Omar M. Campbell: Pot problem

There are lots of names for marijuana: cannabis (from Cannabis sativa, the genus and species of the marijuana plant), pot, maryjane, weed, etc. Its advocates use a lot of euphemisms in their promotions — e.g., dealers are “caregivers,” pot is a “medicine” (not a drug), buyers are “patients” who “medicate,” dealer locations are “dispensaries,” and they are entrepreneurs forming new “industries” that pay sales taxes.

On the latter point — will sales taxes offset the law enforcement and other social negatives? Will “medicated patient” drivers increase DUIDs and auto accidents? “Dispensaries” will be prime targets for addicts to burglarize. It already is happening on the Eastern Slope. Time will tell.

For a couple of excellent articles offering much detail and perspective on “medical” pot, read TIME magazine for Nov. 22, and local Dr. John Sharp’s incisive letter to the editor in the Steamboat Pilot & Today on Nov. 14. Local Dr. Dan Smilkstein also wrote a similar letter some time ago. The Pilot & Today recently ran a three-part series on the subject, which appeared to be largely based on interviewing local dealer aspirants. Bravo to the doctors and TIME.

Isn’t it curious that three-quarters of “patients” are younger than 40, a period in life when we are the most pain-free? New Jersey has it about right, where only the terminally ill can get a medical marijuana prescription.

Touting medical marijuana is basically an end-run ploy to eventually legitimize and legalize a Schedule 1 gateway drug. We already have a couple of legal drugs — alcohol and tobacco. Why compound these social negatives with yet another?

Omar M. Campbell

Steamboat Springs

Comments

1999 3 years, 5 months ago

how do you feel about the abundance of bogus prescriptions for pain meds and personality drugs?

how do you feel about the abundance of drug store burlaries?

how do you feel about the unbelievable number of people who drive hopped up on legal drugs?

I can GAURANTEE you Omar...you have friends that walk around all day drugged out on perfectly legal drugs that their doctor prescribed and in my opinon are far far far more of a hazard than anyone smoking weed.

seeuski 3 years, 5 months ago

I agree about those abusers hopped up on prescription drugs and would guess Omar agrees with you too. That is why it is a crime as 1999 describes it. But those same drugs are prescribed for people who need them for things like blood pressure, cancer, and other diseases. Should those drugs be made illegal because some small % of people are abusers of them? Should the vast majority of people who need those prescribed drugs be denied their life line to be fair to those who want pot legalized so they can party? Omar said that NJ has it right for MMJ in that state. So it seems to me that he sees the limited controlled benefit that some may be getting from MMJ. That seems fair. I GUARANTEE that Omar.... seems very rational in his letter 1999.

runnerbikerdriver44 3 years, 5 months ago

1999--in your opinion, legal drugs are far more hazardous than legal drugs. The only problem is, where is the basis to any of this? I'm not arguing against you, but I'm trying to make the point that until there are double-blinded studies done by independent researchers, we will not know if it's true or not.

Believe me, I hate the fact that if I have to go to the ER, the doctors here prescribe not one, but sometimes 3 different pain medications. Even if you refuse the drugs, telling them you don't need them, they will still insist on you taking them. I end up going home and throwing them out, but this is why there is such a huge problem with prescription drug abuse. In the same respect, I had a co-worker who was busted for smoking pot on the job, ran to a MMJ clinic in town claiming he had chronic back pain so he could receive a MMJ license to get out of trouble, and then laughed about how easy it was to get prescribed Marijuana. Then next day, he was out participating in active water sports. Both industries, and both sets of local doctors have proved faulty, and people take advantage of both systems.

I feel that if there is anything being prescribed, the drug should be regulated, and so should the doctors. Over prescribing drugs is a large part of the problem in our country, whether it be prescription drugs, or MMJ.

1999 3 years, 5 months ago

and pot is also prescribed for people who need it for blood pressure, cancer and other diseases.

the fact is ALL drugs are abused.

Omar says this at the end.....Touting medical marijuana is basically an end-run ploy to eventually legitimize and legalize a Schedule 1 gateway drug. We already have a couple of legal drugs — alcohol and tobacco. Why compound these social negatives with yet another.

why compound the problems associated with alchohol and tobacco with pain meds and personality drugs???

those drugs are abused too.

I personaly know a woman who had her leg amputated at 16 years old. pot saved her life and was HER lifeline. other pain drugs made her sick.

sledneck 3 years, 5 months ago

If the government didn't make it their business as to what supposedly "FREE" people drink, smoke, eat, grow, etc we would not be having this discussion.

The argument here is not about whether pot should be prescribed. The question is who's freakin business is it but the consumer?

mmjPatient22 3 years, 5 months ago

Omar- You're ridiculous and I invite you to come on here and defend otherwise.

Sledneck- That's some good preachin' right there. Did you happen to catch wind of this guy and what all he's going through? http://globalpoliticalawakening.blogspot.com/2010/11/supreme-court-will-soon-issue-landmark.html

runnerbikerdriver44 3 years, 5 months ago

Sledneck-the government does, and should regulate everything we eat, drink, smoke, etc. Can you imagine if they didn't care about salads that contained e.coli, or alcohol with harmful additives? Or maybe we should just allow human growth hormones in milk again; I could stand to be a little bit taller... What? Not punny?

freerider 3 years, 5 months ago

Hey Omar , did you read this one and for riverbiker

Legal drugs kill far more people than all illegal drugs combined ...

The last 5 surgeon generals have all confirmed that nobody has ever overdosed on Marijuana

And since your bent on this why don't you get on your soapbox about text messaging which is now the leading cause of auto accidents. It's a bigger problem than DUI'S

And you don't mention anything why it's illegal in the first place...I'll give you a hint it's not because it's dangerous....In 1937 a bunch of wealthy white racists made it illegal to protect corporate profits

What's that you say , you don't believe me ....well well ..then just read the marijuana tax act of 1937 for yourself....just google it if your not too messed up on your meds which seem to be effecting your brain

The biggest problem with pot these days is that it's making drug cartels rich

prop 19 in California was hailed a victory by every major drug cartel on the planet

People like Omar Cambell are scared little sheep that will believe anything that there sheep herder will shove down their throat

Scott Wedel 3 years, 5 months ago

Statistically, young people using alcohol are more likely to have drug addiction issues than young people that use pot.

The evidence simply does not support the claim that mj is a "gateway" drug.

The bigger issue is that it has been widely illegally used for decades. What about all of the costs of that and all of the illegal activity financed by that?

runnerbikerdriver44 3 years, 5 months ago

Freerider-it's called reading comprehension-try it. I never once in any of my posts attacked MMJ use. In fact, if you read the above posts, you will see that I argued that both sides have problems. But hey, if you can't figure out that the first word in my screen name is "runner," then asking you to read the posts altogether maybe a stretch. In fact, the article you posted on there worked with my point about drugs being over-prescribed and doctors needing to be regulated, so thanks! I wish, for arguements sake, you could say something other than "well, it's not as bad as this." It's like saying yeah, you stole something, but at least you didn't kill anyone! Okay, I'm going to get off my soapbox, because between that and my human growth hormones that have been kindly put back in to my milk so I can now be taller, I'm feeling dizzy.

JLM 3 years, 5 months ago

The argument for or against MMJ is not founded on whether it is bad or worse than legal prescription drugs even when those legal drugs are abused.

It is perfectly clear that the legalization of MMJ is the first step in a campaign to legalize marijuana. The failed California initiative is illuminating on this score.

Regardless of which side one is on, the fundamental question remains the same --- Does America need more drugged folks in general and driving vehicles in particular?

muck 3 years, 5 months ago

Toooooooo many religions but only one GOD, we don't need another savior!

Scott Wedel 3 years, 5 months ago

JLM, I think most that most that voted for MMJ in Colorado did not believe that MMJ was a miracle drug, but that the initiative provided a regulated structure for MJ for patients that did not provide easy legal access for drug dealers or kids.

The California legalization initiative that failed a couple weeks ago actually ended up with opposition from many involved with MMJ. Basically, these people thought that MMJ business under current regulations was better than legalized under the initiative's regulations. One thing that has not happened with MMJ is any social disaster that is creating political support for repealing MMJ and making pot illegal under all circumstances again.

What has yet to be shown is whether MMJ increases the number of people using pot. It is clear that the great majority of MMJ users were previously illegal users of pot.

freerider 3 years, 5 months ago

hey runner....well my bad....I guess if your posts don't hold up then you gotta attack the messenger

what's the matter did your mommy drop you on your head ??

kathy foos 3 years, 5 months ago

Sour grapes,it is legal for medical use,you are redundant and undemocratic.If you start a campaign to change the law thats one thing ,but just whinning is another.

sledneck 3 years, 5 months ago

Runner..., Wrong! What I eat, drink, smoke, grow, drive, buy, sell, barter, etc is my business, not yours or our retarded Uncle Scam.

On balance people would be better off with e-coli and without government. E-coli harms less people.

runnerbikerdriver44 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh freerider-just read what I posted above, and then go from there. We're actually arguing for the same thing. At least the article you posted was pointing out the same thing I posted above. I was saying, like the article you posted said, that there is a large problem with doctors over-prescribing drugs. I pointed out an specific incident where I asked a local doctor to not be prescribed drugs, and was giving prescriptions to three. Then, I pointed out that a co-worker went to get a MMJ license in order to get out of trouble for smoking pot at work, and he laughed at out easy it was to get a license. As I stated above, both doctors have proved to have problems with over-prescribing. MMJ is already trending towards the same problem as legal drugs being over-prescribed by doctors.

And my mom may not have dropped me on my head, but I'm happy to say that she taught me to read something in it's entirety and then form an argument, opinion, etc.

trump_suit 3 years, 5 months ago

I think that the crux of this debate should not be whether or not MMJ or other drugs should be legal or illegal. Most Americans would agree that the problem of drug/alchohol abuse costs us all billions of dollars each year.

The real question should be: Are the current interdiction/crime and punishment policies making the problem of abuse better or worse.

It is my argument that there is a segment of our population that abuses whatever substance they come in contact with and that this behavior does not change depending on whether substance X is legal or not. By making these substances hard to get we have funneled billions of dollars into the black market, moved billions more into enforcement and the criminal system, and have largely ignored the very real problem of abuse.

It is time to stop the less than successful "War on Drugs", legalize the whole shooting match and spend our resources on those that may benefit from help and education. It would be cheaper to simply take care of the chronic abuse cases than it is to fight the issue of drug use. Why is it so hard to acknowledge that America has lost the "War on Drugs". Drugs are more available than ever, and do you know anyone that stopped using drugs because they were arrested?

Simply put, it is time to try another solution. The current effort is just not working.

An excellent example would be the efforts of MADD and the push against driving drunk. Since the 70's our country has made major strides in increasing awareness of the dangers of DUI, have created strong punishments for those that put others at risk with their actions, and have reduced the incidence of DUI. All of this has been accomplished while the underlying substance (alchohol) remains legal and freely available.

JLM 3 years, 4 months ago

Capitulation to the forces of evil and vice is always a great policy. LOL

John Fielding 3 years, 4 months ago

Seeing it in terms of evil and vice is a major root of the problem.

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

With 1.5 million Americans being arrested each year for simple drug possession — 40% of them for marijuana — it raises the question of whether arresting users is a cost-effective use of taxpayer money. Billions of dollars are spent each year on enforcement of drug possession laws and that enforcement is notoriously racially biased — if ceasing to arrest users for possession has essentially no effect, is this really a good way to spend scarce money?

7 Mexican drug cartels estimated worth is 46 billion a year DEA annual budget 400 million a year.

DO YOU THE TAX PAYER GET YOUR MONEY'S WORTH?

In 2005 the U.S. Department of Justice statistics on the total number of state and federal drug prisoners suggests that there are now about 33,655 state inmates and 10,785 federal inmates behind bars for marijuana offenses. The report failed to include estimates on the percentage of inmates incarcerated in county and/or local jails for pot-related offenses.

Multiplying these totals by U.S. DOJ prison expenditure data reveals that taxpayers are spending more than $1 billion annually to imprison pot offenders.

POT PROBLEM?

More like STUPIDITY PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

And I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more. -- Ezekiel 34:29

"The Lord said unto me, 'I will take my rest and I will consider in my dwelling place like a clear heat upon herbs.' " -- Isaiah 18:4-5

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

The hemp plant (scientific name: cannabis, slang: marijuana) is one of the many useful herbs "yielding seed after its kind" created and blessed by God on the third day of creation, "and God saw that it was good." (Genesis 1:12) He gave hemp for people to use with our free will.

God said, "Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed which is upon the face of all the earth.…To you it will be for meat." … And God saw everything that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. (Genesis 1:29-31) The Bible predicts some herb's prohibition. "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times, some shall … speak lies in hypocrisy … commanding to abstain from meats which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. (Paul: 1 Timothy 4:1-3)

The Bible speaks of a special plant. "I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more." (Ezekiel 34:29) A healing plant. On either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare 12 manner of fruits, and yielding her fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. (Revelations 22:1-2) A gift from God.

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

He said not to criticize other people for their habits. "Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; that which cometh out of the mouth defileth a man." (Mat. 15:11) The apostle Paul wrote, I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. … For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. (Paul: Romans 14:14,17)

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could. William F. Buckley, Jr.

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

"The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this." - Albert Einstein quote on Hemp

HERE IS PROOF! ALL YOU NAY SAYERS AINT NO EINSTEIN!

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

"There's been no top authority saying what marijuana does to you. I really don't know that much about it. I tried it once but it didn't do anything to me." - John Wayne quote on Marijuana

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

"Why use up the forests which were centuries in the making and the mines which required ages to lay down, if we can get the equivalent of forest and mineral products in the annual growth of the hemp fields?" - Henry Ford quote on Marijuana

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself; and where they are, they should be changed. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against possession of marihuana in private for personal use... Therefore, I support legislation amending Federal law to eliminate all Federal criminal penalties for the possession of up to one ounce of marihuana." - Jimmy Carter, U.S. President quote on Marijuana

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

"Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could." - William F. Buckley Jr. Conservative Scholar, Editor-at-large of The National Review

"When a private enterprise fails, it is closed down; when a government enterprise fails, it is expanded. Isn’t that exactly what’s been happening with drugs?" - Milton Friedman

1976 Nobel Prize in Economics, and is a Senior Research Fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University.

READ MORE FAMOUS MARIJUANA QUOTES

MARIJUANA HISTORICAL FACTS

For 3000 Years prior to 1842, marijuana and hashish extracts were the most widely-used medicines in the world. Prior to 1842, marijuana and hashish extracts were the most widely used medicines in the world.

Benjamin Franklin started one of America's first paper mills with cannabis, allowing a colonial press free from English control.

The U.S. Government distributed 400,000 pounds of cannabis seeds to American farmers in 1942 to aid the war effort.

Archaeologists agree that cannabis was among the first crops purposely cultivated by human beings at least over 6,000 years ago, and perhaps more than 12,000 years ago.

Hemp has been grown for at least the last 12,000 years for fiber (textiles and paper) and food. It has been effectively prohibited in the United States since the 1950s.

George Washington and Thomas Jefferson both grew hemp. Ben Franklin owned a mill that made hemp paper. Jefferson drafted the Declaration of Independence on hemp paper.

Betsy Ross sewed the first American flag from hemp.

The first report of marijuana as medicine was 2727 B.C. in China.

In the U.S.A. hemp was used as medicine began in 1840 with the introduction of stronger varieties of marijuana and was used for almost 100 years. Some 360,000 acres of marijuana was grown annually during World War II, the seed crop grown by the 4H kids in Kentucky.

Abraham Lincoln’s wife, Mary Todd, came from the richest hemp-growing family in Kentucky.

The Volstead Act of 1920, which raised the price of alcohol in the United States, positioned marijuana as an attractive alternative and led to an increase in use of the drug. "Tea pads," where a person could purchase marijuana for 25 cents or less, began appearing in cities across the United States, particularly as part of the black "hepster" jazz culture.

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

Refusing to grow Hemp in America during the 17th and 18th Centuries was against the law! You could be jailed in Virginia for refusing to grow hemp from 1763 to 1769.

Jefferson smuggled hemp seeds from China to France then to America.

The War of 1812 was fought over hemp. Napoleon wanted to cut off Moscow's export to England.

The first crop grown in many states was hemp. 1850 was a peak year for Kentucky producing 40,000 tons. Hemp was the largest cash crop until the 20th Century; State Archives.

Oldest known records of hemp farming go back 5000 years in China, although hemp industrialization probably goes back to ancient Egypt.

Rembrandt, Gainsborough and Van Gogh as well as most early canvas paintings were principally painted on hemp linen.

In 1916, the U.S. Government predicted that by the 1940s all paper would come from hemp and that no more trees need to be cut down. Government studies report that 1 acre of hemp equals 4.1 acres of trees. Plans were in the works to implement such programs; Department of Agriculture

Quality paints and varnishes were made from hemp seed oil until 1937. 58,000 tons of hemp seeds were used in America for paint products in 1935.; Sherman Williams Paint Co. testimony before Congress against the 1937 Marijuana Tax Act.

*Henry Ford's first Model-T was built to run on hemp gasoline and the car itself was constructed from hemp. On his large estate, Ford was photographed among his hemp fields. The car, 'grown from the soil,' had hemp plastic panels whose impact strength was 10 times stronger than steel; Popular Mechanics, 1941.

Hemp called 'Billion Dollar Crop.' It was the first time a cash crop had a business potential to exceed a billion dollars; Popular Mechanics, Feb., 1938.

Mechanical Engineering Magazine (Feb. 1938) published an article entitled 'The Most Profitable and Desirable Crop that Can be Grown.' It stated that if hemp was cultivated using 20th Century technology, it would be the single largest agricultural crop in the U.S. and the rest of the world. In the 1930s, innovations in farm machinery would have caused an industrial revolution when applied to hemp. This single resource could have created millions of new jobs generating thousands of quality products. Hemp, if not made illegal, would have brought America out of the Great Depression.

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

The DEA's own conservative administrative law judge, Francis Young, after taking medical testimony for 15 days and reviewing hundreds of DEA/NIDA documents positioned against the evidence introduced by marijuana reform activists, concluded in September 1988 that "marijuana is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man."

The parachute used by George Herbert Walker Bush when his bomber was shot down over the Pacific in 1944 was 100% legal American "Marihuana." George W. Bush was not born until 1946. Therefore, legal "Marihuana" has saved the lives of two US Presidents.

During the three years that the United States was officially involved in World War II, nearly one million acres of "Marihuana" were legally grown throughout the country. For the next forty years, every Federal Administration denied the existence of the film, "Hemp For Victory." Finally, in 1989, independent researchers discovered two copies of the film in the Library of Congress. Yet to this day, the US Federal government refuses to admit that Cannabis Sativa has any uses, whether as medicine or as a resource.

In September of 1937, hemp became illegal. The most useful crop known became a drug and our planet has been suffering ever since.

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

Approximately 50% of all drug enforcement money, federal and state, during the last 60 years has been directed toward marijuana!

Some 70-80% of all persons now in federal and state prisons in America wouldn't have been there as criminals until just 60 or so years ago. In other words we, in our (Anslinger and Hearst inspired) ignorance and prejudice, have placed approximately 800,000 of the 1.2 million people in American prisons (as of August 4, 1998) for crimes that were, at worst, minor habits, up until the Harrison Act, 1914 (whereby the U.S. Supreme Court in 1924 first ruled that drug addicts weren't sick, they were instead vile criminals).

Eighty percent of these government "War on Drugs" victims were not dealing. They have been incarcerated for simple possession. And this does not include the quarter of a million more in county jails.

Remember, just 30 years ago, in 1978, before the "War on Drugs," there were only 300,000 persons in American prisons for all crimes combined.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 4 months ago

muck-

Damn, we oughtta write a book together some time.

MMJ

Knowledge is POWER!

This is not about MMJ! Democracy is what i am after. FREEDOM OF CHOICE!!!!

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

The day the Marihuana Tax Act was passed, federal agents arrested Samuel Caldwell, 58, in Denver, CO, for selling two marihuana cigarettes. Samuel Caldwell became the first American convicted under the new federal law. He was sentenced to four years in Levenworth Penitentiary, and died a year after being released.

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

And remember why Mr Caldwell was arrested?

Because "when white women smoke marihiana, they want to have SEX with "n" and entertainers and such"-Harry J. Aslinger 1937

AND... "when darkies smoke marihiana, they think they are as good as white men"- Harry J. Aslinger 1937

YOU SUPPORT CRIMINALIZATION, YOU SUPPORT RACISM!

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

You ALSO support DRUG DEALERS DRUG CARTELS NON-REGULATED PRODUCTS GOVERNMENT LIES HUGE DEFICITS AND HIGHER TAXES ALLOWING KIDS TO GET MMJ EASIER FAILED POLICY HUGE CORPORATE PROFITS YELLOW JOUNALISM AND LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES!

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast.”- Ronald Reagan 1980

Gee you wonder why we are mad about the lies?

Clearsky 3 years, 4 months ago

The punishment should fit the crime! So if someone smokes pot and it happens to be bad for that person ,then that is their punishment. Simple! Why should we spend $60,000-$250,000 a year on each prisoner? (adult - juvenile costs)

Scott Wedel 3 years, 4 months ago

muck "YOU SUPPORT CRIMINALIZATION, YOU SUPPORT RACISM! "

That is comically bad logic. No, just because a racist likes hunting does not mean all hunters are racist. It means one hunter is racist. Just as the history means a leading proponent of criminalization was racist, but does not mean the rest of those people were racist.

The simplest argument for legalization with regulation (ie true legalization or easy to get mmj) is that it is an expensive war for law enforcement that has been lost (still easily available) without any evidence that the war was worth fighting.

Scott,

WHY IS MJ ILLEGAL? WHY? Based on all the reasons, lies, and scare tactics WHY is marijuana illegal?

These people dont have the facts. THEY BELIEVE IDIOTIC SCARE TACTICS AND LIES.

The overwhelming LOSS in the "war on drugs" only solidifies the reasons to STOP the insane loss of TRILLIONS AND TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS and to abandon a FAILED POLICY!
But they dont go after LEGAL more deadly things and just justifiy there existiance. Or for some D**N reason want to tell me what i can and can't do with my body. ALL OF THEM ARE HOLY SAVIORS AND NONE OF THEM GO TO CHURCH.

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

All you NA-SAYERS. LOOK AT CLEARSKY COMMENTS.

That is reality.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 4 months ago

Why was MJ made illegal? Because all drugs that gave a high were made illegal back then. Cocaine and heroin were also made illegal. The broader context was the new science of Psychology was expected to bring an age of Reason and so anything letting people get high was considered bad policy. Note that virtually every country also banned it.

As a general policy, I think it makes sense to ban recreational drugs. I certainly would not want nightclubs able to promote that they are selling the latest designer drug and have that be legal. Drugs like Ecstasy should be illegal. And the drug war is not a complete waste for most drugs. Most people would not be fine knowing that a neighbor shares crack to other neighbors. But mj has crossed over that line and is socially tolerated. Most people don't care if someone they know smokes pot or if a couple of neighbors share a joint.

The war on MJ is lost. Most people don't fear it. Most people don't use it regularly, but most people have tried it and know it does not cause dire problems. When the worst medical issue is that some young chronic users experience vomiting that goes away when they stop using mj then that just demonstrates that the side effects are overall minor.

And "TRILLIONS AND TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS"??? Hyperbolic comments don't help your argument.

Clearsky 3 years, 4 months ago

Really Man! Which causes more harm? Smoking pot or losing one's job because of exposure that may have happened in the past 45 days that can show up in a piss test? Losing a job that supports a family and pays taxes. Losing the ability to gain employment because of exposure to smoke that may show up 45 days later. Jail time, jail record all cause more HARM than simply smoking pot that has been shown over and over to bestow medical benefit. Which is more harmful? What some does or what the Law does?????

muck 3 years, 4 months ago

In 2005, the DEA seized a reported $1.4 billion in drug trade related assets and $477 million worth of drugs. However, according to the White House's Office of Drug Control Policy, the total value of all of the drugs sold in the U.S. is as much as $64 billion a year, making the DEA's efforts to intercept the flow of drugs into and within the U.S. less than 1% effective. Defenders of the agency's performance record argue that the DEA has had a positive effect beyond their relatively small annual seizures by placing pressure on traffickers, raising prices for consumers which may reduce the affordability of drugs[citation needed].

Critics of this theory (including the Nobel Prize winning economist Milton Friedman, prior to his death a member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition) point out that demand for illegal drugs is inelastic; the people who are buying drugs will continue to buy them with little regard to price, often turning to crime to support expensive drug habits when the drug prices rise. One recent study showed that the price of cocaine and methamphetamine is the highest it has ever been while the quality of both is at its lowest point ever. This is contrary to a collection of data done by the Office of National Drug Control Policy, which states that purity of street drugs has increased, while price has decreased.In sharp contrast to the statistics presented by the DEA, the United States Department of Justice released data in 2003 showing that purity of methamphetamine was on the rise. Ironically, this information was provided to the USDOJ by the DEA -Wapika and USDOJ.gov

PRIME EXAMPLE-----

77 year old Willie Nelson arrested for possession of of MARIJUANA. He admitted it was his weed. Local prosocution stated he will more than likely serve 180 days in jail. IS WILLIE THE DOWNFALL OF SOCITETY? IS HE A MEXICAN DRUG CARTEL LEADER? IS HE A THREAT TO YOUR KIDS?

Arresting officers pay-? Proscuting pay-? addministration pay-? 180 days in jail will cost YOU AND ME according to the DEA and Department of Justice.........$2100.00 per month.

JUST HOUSING HIM IN JAIL FOR 180 DAYS WILL COST A WOPPING $12,600.00 JUST HOUSING JUST HOUSING JUST HOUSING JUST HOUSING.

So do you think he will learn his lesson? Will he stop smoking weed?

YOU NA-NAYSAERS LOOK AT THAT AND TELL ME HOW THIS IS A VICTORY FOR THE WAR ON DRUGS? HOW CAN YOU CONTINUE TO SUPPORT SUCH BS!

WHAT A WASTE OF TAXPAYERS MONEY!!