 years, 2 months ago

Why are the bump outs a hinderance to right on red? If you are in the lane make the turn. Remember the shoulder/parking lane is not a right hand turn lane. I think the new roadway looks great and Scott did a super job remodeling our downtown roadway.

sledneck 4 years, 2 months ago

I too am impressed with Scott's work.

The bump outs are an unmitigated DISASTER. They should be jacked up now while the work is still ongoing.

exduffer 4 years, 2 months ago

Look at it this way. You should not be making 25 MPH right hand turns when the pedestrians have the ROW. You should have no problem making a right on red assuming those who are not making a right turn are in the left lane like they should be. This should make traffic in general slow down through the downtown area. This should make drivers pay more attention to the cross walks. This should make this a more pleasent place for pedestrians. This should.....

cindy constantine 4 years, 2 months ago

. . . . be a disaster for the snowplow drivers when they have many streets to clear in a short period of time in the middle of the night when they are tired anyway . . . .

exduffer 4 years, 2 months ago

Are the left turn bubbles a problem for the plow drivers? Do the plow drivers need to drive fast or are they doing so to stay ahead of the idiots who try to pass them? Do we need to drive 25 MPH (HA) through town when it is snowing? Do you remember when it was 35 MPH from Ski Haus to town?

cindy constantine 4 years, 2 months ago

DUH, this is US Hwy 40 to Salt Lake City first and foremost that also happens to be "main street" Steamboat. Mark my words, after a snowy winter the bump outs will be toast and we will go back to wider cross street crossings with a straight Lincoln Ave. and an additional 5 seconds of crossing time so our residents and guests can cross safely!!

sledneck 4 years, 2 months ago

Exduffer, All you say might be so in a subaru. Try it in a 30' long dump truck or even a long pickup with a little trailer and you will learn what the term "offtracking" means. A term C-DOT should know but apparently they don't get it either. It's a disaster... unless, like you EVERYONE ELSE wants to take more time getting through town.

Let's see... Traffic comming into town (from the west) at the rate of 200 vehicles/ x and able to pass through town at the rate of 100/ x. Sounds like a GOVERNMENT equation to me.

Who made the decision? I think I only need one guess

jk 4 years, 2 months ago

exduffer has obviously never plowed snow before, 'cause anyone who has knows exactly where it falls off your blade when making a turn like that!!

cindy constantine 4 years, 2 months ago

For a real chuckle, take a look at the north(sunny) side of Lincoln, slant of the street and drain placement------can you say ICE DAM in the crook of the bump out . . . .

exduffer 4 years, 2 months ago

jk- guess what? I do plow snow for a living! I will admit that those bulb oust will create a challenge but as any reputable plow driver will tell you if it wasn't for the challenges we would be falling asleep at nightI. I have experienced areas way more messed up than downtown and have managed to work it out. We should probably require every civil engineer to plow snow for a couple seasons before they get their license. I have a feeling that the reason the bulb outs are angled as opposed to curved is to force the plow drivers to slow down not just fly around them.( no that would be giving the designer too much credit) Trust me once a plow driver hits one of those at anything over 5 MPH he will be doing his best the next time through.

mtroach 4 years, 2 months ago

They were opening eastbopund lanes this afternoon. Looks great.

mtntrekker 4 years, 2 months ago

It is a lot of fun standing on one of those bumpouts and having an 18 wheeler drive by 3 feet from your face. Go take a look at the new Soda Creek elementary sidewalks. There are a few chunks missing from the curbs from snowplows.

John Fielding 4 years, 2 months ago

There will be some damage to the curbs and to the plows, but mostly there will just be big piles of snow at the bumpouts. When I am waiting to cross I still stand back near where the old line was, but I used to stand ahead of it so my crossings time is exactly the same.

Maybe line painting will help with people making one lane out of two, but it will probably require signs hung up next to the traffic lights indicating a two lane configuration to match the two lights that are already there. And that only works on the side streets, on Lincoln the right on red is pretty much dead.