Oak Creek Town Board OKs kitchen at marijuana dispensary

Business plans to create foods with pot added

— Jacob Wise expects to have a medical marijuana kitchen open within a few months after the Oak Creek Town Board gave the final OK on Thursday night.

Wise, who owns a medical marijuana dispensary in Oak Creek, wants to create a medical marijuana kitchen on Nancy Crawford Boulevard as he switches the focus of his business from smokable marijuana to tinctures — liquids with the active ingredients of marijuana.

Wise will have to pay about $3,000 in fees as he opens the wholesale business, including a special fee of $750 for medical marijuana businesses.

“They said everything would be fine as long as I met state requirements and health codes and fire codes and everything like that,” Wise said Friday.

The Oak Creek Planning Com­­mission gave Wise preliminary approval, but it was up to the Town Board to make sure all the necessary plans and permits were in place.

Oak Creek Mayor Nikki Knoe­­bel said Wise came before the board with all the required material, including security plans, parking and snow storage space.

Wise said the business will be wholesale to other dispensaries, and he will do retail only out of his existing dispensary. Because of that, there is no additional tax in Oak Creek on the business.

Final payment approved

The Town Board also approved final payment for sewer construction work to K.R. Swerd­feger Construction after the board earlier withheld payment.

After the company replaced a sewer main in town, as many as 10 houses were not reconnected to the main line. The town repaired those, and Knoebel said the construction company has reimbursed the town for that work.

She said that after a discussion with representatives of the company, the company said it will come back and do warranty work on any other lines, but the town could not withhold payment for that. Town Board members agreed.

Comments

mmjPatient22 4 years, 5 months ago

Congratulations Mr. Wise! Have a rough grand opening date yet?

So now the question is, when does Steamboat get a canna-kitchen?

nodui 4 years, 5 months ago

Great... one more reason for all these so called "medical patience" to get their fix....What a joke this country has become, not to mention society in general.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 5 months ago

Well, at least most of these "patients"("patience" being a character trait, rather than a medical classification) can spell.

You rag on it like it's a bad thing, but in all reality, edibles are among the safest ways to consume cannabis. It's a heck of a lot healthier than using cannabis in the traditional manner; by smoking it. And who are you to judge anyway?

If you're so fed-up with the way things are currently, why not do something to affect change in the ways you see fit?

nodui 4 years, 5 months ago

I would have kept it illegal. Next you people will want new laws making it legal for you to drive a motor vehicle while all strung out. You people will make every excuse to justify being strung out.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 5 months ago

Well, luckily for those of us that live in states that have medical marijuana legislation, you are not a part of the majority. And even luckier for us, a majority of people aren't as naive and ignorant about cannabis as you appear to be.

I wasn't asking you what you would have done, if you were in charge of making/changing the laws. What I was getting at was, why, if you're so unhappy about things being the way they are, why don't you get out there and do something about it? Is getting on here and giving me a ration of $#!+ your way of trying to change things? If so, you've got a long row to hoe ahead of you. Secondly, is the 'war on drugs' really your idea of the way things ought to be? Do you even have a real-world concept of how incredibly wasteful and costly it really is? Or are you just another one of the countless sheeple that have bought into the lies that your government has fed to you?

I'm curious, what are your primary fears/concerns about cannabis users and what do you believe are the biggest risks that they present to society today?

(by the way, impeccable spelling in your last comment)

Scott Wedel 4 years, 5 months ago

I have nowhere seen any elected official or any credible mmj organization suggest that it should be legal to drive while high. If that is your fear then I think you can sleep knowing that is not going to happen.

trump_suit 4 years, 5 months ago

Funny thing is that studies done in England have proven that:

A. The worst marajuana intoxication leaves an individual less impaired than the legal .08 allowed for alchohol consumption. In other words, it is literally impossible to get so high on Marajuana that you are more dangerous than a legal dose of beer.

B. Texting and Driving is considered more dangerous than the legally allowed .08 for alchohol. Should we make cell phones illegal? Should we require them to turn off or become unusable at speeds over 15 mph?

Don't have the exact studies and articles for you, google them if you want to discuss.

nodui 4 years, 5 months ago

I just dont like the whole idea. One thing will lead to another. Its too late for change so those of us that dont condone the idea will deal with it i guess.

John Fielding 4 years, 5 months ago

I think nearly everyone who is familiar with the effects of marijuana will agree that generally there is some degree of impairment of motor skills and judgment abilities.

The law restricting driving while ability impaired can be applied to almost everything from taking allergy medications to wearing ski boots.

It will be difficult to having driving while under the influence of marijuana decriminalized.

oldskoolstmbt 4 years, 5 months ago

nodui~ this planet is huge...you should move....

oldskoolstmbt 4 years, 5 months ago

john~ exactly! ....and let's not forget the mentally unstable, road rage and the percocet fans....if i had my pick of who to come head on with, i would probably go with the stoner who is driving too slow:)

nodui 4 years, 5 months ago

I lived in steamboat for 39 years when it was a great town. Let me ask you, is your condition so bad that it riquires you to use cannabis or can advil help you. If your child was hit and killed by someone under the influence of weed, how would that set with you? Its as bad a liquor in my opinion. Iam not saying its all bad, but its an excuse for alot of people to start and make an excuse to be able to start smoking other things. But no arguing with you all.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 5 months ago

I personally know people that use mmj to reduce their narcotics dosage. They have serious pain issues and mmj allows them on many days to not need narcotics. That is a real big deal because it also allows them to not become addicted to narcotics and to avoid the issue of diminishing effectiveness of narcotics. It is obviously a different sort of pain relief, but it works for them.

And so what if some, or even many, embellish health issues to get mmj instead of buying it illegally? Did they become potheads because mmj is legal and would they become clean if they had to buy it illegally? These people are using it because they want to use it and will use it if it is mmj or acquired illegally. Personally, I greatly prefer that they get it via mmj because then the growers and sellers are legal, paying taxes and so on. Illegal street MJ is a major revenue source for gangs and smugglers so whatever money can be diverted away from that the better.

Driving while high is not some public safety nightmare. It is illegal so the person willing to consider doing it is making the same irresponsible decision as a drunk or someone on prescription drugs. But I've seen some people play sports well while high. so at least for some, it does not have much of an impact on motor skills. Thus, a driver that is high is probably less likely to be such an obvious hazard as a drunk or someone on prescription meds. So the actual driver impairment is probably less than for alcohol, but the punishment is the same. Thus, it is not some great threat to the public safety.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 5 months ago

Part of my condition causes me chronic pain. And believe me when I say chronic. Even if Advil did do anything for me, why on earth would I want to take that many pills? I take a homeopathic stance on most medical issues and would never, in a million years, pump that much Advil through my kidneys and liver. Secondly, Advil doesn't do a whole heck of a lot for my asthma. Sure, I could go back on asthma inhalers that just cover up the symptoms. But why would I abandon the only choice in medicine for me that's not only natural, but also the only choice that stops the chronic pain, while simultaneously acting as the anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer that combats my respiratory issues? Why would I ever give that up? I'll be honest with you, there's not a law out there, or even one that could be made, that would make me reconsider my choice in medicine, ever. Besides, do you watch ANY TV? I'm sure you've heard the laundry lists of joyous side-effects that you can look froward to if you choose their medicine. Why would I want any part of that? As to your argument about the DUI issue, I guarantee you that countless children would still be alive today if the monies wasted on the prohibition of cannabis were more resourcefully put to use. Don't you think that a few extra tens of billions of dollars a year in police man-hours would be enough to step up DUI enforcement to the point where we'd make DUI fatalities a thing of the past? And I hope that you don't possess the audacity to assume that I haven't lost loved ones to a drunk driver. I am a vehement opponent of drunk driving and have been for as long as I've been old enough to understand what it was. See, where you get off on the wrong foot is exactly where you assume that I'm just some dumb, punk-a$$, drugged out, uneducated loser. I would think by now that it'd be painfully obvious that I'm not some incapacitated, incompetent, and/or ignorant burden on society.

Maybe there's just no room in your brain for an attempt at trying to understand our side of the argument? Maybe you've completely eliminated the option of one of us being right, before we've even got out of the gate? Maybe you've seen "Reefer Madness" one too many times? Whatever the case may be, you've still got no right to pass judgment on my personal medical choices.