Brent Boyer: Looking back and forward

Brent Boyer

Contact Editor Brent Boyer at 871-4221 or e-mail bboyer@SteamboatToday.com.

— Many of you probably noticed the two stories in the Steamboat Pilot & Today last week about the awards the newspaper won for some of its work during the past year. I’m always a bit hesitant to publish those stories, but I think the recognition from our peers is newsworthy, particularly when we’re bestowed with the honor of being named the best newspaper in our circulation class.

I also understand some readers’ natural inclination to use the awards stories as an opportunity to point out the things we haven’t done well, or in some cases simply haven’t done at all. I always welcome such criticism because I think it’s healthy and sometimes deserved.

The annual awards contests sponsored by the Colorado Press Association and Colorado Associated Press Editors and Reporters provide an opportunity for Pilot & Today reporters, photographers, designers and advertising representatives to have their work evaluated and recognized by other professionals in the field. And spending the weekend in Denver mingling with our peers from newspapers big and small across the state provides a great platform for sharing ideas that will improve our publications.

Awards give kudos for past accomplishments. But as a news organization, it’s important that we look to the future, which can be a challenge when we’re often so consumed by what’s happening in our community today. Nevertheless, some of our best work has been the result of advance planning — our annual, multipart summer series is a prime example.

In past years, we’ve dedicated significant time, energy and resources to examining topics of significant importance to our community. Recent examples include our look at the future of the Yampa River, the West’s role in energy development, the mountain pine beetle epidemic and the rise and fall of the local real estate economy.

The official start to spring is just a couple of weeks away, which means summer also is right around the corner. In the newsroom, brainstorming has begun on what topic we might explore in-depth this summer. I imagine many of you have ideas to share, and I encourage you to e-mail or call me to do just that. If there’s a subject that simply deserves our attention, let me hear about it. After all, today provides a new opportunity for success tomorrow.

To contact Brent Boyer, call 970-871-4221 or e-mail bboyer@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

seeuski 4 years, 1 month ago

How about a balance on the op-ed page? Stop running 2 opinion pieces from one side like Krugman and a fellow associate from the NYT in the same paper. A conservative opinion next to a liberal opinion would be much appreciated, I do thank you for the once a month or so piece from Ann Coulter. Otherwise, congratulations on a good job to you and the staff.

Fred Duckels 4 years, 1 month ago

I Don't know anything about the newspaper business, but it looks like a lot of hard work to me. I don't always agree but I think we have a good product overall, good job.

Cooke 4 years, 1 month ago

Seeuski -- how about no opinions and no opinion page and the Pilot runs more news, therfore allowing people to better understand the issues of the day and form there own opinion. I have never understood why anyone would listen to talking head political pundits who are payed to inflame te public and foster anger towards those of differing political views. Fix politics - kick Krugman, Coulter, Rush, and Hannity out!

Steve Lewis 4 years, 1 month ago

Of course there are things this publisher should do better. I appreciate the 90% of the paper that covers local interest stories. This paper does a good job there.

But when it comes to how we grow - annexation, new development, City codes, election coverage... the Pilot fails this community. The Pilot reporting usually favors development. In such cases the interests of the community are typically left to be represented by one individual's quoted opinion.

You would never know from reading the Pilot that the interests of the community are very well laid out in the Steamboat Springs Community Area Plan. Adopted by both County and City representatives, this plan is the guide we intended for our growing decisions.

Perhaps this publisher can point to cases where her paper has judged a City Council or County Commission decision in the light of that Area Plan. I know of none, nor of any instance where this publisher of her own accord has even quoted the Area Plan. It's like I said, the adopted vision of this community is represented instead by a concerned citizen or two.

My advice to the Pilot publisher: Our community put huge effort into the Area Plan. Reference it accordingly when you report decisions on development.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 1 month ago

I think the one area that the paper is weak is how the articles are so dependent upon quoting a few people and what is missing the the possibility that the reporter might have common sense and raise doubts about what is being claimed. There are times that it is obvious that a statement is ridiculous, but because of the nature of the situation there is no one that wants to be quoted that it is so ridiculous.

A classic of that genre was when a partner in 360 said that Wilton was just preserving cash and the foreclosures didn't affect 360. Bankers and other realtors openly laughed at that comment. Probably could get comment now because the foreclosures have happened.

The story of Wilton Dev Corp that came here during the boom, bought a lot and now is whatever it is, is a story that seems to me as being what was common here during the boom, but just on a far grander scale. To me it is an obvious in depth story of what happened. I think it is the type of story in which just the facts would be interesting enough. I hear that he is a good guy and it is not a story to slam a guy, but probably more of how the boom attracted people that got greedy and got hurt and then where are they now?

Fred Duckels 4 years, 1 month ago

Steve, I disagree, I think the Pilot runs up the middle on issues, that you would prefer having slanted to your viewpoint. Your comments indicate to me that you are the only qualified arbiter on the future of the valley. Those who disagree automatically come under attack.

Guinevere 4 years, 1 month ago

Unfortunately, despite some good articles, the Pilot has done a lot of harm over the last few years. One of the awards they just won was called the "Service to the First" Award, which they got by relentlessly suing the school district, appealing until they got the right judge. When he accepted the award, he could have said,

"We couldn't have proved this piddly point by ourselves. I'd like to thank all the "little" people who helped us get here. It was the students of Steamboat Springs and the $90,000 that we took out of their schools to pay legal fees that made it happen. But it was so well worth it!"

$90,000! We could use that now.

seeuski 4 years, 1 month ago

Cooke, I truly feel sorry for, or maybe better yet, I am fearful of people who form their opinions or base their understandings of current events on other peoples opinions. I am against the controlling of ideas from pundits because then we will have control over what is news and have the slanted version as gospel. Everyone knows that the MSM media is biased towards the left, don't you? There are a multitude of online media sources that provide the news and the stories that are not covered by the MSM, so do you really want to eliminate opinion pieces or opposition points of view? I know of a country in the southern hemisphere where that is happening, namely Venezuela. No, I just want things fair and balanced and let each of us choose to read or believe as we see fit. I'll keep my freedom to choose thank you. And again, I do appreciate the Pilot for once in a while including Coulter, but Cooke, I have never seen Hannity or Limbaugh in the Pilot or for that matter Michelle Malkin. Hey Brent, lets get some pieces from those conservatives to balance out the Krugmans and Friedmans.

Cooke 4 years, 1 month ago

Yeah seeuski, you sure got me pegged...please. Venezuela? Get a grip on your idealism. I was not calling on restrictions to the first amendment, I was simply saying that since a majority of Americans are uninformed of what is going on in their own counrty, and a majority of people who claim to be informed get all their information from pundits who are paid to rile things up (think Coulter works for a sense of duty, think Obama and Palin didn't want paychecks for their books) that maybe a NEWSpaper should focus more on news. The Pilot does a terrible job of covering news outside the valley. Yes, I am very aware that "MSM" holds slants, but do you really tink that Coulter doesn't. Thanks, but I would rather look for truth rather than bitter partisan-driven talking head creating a nation of misinformed zealots. Hey Brent, lets get some news to balance out all the opinion.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 1 month ago

Guinevere, The paper won the case and the appeals judges smacked down the School Board. So you should be far more upset at the School Board for improperly going into executive session and then fighting it in the courts. Sure having the money would be great, but it was the school district that fought the lawsuit instead of initially releasing the material. And the material had nothing to do with intimate personnel issues so it could have been released early on and caused no harm. Proof of that is what was the harm to staff and such when it was ordered released by the Court?

Sees, Krugman and Friedman are not left wing bomb throwers like Malkin and Limbaugh are right wing bomb throwers. If you want Malkin and Russ then the "balancing" left wing would be columns from Daily Kos or MoveOn.org. It'd only be preaching to the faithful.

seeuski 4 years, 1 month ago

Scott, while I respect your opinion I see it from my perspective like you from yours and similarly as to how Cooke thinks controlling the message is the answer to educating the public after all,"I was simply saying that since a majority of Americans are uninformed of what is going on in their own counrty, and a majority of people who claim to be informed get all their information from pundits who are paid to rile things up (think Coulter works for a sense of duty, think Obama and Palin didn't want paychecks for their books) that maybe a NEWSpaper should focus more on news." Here you have a guy saying that we get all of our information from the bugeymen, ooooh! I think that a percentage of Americans don't know squat but they are not the ones listening to the pundits or looking across the internet, they are the ones watching the MSM at 6pm or Olberman at what?8 and 10pm. And Cooke me Idealist? Really? And as far as paychecks, do you earn? What's the problem with Palin writing a book?

kathy foos 4 years, 1 month ago

Cooke,I think that it is wrong to assume that the majority of Americans are uninformed in our country.In the past that was more true ,but with the news as is is now and internet avaiability,you are wrong to say that people are uninformed.Maybe not everyone is as smart as ann coulter(yeah I do like her)but if you come down off your high horse and talk politics with the people around your neighborhood,you will find out.They just dont know what to do about it.Take for instance the democratic turnover last election,the tea party movement,obviously people are going to move in a direction to fix this mess,the more opinions the better,we just need more listeners willing to change their ways.

sledneck 4 years, 1 month ago

I don't know about Cooke but I do not ASSUME the majority of Americans are ignorant and un-informed. Years of experience and consideration have PROVEN it to me beyond the shadow of any doubt.

Cooke 4 years, 1 month ago

See -- get off your high "I'm a freedom-loving american and you are just a socialist/communist/facist" horse. I never said a word about controlling the message. What I said was that newspapers should concentrate on news so that the average uniformed American doesn't pick up the Pilot and take everything the Coulter and Krugman say as the gospel -- and if you don't think that is largely the case, you have your head in the sand.

And Sun, I couldn't begin to describe to you how often I discuss politics, but please understand that it is WAY more than the average American. I don't think I am misguided in saying that most Americans are uninformed in matters of politics and government (I should have clarified that earlier). Would you not agree that most people have developed their opinions on healthcare reform based on the soundbites from the pundits, both left and right? Would you agree that most people base their opinions on "recovery efforts", banking bailouts, auto bailouts, etc based on what they hear on MSNBC, CNN, and Fox (all leaning left or right). Do you honestly believe that most Americans look for all sides of the issue, research topics on the internet, search out unbaised agencies? I may be jaded, but I just don't believe that is the case.

As far as the democratic turnover, don't you think you can explain that with an American public that demands a quick fix? Look at the elections that gave the democrats such huge majorities. Weren't they merely a reaction to the failing economy and two wars? Didn't the nation just turn to the democrats two years ago to fix it? If the Republicans take control of Congress, aren't we just going to vote them out again in a few years when they haven't fixed the problem yet (even knowing that it can't be a quick fix)?

My point, before Seeuski rocketed to high-horsiness, was that we as a society should not give these people the power that we do; it's glorified yellow journalism. We as a society should demand fair-and-balanced, that our newspapers and news outlets should live up to their missions. How do Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, Keith Oberman, and the like help to actually educate the public? How do these types help to advance a debate?

seeuski 4 years, 1 month ago

Wow Cooke, my suggestion to you is to stop looking to a local small town paper as your source for the world news. The Pilot, as does many similar small town papers, focuses on local events and when they do put a national story in it is a print copy of an AP story. Also, much of what you might consider as news reporting these days by the MSM has become opinion pieces. And sorry you think I ride high horses, I wouldn't do such a thing as that could cause an accident and get me an RUI (riding while intoxicated). Now I'll finish my coffee and check in with the Chavez News Network.

MrTaiChi 4 years, 1 month ago

Interesting comments.

Let's remember that the founding fathers didn't have a lot of faith in the electorate to make informed opinions. That's why the Senate was created to balance the passions of the electorate manifested in the House of Representatives. Until changed by constitutional amendment, the Senators were elected by the state legislatures too.

The press generally has low regard for the intelligence and insight of the average American. This is not a recent development. The greatest commentator and polemicist of his age, H.L. Menken in the Baltimore Sun described the mass of Americans as the "booboisie." The more he heaped ridicule on them the more they loved him.

There is a strain of elitism in our politics as there has always been. We can't be, like ancient Athens, a direct democracy. We couldn't fit (how many is it now?) 350 million of us in one building or public place to vote on the Health Care Reform Bill. Our representatives are supposed to discern what is in our self interest, trumped only by what is in their self interest. Generally, over time, as Americans, we get it mostly right. In this era, however, it appears that those left of center are more chargeable with snarky self confidence that they have discerned the zeitgeist of the volk and know better than we do, what we really want and need. This visceral worry is why in reaction the Tea Party movement and others hold up signs warning about fascism and show Obama with a swastika armband, something I find offensive, but Cnstitutionally protected speech.

Those of you who confidently dismiss your countrymen as the booboisie have been here before and have been proven to be wrong before.

John Fielding 4 years, 1 month ago

Would it be a fair assessment to decide you can best serve your constituency by voting against something that they really want and need, and you really do support, if you know it will pass anyway, but that doing so will help your reelection over someone who would consistently oppose those same issues?

housepoor 4 years, 1 month ago

Well said Cooke. Anyone one who watches msnbc or fox news and thinks they are getting “fair and balanced” news are just lying to themselves. These channels are targeting a partisan audience and telling them what they want to hear and ratings were never better. We no longer get our news from anchors but personalities that to a particular bias. It unfortunate that this phenomenon is creeping into local news print.

MrTaiChi 4 years, 1 month ago

Is it possible that the current ideological polarization of the main stream media mirrors the phenomenon of our modern culture that everything has become advocacy. In so many ways we are not valuing truth seeking, but instead rewarding the strongest argument, grounding our institutional behaviors in the justification that it is the duty of those with opposing positions to argue and prevail on them. Fewer and fewer seem embarrassed to advocate a position without weighing that against a moral construct or considering all the consequences of that position prevailing.

Until this decade, honest observers would concede that the media had a universal liberal slant. It was only the advent of FOX as a challenge to this philosophical monopoly that started hand wringing about incorrect thinking. Well, it has gotten out of hand. They all seem like advocates.

Regardless, our theory of government is based on the belief that the public will judge the charlatan and reject him in time. Some would view the rise of conservative media and the failure of Air America and MSNBC's Olbermann as this process evolving, others view it as pandering to the passions and worst instincts of the masses. Their world view is threatened. When Obama was elected there were voices on the right warning that there would be 'progressive', ('liberal' has apparently become old-speak) calls for censorship of conservative media, first with some sort of media "equal time rule" revival. Ridiculous. Not in America with its robust tradition of media elbow throwing! But, the above remarks indicate that there is a constituency to correct the imbalances of the media through governmental coercion. Thank God for the First and Fourteenth Amendments.

If you want to punish the philosophical advocacy of a media outlet, don't buy the products that are peddled there. Don't buy the paper. Or, start your own damn paper. Our democracy has survived worse, like the treasonous disclosure of state secrets like the Glomar Explorer incident for which the New York Times patted itself on the back. If the media can jeopardize national security without guilt for the consequences, the country can survive a little rough and tumble in the modern press.

MrTaiChi 4 years, 1 month ago

MrTaiChi 4 years, 1 month ago

Sorry about the double post. I got an MSN promp that indicated that the page could not be displayed, prompting me to try to post it again. Turns out that both efforts were successful. I suggested removal of the second to the editor, who, I hope doesn't spend too much time looking for dirty words or hate speech, but figures out the mistake.

bandmama 4 years, 1 month ago

Hmm....how about if the Pilot starts charging some money for the publication Monday thru Saturday? Hmmmm free publication that won an award or two....hmmmmm If you are looking for something along the lines of The New York Times....well, go buy the Times. If you want real world wide news, Watch the Daily Show or the Colbert Report. Rachel rocks as well. But if you watch those shows, I guess you have to be willing to expand your mind and learn something. If any of you are feeling that this paper only reports one side of something, speak up! Write a letter, ask Brent to publish it, Submit something of substance instead of ragging on the FREE, small town, obviously attention getting paper.....geez..... JUST my opinion.....

John Fielding 4 years, 1 month ago

Mr. Tai Chi,

Thank you for your thoughtful and well informed comments. I will add this note if you please; polarization and advocacy is not so much a new phenomena as that we now have media saturation. You obviously know enough about the nature of the press in the 19th century to recognize the same old thing in a shiny new package, and now given away free too!

Scott Wedel 4 years, 1 month ago

Brent Boyer: The most recent Ann Coulter column is a real shame to have been printed in your paper. She can make eloquent arguments for conservative views. But that column on the Brooklyn DA and the ACORN video is Ann Coulter at her worst. It is an example of her being an agent provocateur ignoring the truth to attack her ideological enemies.

What was wrong with her column? The Brooklyn DA did not prosecute ACORN. A source in the DA office said that the videos were edited to fit an agenda. The "journalist" hero of the right wing has refused to release unedited video to disprove that claim. And then Ann Coulter writes a column saying the videos show crimes??? No, that is what is in the EDITED VIDEOS! The whole column is based upon a lie and yet it is printed.

So Jeff Kibler you think that unemployment benefits discourage people from finding work? And so we should stop paying unemployment benefits to people that lost their jobs and cannot find work when the national unemployment rate is more than 10%? That's the basis of your cited articles.

Jeff Kibler 4 years, 1 month ago

Scott Wedel: Senator Kyl and I agree with Paul Krugman. Citing Krugman's textbook “Macroeconomics, "

"Public policy designed to help workers who lose their jobs can lead to structural unemployment as an unintended side effect. . . . In other countries, particularly in Europe, benefits are more generous and last longer. The drawback to this generosity is that it reduces a worker's incentive to quickly find a new job. Generous unemployment benefits in some European countries are widely believed to be one of the main causes of "Eurosclerosis," the persistent high unemployment that affects a number of European countries."

The basis of the articles is that Krugman is contradicting himself.

seeuski 4 years, 1 month ago

ACORN is what the video shows it is so sorry to Scott Wedel. Some 14 states have prosecuted this scam organization for voter fraud and in some of the cases ACORN conceded to the charges. How about the Attorney Generals office dropping the charges against the New Black Panthers that stood outside of the Philadelphia polling location with clubs. Not much difference in the two cases as I see it when it comes to who gets justice, but the white Massachusetts cops did "act stupidly" as Obama stated when they arrested the Black Professor on charges of disorderly conduct. The poor white Cop was forced to endure the punishment of a photo op with the POTUS drinking beer. Can one get a hangover before drinking? Ann Coulter gets under the lefts skin for good reason, she has the facts and the truth hurts.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 1 month ago

Jeff, There is a fundamental difference between providing generous unemployment benefits that are comparable to the income the person could earn in a job vs extending unemployment benefits WHEN THE NATIONAL UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IS MORE THAN 10%!!! Do you really think that the unemployed are turning down jobs in order to keep receiving their unemployment benefits?

The ACORN video does not show what happened because IT WAS EDITED! If you think edited video shows what really happened then Colbert and Hannity should be arrested as well. Colbert Show had shocking video of Colbert as pimp and Hannity as eager prostitute.

seeuski 4 years, 1 month ago

You are defending a corrupt organization, enjoy doing it.

trump_suit 4 years, 1 month ago

Not defending ACORN, but the truth. You see, edited video can be made to show almost anything except the actual truth. I repeat, just like your birther conspiracy this ACORN problem is a tempest in a teapot that is beeing used as a scary talking point by the right. The actual truth is there somewhere but remains well hidden by the agenda of those editing the videos.

seeuski 4 years, 1 month ago

I repeat for the tone deaf.... Some 14 states have prosecuted this scam organization for voter fraud and in some of the cases ACORN conceded to the charges. So go on and defend the proven guilty. Oh, and in Nevada where ACORN plead guilty, the charges were brought by an AG who happens to be a DEMOCRAT!!! Conspiracy theory smashed.

trump_suit 4 years, 1 month ago

SO tell us see. Just how big is ACORN? What is that annual budget? Less than or greater than 10 Million? Less or more than 100 Million. Cme on see, what is it?

There is simply not enough money there to affect much of anything. Just becuase there are bad apples does not mean that our entire American Society is at risk from the one organization. the entire thing could be bad to the core with the absolute worst intentions but the money simply is not there now is it?

What about that Birther conspiracy thing? Is that still a hot topic for you? Just because FOX news and Glenn Beck make a big deal about some issues does not heretofore make them big issues.

ACORN is a tempest in a teapot created by FOX news to drum up right wing support. There simply is nothing of real importance there regardless of your constant assertions. Just like your Birther conspiracy, it will die a slow inglorious death.

trump_suit 4 years, 1 month ago

jimmmmmm 4 years, 1 month ago

Seeuski-After all this time, you still can't get it right.

Repeat after me.....Voter Registration Fraud, Voter Registration Fraud. Sounds a little different than Voter Fraud, but not nearly as bad. Can you tell the difference?

seeuski 4 years, 1 month ago

Headlines for the blind:

ACORN Registration Workers Charged With Felony Voter Fraud http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/08/acorn-registration-workers-charged-felony-voter-fraud/

Oh no, not another scandal trumped up by the right wing birthers!!! The near future will bring some fairly disturbing answers for you Obama lovers. Stop frothing at the mouth guys, we just want to save the republic from the progressives.

trump_suit 4 years, 1 month ago

See, read your own link very closely and then refer to jmmmmm's post again.

jimmmmmm 4 years, 1 month ago

Seeuski-Hoping you might actually read the links that you post. But like a lot of things with you and ClusterFox, the truth is beside the point.

From your link....."Miles and Clancy worked for the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now and are accused of submitting multiple voter registration applications for the same individuals, including each other, to meet voter registration quotes imposed by the community organizing group."

Thought we got you all squared away a few months ago on this topic. Typical recycled bs.

seeuski 4 years, 1 month ago

I see no point to the argument you two are making. ACORN is constantly involved with devious left wing activities that are the backbone of power for the Democrats. SOOO sorry that this keeps happening to your hero's.