Wednesday, December 22, 2010
2010-11 Rams girls basketball schedule
- Dec. 2: Soroco 51, North Park 29
- Dec. 6: Soroco 56, Steamboat JV 25
- Dec. 7: Soroco 50, Moffat County JV 47
- Dec. 18: Gilpin County 35, Soroco 34
- Jan. 14: Rangely 55, Soroco 43*
- Jan. 15: Soroco 62, Vail Christian 33
- Jan. 21: Soroco 73, Plateau Valley 31
- Jan. 22: Soroco 58, West Grand 24
- Jan. 28: Hayden 60, Soroco 46
- Jan. 29: Paonia 58, Soroco 38
- Feb. 4: Soroco 49, North Park 26
- Feb. 5:
- Feb. 8: Soroco 51, Vail Christian 26
- Feb. 11: Hayden 76, Soroco 41
- Feb. 12: Soroco 61, Meeker 45
- Feb. 18: 4 p.m. vs. Vail Mountain (JV only)
- Feb. 19: Soroco 51, Battle Mountain 39
- Feb. 22: District Tournament
- Feb. 25 and 26: District Tournament
- March 4 and 5: Regional Tournament
- March 10 to 12: State Tournament in Pueblo
Steamboat Springs The Soroco High School girls basketball team lost its first game of the year Saturday, falling 35-34 to Gilpin County.
Soroco trailed 15-12 at halftime before taking a 20-18 lead into the fourth quarter. But the Rams struggled down the stretch, missing six free throws in the final quarter.
“We didn’t do what we needed down the stretch, which I would have liked to see,” Soroco coach David Bruner said.
The Rams, however, were a beat-up bunch.
Shelby Miles didn’t play, and the only completely healthy player Soroco ran out onto the court was Micaela Meyer.
Still, the Rams had a chance to win at the end. After starting slow in the first half, Soroco started to put it together. Being outscored by the Eagles, 16-13, in the fourth quarter proved the difference.
“We were beat up and sick,” Bruner said. “But we probably still should have won. We hadn’t been in a close game yet this year. They started fouling us, and we couldn’t make free throws. Then they’d go down and score.”
Meyer led the Rams with 14 points while Ceanna Rossi added 13 rebounds.
Soroco enters the holiday break at 3-1, showing marked improvement from last year. The Rams should have time to work out any kinks when they get back from break as the team doesn’t play again until 5:30 p.m. Jan. 14 at home against Rangely.