Republican U.S. Senate candidate Jane Norton speaks to residents at Bud Werner Memorial Library on Thursday.

Photo by Scott Franz

U.S. Senate candidate Norton discusses candidacy in Steamboat

photo

Jane Norton

— Republican U.S. Senate can­­didate Jane Norton told a Steamboat Springs audience Thursday morning that Washington is out of control, with over-regulation costing the state jobs and preventing the development of natural resources.

Norton spoke to more than 30 residents during the campaign stop at Bud Werner Memorial Library. In a wide-ranging discussion, Norton addressed the economy, health care reform, the nomination of Elena Kagan for Supreme Court Justice and other issues.

What Norton made clear is her belief that the nation’s problems start with the actions of the government.

“I’m in this race because I believe the federal government is out of control,” she said. “It’s overspending, it’s overtaxing, and it’s over-regulating.”

As a result, Norton, who was Colorado’s lieutenant gov­­­­ernor from 2002 to 2006, called this an exciting year for Republicans. Although she is locked in a tight primary race with Weld County Dis­­trict Attorney Ken Buck for the Republican nomination, Norton focused her criticism exclusively on the Democratic Party. She blamed the administration of President Barack Obama for what she called out-of-control government spending and excessive regulations.

“Regulations at the state and federal level are driving jobs out of Colorado,” she said. “The regulatory environment has also made it difficult for us to use our natural resources.”

Jack Taylor, chairman of the Routt County Republican Party, introduced Norton at the event. Taylor has not endorsed a candidate.

“It’s not an easy challenge, what she’s going through,” Taylor said after calling Norton a strong candidate. “When this primary is over, we all need to get together as a party behind the Republican candidate that wins.”

Norton also discussed her background as executive director of the Colorado Depart­ment of Public Health and En­­vironment, and how that experience would help her shape legislation if elected. She promised to make health care more affordable by creating more competition in the market and repealing the health care policies of the Obama administration.

“Washington thinks that the answer lies with them,” she said. “I’m a Republican because I believe individuals can achieve more than the government can provide.”

Audience members asked Norton what she would do if she were elected senator, and voiced their concerns about issues like rising unemployment. Norton said eliminating the estate tax, cutting the corporate tax, and issuing a three-year moratorium on payroll tax payments by small businesses could help small businesses grow.

Steamboat resident Jim Schl­­­auer asked Norton whether she would vote to confirm Elena Ka­­gan, Obama’s pick to replace Sup­­reme Court Justice John Paul Stevens.

“I would not,” said Norton. “I believe she will be an activist judge and her nomination is extremely troubling.”

Norton has additional campaign stops planned for Pueblo, Denver and Colorado Springs this week.

The Republican primary is Aug. 10. Routt County’s primary election is being held by mail-in ballot only.

Comments

Scott Ford 3 years, 8 months ago

It may have been the time or day of the week - but there does not seem be too many folks in the room under the age of 60. In addition, the body language displayed may say a lot about how receptive this group was to what Ms. Norton was presenting.

freerider 3 years, 8 months ago

The re- puk-llican crime family on tour ....starring blah blah blah

according to the latest crime watch you can now find the Bill of Rights printed on rolls of toilet paper in the women's bathrooms at the Senate Building

The constitution can be found in the men's bathroom

Ron Paul 2012

David Wilson 3 years, 8 months ago

Actually, Scott, I was there along with about 40 other people. The crowd was mixed in age and definitely included many folks--like myself--who are well under 60. Norton is smart, poised and articulate, and her remarks, which were interrupted several times with applause, were very well received. When she returns to Steamboat in the fall, I hope that you willl be able to see her in person.

David Wilson Steamboat

Brita Horn 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree with Scott. Sorry David, Norton will only return in the fall as a tourist, not a political candidate. After the shenanigans she pulled at the State Assembly, Jane lost her credibility. Norton knew she would not have had enough votes to make it on the ballot. She was hoping for a nod from Palin and Sarah already made her picks for CO. I did not see Norton on the list.

the_Lizard 3 years, 8 months ago

beentheredonethatJane Norton is a stupid woman saying stupid things....... how so?

I met Jane Norton in another small group setting earlier this year. I was unsure if I would vote for Buck or Norton until I met her and heard her speak. She is articulate, smart and unafraid to answer any question in a clear concise manner. There are no poltical platitudes and pandering with Jane, she comes armed with facts and knowledge.

Mr. Ford, Im under 60 and I voted for Norton.

Scott Ford 3 years, 8 months ago

Without question Ms. Norton is smart. I remember meeting her when she was the AG and I was impressed.

I think she has an excellent grasps of the facts as she understands them. The reality is that all of us filter facts to conform to our worldview. To think otherwise is silly. The challenge is that we must recognize that this selective filter exist and guard against it.

It is the realization that nobody knows everything about anything. Therefore we must allow ourselves and those around us permission to keep learning. This the difference between being smart and being wise.

Is Ms. Norton wise? I don't know yet - but I am willing to keep learning about her.