Steamboat Springs attorney Jim Heckbert explains Tuesday how his client, Wayne Ranieri, was hit by a vehicle driven by Kathy Whaley on March 19, 2009, near Lake Catamount. A Routt County jury recently awarded Wayne Ranieri and his wife, Julie, $2.4 million in damages.

Photo by Matt Stensland

Jury awards $2.4 million in bike-car crash near Steamboat

Wayne and Julie Ranieri awarded for damages and compensation

— A Routt County jury awarded Julie and Wayne Ranieri $2.4 million in damages and compensation last week after a March 2009 crash that occurred while Wayne Ranieri was riding his bicycle near Lake Catamount.

The jury determined Friday that motorist Kathy Whaley owed Wayne Ranieri $1.63 million for non-economic damages, $359,000 for economic damages and $240,000 for impairment and Julie Ranieri $173,320 for compensatory damages.

Wayne Ranieri, a local real estate agent, was riding his bicycle near a property he was showing at the time of the collision March 19, 2009. The Ranieris’ attorney, Jim Heckbert, said Wayne Ranieri is an experienced mountain bike rider and had competed and ridden in the area for years.

Heckbert said Wayne Ranieri was thrown more than 20 feet when Whaley reportedly cut a corner too close and drove into the oncoming traffic lane, hitting Wayne Ranieri head-on. Wayne Ranieri landed on his buttocks, compressing his spine and crushing a vertebra in his lower back. He was in the hospital for 13 days.

Heckbert said Wayne Ranieri was riding on the far right side of the road, as evidenced by skid marks at the site, and saw the oncoming car but could not avoid the collision and swerved to the left to try to avoid the car.

Whaley’s attorney, Lake­wood-based Bradley Ross-Shannon, said the facts of the incident were disputed, and they think the accident happened closer to the center of the road. He said where Wayne Ranieri was riding on the road was not an issue at the trial, but it was argued that Ranieri was biking too fast to stay in control.

Mountain lifestyle

According to his professional website, Ranieri’s favorite activities include, “powder skiing, mountain biking, martial arts, snow shoeing, hiking, running, camping and horseback riding.”

“When you do this to someone who is highly active, his whole life is changed,” Heckbert said.

Since that time, Ranieri has gone through two major surgeries to fuse three vertebrae in his lower back and hold his back together with rods and pins. He now goes to physical therapy several times a week and has tried to ride his bicycle several times since the incident, with little success. The jarring motion, and the pain from leaning over the handlebars, means Ranieri will likely not be able to ride at nearly the level he used to.

“Wayne will have pain in his back at the level of twice a toothache,” Heckbert said. “He has a limitation of motion, he can only sit for brief periods of time without having to get up and can only walk for brief periods of time.”

Wayne Ranieri declined to comment for this story, and Julie Ranieri was reportedly out of town. A message left at a phone number for Whaley was not returned.

Lawyer: Appeal likely

Ross-Shannon said he wanted to emphasize that Kathy Whaley and her husband are “very good people,” and “involved members of the community” who work with charitable organizations. He said the jury didn’t get a good picture of who they were at the trial.

“The other thing I’d say is the Whaleys certainly feel badly the accident occurred and hope that Wayne Ranieri continues in his progress,” Ross-Shannon said.

Heckbert said the damages awarded by the jury included the cost of Wayne Ranieri’s medical care at Yampa Valley Medical Center, as well as for future surgeries, which Ranieri’s doctor, Dr. Henry Fabian, said would be necessary in coming years.

Heckbert said Whaley’s phone records show that she was on a call at 5:16 p.m., making reservations at a restaurant, and at 5:17 p.m. she called 911. It’s possible, he said, that she was hanging up the phone at the time of the crash.

Ross-Shannon said Whaley was adamant that she was not on her phone and the phone was not in her hand at the time of the crash, and she had called as she was leaving her home, not on that stretch of road. He said the cell phone accusation was used to inflame the jury.

Ross-Shannon said the verdict is only partially covered by insurance. He said it’s likely that he and Whaley will appeal the decision.

“We’re disappointed with the verdict,” he said. “We certainly respect the jury verdict but are disappointed by it. We do believe there are some errors in law we will be pursuing on appeal.”

— To reach Zach Fridell, call 871-4208 or e-mail zfridell@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

beentheredonethat 4 years, 3 months ago

i would take 2.4 million in exchange for fused vertebrae...any crazy drivers out there willing to run into me?

sledneck 4 years, 3 months ago

hell yeah! Just step off the sidewalk and I'm your huckleberry!

1999 4 years, 3 months ago

i really don't think you have any idea of what wayne goes thru on a daily basis.

you really are a disgusting human to have said that.

Neil O'Keeffe 4 years, 3 months ago

He could have just as easily been killed thanks to another distracted motorist on their cell phone. Not sure that I would trade a future of limited activity/mobility and chronic pain for any price. Here is a legitimate patient for the mmj industry. Spend it well Wayne!

Brian Kotowski 4 years, 3 months ago

beentheredonethat:

Breathtakingly juvenile & classless.

Amy Harris 4 years, 3 months ago

beentheredonethat: you are rude and horribly insensitive.

George Danellis 4 years, 3 months ago

It is my understanding that the jury of our peers found the defendant is 100% at fault. May we all be free from unexpected suffering of this sort and may we also commit fully to the responsibilities that come with operating a motor vehicle. Few among us can claim full attention.

bigfatdog 4 years, 3 months ago

only 2.4!!!! Wayne is going to have physical issues for the REST of his LIFE!! For a guy that lived for his physical activities this is peanuts!! Because he was so fit and worked so hard to regain his physical abilities, he probably was awarded less.

beentheredonethat..you are the problem with this country.

1999 4 years, 3 months ago

regardless of whether wayne was active before the crash or a couch potato...the woman was at fault and the award justifed.

I would also like to add......though the woman was at fault she is heartbroken and horrified that she caused such harm to another human and his family.

we should ALL pay more attention.

seeuski 4 years, 3 months ago

I would not appeal this verdict if I were the Lady, 2.4 could become 5.4, pay the man beg for forgiveness and move on.

trump_suit 4 years, 3 months ago

Some of you that complain about our local cyclists and have threatened to run them off the road should take note of this verdict. As summer comes and the bikes come out in force, glue a smile to your face, pass safely and give a friendly wave to your friends and neighbors.

Two lives were changed forever by a single moment of inattention. Lets all try harder to avoid anymore incidents like this and to get thru the entire summer without reading about another bicycle/auto collision in Routt County.

Clearsky 4 years, 3 months ago

I heard she was texting while driving into the oncoming lane. The best punishment is for her to lose her license and have to ride a bike. Sorry for the lifetime of damage you experienced Wayne. You will obviously need the money as compensation and for medical payments. Anyone who causes injury with a motorized vehicle should LOSE their License! It is the best solution. One less __ on the road! In other civilized countries that is the norm. The police officer simply takes the license at the scene and you have to go before a court of law to get it back. Maybe this is the extra business the judicial system needs as a substitute for the legal treatment of mother nature smokers.

dan ohnsman 4 years, 3 months ago

All of the parties involved were good people. I can relate to all of them. The Whaley's feel horrible about the accident. The Ranieri's did not ask to be put in this situation.

The cell phone is irrelevant. She was in the wrong lane at the point of impact.

I sat through the entire trial and I have lots of respect for both parties. I think both the Whaley's and Ranieri's are great families and I hope each of them get some closure. Each family has integrity and I think they each handled the trial with great compassion and respect for one another. It must have been very difficult to re-live this accident in the court room.

I would hope all of you think about how this accident has affected each party involved before you post your comment. Each family deserves your respect.

kathy foos 4 years, 3 months ago

Trumpsuit is right,bike safety should be a real priority,whether 2 wheels or 4.Anytime you are on the road its dangerous,but with high speeds and narrow roads...Good Luck to you, I wouldnt do it myself or at least not on the highways,just afraid.

bandmama 4 years, 3 months ago

It comes to the fact that that maybe both parties should have been paying more attention to what was surrounding them. No one is at fault. It was an accident, I am sure that it was not a case of lets scare that guy on the bike. I admit, I get annoyed when bikers ride two abreast and dont pull to the side of the road when a BIG piece of metal is behind them. But I know it is my responsibility that when driving, I have to be the one looking out for my best interests, & those of the guy who doesn't know there is a vehicle, behind, in front or near where my car is on the road. I drove for 3/4 of a mile on River road the other day behind two bikers who would not move to the side. They finally noticed when on coming traffic moved so that I could pass,(let me point out that while I appreciated the chance to pass, this is not a smart move, as I would still have X'ed the yellow line and the other drivers would have been on an imaginary shoulder) as soon as they realized someone was behind them they moved and I passed with a wave, no harm done, leaving two bikers unharmed. I have decided that honking my horn would not be a bad idea, not to be rude, but to let those bikers know I am there. Had I been in a hurry or not aware that they had no clue I was there, I could have ended up being the one paying a million for ruining ones life. I know as an operator of a motor vehicle it is my responsibilty to avoid contact, those riding bikes need to carry the same awareness and understand that paved roads more often than not are there for motor vehicles. The right to cycle is a priveledge on a paved road.Bike riders need to know that most drivers are looking for cars, not someone on a bike.I have nearly hit a few on bikes on Lincoln as they come from out of no where and are in my blind spot. As stupid &mundane as it sounds, anyone on a bike should have something to make car drivers aware of thier presence. An Air Horn would work for me. I would find it very hard to live with myself if I were to hurt someone with my car because I just didn't see them. While a bit nerve wracking I would like to know why on Lincoln, bikers can not ride on the sidewalk. It seems much safer and leaves the responsibility on the biker, not the drivers who are already looking for CARS, not bikes.Bikers seem to ignore red lights, turning signals and oncoming traffic if they think they can "make it". This afternoon a biker ignored the poor cop holding up his hand in the classic STOP position. had the driver turning right not had good brakes and an awareness, it would have been one really messed up biker and a a dented bumper. Please City officials, start handing out tickets to parties who ignore the laws of the road. Money seems to talk. A few tickets & a name made public may save a life,a bike a bumper....... Oh yeah, the buttheads who refuse to wait for the ok sign to cross the street, dont even make me go there.

dave reynolds 4 years, 3 months ago

bandmama you make some great points but the bottom line is there a few chosen few bikers that think they own the road...i give the right of way..it works both ways i guess that little plastic helmet makes them invisible.. share the road

Clearsky 4 years, 3 months ago

Bandmama you need to reread the laws pertaining to pedestrians in Colorado. Also the speed limit laws. If it is 25 and the bikes are traveling at 25 then why are you passing? Plus this biker was on the opposite side of the road riding the opposite way as the driver. The driver went into the oncoming lane and hit the biker. You need to ride and walk more.

JustSomeJoe 4 years, 3 months ago

Bandmama - so much wrong with your post. It's illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalks. As for your "no one's at fault comment", she was in the WRONG lane! How is she not at fault? The right to ride a bicycle on a paved road is no more a priviledge than the right to drive a car on a paved road. Both conveyances have equal rights to that paved road.

As for your comment regarding car drivers only looking for other cars on the road, well that's silly. If you are driving a car you need to be aware of other cars, bikes, pedestrians, animals, hazards. You are responsible for maintaining a safe speed (speed limit and under) in all conditions and being able to stop your vehicle if any hazard presents itself. Sure, some bicycle riders made poor decisions, as do pedestrians and drivers. Drive defensively, stay in control!

bandmama 4 years, 3 months ago

Clearsky- I was driving on average about 18mph that day.....I wouldn't have been trying to pass had they been peddling thier little feet a little faster. Just Some Joe- no disrespect for either party. Simply stating that it was a horrible accident and I am sure that the driver didn't run down the biker on purpose it was an ACCIDENT. As far as riding on the sidewalk, re read my post, I am aware it is against the law, but right now, with the construction and all I really do feel it would be safer for all.

Clearsky 4 years, 3 months ago

Bandmama, If I went out everyday and set up a target down the street and practiced archery or rifle and did this day after day for years and then accidently shot someone would you feel the same about it being just an accident???? It was just an accident!!!! OOPS sorry I was distracted while texting on my phone and the arrowed slipped Well it was just an accident. If someone is driving a 2000 lb or motorized vehicle, he or she needs to practice responsible safe driving period. Any accident can be attributed to a fault. It is the responsibility of the driver to prepare and maintain safe behavior.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 3 months ago

It was an accident. There was no evidence presented that the driver typically drove on the wrong side of the street. There was no evidence presented that she intended to hit the bicyclist. If either of those things were true then she'd be facing criminal charges and possible jail.

But just because it was an accident does not mean it was not her fault. It was her fault that she was on the wrong side of the road and hit a bicyclist. Because it was her fault then the bicyclist sued her for damages and won.

bandmama 4 years, 3 months ago

Thank you Scott for pointing out the obvious. ( I agree, fault is fault legally)

Clearsky- You little advocate you!!! Were you one of those bikers riding two abreast ignoring your surroundings peddling at 18 more or less mph (even though, btw ,the posted speed is 35mph.) the other day? Now I know why this hits so close to home. It is ok Dear, I drove safely and tried very hard not to honk or be an A$$hole and did what I could to avoid hitting you or your friend, even though "you" peddled merrily along under the Clearsky.... And you know what? No, I wouldn't set up a target just "down the street and practice rifle or archery". That would be "dangerous" and "plain a$$ dumb" BUT if I WERE to do so and "you" happened to walk in my way with all the noise of a rifle,sort of like an on- coming car, and "you" were ignoring "your" surrounding at the same moment that I didn't see you for whatever reason and pulled the trigger, why yes, I would consider that an accident. Seeing as how I certainly wouldn't have set out that clearsky day to harm someone.. (I mean NO disrespect to the persons named in the above article ,just making a point, please dont yell at me for being blunt) Clear, you need to understand there was no harm meant from either party. But when one takes a risk as biking can be dangerous on any road in the county, both parties need to be aware and be prepared to keep the streets safe. Not just the operator of the automobile.

jk 4 years, 3 months ago

bandmama, Here, Here!!! I was thinking what a wonderful idea a minimum speed limit might be, especially on a few of the more curvy and narrow roads!! Of course since the cyclists are never cited for any of their infractions anyway, this would probably not do any good!

Clearsky 4 years, 3 months ago

Bandmama I don't ride on the rode because of people like you! Stop accusing other people instead of accepting responsibility for your behavior. I follow the laws you should too

Clearsky 4 years, 3 months ago

Bandmama, it is plainly clear that you should not have a license and should seek council on your violent behavior before you become enraged and hurt someone.

bandmama 4 years, 3 months ago

Clearsky I somehow do not see where violence and danger come into the picture from my original post. I thought that by driviing behind two bikers for nearly a mile at 18 mph was doing the safe thing. Next time I will find the closest turning point and go the other way. I would suggest turning in my license and seeking council for my dangerous behavior, but I am not sure if I can get to the office by the time it closes as I may get stuck behind another bike or two. Thank you for your concern. JK- thank you for the support. HA!

Clearsky 4 years, 3 months ago

Bandmama just reread what you wrote and the laws of the road and pedestrians. Remember the pedestrian or bicyclist could one day be your child.

JustSomeJoe 4 years, 3 months ago

Bandmama - you need to re-read your original post. It was incoherent at best and you were all over the place. I'm sure you meant well, but you were dead wrong on so many points you tried to make. It was horrible that you had to slow down for those two road bikers the other day, perhaps you can get some compensatory damages for all the 1-2 minutes of time you lost. Yes, you are right, you did great by not hitting them or scaring them with your horn. Actually, by not hitting them you followed the law.

dave reynolds 4 years, 3 months ago

personally I wouldn't ride a bike on a road with no shoulder..I have a good friend who rides all the time and REFUSES to ride with some because they have no respect for the vechiles on the road its that entitlement thing again we ALL have to share the road bandmama did the right thing seems shes just asking that riders as well as drivers follow the rules not to much to ask but H..l most cannt drive the speed limit or stop at red lights or stop signs so maybe she is asking to much I do give riders plenty of room when I pass them its called respect I've seen plenty of drivers and riders push the limit

Clearsky 4 years, 3 months ago

The issue is really, How are people supposed to get from here to there and back? Because of the no trespassing laws and lack of proper easements, we are forced to use the roadways. So we all have to use the roadways unless there is an easement, sidewalk, trail, path, waterway, or bike trail. It is time we re-evaluate the no trespassing versus passing through laws. Maybe this is the solution. Passing through along every property line unless the owner designates his/her own easement paths as substitute. Apparently if I have a claim to graze cattle on public land, I am entitled to pass through any way fit. That is the law. Let's make this a better world. It is easy. Animal (meaning nonmotorized) passage through. No loitering, littering, camping, gunning, etc.. Just passing through is allowed. get it?

bandmama 4 years, 3 months ago

Lets make it simple, you ride a bike on a road that has no shoulder ride single file. Or go the speed limit. OR how about showing some of that respect and move over and let cars pass safely. Seems easy enough to me. There wouldn't be an issue if everybody was aware of who was sharing the road. Joe- you are right, I did drive safely and didn't hit them. Dont see a problem with my actions for those few moments. I was not the one ignoring the laws. Darn the luck.

mtroach 4 years, 3 months ago

hey bandmama why not take some time to review the law that says bikes can ride two abreast anytime traffic is not being held up. For me one car behind is not traffic so just wait till it's clear and pass in the other lane. that's written into the law as well, a auto can use the other lane to over take slower traffic without any regard to the double yellow lines, etc. Banning slower traffic and mininums are crazy and would be far more of a problem for ranchers feeding cows, and moving big farm machines than it would for cyclists. Plus, keep in mind that the Routt County Roads are not freeways, in fact no freeways exist in this area and at any time you can encounter livestock, farm machines, cyclists and runners, drive with care. all this talk about "entitleted" cyclists makes me sick, drivers and all road userrs sould be requires to retest for their Right to drive every five years, to make sure that everyone knows the current laws and understands how to drive without endangering others on the roads. Testing driving knowledge one a lifetimeis irresponsible. Testing for basic skills and knowledge, plus requireing additional tests for cycling, trailering and large vehicles should be mandatory. CDL's require it why not the rest of us?

jk 4 years, 3 months ago

mtroach, Your whole paragraph reeks of cyclist entitlement!!! " For me one car behind is not traffic so just wait till it's clear" You wouldn't even have the courtesy to move over even though you are the one impeding traffic and endangering others with your slow speed!?!?!?! Not to mention you have stated in other posts that you would not be willing to license your bike to help with costs. And it would be very easy to add a Rancher/ AG status to a minimum speed limit!! Of course you would probably buy a few chicken and throw them in your kid carrier just to fight for your right to impede traffic and put yourself at risk at the expense of others!!!

mtroach 4 years, 3 months ago

I am entitled to ride on the roads. I am entitled to ride two abreast whenever I'm not impeding traffic.Those are the LAWS of the state, not my delusions. That's why my posts sound like an "entitled" cyclist. If you don't like the current laws talk to your governmet reps.

I've come up on cattle drives out on the county road system and those cows don't move to the side and give way to my truck, I take time to slow down and get by without endangering their value as beef, or being disruptive to the slow moving ranchers using the public easement to move their herd.

Putting a licence on my bike does not solve anything, the problems are with the drivers/riders not the machines. Proper training and having to prove that you are educated driver/rider and aware of the ever changing laws that dictate driver conduct should not be limited to a one in a lifetime test. Driving is not a right, and having to prove your know the current laws regarding road use should be required every five years. Drivers that can't pass shouldn't be on the roads, and additional certifications should be required for slow moving vehicles and towing trailers just like CDL drivers are required to test and re-test to prove they know how to operate a big rig on public roads in a safe manner with respect to the laws of the state and other road users.

The real entitled speech on this forum is comming from the inpatient drivers that conclude that all roads should be clear of all slower users so that forward progress of their autos isn't hampered. Only on limited access freeways is that entitlement given to autos, and here in routt county freeways don't exist.

aichempty 4 years, 3 months ago

This is really simple.

For some unknown reason, some people pull into the left lane before making a left turn. This often happens in farm country where the vehicle getting ready to turn left is pulling a trailer without signals or brake lights, and pulling into the left lane lets traffic behind go on its way. This prevents impatient following drivers from cutting around on the left as the slow vehicle is turning left.

Clearsky, if you put your bike in a vehicle and drive to the trail, you would not have to ride on the roads with motor vehicles. This is not rocket science.

Roach,

Your "definition" of traffic really takes the cake. If you are impeding the flow of vehicles on the road, you are impeding "traffic." Next time you're out there on the road and a car comes up behind, imagine a car in front of you, going half your speed. If you would pass the car in front of you, then you should let the car behind you pass by riding single file.

Like it or not, when bikes and motor vehicles mix it up, the bike is going to lose. Like it or not, unless you're the guy driving the motor vehicle that has the misfortune to get into an accident with a bike, every time that happens, it takes a biker off the road. That's one less for us to worry about.

You are in the right until you impede traffic by riding two abreast. At that point you assume a portion of the liability for injuries that occur, because nothing prevents you from moving over and doing what the law requires you to do.

Read the drivers license manual again. The fact that you have the right of way does NOT give you the legal right to take an otherwis legal action which will result in an accident. For example, if you have the green light, and you see a vehicle approaching too fast to stop, you don't have the right to pull into the intersection and cause an accident that would otherwise have been avoided. Tough to swallow maybe, but it's the law.

I'm installing dual air horns. Nice and loud. If you want to ride two abreast on a curvy road and listen to the air horns, pardon me if that interrupts your conversation. This is going to make for some great "dash cam" footage, I'm sure. When you look back and gesture, remember, you're doing it for U-Tube.

Seriously, Peace, Dude. It's just a matter of common courtesy, like holding the door for the person behind you instead of letting it smack them in the face. It's how civilized people behave. What's so hard about letting others get where they're going? How do you know the person trying to get around isn't on the way to the hospital with an injured person in the back seat? What about someone having a heart attack, or an asthma attack? Do you want to be responsible for harming an innocent person just to make a point which, apparently, you don't really understand after all?

elphaba 4 years, 3 months ago

The real tragedy of this is that while Mr. Ranieri is hurt and no doubt needs money his attorney will probably be entitled to the lion's share of any awards or damages......probably in the neighborhood of 60%. It is the Plaintiff's attorneys who encourage innocent victims to go for court actions and huge awards because the longer the case goes on the higher their percentage becomes. If it is settled relatively early then the Plaintiff gets way more money than if it goes all the way to trial. So guess what the advise of counsel would be??? No one is a "winner" except the attorney.

dave reynolds 4 years, 3 months ago

some riders should be tested for common sense..lets see a car or a truck out wieghs you by 1 to 5 tons yet some of you still insist on pushing the limit...this is why there is such a clash between riders and drivers..here let me think my bike and myself wiegh about 200 lbs and this car or truck wieghs any where from 1 to 5 tons whos gunna win if (God forbid) we have an accident it ain't gunna be me and my bike..duh..I could be wrong on this but mtroach you seem to be one who does push it to the limit..but I guess if you feel your life is worth that then more power to ya ..there does come a time when wether the law is on you side or not you should just have respect move over and let cars pass..once again when possible I do give riders plenty of room because I do have respect for them..maybe you and some of your other riders should try doing the same..share the road

bandmama 4 years, 3 months ago

ok, I promised myself I wouldn't respond to this anymore, I have driven for nearly 26 years and safely, never hitting anything or anybody besides one turtle two weeks after getting my license and one squirrel that I still believe had a death wish. For those of you that get the whole respect thing, I think that is wonderful. For the rest of you that dont get it. I wish you the best. I do have to ask Roach though, are you seriously equating the intelligence levels of cattle to two bikers riding two abreast ignoring the big chunk of metal behind them? Even if it is only ONE? And I must repeat myself, by driving at 18 mph for nearly a mile, behind two bikers that would not move over, I feel I was very patient and being a safe driver as I DID NOT try to pass unsafely, and I DID not startle them with a honk of my horn I did however wait until another moving vehicle coming from the other direction caught thier attention by moving WAY over and allowed me to pass safely. Cows vs Bikers. I think I am beginning to see the other side, Gary Larson would be very proud.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 3 months ago

The cattle story was an example of drivers slowing and respecting the rights of others to use the right of way.

bandmama 4 years, 3 months ago

I was just pointing out that the slow moving cows dont bother me. I dont expect them to respect humans (as we eat them) I somehow think bikers can be held a bit more responsible for thier actions or lack of reactions.

Clearsky 4 years, 3 months ago

You know what? I think I am going out and buy a road bike and ride more often. Or maybe I will go out and drive more often SLOWLY VERY SLOWLY and teach all you entitled car egomaniacs a lesson in patience and understanding. A BIG HUGE TRUCK WITH LOUD exhaust VRMM VRMMM What a bunch of uneducated unhealthy lazy Earth destroying future destroying idiots. Using up your future generations ability to survive on this planet. I know you don't believe it because you don't understand it so it isn't happening. Unless you all have a good understanding of Quantum Physics and basic Chemistry you will not understand the process of our destruction by burning carbon based fuels. Save the future , ride a bike. Appreciate the bike riders , they are not causing irreversible harm to the environment . You are! Get it now?

Clearsky 4 years, 3 months ago

In addition, Since I have moved to Steamboat I have put about 600 miles on my truck, total, in 6 + years!!!! I'm patiently waiting to get enough miles to finally change the oil and filter. It has been and looks like a long wait ahead. Walking and riding my bike! That is the best solution I can come up to do my part. So keep your unholy comments to yourselves and do the right thing to make this a better world!!! A world were our children have a future!

Clearsky 4 years, 3 months ago

And if the speed limit is 25 MPH and a biker is going 25 MPH and it is a NO PASSING ZONE , then you are breaking the law by passing. The speed limit is the LIMIT!!!!!! not a recommended speed or a minimum speed. Come on THINK!!!!with that thing in your head called a BRAIN.

bandmama 4 years, 3 months ago

clear- PLEASE continue to ride your bike. Your comments only back what others feel, that you think you are entitled to impede traffic only because you are riding a bike. The posted speed is 35 mph on the road I was driving. The bikers were not aware or simply buttheads on bikes. I have encountered MANY bikers who have pulled to the side, even waved me on as they have a better vantage point. These are responsible, respectful people who are just out enjoying the ride, and I always try to wave a thank you for thier consideration. They are not like you, who seem to go out of thier way to annoy people in cars. You go ahead if it makes you feel strong you feel you are making a point. The rest of will continue to drive safely and travel very slowly behind you while you look at the clearsky. I feel very sorry for you that you are so narrow minded to your surroundings, community and neighbors. I think it is wonderful that you have helped to save the planet and the enviornment. Good for you! You are doing a noble thing. I hope you someday look beyond your compost pile and see that kindness and respect go much further than going out of your way to annoy people into seeing your viewpoint. And, one favor, the next time you turn onto River Road from 5th street to Wally World, Please seriously look at the speed limit signs, AND the yellow lines and the distances between the 25mph and the 35 mph signs. I think you may find that it is NOT 25 mph the entire passage. And have ever tried to cart groceries for family of four on a bike for 8 miles each way every two weeks? It doesn't work very well.Have you tried it? I bet not,a package of 12 rolls of toilet paper alone and mess with balance and wind resistance. And as much as I love the planet, I am not willing to give up toilet paper.

jk 4 years, 3 months ago

Clearsky, Really 600 miles in 6 years? I think I know what your problem is!!! You need to get the Hell out of Dodge once in awhile!!!! There is life beyond this Valley, put away the bike one weekend and feel free to go check it out!!!!

Kevin Nerney 4 years, 3 months ago

Clearsky- I'm proud to say I have over 1 million miles on my license and counting. I've visited all states of the lower 48 except Oregon and Washington. In addition to road miles I have accumulated my share of air miles also. I don't feel the least bit guilty. The Quakers and Amish in Pa. are saving my share of the planet by getting around with horse and buggy. By the way you should change that oil not just by the number of miles on it but also by the calendar. Old gasoline turns to varnish after a few months and used oil is no better for the engine.

dave reynolds 4 years, 3 months ago

sky..ask yourself these questions how was your car built? at an auto plant..humm bad emitions..how was your house built and what kind of machinery was used?..lumber lumber comes from tree once again logging bad for enviorniment..trackhoes bobcats etc for escavation spew black smoke into the air once again bad for enviornment..how bout your clothes made at factories...your bike was it made at Moots or somewhere else..still torches,sotering and painting put some bad stuff into enviornment.lets not forget the plants that produce oil,gasoline and diesel fuel so that the transportation industry can get the part they need to say fix your car the parts needed to manufactor the bike you ride what about the lube you use for your gears and chains..everyone can do something to help the enviornment but do not kid your self like it or not in some way youhave contributed to the very thing you are ranting about

JustSomeJoe 4 years, 3 months ago

Bandmama - You just aren't getting it. Bikes do have the right to impede traffic, by their nature they will almost ALWAYS impede traffic. There's no getting around it. However, by law, we do have the right to the road and since we are going slower, like large trucks/trailers, cattle, etc, you will have to take care to pass. Bike riders also have the right to ride two abreast where practical. Sometimes, when riding two abreast or in a pack of riders, you can't hear the car behind you, usually it's the wind. So while you are back there fuming, we have no idea.

Yes there are plenty of bikers who don't move out of the way as payback for the inconsiderate drivers who blare their horn when passing, or pass to close, or pass unsafely. I'm not one of them, but those idiot bikers are just part of our community just like the idiot drivers.

Clearsky 4 years, 3 months ago

So paddlefisher if I understand you right, you are saying since we have already caused so much damage then it's OK to continue? That is the issue? You are saying we should just keep on destroying our ability to survive on Earth as we know it for ouselves and the next few generations?? You ain't too smert now arent' ya?

bandmama 4 years, 3 months ago

JustSomeJoe, I do get it. That is why I didn't try to pass and dont try to unless, to the best of my experience and awareness, know for sure it is safe to both me and you as the biker. You do have a few good points. You are very correct in saying that bikes do impede traffic You also admitted that when in a group, sometimes it is hard to hear things around you. Admitting that and being aware of that, in my opinion makes you as a biker that much more responsible to maybe have a mirror, or to look behind you every so many seconds, miles, feet whatever as I HAVE to do in a car. It is my responsibility to check my mirrors and know where other things are when driving.( I know every driver has a blind spot! Be aware of it) Why should you, as someone who does have every right to share the road not be held to the same standards,rules & consideration? As far as fuming? That is not the right word. While I admit I get impatient and yes I do sometimes REALLY want to honk my horn, I would never do that just to annoy some fellow in front of me to make him aware of me presence. I follow at a reasonable distance and try not to be a butthead. I am only asking for the same in return. I do appreciate you stating that there are bikers who dont move over no matter why they think that is a smart choice., just as there are drivers who are buttheads also.

dave reynolds 4 years, 3 months ago

no you don't understand me all I was doing was responding to your comments calling us uneducated unhealthy earth destoring idiots by merely pointing out that you too benifit from the very things you are so adamently opossed to i recycle walk to work live less than a mile from there and do do what I can to help the enviornment may job requires me to drive

Clearsky 4 years, 3 months ago

Paddlefisher I think you need to understand your self. You are accepting that I am referring to you? Our culture is destroying the Earth regardless of what you think or say. When we see bicyclists or pedestrians, we should be grateful that there are people that are making the "best" choices.