Karl Rove headed to Steamboat

Republican strategist will be keynote speaker at Freedom Conference in August

photo

Karl Rove

Freedom Conference

For more information about the Steamboat Institute and the Freedom Conference, visit www.steamboatinstitute.org

— Steamboat Institute co-founder Rick Akin finally landed the big fish he was after.

Akin confirmed Friday that influential Republican strategist and political analyst Karl Rove will be the keynote dinner speaker during August’s Freedom Conference in Steamboat Springs.

“Reagan was a big fish, this is a much bigger fish,” Akin said, comparing Michael Rea­­­­gan’s appearance at last year’s inaugural Freedom Confer­ence to the news about Rove. “Reservations have been coming in like crazy today. I would call that positive feedback.”

Rove, as much a hero in conservative circles as he is a villain in liberal ones, was senior adviser and deputy chief of staff to President George W. Bush until his resignation late in Bush’s second term. Rove is now a contributor to Fox News, The Wall Street Journal and Newsweek.

His lengthy career as a political strategist dates to the 1970s and took off during the successful election campaigns of, among others, former U.S. Sen. John Ashcroft and Bush’s two Texas gubernatorial campaigns and presidential campaigns.

He’s no stranger to controversy, having been named in a number of political scandals.

The Freedom Conference, sponsored and organized by the Steamboat Institute, is sche­duled for Aug. 27 and 28 at The Steamboat Grand. The Steam­boat Institute is a local conservative nonprofit organization that touts values of limited government, lower taxes, free markets, strong national defense, and individual rights and responsibilities.

This will be the second year of the Freedom Conference. Confirmed speakers include Rove; Virginia Thomas, founder of Liberty Central; Tony Blankley, a panelist on KCRW-Santa Monica radio show “Left, Right and Center;” Yaron Brook, president and executive director of the Ayn Rand Institute; Dan Mitchell, senior fellow at The Cato Institute; Peter Brookes, senior fellow for National Security Affairs and a fellow for Policy Studies with the Heritage Foundation; and Jason Mattera, author of “Obama Zombies: How the Liberal Machine Brainwashed My Generation.”

Although landing Rove is significant for the Freedom Conference, Akin said he’s just part of a bigger agenda.

“You have to have a few big-name speakers,” Akin said. “Certainly Karl Rove and Virginia Thomas fit that bill. But that’s not the primary motivation. I want people to hear people like Yoran Brook and Peter Brookes and Jason Mattera.

“We’ve got an array of people who can really convey a lot of information and help people understand things, but they’re not necessarily the names that attract attendees and get them in the seats.”

Registration for the full conference costs $250. People also can pay to attend only certain conference sessions. For example, Rove’s dinner keynote at Thunderhead at the top of the ski area is $100. The cost includes dinner and the gondola ride, Akin said.

Last year’s inaugural Freedom Conference included appearances by Grover Norquist, the president and founder of Americans for Tax Reform; Michael Reagan, conservative talk radio host and son of late President Ronald Reagan; and Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, R-Minn.

Akin said organizers of the Freedom Conference want it to be the conservative alternative to the Aspen Ideas Festival, going on this week.

“We’re having a little more success in doing what we intended to do than we thought we would — or at least it’s happening faster,” Akin said. “Some of it is the tea party movement and the appetite for conservative speakers and Libertarian speakers.”

Comments

freerider 4 years, 2 months ago

This guy should be in prison for crimes against humanity and now he's making big bucks off idiot Re-puke-licans that actually pay him to show up at one of their pep rally's ...and for all you other re-puke-licans that feel like bashing me for this post I am not a Demo-crap ...The state of politics these days boils down to which crime family do you want to serve...I choose neither

RON PAUL 2012

END THE FED END THE WARS END THE IRS BRING BACK THE BILL OF RIGHTS BRING BACK THE CONSTITUTION

PEOPLE LIKE KARL ROVE USE THE BILL OF RIGHTS AS TOILET PAPER

freerider 4 years, 2 months ago

YVB , S o which part of crimes against humanity do you not understand ?? this guy is in bed with Dumbya and Cheney ...as the orchestra leader of the worst presidency in history of the U.S.A. ... he's also is responible for the Valerie Plame outing and Setting up Scooter Libby as the fall guy knowing Dumbya would commute his sentence...that's treason my friend and corruption to the max

RON PAUL 2012

seeuski 4 years, 2 months ago

Where was freerider when the whole world new that Dick Armitage was the one who outed Plame? Libby was convicted for nothing and never was his sentence commuted. I guess the New Black Panthers/DOJ affair, the Sestak affair, the Romanoff affair, the Louisiana bribery, the Cornhusker Kickback, the taking of GM and on and on is OK with some. How else can one describe the WORST Presidency? We don't care about people who parade as something other then the left wingers they are and their code pink agenda.

Republicans are positioned to save the Constitution from the trash heap this Fall. Vote for the Socialists or vote for the Republicans, it's up to you.

dave fisher 4 years, 2 months ago

i just love the GOP- Grand Old Paranoia

keep it up you guys. you are your own worst enemies. ha

Truculent 4 years, 2 months ago

Vote out all the incumbents on both sides. We could start by trying to find a few people who are not convicted felons and can figure out how to pay their taxes. The first guy that proposes that congress will have the same health care plan they are saying we need is the guy I'm voting for.

NamVet 4 years, 2 months ago

Democrats promise you what you don't want to hear like Health Care Reform, raising taxes on the top 1% etc. and then when elected do it anyway. Republicans tell you what you want to hear.like smaller gov't, lower taxes, balancing the budget etc. and when elected do the opposite. Since 1980 every Republican President has doubled or tripled the deficit and increased gov't spending by over 65%. When they take back the power which they will you can count on a war with Iran to make the Defense Contractors happy and Big Oil will get big tax breaks to repay them for the oil disaster in the Gulf with the taxpayers getting the bill.. The only difference between Democrats and Republicans is who they spend OUR money on. Democrats love social programs and Republicans love Big Oil and Defense Contractors. Either way we are screwed.

Jon Quinn 4 years, 2 months ago

NamVet is right. We have consistently been let down by both the left and the right, with the exception of Clinton. It sure would be nice to find a president again who understood that a surplus is better than a deficit.

It is time to have an honest conversation about what we want from government. Politicians cannot solve all our problems. We dig ourselves out of the hole we are in with higher taxes, less spending, or both.

Rove is so extreme that he represents the views of very few Americans. The same is true of the Democratic leadership at the moment. I think most Americans are centrist. The tea party will be a footnote in history books, but it's extremism will never be embraced by most. But it is an important movement because it reflects the discontent most of us are now feeling with the state of our political system.

David Brooks has written about this quite a bit lately... our country is ready for a legitimate, centrist, 3rd party. The Democratic and Republican parties are frankly out of touch, and both consistently serve only themselves. We need something better for our future, and it certainly is not represented by people like Karl Rove!

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree, Jon. The extremists on both sides are the ones who knock our country down over and over again. It's when the 2 current sides can't work together that things break down. That's why when 1 party gets super-majority numbers, they'll push thru their own agenda thru in a partisan manner. And then, they are not intelligent enough to see that they are doing the same thing in reverse when the other party gets that super-majority. Both sides use "The Nuclear Option" but call it "The Constitutional Option" only when their side uses the tactic.

Dave McClure 4 years, 2 months ago

Democrats and Republicans listen up. Lets have a citizens arrest demonstration! Karl will be here for two days. Make some signs, form a line and picket for his arrest! No trespassing and we wouldn't want to interrupt his speech to those all American fascists. I just love these non-profit organizations, they don't pay taxes, that sponsor criminal speakers in the name of the first amendment. Lets take their pictures, so we know who they are. They are harboring one of the great deciever's minions. Picket and pictures!! Catchy phrase! I'll be there!

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 2 months ago

LOL! I'd settle for Tar & Feathering as I was reminded of it after watching the 2008 John Adams mini-series HBO just replayed. Anyone trying to make a citizen's arrest, let me know, first. I want to get a photo op to post on Facebook! Good luck with that!

As for Rove himself, I can see why some "special" people see him as appealing. From 2006:

On October 24, 2006, two weeks before the Congressional election, in an interview with National Public Radio's Robert Siegel, Rove insisted that his insider polling data forecast Republican retention of both houses:

SIEGEL: I'm looking at all the same polls that you are looking at.

ROVE: No, you are not. I'm looking at 68 polls a week for candidates for the US House and US Senate, and Governor and you may be looking at 4-5 public polls a week that talk attitudes nationally.

SIEGEL: I don't want to have you to call races...

ROVE: I'm looking at all of these Robert and adding them up. I add up to a Republican Senate and Republican House. You may end up with a different math but you are entitled to your math and I'm entitled to the math.

Also -"In July 1999 he told The Washington Post that he did not have a degree because "I lack at this point one math class, which I can take by exam, and my foreign language requirement."

Both are from Wiki.

"and I'm entitled to THE math." Uh-huh. Must have been thinking that 59 and 73 were the same number. How'd that work out during those elections? I guess one math class can make a world of difference and keeps it non-fuzzy.

Zed 4 years, 2 months ago

Is fox news coming with him? With a name like "Freedom Conference", it will certainly be deserving of their attention, they could use footage from other rallies to make it seem really big!

seeuski 4 years, 2 months ago

We are preparing for the commies, and we have cameras too.

Fred Duckels 4 years, 2 months ago

Congratulations Rick and Jenifer on putting this excellent program together. It is a good effort to promote the free market system over those wishing to milk the country for legislation to promote socialism and freeloading forever. Europe is now lecturing us, not to follow their folly. Jon, I believe Newt Gingrich's attempts to shut down the government in order to keep the budget in line might deserve some of your praises. Your Tea Party comments may come back to haunt you, I see their efforts as the only logical solution to end this Jr.Hi. administrations reign, and hopefully end this conspiricy of dunce's. Obama's only experience has been that of an agitator, but he does have the unions and lawyers behind him plotting to gain through legislation what they will never realize in the marketplace. A year ago conservatives were told to move left or become extinct, the wise one's waited for the pendulum to swing and it certainly has, see you at ;the conference.

Jon Quinn 4 years, 2 months ago

Sorry YVB. I just believe that if a person has something to say, they should have the courage so stand up and say it... in their own name. That simple. I will not lead my life being afraid that some will disagree with me. I think you know my opinions about anonymous posting.

I have worked my butt off, day in and day out, to make Steamboat work for my family. This is my home. I will express myself as I see fit.

Oh, as for political aspirations... I can tell you that they begin and end in Steamboat for me. But since you clearly know me so well, I am surprised that would be news to you.

Cooke 4 years, 2 months ago

Well said John, it's your sense of honor and dignity.

Zed 4 years, 2 months ago

According to YVB Political Truth consists of statements like the following:

"Clinton did his best work under a desk with Monica. He lied under oath, he lied to his wife, he lied to his daughter, and he lied to the American people. He wants Hillary to start a war in Korea, and he and Hillary will do anything to replace Obama as the Dem/Pres candidate in 2012, just watch."

Wow you nailed it, really profound insight into Political Truth! And Obama is not a US citizen and a muslim right? Thats the truth we need more of.

Fred - You are right, we should avoid "those wishing to milk the country for legislation to promote socialism and freeloading forever" and instead go back to allowing big business to milk us. I love Wall Street, big banks and big corporations because you can always count on them to do the right thing, they would never take advantage of their fellow Americans. It seems to me those writing the legislation and running the various government departments are all ex-big business. Who was it that was overseeing drilling regulations in the coast? Oh that's right, the head of the MMS was in bed with officials from BP, literally.

jk 4 years, 2 months ago

George, Hopefully you won't be teaching him the rules of the road!!

exduffer 4 years, 2 months ago

It would be nice if someone from an opposing political view would post 'I look forward to seeing Mr. Rove speak and seeing what his viewpoint is from the man himself instead of gathering my info from wiki snippets'.

kathy foos 4 years, 2 months ago

Zed What you stated about what Clinton did was very true,but you forgot one point at least,that being,it sat precedence in the legal situations of civil trial,"you can lie under oath and get away with it".If the prez gets by,why not everyone else?If he got away with perjuring himself ,why cant everyone else?Its a terrible example for our young or old generations,if Bill Clinton becomes the prez-spouse,are we supposed to respect him?Will he redecorate,throw lawn partys?Maybe tell Hillary what to do?Heck they got away with Whitewater,All kinda stuff over the years.What kind of example to our children its O.K. to be a crook in some cases,you can lie too about it when prez,and now that same man is headed back to the white house?What is wrong with people and how could Hillary even be considered?She has been there all along too.Crooked also.Why is she in the mix at all?Tell kids why Bill Clinton needs to plan the Easter egg lawn party,he will turn that white house into a who___ house.She will let it all happen.

pitpoodle 4 years, 2 months ago

Jon Quinn, after your wrong and dismal approach to SB 700 where you thought the annexation agreement was a gift to Steamboat, I have no regard for your views or comments. Mr. Rove has a perspective too but generally an informed one, not withstanding the poll comments, and at least he is interesting. I would like to hear his views on our terrible state of affairs (not just deficits). Who said Bush was the worst president ever? Wrong. It is our current president who is the worst ever and Clinton was little better.

seeuski 4 years, 2 months ago

We have some breaking news on the Obama elections. Well, it wouldn't be breaking this late if the media did their job. The Democratic nomination was stolen from Hillery Clinton by the Obama operatives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccbd4DbpS4c&feature=player_embedded pt.1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGZFgM... pt.2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXNqFQ... pt.3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4XFvq...

"Felons Voting Illegally May Have Put Franken Over the Top in Minnesota, Study Finds" http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/12/felons-voting-illegally-franken-minnesota-study-finds/

We have a pattern here along with the New Black Panthers intimidation and the ACORN fraud. High crimes and misdemeanors.

seeuski 4 years, 2 months ago

YVB, Send it to me. I am a proud birther for whoever desires to be the POTUS.

seeuski 4 years, 2 months ago

This is the crap we have as our leaders now.

" The White House is contradicting the NASA administrator’s claim that President Barack Obama assigned him to reach out to Muslims on science matters.

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden recently told Al-Jazeera network that one of the charges Obama gave him was “to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science and engineering.”

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Monday that such activities are not among Bolden’s assigned tasks. He said administration officials have spoken with NASA about the matter."

Nightmare on Elm st.

Cooke 4 years, 2 months ago

See - Regarding Obama, NASA, and reaching out to Muslims -- Why is that such a bad thing? Didn't RR tout the same thing for NASA and the evil Soviets? Daily Show ran the footage last week -- I don't have time to link it.

Poodle -- I don't know Jon Quinn at all, but it seems the epitome of narrow-minded ignorance to dismiss someone's political views based on a small town housing development position. Get a grip.

seeuski 4 years, 2 months ago

We were in a space race with the Soviets Cooke. Get it? And besides, RR did win us the cold war. Interesting source for your news though. And thanks for reminding me of what great leadership is, it's been long forgotten this last couple of years.

A Muslim bowing and reaching out to the Muslims of the world, priceless.

Cooke 4 years, 2 months ago

I do get it See, and I don't get my news through the daily show -- rarely watch it as a matter of fact. Further, I don't get my news through Fox and Friends either, which most would argue is a more partisan, more skewing source than any other out there, However, I can't help but recognize that you did not answer the question -- Why is reaching out a bad thing? Is it simply because you are a bigot? I would like to think that you are not, so prove me wrong.

seeuski 4 years, 2 months ago

If wanting to keep my head attached to my body and keep a Mosque off of ground zero and support the Israelis in their quest for life makes me a bigot, then have at it. I could spend 10 minutes writing all that this Administration has done during it's existence that is bigoted but I am on the way out. So, being that you source MSNBC and all the friendly comedy shows for your news we can expect you have no clue. Just look at the slate of current events with the NBP's and the DOJ for one. Good luck.

seeuski 4 years, 2 months ago

One last thing, Are you prepared to except Islam as your faith? That is the only way to live as an infidel in their caliphate. Who are the true bigots, really?

blue_spruce 4 years, 2 months ago

this blog is sure full of teabaggers! who would have guessed the valley was so full of crap!

Cooke 4 years, 2 months ago

Not sure how to look at the current "slate" of affairs See. I do know how to proofread though -- will that exempt me from beheading. BTW - can't stand MSNBC -- you don't know me.

seeuski 4 years, 2 months ago

I accept the criticism for my abuse of the word accept while I was rushing to get on the road. Islam will never accept infidels in this world, and that does not come from me but from them. Accept it or ignore it at your own peril. We did that all during the Clinton years and it got us 9/11 after several other attacks. So no, I do not think NASA is properly sanctioned by reaching out to Muslims to make them feel good about their supposed contributions to math and science. Unless you are using it to count the number of deaths from terrorism and infidel murders and the science behind their tactics.

aichempty 4 years, 2 months ago

Okay, first of all, deficits have to be compared to the GDP (Gross Domestic Product) in order to see how "big" they are. If you make $5000 a year and spends $1000 on housing, that's a lot more on a relative basis than someone who makes $100,000 a year and spends $15,000 on housing. Absolute numbers don't account for inflation and the "income" of the country as a whole, so they are not valid. They do, however, give people a way to taunt the uneducated who fall for the "The deficit is twice as big . . . " arguments. Doesn't matter whose deficit it is/was, it has to be compared to GDP to be valid.

The Republicans would have an argument if all of them were honest and honorable people. In fact, Newt Gingrich is not much different from John Edwards in his personal life. A guy who abandons a wife dying of cancer doesn't deserve to have any of us as his followers. Both of them did that.

If big business didn't use the laws to screw the little guy, Republicans would have a good argument for their way of doing business. They have to change that part of the equation and be honest, honorable, responsible and pragmatic about people who honestly need government aid and social programs if they want to get out of the hole they're in now where half the people in the country hate them.

John Fielding 4 years, 2 months ago

Aich makes an excellent point about the abandonment of the terminal loved ones, how can one respect anyone who would do so. When my wife died it was in my arms, with our daughter and doctor present, with Father Ernest having given last rites and other messages of comfort. Hers was a very slow passing, and to be present was extremely painful and traumatic, but I believe I may never have a chance in this life to perform a more noble service than to whisper those final words of love and reassurance to her.

pitpoodle 4 years, 2 months ago

Jeez, I doubt that one-half of the country hates Republicans. Cut it out. That is a completely biased statement that harms your credibility.

aichempty 4 years, 2 months ago

Poodle,

No, I think the results at the ballot box are pretty conclusive. Maybe "hate" is a strong word, but recent elections have shown that it's a pretty decent 50/50 split.

My comments above are more fully supported by the revelations regarding Scott McInnis and his plagiarism scandal. He somehow dares to think that returning the money ($300,000) after GETTING CAUGHT should clear the slate.

It is becoming more obvious that the Republican Party is serving as a false front for crooks who pretend to be "conservative" and have "family values" and all that propaganda to capture the votes of the real people who are still honest, have family values, and fear the Liberal agenda. On the other side, of course, are the crooks who profit from the Liberal agenda (Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, for example, who fan the flames of racism to generate income for themselves).

This whole country is pretty ####ed up and if the elected officials are going to refuse to enforce the laws (immigration, for example) for political gain, won't go after the crooks sitting in Congress, in the Executive branch, and even in the Judicial branches of the federal and state governments, we really don't have a government "of the people."

Taxpayers currently exist to fund the careers of politicians, who slap bandages on visible public issues for the public relations value and use our money to buy votes for themselves by giving away things the people in their states and districts value.

We've got a bunch of Id-driven two-year-old personalities begging Big Daddy Government for things they can't provide for themselves, and then when the results of getting away with too much for too long finally catch up with them, they want to be let off the hook.

Lots of people around here like to keep their heads down and not attract attention because they are dealing on the dark side of society, but in non-violent ways. Tax evasion (taking payment in cash and then not declaring it for tax purposes, transferring highly valuable property via quit-claim deed to escape reporting requirements imposed on lenders and title companies) and drug use are obvious "problems" that most people around here don't consider to be problems, because they are careful and don't get caught. Well, like it or not, one guy around here who takes cash and doesn't report it to the IRS and Colorado Department of Revenue is no different from the politicians who take thousands or even millions in special privilege for themselves at everyone else's expense.

Karl Rove and his cronies need to clean their own house, enforce the laws and return this country to a place where laws mean something. I think both parties are so crooked that there is no hope. It's just like an honest man going to court before a crooked judge; the judge can do what he wants, and there's nothing an honest man can do about it except learn to stay out of court.

JLM 4 years, 2 months ago

Political candidates today come from the idealogical left and right because this is where the primary election system forces them in order to obtain the nomination. Primary voters are fairly zealous.

Elections are decided in the center because the centrists now come out to vote.

Newly elected politicians are forced to govern from the extremes because this is what the caucus requires. Think Nancy Pelosi.

When re-election time comes along, the candidates run back to the center because at home they really don't care what Nancy Pelosi thinks about anything.

Thereby creating the assurance that the electorate will never reallly be happy with their elected officials.

sledneck 4 years, 2 months ago

Aich, once again... you nailed it. There is little hope for America as it now meanders.

John Fielding 4 years, 2 months ago

There is plenty of reason to maintain hope for America, and for Humankind and Life on Earth.

The very fact that we, like millions of others, are having these discussions is reason for hope.

The level of awareness of the planets physical and biological systems is constantly expanding.

The desire among the Peoples of the Earth to live in Harmony has never been greater.

Yes, there is a great deal of hard road ahead, but most of us don't mind the trouble.

Just look at how hard we worked to get this far, we aren't giving up now.

In the words of the poet:

"Oh let us turn our thoughts today to Martin Luther King. and recognize that there are ties between us, all men and women, living on the Earth, ties of hope and love, of sister and brotherhood. And we are bound together, by the desire to see the world become, a place in which our children can grow free and strong. We are bound together, by the task that lies before us, and the road that lies ahead, and we are bound, and we are bound.

James Taylor