Routt County officials discuss a temporary moratorium on new medical marijuana businesses Tuesday in the Commissioners Hearing Room. No members of the public showed up to speak at the meeting.

Photo by Matt Stensland

Routt County approves medical marijuana dispensary moratorium

Commissioners' vote was unanimous

— No members of the public showed up to speak Tuesday afternoon as the Routt County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a moratorium on medical marijuana facilities in rural parts of the county.

The moratorium means the county won’t accept any more applications for permits or licenses to open a business “that cultivates, processes or dispenses medical marijuana.”

Commissioners waited an extra five minutes to start the meeting to allow any potential speakers to get through traffic.

The moratorium will remain in place at least until the end of the year to allow commissioners time to consider their options for how to regulate, or not regulate, medical marijuana businesses in rural parts of the county.

The moratorium came a day after Gov. Bill Ritter approved a law that allows local governments to regulate and ban medical marijuana dispensaries. The moratorium does not use the authority of that law, relying instead on the land use code of the county.

The county until now has not differentiated between businesses when looking at permit applications — a medical marijuana dispensary was treated the same as a general store — but Routt County Planning Department Director Chad Phillips said the staff would like to have more direction. The commissioners will have time to decide that direction during the moratorium period.

“I am assuming that if we pass this regulation today, then staff will work to review this state legislation and create some kind of list for us of the options we will have,” Commissioner Nancy Stahoviak said.

Marijuana growing in areas where agriculture is allowed is not banned by the moratorium because those growers do not need any land-use permits. Routt County Attorney John Merrill stressed that the county land-use codes do not supersede federal law, and those growers could run into problems if they operate illegally.

Milner dispensary allowed

The law will not affect the land-use permit for Aloha’s, the only dispensary to submit an application to the county.

The Routt Coun­­ty Planning Com­­mission in May approved the land-use application by Chris Ward to open the business in Mil­ner, contingent on a list of requirements.

Ward said Tues­­­day that he missed the meeting with commissioners be­cause of heavy traffic.

Ward said he is working to open his business in the county because the rules in Steamboat Springs pushed him out of town, and he doesn’t like the idea of the county using the same tactic.

“It’s just weird that nobody else can open up in the county anywhere else,” he said. “You know what I mean? There’s a lot of county here.”

Ward has been working on the readying building, in a commercially zoned area of county control along U.S. Highway 40 in Milner, since January.

He said the moratorium could help his business because he will have a monopoly in the western part of the county, but he would like to see more opportunities for business owners.

The Hayden Town Council denied a request to allow a dispensary in May.

Aloha’s will go up for a final inspection in about a week and a half, he said, and he hopes to open the dispensary a few days after that.

“I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, you know what I mean?” he said.

Comments

mmjPatient22 3 years, 10 months ago

How benevolent of them to give an extra 5 minutes of their time to allow for any possible attendees that might have been stuck in downtown traffic!

And boy, oh boy, wouldn't want to hold that meeting during a time that most people AREN'T working, would we?

AND top notch(and rather speedy) reporting done by the Pilot. Did the Commissioners wait a whole 'nother 5 minutes to make the phone call to the Pilot?

mmjPatient22 3 years, 10 months ago

Is that an honest question? I am a medical marijuana cardholder after all.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 10 months ago

While the law might be changing enough to say that right now there should be a moratorium, I am disappointed that it extends to Jan 1. Seems to me that the situation should be pretty clear in no more than a couple of months and other counties and cities that respond quicker will get the mmj jobs and not us.

max huppert 3 years, 10 months ago

Scott what kind of work do you want to do for MMJ, is there a job you planned for?

Scott Wedel 3 years, 10 months ago

The potential mmj jobs are not for me personally. But there will be growers and processors and the whole mmj industry fits well with the recreational lifestyle.

There will be winners in the mmj business and this area is working to be among the losers. We will have our shops and so those that are offended by mmj will go to Utah for skiing, But will our area be growing and processing for others or will we be importing from Boulder, Eagle and so on?

Scott Wedel 3 years, 10 months ago

Richard Levy 3 years, 10 months ago

It's hard to understand how this moratorium serves the 65% of Routt County citizens who voted to approve Medical Marijuana

Duke_bets 3 years, 10 months ago

Scott - I thought the mmj industry was specifically for medical purposes and not for recreational use.

Mike Coziahr 3 years, 10 months ago

Just a couple of questions.... Just how many "medical marijuana" businesses does the county need anyway? And please tell me what the "whole mmj industry" has to do with a "recreational lifestyle"? Could it be that the whole "medical marijuana" argument is just a (not so) clever way to justify recreational use? If so, I don't really care. I just think people should start telling the truth and admit that the vast majority of people who smoke weed and demand access to "medical marijuana", have no legitimate need and simply want to get high. You know what I mean?

Duke_bets 3 years, 10 months ago

Mike - That's right. The same as the vast majority of mmj prescriptions are written by a couple of doctors. In Denver, many pot shops were opened up across the street from the college campuses. Convenient location or convenient clientele?

Scott Wedel 3 years, 10 months ago

Welcome to the real world.

But yes, there are people that enjoy skiing and so on that have medical issues that qualify them for mmj.

So this area that claims to be so interested in tourism is deciding to let Breck and Aspen be the leaders by discouraging capable locals.

I do not claim to know how many this area needs or will support. Normally we let the free market make that sort of determination.

I rather doubt the "vast majority" of mmj users is purely recreational and getting high. I think a whole lot of mmj users use it as a nicer painkiller than pills or alcohol.

max huppert 3 years, 10 months ago

Scott the more you post about topics the more I understand you have no real understanding about most topics and do alittle online research and think your the all knowing. Your just silly..

Duke_bets 3 years, 10 months ago

Scott - So, the tourists that have mmj cards buy their dope in Steamboat while traveling? I'm certain the tourists with mmj cards have their own dealer (pot shop) because owning the rights to a specific card is a bonus in that particular grow operation.

Are you claiming that tourists are potheads? Are you claiming that Breckenridge and Aspen are leading Steamboat in tourism dollars because of more readily available marijauna?

If that's the case, you might want to update your research tools.

This has nothing to do with the free market or tourists. maxinc has a very good point.

trump_suit 3 years, 10 months ago

Regardless of your opinion about mmj, there really is no arguing that it has created thousands of jobs in Denver and dozens in routt county already. Placing a moratorium on that job growth seems harsh given the current economic climate.

There can be no doubt that mmj is largely a thin veil for recreational use. Why have the hypocrysis? It is time to just legalize the stuff already. You kids see more of it and know more about it than you do. the current system is not protecting them from anything and most high school students will tell you that it is easier to get marajuana than alchohol....

Scott Wedel 3 years, 10 months ago

I have personal observations to note that most of the people I know over 40 that are using mmj are not so interested in getting high as much as getting buzzed to get rid of aches, pains and to sleep well. A few have real medical issues and are using it to make life bearable, but most that I know are using it instead of a couple of drinks or pills.

Young people are definitely looking for highs.

I believe a mmj patient is allowed to visit different dispensaries especially while traveling. It would appear that their primary caregiver should give them permission, but, in reality, that is going to be granted or the patient will go to a caregiver that will give permission.

Of course mmj is a form of regulated legalized mj. I view the situation as the public allowed mmj (passed amendment 60) as a means of allowing regulated mj as a test to see if regulated mj caused any great problems. And while California is moving ahead with legalizing mj under regulations and taxes, Colorado state government did much the same when it passed the modified mmj laws. Which still leaves it easy to get a mmj permission slip, but set up the structures to tax and regulate the growers and dispensaries.

While it may be easy for high school kids to get mj, for them it is illegal. It would be interesting if they are getting illegally redirected mmj or just more of the old illegal mj trade. At least in California, there is some evidence that mmj has hurt the illegal mj trade and that it is now somewhat harder for high school kids to get mj.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 10 months ago

Duke- You've really got to stop misrepresenting the idea that you have a clue what you're talking about. You might flex like you know all about the new mmj industry but your rambling on the subject reveals (to those that DO know) that you haven't the foggiest. Please stop disseminating lies, falsehoods and misinformation. Having a bias is one thing, but creating your own reality is quite another thing entirely. The simple fact of the matter relates very closely with what Scott W. was saying about a person's individual right to choose their own means of happiness(or relief from pain, as it were). Reality is perception and yours is pretty damn twisted(ill-informed and ignorant, at the least), in my opinion. Since the passage of all the new mmj legislation, it's now legal for municipalities to ban dispensaries entirely from their boundaries. Why don't you take up ye ol' cross and petition the city to issue a ban on dispensaries? What more of a noble cause could you possibly ask for? Why not go county to county, and city to city to petition them to ban this devil's lettuce from their midst? You'd be a hero! Or something like that.....

And Scott.....

Humble side-note......our state has Amendment 20.

Glenn Little II 3 years, 10 months ago

In this picture above showing the moratorium hearing room with empty chairs.. It shows how much the new marijuana laws affected patients. I believe as long as Amendment 20 protects our rights the businesses will work with the government to create a legit and legal way to do business. This shows the power of legislation and law reform.. Has anyone heard about another marijuana reform law passed recently with sb109 and hb1284? Changes to Colorado drug crime laws mandate that possession of less than 2 ounces of marijuana be lowered to a petty offense. A petty offense is the violation of an administrative regulation, an ordinance, a municipal code, and, in some jurisdictions, a state or local traffic rule. In many states an infraction is not considered a criminal offense and thus not punishable by incarceration. I think those empty chairs are a sign that the patients are happy with the way things are going despite changes and regulations being made to the industry. This marijuana industry is going to continue to grow and along with the many uses of the sacred plant. We should definitely look into hemp for agricultural use in Colorado and the Steamboat area. Consider how profitable and useful hemp fuel and oil industries would be? Hemp per acre can produce up to 5,000 - 10,000 Liters of Ethanol.. That is 2-4 times the amount of Ethanol produced per acre compared to apples, willow tree, corn, sugar beet, and maize. Maybe a company like BP will be put out of business by this hemp oil industry some day.. Everyone get ready to grow this country green again! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/LEGALIZE-COLORADO/120167101355783

exduffer 3 years, 10 months ago

It is interesting how this town of 10,000 can support 2 grocery stores, 2 health food stores, 4 pharmacies, 9(?) liquor stores and 3(?) MMJ dispensaries. Are the parking lots so congested at the current dispensaries that we need more? Will CDOT have to improve Hwy 40 in the Milner area to accommodate for the increased traffic? If you grow mmj on your land do you qualify for the agricultural tax break? So many questions.

Duke_bets 3 years, 10 months ago

mmj - Talk about ignorant. You rambled without even reading my posts. Please point out one false statement that I made in the above posts. Most of my comments were questions and a couple of observations. You may want to come out of fog land and back into reality before you post next time.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 10 months ago

Duke- I read your post(s). Dispensaries/caregivers don't hold sole rights over where their patients get their medicine from. Being a cardholder means that I can walk into ANY dispensary in the state and get my medicine. Every time I run out of medicine while I'm in Denver, all I do is find the nearest dispensary and I'm all good to go. All of your certainty counts for less than little, at best. Convincing yourself of something does not make it reality. To boot, it has everything to do with the free market system. Ever hear of supply and demand? Do you honestly think that the supply would be there if the demand wasn't? And you seem to be completely re-routing around the pain-relief issue. Not that I'm faulting you for it; if I was a prohibitionist, I wouldn't want to talk about it either. On that note, what's your preference for pain relief; booze, pharmaceuticals? Have fun with that...

Duke_bets 3 years, 10 months ago

mmj - Your reading skills are also very foggy. I didn't state anything about mmj card holders having to buy from a specific place. I stated that sole rights are granted to a grow operation from a particular cardholder. What is it.........6 plants per card? (The answer is yes) I'm sure all of you medical users don't run out. Duke bets that 90% of medical users don't travel around the state to buy from different pot shops. Most typical potheads don't run out on vacation. You have the supply on a daily basis, so there is no demand to buy out of town.

The demand is not for medical reasons...............The demand is to get baked.

You are so pro-stoned............Kind of like seeuski being everything R. The fog is so thick, that neither of you can see the other side of the fence.

Duke_bets 3 years, 10 months ago

mmj - Out of curiousity, How do you get back and forth to Denver so often? You claim to be high the good majority of each day.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 10 months ago

Duke- I'd love to know how many "potheads" you know. And of all those those "potheads" that you know, how many of them do you converse with about their vacations and their supply of medicine while on vacation? (The answer is zero.) That's what I'm talking about. You flex like you know volumes about everything(most especially the things that you're not all that fond of) in an effort to subdue your opponents into believing that you're right and that you have all sorts of real-world, ACTUAL experience/knowledge to speak from.....but in reality, there's probably another story to be told. I think it's hilariously ironic that you(blinded by the lies of a government that enacted marijuana prohibition laws based on industry/racism/money, instead of morality) are talking about being in a fog. You look at "Reefer Madness" as a documentary, huh? You still can't address the "pain reliever" issue and you still have the audacity to refer to yourself in the third person, like you're some hot $#!+ or something. And FYI, I usually just put my pterodactyl on auto-pilot when we go to Denver.

Jeff Kibler 3 years, 10 months ago

mmj - Duke asked a fair question.

I know a few potheads, but they don't work or drive impaired. Do you get around sober, much?

BTW, I support the legalization, regulation, taxation and distribution of mj.

Duke_bets 3 years, 10 months ago

mmj - Burned you again. I know more about the subject than you do. I'm truly not for or against.

I'm against calling it medicine. I'm against the lame excuses to get stoned.

If you want to be high your entire life, feel free.

You don't know the answer to any question you asked me.

The government has nothing to do with my opinion on potheads. You have nothing to do with my opinion on potheads.

Duke bets that you don't travel to Denver often. Those seemed like statements to add to the debate.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 10 months ago

Duke- Wow! You're pretty good at flattering yourself, huh? Right...you really got me good...again. You're just ignorant enough to believe it when you tell yourself that you've won. You state that, "You don't know the answer to any question you asked me." Let me ask ya Duke, what exactly did I ask you? I asked you how many "potheads" you knew/know? I asked you if you'd ever heard of supply and demand? I asked you if you viewed "Reefer Madness" as a documentary? And I also asked you what your stance on pain relievers is? I've got a pretty good guess as to what the answers to those questions are, but I'm polite enough to at least ask for your input(if only just for debate's sake). I'm still waiting for a lot of those answers and I imagine that it'll be a long time before one of you chicken $#!+ prohibitionists will engage in an actual debate, with answered questions for your opponents.

And I highly doubt that you know the ins&outs of the new(or old) legislation to the extent that I do. I get my information directly from the people that are directly affected by the changes in the laws. We know the changes in the laws because we want to be law abiding citizens. We don't want to break the law. But at every corner, we run into one of you old timey bastards that's stuck in their ways and automatically assumes that every person that uses cannabis is a law-breaking, thieving, cheating, evil, no-good, useless member of society. You've got it set in your brain that we're all criminals and it's simply not true. But, as you know, there's nothing I can do to change how you ignorantly assume things about people you don't know. At least none of the "potheads" I know are ever dumb enough to refer to themselves in the third person. Maybe if we'd stop using cannabis, we'd be great enough to start though, eh?

exduffer 3 years, 10 months ago

Boy, that 'kandy kush' sure dosn't have much of calming effect on mmj. Or maybe he isn't taking the right dose.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 10 months ago

duff- Thank you for illustrating my point. None of you have the natural, "god"-given intellect to SERIOUSLY have a debate/conversation and still sound like you know what you're talking about. So, instead you take the easy road and toss lame-a$$ sophomoric jabs, like the golden nugget above. Well, at least you managed to not refer to yourself in the third person, like some people around here. And FYI, it's Diesel tonight and the dosage is a plenty. I'm just not some push-over, pacifist that's gonna back down because some biased red-neck with an attitude has an issue with what medicine I choose to treat the ails of MY body.

exduffer 3 years, 10 months ago

I stand by my comment above. It is obvious that your dosage is wrong and is making you quite irritable, a common adverse reaction to almost all pain medications.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 10 months ago

And I still thank you for illustrating my point. And you're some kind of dosing expert for cannabis? Or pain relievers for that matter? You a-holes sit there and ridicule us/me over our choice of cannabis as our medicine and then you have the audacity to sit there and blame our medicine for our displeasure with your ignorant, a-hole-ish behavior. Ever stop to think that my irritability is a direct side-effect of your childish provocations? My meds calm me down and there's a good number of you out there that should be damn grateful for it.

exduffer 3 years, 10 months ago

mmj- I have not once expressed my opinion on MMJ in any of my posts I have only made what I thought were humorous remarks, so here I go. I am a former medium to heavy user for 15 years and now 15 years sober. I have many friends who are still users and run the entire range from occasional to MMJ patients themselves. What I have noticed in these friends and others over my 15 years of sobriety is that something is very different about the MJ used today. I quit using when I got a job with a supervisory role. What I immediately noticed was there were those that needed MJ to function and those that could not function safely. In the past 5 or so years I have noticed increased irritability in many friends and others when they may be on or off the drug. They are impatient, obssessed, compulsive and seem to have way more misdirected energy than in the past. This is no longer the lets get high and enjoy the hike, bike, ski etc. MJ of old. I have not once ridiculed you on your medication of choice.

I will now include in my expert opinions of mmj to not use dry humor when near a MMJ patient or adverse affects to the humorist may occur.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 10 months ago

duff- Please accept my apology. You just caught most of the gruff that was inspired by duke. I truly bear no ill will towards you. It just gets a little tiresome dealing with mockers&jokers who are only out to see if they can get a rise out of someone. This is a cause that I've taken up because I firmly believe that no governing body has the justification to tell anyone that they can't put something in their body that's been proven to be safer and less addictive than alcohol or pharmaceuticals. It really torques me the wrong way because the rules/laws(regarding cannabis) were enacted because of lies and misinformation. Your ideas about cannabis changing over the last decade and a half are purely anecdotal. Do you honestly believe that the cannabis genetics, universally, have been modified to make it's consumers more irritable? Granted, new crosses/strains have been created over the years but how, on earth, are they splicing "irritability" into it? Did you ever stop to think that maybe you're rubbing your "stoner" friends the wrong way about their choices, kinda like you did to me? Maybe you're just a d!(k-headed provocateur who has become increasingly more irritable because you don't use cannabis anymore? That ever cross your mind? Maybe cannabis users, universally, are sick and tired of people giving us $#!+ about our choice to use cannabis(recreationally, medically, whatever)? Maybe you've pompously assumed your position, high up on your ivory tower, now that you've righteously stopped using cannabis? Maybe you're just too good for all of us cannabis-user types now?

John Fielding 3 years, 10 months ago

Well, sounds to me like somebody is a little irritable. .

exduffer 3 years, 10 months ago

mmj- I said nothing bad about your choice only about your dose. Pray tell what is the average THC concentration in today's MJ versus that of the past? If it is significantly greater (which I believe to be the case) is that not change in the product. Does MMJ come with dosing instructions and warning labels? If one strain has a much higher concentration, is the consumer warned by the dispensary that this is the case and dose accordingly? These are not questions to annoy you but to inform me.

exduffer 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh, and by the way, a supervisor is one who is down in the trenches making sure the job gets done right. A manager sits in the white ivory tower watching.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 10 months ago

First of all, here's all your information about potency increase over the years. (If you're truly just in the market for information) http://www.alternet.org/drugs/19416/ And so, making a joke about my medicine is your way of not saying anything bad about my choice of medicine? I'd hate to see you really open up about it, sheesh. So, to that end, here's some bedside reading for you on the subject. Maybe it can serve to correct some of the other marijuana misunderstandings that you might harbor. http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/#potent Secondly, the evidence remains unchanged that no one has EVER died by overdosing on cannabis....ever. That being said, the dosing for cannabis is left mainly to it's consumers. Since there is no mortal danger in simply consuming too much of it, the limits are usually discovered by the individual that is using it. For me, I stop when the pain subsides. After a period of intense observation, I developed a schedule for myself that seems to do just fine at keeping the pain at bay. Slight variations in the schedule may occur from strain to strain, but usually the schedule remains relatively the same. The labeling usually identifies the strain, possibly an indication as to indica, sativa or hybridism, and usually the dispensary from which it came. Potency notification depends from dispensary to dispensary. Some do, some don't. If you go to people that care, and know what they're talking about, they will usually be happy to tell you when you ask about potency from one strain to another.

Was any of that informative for you?

oldskoolstmbt 3 years, 10 months ago

mmj~ just a question....do dispensaries sell hash(ish)?

JJ Southard 3 years, 10 months ago

OK, OK, OK..... Geez everybody just relax for minute.... Holy cow....

I am one of the owners of one of these businesses everyone likes to call "pot shops". I vowed not to post any more comments after the article that allowed some mis-informed & scared local citizen with children & a member of law enforcement to spew their opinions, without any chances given for the owners of the businesses to say anything. I thought this was of very poor taste of the Pilot.

This article being simply informative leaves out a great deal of information that it has yet to even be able to investigate, because the new legislation has yet to finish. The authors of HB1284 and SB109 are two fellows, one is the head of regulations of alcohol, casinos, and more...the other is a lawyer. These fellows admit these laws are a work in progress. The Routt County Comission, as well as every City and Town Council across Colorado should be wise to watch the progression of changes as this law is molded to fit with the industry....which is a guarantee to happen. Until then, registered caregivers in the area will look for places to legally grow the medicine needed to supply the patients of the region.

Period.

Oldskool....yes we do... :)

oldskoolstmbt 3 years, 10 months ago

ok...how is that hash (ANY amount) is considered a felony? (for people w/o a mj card)...again, just asking.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 10 months ago

Well, they make hash from cannabis. Cannabis is still listed, federally at least, as a schedule 1 narcotic. Therefore, it's illegal.

Duke_bets 3 years, 10 months ago

mmj - Out of curiousity, what's your ailment?

BTW, I'm not an old timer and I'm not against mj users. I'm also not ignorant. You seem to have more serious issues than medical problems.

I won't post on this topic again.

One more BTW for you..........I don't believe my name is Duke_bets, so Duke_bets that is not the defintion of 3rd person.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 10 months ago

Duke- I have incesant back pain from an injury I sustained back in high school wrestling.

Other than that, the only issue I suffer from is an extreme lack of patience when dealing with short-sighted, biased and/or flippant people.

If you've, somehow, fooled yourself into believing that I think ""Duke_bets" is your real name...well, it must not take much for you to convince yourself of something.

JJ Southard 3 years, 10 months ago

mmj...I believe oldskool's point is that hash should not be considered a felony. I agree. In regards to mmj, the law states we can posses any usable form of cannabis, by weight I presume....yet some law enforcement officers are not in agreement of this. So, again, a grey area is brought into the light. A lot of grey areas in mmj.

John Fielding 3 years, 10 months ago

mmj

Not to be flippant, in all seriousness.

There are remedies for that extreme lack of patience, you should not have to suffer so.

I share much the same opinion as you in several regards, especially injustice.

It was hard to overcome that same intolerance in myself, but worth the effort.

Duke_bets 3 years, 10 months ago

mmj - Ok, I changed my mind and this will be my last post. How did I know the ailment that allowed you to get a license? Duke bets that back aches are the most common excuse to get a marijuana license.

Hilarious.....You proved my point and made my day.

John-

Normally, I'm a pretty patient guy. I just get a little short with people about certain issues that are commonly mocked and deriden.

Duke-

My MEDICINE(since I know you love it when I refer to it like it is) not only relieves the pain in my spine, but it also treats my asthma and arthritis as well. I'm looking for your approval or even your respect. Go ahead and take the easy road by opting out of the discussion. No one really minds. If you've fooled yourself into believing that I actually care about your opinions regarding my choices....well, like I said before, it must not take all that much for you to convince yourself of something. This seems especially true of your own superiority. Must be nice being that great, huh? So, have fun referring to yourself in the 3rd person/pseodonym/avatar/screenname(or whatever you want to call it).

John Fielding 3 years, 10 months ago

mmj

I am happy to hear it. Perhaps I took you too literally.

There are ways to make your point that do not prompt others to mock.

oldskoolstmbt 3 years, 10 months ago

drgreenjeans~ that's exactly my point....hash='marijuana concentrate' ...you can't tell me today's mmj or billy bob's weed garden is any less potent than 'hash'....is there a test for THC potency?

Glenn Little II 3 years, 10 months ago

Hash can vary in potency and quality.. As for the crop of plants being as potent as hash that is not true! Hash can have a THC level which is decided by the creator. However much usable product you use and how mature it is will result in the THC potency. For instance hash made of a bunch of shade leaves taken from plants before harvest will result in a potency level which is less potent than the actual plant. ( Due to lack of THC ) If you use actual harvested buds and leaves from the buds that have matured and developed THC, than the potency of hash created is likely to be more potent than the actual plant. This is because when the hash is made all carcinogens, carbon, and plant material is removed and the THC is concentrated. Sometimes when a real high grade hash is made it can be 90% THC and that is more potent than the plant or any hash that makes it into a store.. It usually never leaves the growers hands. There are multiple ways to measure THC content and there are labs around Colorado that do so. I was even told by someone who works at ACZ Laboratories they could test for THC potency. A simple way to tell how potent your plant will be is to look at the color of trichomes on the plant with a microscope. Depending on size and color of trichomes lets you know when exactly to harvest a plant for supreme potency!

Glenn Little II 3 years, 10 months ago

MMJ~ these so called betters and oldskoolers are obviously not up to date with current legislation made by the state in the past weeks. There is a state law that just past reforming all drug laws including Marijuana making possession of up to 2 Ounces of Marijuana a petty offense in the state of Colorado. This law also increased the penalty for alcohol related crimes and made DUI Laws more strict. So it looks like the STATE GOVERNMENT is reforming drug laws due to the failure on the drug war and focusing on prohibition of alcohol through encarceration of those drinking and driving. Now my question is how many innocent people will die on roads around Colorado due to Alcohol? The state trooper I spoke with about the issue said they are arresting more drunk drivers these days and they are killing people on the road. He also told me on holidays they arrest the highest number of drunk drivers and this it what worries the state government. He is tired of seeing families being killed on the job and reminded me about the doctor in a movie called " Planet Terror ". The doctor said to his son right before he left to work, " No dead bodies for daddy today. ".. It was Memorial day when I spoke to this State Trooper and there is not a day that passes by that I don't think about what he said. Especially with all of the residents of the state with concealed weapons permits I fear for what this officer faces on a daily basis while risking his life! Our country celebrates holidays by finding it an excuse to drink alcohol and it destroys everything we hold dear and true to ourselves..

oldskoolstmbt 3 years, 10 months ago

skifree~ "As for the crop of plants being as potent as hash that is not true!" ......as you posted, it obviously CAN be true......"For instance hash made of a bunch of shade leaves taken from plants before harvest will result in a potency level which is less potent than the actual plant. ( Due to lack of THC ).........

mmjPatient22 3 years, 10 months ago

oldskool- Bravo. That is true. The major THC production doesn't begin until the plant is mature enough to begin producing flowers. Leaves that are trimmed away before the flowering stage are not likely to contain much THC at all. However, trimmings that are made during the harvest, the pieces of the plant that are not the flowers, are normally kept for the production of hash. This is not the only way that hash is produced. Sometimes, entire crops, flowers and all, are grown for the express purpose of hash production.

flower 3 years, 10 months ago

Hahahaha, anyone ever see the old movie Reefer Madness?

oldskoolstmbt 3 years, 10 months ago

so, back to my original question: why is hash still considered a felony (even a pencil eraser amount)...yet, the same amount of a more potent 'bud' is a misdemeanor/petty offense????...seems like they need to be changing this law as well.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 10 months ago

flower- There's quite a few of us that have seen that film. Some of the prohibitionists view it as a documentary, but the rest of us know the truth.

oldskool- If you're asking which part of the drug laws(regarding cannabis, at least) actually make logical sense, then you'll be asking a lot of questions for a long time.

Glenn Little II 3 years, 10 months ago

Oldskool~ You have misunderstood what I said. Hash is always more potent than the plant unless it's crap don't you see? The low grade hash made with the shade leaves probably tastes haynus and looks like dirt which probably would not even get you high. But it's still illegal even with little to no THC content in it. Until the past decade Hemp Food was not legally allowed to cross the border which contains no THC.. But yet to this day I cannot grow hemp to produce the seed for nutritional value or create crops of hemp to make paper or fuel "????...seems like they need to be changing this law as well." Hash is considered a felony because the laws outlawing the cultivation of hemp crops and possession of hash have yet to be reformed.. If we legalize marijuana new laws could still be implemented to regulate what should and should not be considered a felony. Just to make it clear for you oldskoolers DANK NUGGETS ARE NOT MORE POTENT THAN DECENT HASHISH!!!

mtroach 3 years, 9 months ago

I had an interresting conversation today with a MMJ user that was having problems with his political party. As a die hard gun toteing (literally he has a conceled carry permit) Republican he has problems with his party's stand on legalization. He stated he cannot support the Dem's 'cause they are after his guns and lands but want to legalize Mary Jane. The Repub's love guns and personal rights but hate legalization. Tough problem, What was most interresting was he held a MMJ certificate, and was "holding" two different strands of MMJ, as well as his conceled handgun. Now I'm all for MMJ(for me), and gun rights(for others) but was a little taken back by a citizen having both a handgun and two bags of MMJ on his person, at work.

What is the opinion of the forumites about a MMJ user also having and using a conceled handgun permit?

I would never handle a firearm while high, should we allow our citizens have permission from the government for both? Shouldn't having one exclude you from another?

mmjPatient22 3 years, 9 months ago

Extremely interesting quandary! I guess all of us reckless, wild, crazed mmj cardholders need to have our guns taken away from us. After all, look at how violent we get, especially when we're medicated!

Maybe the should take our guns and give them to all of the drunk people, or people that are on pharmaceuticals?