Oak Creek neighbor concerned about strong marijuana odor

— The town of Oak Creek is taking a closer look at the odor from a medical marijuana processing facility after a resident and former Planning Com­mission member complained that the filters on the plant were not working.

Skyler Hartman and Joe Mc­­Intyre III took over Chan Zwanzig’s building at 240 S. Arthur St. after the Oak Creek Town Board approved the business in July.

Since that time, there haven’t been any complaints until a recent Oak Creek Town Board meeting, Mayor Nikki Knoebel said.

“That was the first time we had heard anything about that,” she said.

She said she encourages residents to contact the town by letter or e-mail before issues become contentious.

At the meeting, Jackie Brown, who lives near the former kayak factory used as a growing space, said she was upset that she could smell the marijuana once a week. The operators agreed to use filters to keep any smell from the marijuana from escaping, and Knoebel said the town could impose fines if those regulations were not met.

Reached Wednesday, Brown said her temporary anger was based on conflicting feelings about the business.

“I’m angry because I feel like Oak Creek, as well as other Colorado communities, are trying to navigate the waters we don’t have the education and experience to navigate,” she said. “I’m not against medical marijuana, but I really don’t know how I feel, and that’s upsetting to me.”

Knoebel said she would ask Oak Creek Public Works Director Bob Redding, who was out of town when the issue was first raised, and Oak Creek Police Department Chief Ad­­ministrative Officer Lance Dunaway to look into the issue.

Brown said she’s sure things will work out.

“I think that the person operating the business … has a great work ethic. I think he must have a successful business, I think he must know how to take care of the problems that arise with this, and I guess all I can do is trust that it can happen, that things will be dealt with appropriately and responsibly,” she said. “I believe that it will.”

Knoebel said the town has not had any other complaints about that business or Mary’s, the medical marijuana dispensary in town.

Zwanzig, who also was at the Town Board meeting, said he passed the concerns along to his tenants, who said they would talk to Brown. McIntyre and Hart­­man could not be reached Wednesday despite messages passed through Zwanzig.

Comments

muck 3 years, 11 months ago

I am angry people want to tell me what i can and can't do with my body JACKIE BROWN!

flotilla 3 years, 11 months ago

I am sorry, but I said I didn't have a problem with medical or recreational marijuana. I just wish there was a better light industrial park in Oak Creek for anyone to grow or make whatever they want, but I understand that there isn't. Zach left that out. I said one thing two weeks ago and it gets blown out of proportion into an entire article, I don't know where he came up with the "once a week". I never filed a complaint, nor do I intend to. It was a 30 second comment that was solved at the meeting that turns into this. Muck, sorry you can't read my "quotes" - guess what, the settling ponds are being mitigated and I don't care what you put in your body. I also think you might want to know that they are not a tax paying business, they are a wholesaler, no tax dollars here. Sorry I look like such a jerk in this article, thanks Zach. It was never my intention to start anything worthy of this much attention. I made a mistake and I have apologized to everyone I have seen since that meeting. Dear Everyone, sorry for making a mistake.
Jackie Brown

Scott Wedel 3 years, 11 months ago

And Jackie, An apology like above in which you deny 98% of what you said and say "30 seconds" and "a mistake" is meaningless to me. You cannot be denying what you said and give a meaningful apology.

Personally, I think for the Planning Board should strongly consider issuing an apology to the Town Board, the applicants and the Town for how a planning board member conducted herself at the Town Board meeting. That they as the Planning Board recognize that there is proper way to represent the Planning Board when at a Town Board meeting discussing a change of land use and that at a recent Town Board meeting that a then member of the Planning Board violated that far worse than her 30 second mistake apology acknowledges.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 11 months ago

30 Seconds??? Mayor Nikki spent more time than that trying to get you to be quiet and respect others in the meeting.

You were a member of the Planning Board and yet you poisoned the discussion of Jacob Wise's application for 106 Moffat with your rant about occasional smells, their dogs doing their business in your yard, that mmj is a farce, about holding a referendum on mmj in Oak Creek if Jacob's application was approved, about mmj being forced onto us and about no sales taxes being collected from the grow operations near your house. When you took your oath of office you promised to not do what you did in that meeting.

This article was not unfair to you. It was kind. They could have had an article about a planning board member losing it and printed a transcript of that part of the meeting.

Since you obviously don't remember everything you said then I suggest you go to Town Hall and listen to the recording of that meeting.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 11 months ago

And your rant was not directed at Jacob's operations, but at the warehouse near your residence that has no connection to Jacob.

flotilla 3 years, 11 months ago

Dear Scott, I retract my apology to you. Nothing you do in Oak Creek impresses me and I don't care if you think I suck. You do absolutely nothing to make Oak Creek a better place except complain. You insult people that try to make the town a better place and stand on a pedestal looking down on everyone.

I suppose if one hour must define my life for all time, I will just brand myself and deal with eternal damnation.

You want better infrastructure? Why don't you start looking to solve the problem instead of adding to it. I would love to wash my car at your car wash but you won't pay the fees to get it up and running. That money could help fix the infrastructure. But it is too high, too unfair and too troublesome, right Scott? What is hilarious, Scott, is that you wanted Jacob to pay to fix up your property for you - how is that different that applying for a grant? Look around town for my public apology Scott. It will be at the post office & town hall tomorrow morning. Jackie Brown

Scott Wedel 3 years, 11 months ago

Brent, If you are going to yank posts that accurately describe what public officials said and did in public meetings can you at least contact the person that submitted the post and say what was the unacceptable part?

I thought maybe an earlier post was yanked because of not enough apostrophes in a swear word, but the second post on this thread has the same as what was in my post. And though I didn't quote it, the curse word was the exact word she used in the meeting. So now I honestly have no idea why a post regarding a public official's actions in a public meeting was pulled.

1999 3 years, 11 months ago

wow Jackie...whats wrong with the occaional smell of MJ?

do you get this fired up about the coffee roasters the burger shop, the chinese restaurant too or is it just the mj?

I think i know the answer.

plus you sound like a truly angry person. get a grip

cargo 3 years, 11 months ago

OMG...Jackie....you are flotilla? Wow. I thought we were friends?

Scott Wedel 3 years, 11 months ago

Jackie, It makes no sense to operate a business that is making less than the utility bills. The Town was charging me for speculated high water and sewer usage even though the existing water meter showed it was using less water than the average residence. The Town even had an ordinance saying a business using a minimal amount of water can pay the residential rate. When I pointed out that ordinance justified charging the car wash less then the Town Board repealed that ordinance. I was not asking for any grants or hand outs. I was just asking for what the water meter showed was actual usage and fair billing of actual usage. The concept of reading an existing water meter was too hard for the Town to deal with.

What is hilarious is your lack of understanding of basic economics. You want me to operate the car wash at a loss due to speculated water usage even after I, the owner and operator, shows (and accepted by the Town's lawyer) that actual usage is far less.

I am happy using 106 Moffat to store stuff. For that use there is no reason for me to spend money on improving the building electrical infrastructure or reconnect it to water and sewer. I see that commercial rents are about $5 per square foot with lots of commercial vacancies. It makes no economic sense for me to spend thousands to make the sort of improvements needed by Jacob unless Jacob was going to move in.

What is hilarious is your lack of understanding of commercial leases. Jacob with his history of large developments had no problems with our agreement. But you as a planning board member considers it to be a joke? If you must know, he was going to get credit on his rent for much of the improvements. But you can't see how that is different from a grant? It is different from a grant because it is mutually beneficial business relationship between the property owner and the tenant. The tenant gets a place to operate his business and the property owner gets rent and building improvements. That someone could be on the planning board and not know the difference between a grant and a commercial lease is shocking.

What is hilarious is a Town that is desperate for sales tax revenues to have a planning board member that is so ignorant of basic economics, commercial leases and is openly hostile to business owners and property investors.

Lastly, I do not think that your actions at the Town Board defines you for now or forever. I think how you respond to it may define you for a little while. Honestly, it is obvious that you care about Oak Creek and if you learned to channel that in a positive way then you could do a lot of good.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 11 months ago

Seems to me that incident in a simple way defines how Oak Creek deals with businesses. Oak Creek is just so hostile to business owners and investors. You have a comprehensive plan that basically desires the same sort of downtown objectives as Hayden. But Hayden has zoning which allows use by right so a business can move into a commercial space without going through Planning and their downtown district recognizes the variety of uses so light commercial and multi-family housing is a use by right in downtown Hayden. If Hayden allowed mmj dispensaries then a grow operation in a free standing commercial building would appear to be an use by right.

But Oak Creek has this land use code that is so confusing that the planning board proposes requiring a noticed pre-application hearing to determine if the proposed use is no, minor or major so it can then consider the application in next month's planning meeting. You interpret the comprehensive plan so that it dictates no activity along Main St unless it is first floor retail. The people requesting using Dovetail as an gym feel compelled to open yet another coffee shop in Oak Creek so they can get the gym through the approval process. As if having people exercising downtown might be just what the existing restaurants in OC need instead of yet more competition further splitting up an already sparse customer base.

OC has this bufferyard requirement that allows nonconforming uses to block conforming uses so the senior housing blocks any commercial land use change at the ministorage.

This is not really about you on that meeting. It is more about everyone else that doesn't stop that from happening. It is more about the other planning board members at that meeting that sat there silently and never said you did not represent planning. It is more about Town Board members that at the end of this nearly 3 month process suggesting that maybe the Town should help find a suitable location. So waste 3 months and then decide to see if there might be a preferable location in town for the business?

So yes, don't expect me to ever bring anything before planning ever again. And that has nothing to do with you.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 11 months ago

And Jackie, Why say "You do absolutely nothing to make Oak Creek a better place except complain" to me?

If you honestly think that is true then it means the things that I do that I am pretty sure are positive are not wanted. Maybe many don't like my comments, but to say I do absolutely nothing means that the thousands of dollar worth of tent setups that I've donated to Taste of South Routt and Labor Day annually is not wanted. I didn't intend to be imposing those tents upon from upon high onto the people of Oak Creek. This year I didn't donate one to the Labor Day committee because leading members publicly expressed the similar concerns as you. Though, Sandy and Judy requested one for the kids area since they did appreciate having a tent so I set up the 30x30 for them.

I will go to my grave being proud of actions that was criticized by the Town Board. I allowed Big Dan to move into a tenant's apt to be dried out. I talked to other tenants and the people involved in the case. They were all fine with it. I made it clear to both the tenant and Dan that I would be the first to call to have his bail revoked if I saw either one of them drinking. Seeing someone go through that sort of alcohol withdraw still gives me the creeps. So then at a land use change for the preschool I get criticized from multiple board members for letting someone out on bail to live in one of my apts at the Curry. Damn right I did. Not one of those that mentioned that voted for the land use change. A great vote to have lost.

Oak Creek board meetings are just brutal to people. Things are regularly said in Town Board meetings that are never said in SB city council meetings. SB city council stops people when they start going off topic into personal issues. Oak Creek allows that and incorporates that info into the Town Board discussion.

I kept on topic and only discussed what you said and did in that meeting. But you feel the need to respond with a sweeping accusation. And it is those sort of broadside attacks that diminishes the relevance of any apology you might post around town.

cargo 3 years, 11 months ago

To Flotilla ( Jackie?) Scott really does do a lot for the Town. He has helped tremendously with everything he mentioned above, as well as a lot of amazing free work for benefits. Scott....don't let a few small minds stop you from helping the Town in all the ways you always have. LOVE YOU BRO.....

carolina manriquez 3 years, 11 months ago

I like the idea of an open forum to discuss IDEAS, not for it to become a place for personal attacks. Scott Wedel and Jackie Brown need to sit down and have a talk. I think most of us would agree that most local residents want the best for their towns and that we have to find means to work cooperatively, together, without the personal attacks. I know Jackie Brown and I know how committed and serious she is about improving Oak Creek. I know she is not the angry person some of you portray her to be. We are nothing but imperfect human beings. I don’t know Scott Wedel, but I am sure he is also a committed citizen. It just seems that you should join forces instead of fighting each other. It is a small town and a small community. Peace.

kathy foos 3 years, 11 months ago

Medical M.J. is legal,people operating within allowed laws should not be made to stand up to defend it at every point in the community to those that will never like it legal.Its like shouting out bitter comments about an election winner,when you favor another(the loser).Its not that your voice isn't important,its just that the democratic voice of voters is the only one that really matters.If you want to change a law,go that angle,don't expose and bother people ,making a living in this new industry,simply because you prefer it weren't legal.That is personal opinion,not law. Flotilla ,I know how the paper can miss constrew what you mean to say,I totally believe you and that you are a caring concerned citizen,good luck on that pool.I'll help if possible.Maybe a workout area also and paid for by all of south Routt,not just Oak Creek,P-burg is very good at figuring utilities at low cost(Ask the planners of P-burg for advice,maybe that is a good location).if it is Olympic size, the pool could rent time out to Steamboat High Swim Team, also for high school pool, so south Routt Youths could compete.Good Luck again!

bcpow 3 years, 11 months ago

I miss the good ole days of glue, chemicals and plastics seeping out of the wavesport factory.

freerider 3 years, 11 months ago

How about that coal burning smell on a cold winter morning you gotta love that

How about a nice coal burning plant in Oak Creek to drown out the MJ

Krista Monger 3 years, 11 months ago

Maybe Flotilla and Scott could be the first clients of Oak Creek's "life coach"?

Krista Monger 3 years, 11 months ago

maybe Flotilla and Scott could be the first clients of Oak Creek's "life coach"?

max huppert 3 years, 11 months ago

ha ha Scott needs a life coach,, he does get angry alot. maybe he needs a little something from Jacob to help keep him calm.

muck 3 years, 11 months ago

So Jackie when you smell the MMJ ONCE a week do you point your nose in the air? Is your nose pointed toward the SEWAGE POND in front of the Kayak factory? Do you point your nose up or down? Is your nasal cavity pointed North? South? East? West?

Or is it that the people of COLORADO have stated its ok to GROW, SMOKE, INGEST, and posses MMJ with a valid card.

Are you unhappy with the people of OAK CREEK? Are you unhappy with the people of COLORADO? Are you unhappy with the TOWN BOARD? Are you unhappy no one will share?

GET OVER IT! ALL YOU HATERS! LEGAL MED MMJ IS HERE TO STAY! IT WILL ONLY GET BIGGER AND BIGGER!

2.2% of Colorado state population either has a MED MMJ card or is in the process OVER 400,000 people!

Get use to the smell! MORE IS COMMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR MOVE TO UTAH!

muck 3 years, 11 months ago

Keep complaining and we will all remove our filters!!

upstream 3 years, 11 months ago

i find it very strange that Ms Brown has been smelling marijuana coming from a building that has housed NO- zip- zero- zilch marijuana plants for most of the past 2-3 months. Could it be an evil neighbor burning one in the backyard that you are smelling?

These guys seem super smart, organized, focused and intelligent and more than willing to talk to their neighbors who have chosen to build fancy homes and live in Oak Creek's industrial district.

JJ Southard 3 years, 11 months ago

Best comment section yet about MMJ. Good morning! LOL

exduffer 3 years, 11 months ago

Muck, I did not know there were 20,000,000 people in Colorado. No wonder why you are so edgy.

tcb 3 years, 11 months ago

hey, cargo, why are you on this thread? shouldn't you be staying busy trying to provide information to the Federal Courts? Oh yeah, and don't forget to bring your checkbook because $5,500 is a LOT of money. Did "Mr. Ice" work in the kayak factory, too?

muck 3 years, 11 months ago

exduff those numbers came directly from the CSDH. When people want to attempt to change my rights i WILL always be eddgy and PO'ed!

ANYONE that don't like MMJ has to GET OVER IT! COLORADO VOTERS approved MEDICAL MMJ in 2000. The PEOPLE have spoken! PEOPLE is the key word here!

NOW WAIT TILL 2012! HEE HEE NAY-SAYERS can't scream loud enough.

kathy foos 3 years, 11 months ago

I might have found the picture of Mr Ice!Go to mozilla ,images,type in mr. ice,sure enough there are several images,After review I believe the correct one might be on page 8 ,second row down ,the one pictured on the side of a semi.(an actual ice cube)

kathy foos 3 years, 11 months ago

I might have found a picture of Mr Ice! Go to mozilla ,images, ...type in Mr. Ice,sure enough there are several images,.....After review I believe the correct one might be on page 8 ,second row down ,Face plastered on the side of Semi's Trailers worldwide.

kathy foos 3 years, 11 months ago

Scott Wedel 3 years, 11 months ago

Muck, If the filters are removed then the grow facility will be in violation of the conditions of use and the Town has every right to stop you from using the building until the conditions are met.

Colorado citizens have a right to apply to become mmj patients. Local government does not have to allow dispensaries or grow facilities. MMj patients have a right to grow six plants in their house. If that causes the whole town to smell like mj then plant pine trees and other plants to mask the smell, or move.

I think applicants for a change of land use should have the right for a fair hearing even if it is for a mmj related purpose.

JusWondering 3 years, 11 months ago

Muck, I would love to see the source you have for 400,000 ill people in Colorado that have a justifiable medical need for MMJ. Your numbers just don't add up. The current state-wide population for Colorado is around 5 million. 2.2% of that is around 110,000 people. Your number reflects around 8% of the population. If you are going to quote a stat and attribute it to a government agency you should back it up.

To "THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN". Clearly the residents of Colorado are waking up to exactly what mmj means to them and on the whole they don't like it... lots of municpalities voted on that in the past election. The new message seems to be "sure you can have your right, but not in my backyard and I don't want to see it." There are too many "messy" things that come along with it that munis are waking up to the reality of.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 11 months ago

According to the Colorado State MMJ registery office, about 100,000 had signed up as of July and their statistics page says that is 2.2% of the population.

They had 75,000 mmj patients in March so if rate of applications stayed about the same then now there are about 125,000 mmj patients or about 2.5% of the population.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 11 months ago

As for the People Have Spoken - some counties and cities approved while more rejected it, but the results were pretty predictable. Known conservative regions rejected it while places like Eagle and Garfield (Aspen) accepted it.

Certainly not a clear wipe out for mmj and nothing in the results to suggest that there is a silent majority wanting to outlaw it. No reason to believe that the big cities that have already allowed it such as Denver would have rejected it.

It appears to have been rejected in places where local government had already declined to allow dispensaries and was accepted in places where local government had approved dispensaries.

freerider 3 years, 11 months ago

Muck , I love ya man ....love to see that passion , God's gift to mankind and the moron's on this planet don't get it ..

Greengenes Love you too bro ...keep up the good work !!!

Hate and fear mongering has got to stop in this world...

baaaaa baaaaa baaaaaaa

peace is best stop the brutal hate and fear

muck 3 years, 11 months ago

Scott! I am protected from ammendment 20. I have no agreement with the town. I am a private caregiver for 3 cancer patients. Colorado Amendment 20 never states that i have to FILTER my growing operation. AND a handfull of other growers located VERY close to YOUR buildings and the kayak factory are well aware of this article. WE ARE ANGRY AS H**L that such a petty attempt would be made to VIOLATE our rights.

Her whole objective is to CONTROL the situation of MMJ. WHEN THE PEPOLE OF COLORADO, ROUTT COUNTY, OAK CREEK HAVE SPOKEN!

All peacfull means will be deployed if as a part of the new OAK CREEK GROWERS ASSOCIATION to stop and rebut all the ridiculous attempts to stop what has been deemed as OUR RIGHTS!

I have spoken to 2 private growers located VERY closte to the kayak factory and the Brown's house and one of them stated if might be his/her operation.

As for the 400k MY BAD! I ziged when i should have ZIGZAGGED! :)

My point is that i personally know of 16 growers that have no ties to Jacob or the Kayak factory located within the 1000 yards of the Kayak factory. WE ARE FIGHTING BACK (peacfully) AND WILL NOT STAND FOR THE 100 OR SO THAT CANT STAND THAT WE HAVE A RIGHT, A VOICE, AND A LAW THAT SAYS WE CAN GROW MEDICAL MARIJUANA!

Bunch of D**N hypocrites!

muck 3 years, 11 months ago

As for the 400k MY BAD! I ziged when i should have ZIGZAGGED! :)

ZERO complaints about the despensary. Ask Lance (ocpd) if we have a problem in OAK CREEK. I have spoken to him and he stated if we follow the law, he DOES NOT HAVE A PROBLEM.

NO KIDS INVOLVED NO PROBLEMS NO DISTRIBUTION TO NON-CARD HOLDERS NO VIOLENCE NO COMMUNISM BREAKING OUT NO DEATHS OR OVERDOSE OF MMJ NO PUBLIC SMOKING NO HIGH RATE OF DUID IN OC (unless csp is around)

Just a handull of people that FEAR A PLANT and belive what they have been lied to in the past.

They fear responsible marijuana USERS and that is a JOKE!

ftpheide 3 years, 11 months ago

Jackie, Muck's comment explains why your area of Oak Creek smells like mmj. Sounds like that area should be zoned light industrial. Jacob should look for a "grow space" in this area.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 11 months ago

ftp, OC doesn't have zoning, it has land use. The warehouse is in a performance district which does encourage light industrial use. The warehouse used to be the kayak factory which used all sorts of epoxies and such so emitted noxious smells.

Jacob's first grow room is located in the residential district, but in a building with a history of retail use. How that could be approved but not the storage building is an example of the arbitrary nature of Oak Creek's land use process.

I think that will have been the last application for mmj grow operation in OC. There is too much money involved for someone to wait 3 months again to work an application through OC's land use process. Makes just so much more sense to rent commercial space in SB where zoning allows it without having to go through planning. Or if looking for cheap rent then try Yampa where there is zoning and the ability to get a quick answer.