Kevin Fisher, left, and Ryan Fisher, co-owners of Rocky Mountain Remedies, won the Cannabis Crown in Aspen during the weekend for a strain of medical marijuana developed in Steamboat Springs with gardener Ray Thomas. The three men won a trophy and a trip to compete in the Cannabis Cup in Amsterdam in November.

Photo by John F. Russell

Local marijuana strain takes top honors at Cannabis Crown

Local dispensary’s ‘Kandy Kush’ earns top honors in Aspen

— The medical marijuana in Steamboat Springs is tops in Colorado. And that’s not just blowing smoke.

Local dispensary Rocky Mountain Remedies won top honors for the best strain of medical marijuana at the inaugural Western Slope Cannabis Crown in Aspen during the weekend.

The Kandy Kush strain, grown in Steamboat, beat out entries from 140 other participants and won the growers a trip to the 23rd annual Cannabis Cup in Amsterdam this November.

Kevin Fisher, who owns the business with Ryan Fisher, no relation, said the strain is particularly beneficial to patients with nausea and pain and that it acts as an appetite stimulant.

The strain, a cross between four other strains, was developed in cooperation with gardener Ray Thomas.

Kevin Fisher said that unlike many “specialty strains” that have flavors such as coffee or fruits, the Kandy Kush tastes like, well, marijuana.

“It has a real stinky, dank flavor to it,” Kevin Fisher said.

The Cannabis Crown, held at The Gant in Aspen on April 17 and 18, hosted about 3,000 medical marijuana cardholders for networking and seminars, Kevin Fisher said.

Damien Horgan, who helped organize the event, said a panel of five judges, who were unaffiliated with other groups, picked the winner.

Kevin Fisher said the Kandy Kush sold well at the event and that he expects it to continue selling well throughout the state as other dispensaries place orders for the award-winning strain.

“I’m sure we’re going to see demand go through the roof,” he said.

Even so, he said prices for the strain, as well as others, will remain the same for people in the caregiving service. Rocky Mountain Remedies is one of two for-profit dispensaries with a license in Steamboat.

The win also came with a trophy that the Rocky Mountain Remedies team will receive from the organizers on live television, broadcast by G4 TV, possibly later this week.

Fisher said he and his growing partners might take their strain to other competitions throughout the state during the summer, but none of the other competitions will be as big or prestigious as the Cannabis Crown.

“This is as legitimate as it’s going to get here,” he said.

— To reach Zach Fridell, call 871-4208 or e-mail zfridell@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

bestfreeheel 4 years, 4 months ago

See? It's mainstream now! To the legislatures on federal, state and local levels: LEGALIZE IT ALREADY!

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 4 months ago

G4?? Will Olivia Munn be present??? Oh please, oh please, oh please!!!! (My wife just read that and smacked me.)

Hey! If Steamboat produces more champions in this category, will we have a new contender to replace "Ski Town USA" as our moniker?

jk 4 years, 4 months ago

Nice work Brent! Now there's an article to balance out the news!!

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

Another fine example of the photography prowess that resides with the Pilot.

muck 4 years, 4 months ago

Our local,and state government is to STUPID to capatiailize in such a profitable new LEGAL business in the state! WAKE UP MORONS!! WAKE UP STEAMBOAT!! WAKE UP OAK CREEK! WAKE UP HAYDEN!! WAKE UP YOU SO CALLED "BRIGHT" POLITICIANS!!

YOU HAVE LOST! GET OVER IT!!

73 YEARS AND TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS LATER!! TRILLIONS OF YOUR HARD EARN DOLLARS AND NOW WE CAN GET POT IN A LEGAL STORE 7 DAYS A WEEK NOW!

WAKE UP RACISTS! YOU HAVE LOST!!

OVER GROW THE GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan Fisher 4 years, 4 months ago

Muck, our state and local government ARE profiting by these new businesses. All of the dispensaries pay sales tax, not to mention the people that they employ, the contractors they hire, and the money that is spent at other stores in town, such as Ace Hardware & Little Shop of Growers. Muck, I'm with you; the "war on drugs" is and was a complete failure. There are 14 states that have legislated medical marijuana programs, plus the District of Columbia. There are 14 more that are legislating programs right now. Pay attention to California this November. This country is shifting it's thought process! Thank you, free information on the internet!

RPG 4 years, 4 months ago

So the judges in this contest must have all had notes from their doctors saying they needed medical MJ ?

housepoor 4 years, 4 months ago

Nice timing on the pilots part to publish this article on 4/20

challange1 4 years, 4 months ago

OMG!!! I can't even believe I am reading this article in the paper!!!! This is absoulutley a great example of what is wrong with this world today!! I have no problem with this what so ever. You are welcome to it in the privacy of your own homes and own lives but why the hell does it have to be shoved down everyones throat. Is it ok to tell my kids that this drug is ok but none of the others are? And now they are recieving awards for it? Come on!! I hope to hell my kids don't read the paper today!!

Glenn Little II 4 years, 4 months ago

OUTGROW THE GOVERNMENT !! LEGALIZE IT ! The Fishers' are sticking there neck out there for the 60,000+ MMJ patients around the state.. Educate the poor people that have been mislead by our government for years. Happy 420

freerider 4 years, 4 months ago

challange1 ...you are completly cluless about what's wrong with the world today if you think marijuana is the big issue...

As far as your kids go stop lying to them , this isn't a drug . It's a plant . Nobody has ever overdosed on it ...ever !!!

Death by Big Pharma last year = over 150 thousand Death by alcohol last year = over a half million Death by nicotine last year = millions Death by obesity last year = tens of thousands Death by marijuana last year = 0

And as far as this being in the pilot it's called freedom of the press Maybe you should move to China or North Korea if you don't like it You should be glad that we still have a free press even if you don't agree with it !!!!

Ron Paul 2012 ...End the Fed . End the IRS legalize Marijuana

Ryan Fisher 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes, Challange1, that is EXACTLY what you should be telling your kids. Marijuana is a FLOWER that is not harmful, but BENEFICIAL, to humans. It is YOUR responsibility to educate YOUR children about the world. Do you think that your kids don't already know about pot? If they are old enough to read the paper, then they are old enough to go on the internet and read about whatever they choose. Maybe YOU should do a little reading yourself, instead of just buying into 70 year old propaganda.

JJ Southard 4 years, 4 months ago

Congrats RMR!! AND....don't forget....Very HUGE congratulations to Ray Thomas!!! That's the man behind the Crown!! Woot Woot!! CandyKush-y Loveliness!

Also, Thanks RMR for everything you do!! As an owner of the new co-op in town, I thank you for helping Steamboat's MMJ industry get some legitimate exposure. We will always have those who just don't understand...like challenge1, but if we continue to hold oue heads high, knowing we are helping people on a daily basis, we will continue to prevail. (& 3pinripper...I hear you loud & clear).

I can't wait for the Cannabis Crown 2011!!! Mooooooooohhahhahhaaaaaaaaa!!! :)

HAPPY 4/20!!

PS. Thanks Pilot. These eases article eases my disgruntledness with the last article regarding mmj. I kinda like you guys now. hee hee

Scott Wedel 4 years, 4 months ago

Challenge1: So you tell your kids that using pot is bad, but alcohol is fine? That abusing drugs is fine as long as they are prescription meds? That smoking cigarettes is fine? Or even that being obese is fine?

It is not that hard for kids to understand that some people do thing to themselves that is not good and that it is not always easy to do what is right. It is my goal to raise a happy and healthy daughter that will not be found in some bar drinking and smoking while ranting about pot smokers.

challange1 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes I know what freedom of the press is. And yes I DO agree with it. Doesn't mean I have to like what I read!! Nor do I have to agree with it!!

I couldn't care less what the statistics are about mj. You all had your opinion and simply expressed mine!! Please don't lecture me about how you think I should educate my kids or what I should tell them about this "drug". I DO NOT lie to my children I simply tell them my opinion and when they get old enough to make their own descions I can only hope they do what they feel is the right thing. I know they know what pot is, and AGAIN, DO NOT tell me how to educate my kids!!

Glenn Little II 4 years, 4 months ago

Fine teach them the wrong thing then and you will find yourself with a new challenge.. Regret

seeuski 4 years, 4 months ago

Is hashish available at these depositories also? How about sinsemilla? Can these drugs be made to help pain sufferers without the effects of getting high? Should people driving while high be charged with DUI?

seeuski 4 years, 4 months ago

Should all parents teach their kids to get high?

challange1 4 years, 4 months ago

My only "regret" is getting into this stupid argument!! I was simply stating my opinion just like everyone else was.

exduffer 4 years, 4 months ago

Riddle me this Batman. How do you get your winning entry to Amsterdam?

Glenn Little II 4 years, 4 months ago

Sorry challenge1 I'm not trying to argue.. If you feed it lies than it will breed lies. "Tell the children the truth!"~Bob Marley I was taught at a very young age about Marijuana and how it can be used as many different things besides medical treatment. Marijuana may be the key to fixing a majority of the things that are wrong with the world today! Perhaps the simplest solution is the most visible? Use it for fuel to help stop killing our earths atmosphere and oceans, use it for food to solve world hunger and starvation, use it for fibre and paper to help stop killing the trees which provide us with the air we breathe (especially since the beetle kill is all ready doing that), use it for medicine to help fight disease and cancers and help treat pain without the pain killers killing you.. Come on maybe there are a few other things wrong with the world today than a article about MMJ letting everyone know that it is safe and we have some of the best medicine in the state right here in the valley!

TWill 4 years, 4 months ago

Medicine?

Please, enough with that already.

Shut the door, smoke your dope and shut up about it!

trump_suit 4 years, 4 months ago

Actually I happen to agree with challenge on this article. The City Council forbid the use of Marajuana lingo, pictures or advertising when they approved the business licenses in Steamboat. If they cannot advertise then why is it OK to plaster some full color "BIG OL' BUDS" in the local paper?

I support the legalization in general, but not because I think that drugs need to be celebrated, it is because we should use our resources for treatment and education instead of crime and punishment. We

Come on guys just one of you step up and say you are teaching your kids to smoke pot, I dare you.... The bottom line is that as much as you rave about the benefits of marajuana, each and almost every single one of you hides it from your children and/or your parents.

Duke_bets 4 years, 4 months ago

TWill - Amen! The 'medicine' argument is getting out of hand. I agree.........Shut your door and get high, but quit with the promotions.

Pictures like the one in this article are typically of busts made by the DEA. Now, they seem to be promoting it with every opportunity.

They state that this particular strain helps to relieve pain. Really? I never knew that dope was some sort of anti-inflammatory. I think they meant that it helps a person forget about the pain.

Glenn Little II 4 years, 4 months ago

OK FORGET about the medicine!! FORGET about the pain.. What if it's not medicine but something better than what man can make? I thought it was an HERB or is it a WEED? Maybe it's both who cares if it has any medicinal value or not? What about the rest of the things we can get from this plant. The FOOD, the FUEL, the PAPER that we read this newspaper off of on a daily basis and the clothes you wear on your back? If you got rid of the business that sells pot and make more that sell hemp and fix alot of the PROBLEMS in the world today think about how good of a day tomorrow will be. Not to mention true green jobs to stimulate the entire worlds economy.. If it isn't the cure for cancer this is definitely the answer!

Scott Wedel 4 years, 4 months ago

MJ has been used by millions of people for years. If it was some great drug then we'd have a generation of older pot smokers that are noticeably healthier than the rest of the population. If it was some killer drug then we'd see the devastation caused by crack, meth or heroin.

I note that we all know that alcoholism causes liver problems and cigarettes cause any number of cancers and other problems. Looks like smoking anything is bad for your health, but typical pot smokers smoke far fewer joints than typical smokers smoke cigarettes.

It has been used long enough by enough people that it is obviously enjoyed by many people and is not some passing fad.

It is simply time to stop the insanity of criminalization and add MJ to the list of regulated, not healthy but not that bad, substances.

Troutguy 4 years, 4 months ago

Actually, Duke, pot is has been known as an anti inflammatory for years. One of the cannabinoids in pot is called beta-caryophyllene, or (E)-BCP, and is known to combat inflammation. The oils from cannabis contain up to 35% (E)-BCP.

brian ferguson 4 years, 4 months ago

i was once given celebrex for pain all it did is trick your brain into not feeling the pain it had no real healing properties

i believe its now off the market because it caused heart attacks and other not so fun medical conditions

muck 4 years, 4 months ago

Hey Duke

Before you spout off your worthless retoric, marijuana has been prescribed for ASTHMA for its ain't imflammatory for more than 100 years! Ask local Dr. Smilkstien!!!

Face it duke!!! YOU WOULD LOSE SOMETHING if marijuana was legal!!

YOU SUPPORT RACISIT ACTIVITIES BY SUPPORTING ITS CRIMINALIZATION!! LOOK UP THE FACTS!!

AND FOR ALL YOU FOLKS THAT HAVE TO TELL US THAT YOU DONT CARE....... JUST SHUT UP THEN!!!! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

HAPPY 420 TO MY BROTHERS IN ARMS!!!!!!! OVER GROW THE GOVERNMENT!!

TWill 4 years, 4 months ago

You sound like a dumb stoner, muck.

Do you want a conversation with varying points of view from this forum, or do you and your "brothers in arms" (whatever that's supposed to mean) just want to tell each other how killer the Kandy Kush is this week and all the ways that Kind Bud will create world peace?

I am genuinely curious though, what is the racist component that you and your Chronic cronies keep spouting about this? I'm guessing it has something to do with racial/ cultural stereotypes from the "Reefer Madness" era of the 1930's. Could you please elaborate? I must have been in the back pulling a Binger when you explained that part previously.

Happy 420, bro.

kevin fisher 4 years, 4 months ago

It is of no surprise to me that this article is a hot-button topic, marijuana always seems to sell papers and rile rancor.

We at RMR are proud to have won the inaugural Cannabis Crown and we are as well, obviously, very proud of Ray.

However, it seems that folks like TWill, trump_suit, and others (aich...where are you?), cannot help themselves from making the same points even when the articles' focuses are completely disparate.

So...in order:

TW: Cannabis clearly has medicinal benefits; Academic citations are dry in these "I feel" forums so instead a quote:

"Our American Medical Association (AMA) urges that marijuana's status as a federal Schedule I controlled substance be reviewed with the goal of facilitating the conduct of clinical research and development of cannabinoid-based medicines,"

This after decades of lobbyist-pressured denial.

T_S: I, to a degree, concur with you. But, to reach the goal of mainstream acceptance of MMJ we must, unfortunately, wage a high-profile campaign. Flying under the radar does not work and should not be tolerated. One must stand for what he believes and make no excuses. Ask a homosexual how well served his cause was by keeping it "behind closed doors."

The others: I find it amusing how certain you all are of the productivity/intelligence deficits suffered by marijuana users. I hate to be the bearer of bad news......it's only those "potheads" who would, without cannabis use, just as well be perceived as moronic, layabout, go nowhere, stinky, etc, etc. I personally guarantee, especially in this town, there is someone whom you admire who regularly smokes pot. Remember, correlation does not imply causation.

Finally, indulge me if you would and allow me a modicum of frankness. Pot does not ruin families. Pot is not a cure-all wonder drug. Pot does not lead to harder substances. Pot will not further infiltrate youth culture because of dispensaries. Pot will not solve the country's deficits. Pot is not the answer.

However, the seed from which most erroneous assumptions grow is the truth. If one chooses to find his own truth and is of no harm to another we are obligated to allow him the freedom.

Kevin Fisher RMR

TheBeard 4 years, 4 months ago

Greetings again fellow passionate, compassionate, true-to-their-ideal steamboat residents, I just wanted to share a story of my upbringing with you all. My father was a pharmacist as his father was in Philadelphia starting in the 1960's. He didn't support the use of marijuana as a medicine, believing that it was just a means for the hippies of the counter culture to protest the government and try to find some euphoric escape from the times. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1976. She had her first mastectomy in 1978, and a 2nd in 1980. My father tried administrating to her any and all medicines from schedule five through schedule two narcotics (Basically everything at his disposal as a pharmacist). Nothing he could do was alleviating the pain and nausea affects of the intensive regiments of the new chemotherapies that my mother had to undergo daily to stay alive. Finally, my aunt had my mom try to smoke some pot. The effect was immediate. It was certainly not a cure to the disease(as most medicines aren't), but was undeniably a huge relief of the symptoms suffered. My mother passed away after her fight with cancer in 1981, but there is no doubt that the last 18 months of her life were made much more bearable by the use of marijuana. My father admitted that he had seen the incredible benefits that the medicine of marijuana could offer, but still "stuck by his guns" that pot was still bad because it was illegal and you could get in trouble with the law if you got caught doing it. Since then, I have been an advocate of full legalization and decriminalization. Getting medical usage legalized is just a first step towards acceptance of the substance for what it is. I smoke cigarettes. I drink alcohol. I am overweight. And, I smoke pot. Of all of these things I do, the least destructive habit is the only one that's illegal: smoking pot. I got my medical license in January, and since then, have cut back my cigarette smoking in half, cut back my drinking by a third, and still weigh about the same. Hey-according to Meatloaf, 2 outta three ain't bad! As far as seeing pictures of MJ in the paper - How many articles with pictures of MJ plants have been in the news or on TV where they are getting chopped down, or used as evidence in a bust. We praise the development of a better, more effective Advil, Tylenol or Lipitor pill, and in a state where voters passed a Constitutional Amendment approving the medical use of a plant, the same praise should hold true to that medicine as well. So finally, some congratulations are due to Ray, Kevin, and Ryan for becoming recognized as the best Merck-Sharpe-Dohme Pharmaceutical developers of a new era. Keep up the great work and get Steamboat some recognition in Amsterdam in November!

-The Beard

routter,

Since you asked, I will comment "by invitation." I don't need to hear back any threats against me, my property or my family. I don't want to hear any justifications for unlawful activity trying to convince me that legalizing all drugs is a good idea. So here goes:

I did not make marijuana illegal. The people who did had good reasons at the time, which are still valid. Call them racist if you want. If the cultural mores in a community (meaning a group of people, not a geographic area) are such that some people are allowed to prey on others financially, sexually or through criminal activity with the acquiescence of others or from fear of retribution, it's WRONG. Using intoxicating substances, psychoactive substances, threats, intimidation or indoctrination for the purpose of obtaining sexual favors with no financial responsibility for the offspring or their mothers, no responsibility for sexually transmitted diseases, or for personal consumption simply to make the passage of time less painful to endure is destructive to society. Men in South Africa rape virgins (which means pre-teens since they are the only virgins around) in the belief that having sex with a "pure" female can cure AIDS. From the Nazis to the Hell's Angels to the gangs of rapists roaming in South Africa, violence, intimidation, intoxication and a feeling of entitlement based on nothing more than self-affirmation that it is "the way things are" is a human affliction that has been used to justify victimization of innocents as long as people have been on this planet. Humans are predators. Drugs and alcohol were banned to try to make the predatory nature of humans more manageable. Some people believe that taking away guns will help. Other people believe that taking away guns will only leave the innocent unable to protect themselves from the predators.

The valid objections to legalization of marijuana have nothing to do with denying medication to sick people with a valid need.

Sick people should be able to get marijuana by a doctor’s prescription, like all other narcotics and psychoactive substances, but cannot because the anti-social behavior exhibited by the visible abusers of marijuana has made the general population afraid of it.

If marijuana abusers did not provide visible examples of criminal and anti-social behavior, the rest of the population would not object. Why should they? I buy beer, take it home, have one with dinner, don’t drive, don’t beat up my wife and kids, and don’t give anyone a reason to complain about it.

People who are substance abusers ruin it for people who have a valid need to use marijuana for other legal purposes.

What do you expect the rest of us to do? Allow everybody to have marijuana so that it can benefit the one in 100 who would receive a unique medical benefit from it?

(continued)

kevin fisher 4 years, 4 months ago

Whoa Aich, that is quite a jump. Whatever you smoked this morning would certainly have placed well in Aspen.

What's left of the population that actually objects to the recreational use of marijuana finds the roots of their prohibition in a couple of areas:

1. Leftover false facts, accusations and assumptions centered around a factitious/malicious campaign levied by W.R. Hearst and his cronies. Listen to and read some of the propaganda from the era for a good chuckle and a bit of abhorrence re: racial profiles.

2. Religious strictures to which I and much of this country do not abide.

3. The fear of billions in lost funding for drug control/education/eradication efforts.

Aich, it is the very destructiveness and violence of this society that has led to the evolution of cannabinoid receptors in the pleasure sensing areas of our brain. Being human is a very physically and mentally exhausting endeavor. Nature has seen fit, indeed seen evolutionary advantage, in allowing homo sapiens to take a "break" from the rigors of life with the help of a fairly benign substance, cannabis.

Alcohol, ingested in excess has certainly proven to be one of humankinds great banes. Remember though, it is also an invention of man- NOT a naturally occurring substance. It is factless and irresponsible to correlate societies ills to the use of cannabis. It is people like you, Aich, who inflict untold damage on our population by attributing violent, anti-social, misogynistic, behavior to factors other than the base cause.

Wake up.

aichempty 4 years, 4 months ago

(continued) One of the posts above is a perfect example of the root problem; some people are obsessed with shoving stuff into their bodies for the pleasure it brings them, and some of those people become addicted and lose control.

Did you happen to see the story a few days ago about the young man and woman who attacked the same police officer in two unrelated incidents in a single day? Did you see the photos? What is the incentive of responsible, self-supporting people to provide access to drugs for people like those two?

Would you withhold marijuana from someone who you were CERTAIN was going to drive while under its influence for solely recreational purposes? Do you cop out by saying, “People should be allowed to do what they want to do, and then to suffer the consequences if they do something that hurts someone else?”

Nobody ever died from marijuana? Give me a break. We had a guy die around here from cooking French fries while drunk, if not intoxicated on multiple substances.

Just last night, I had the experience of dealing with a family member who took a lawfully prescribed dosage of medication for a medical condition (result of skeletal trauma from an accident) and ended up with the spins, fell while trying to get to the bathroom, babbled for hours over deep-seated fears left over from childhood trauma, and woke up this morning bright and fresh with no memory of anything that happened last night. People who escape into drug-induced euphoria don’t remember what they did under the influence. Those of us who observe it do remember. This includes those of us who have observed the effects of marijuana on friends, family members, employees, coworkers and strangers. Wanna know the word we use to describe it.

Disgusting.

A person high on marijuana is just as disgusting as a drunk, a junkie or any other anti-social affliction you want to consider. Why is it that people group together to use these substances? BECAUSE THEY DON’T NOTICE HOW DISGUSTING IT IS WHEN EVERYBODY IS STONED.

Just so you understand what I’m saying, I’m saying that a bunch of guys drunk on too much beer at a football game are just as disgusting as a bunch of teenagers stoned on pot. A guy shooting heroin into his veins is just as bad as a drunk or a stoner. The reports in the Pilot and Today about intoxicated people being picked up off the street and taken to detox are proof that we already have enough problems in this state and town and county without adding legalized marijuana to the mix.

And NONE OF THIS has ANYTHING to do with prohibiting legal use of marijuana for a bona-fide medical need.

(continued)

Ryan Fisher 4 years, 4 months ago

Aich, I too am baffled at your gargantuan leap of faith...from South African villagers raping children to the legalization of pot in the USA. Wow! I have generally assumed you were a thoughtful person, based on your past posts regarding this topic. Pardon my pot parlance, but whoa man, you are WAY out there! You actually give some reasoning FOR the legalization of marijuana with the line "I buy beer, take it home, have one with dinner, don’t drive, don’t beat up my wife and kids, and don’t give anyone a reason to complain about it." You are a responsible adult; you may enjoy yourself.

But to say that somehow pot causes violent, entitled behavior in men in South Africa is like saying that because you can responsibly enjoy beer, you will cause a train to bring cold weather and bikini clad models to your location to help you party down.

Did you forget your gingko this morning? Of all the societal ills that these mysterious Africans experience, pot is the the one that you choose to highlight? You have made it impossible to argue with you; your argument is so illogical.

I think you missed the statement "correlation does not imply causation." You seem to be working backwards from the standpoint that marijuana is bad because you have heard of bad people using it. Using this argument, you are a rapist too.

Like Routter said, "WAKE UP"

Cooke 4 years, 4 months ago

It seems to me that there is some really hard evidence to back up some of the medical claims here. I am not a medical professional, I don't take PEOPLE WHO WRITE IN ALL CAPS AND USE LOTS OF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TO MAKE A POINT seriously, and I frankly don't have enough time to read through all the medical journals and position papers.

However, I would like to make a point. If MMJ is ever to being taken seriously, it needs to be prescribed and handled professionally. I don't think that many would argue that getting a green card from a few less-than-scrupulous doctors is way too easy. When you look at the demographics of those who have cards (I believe the overwhelming majority is the 18-30 year old male) it doesn't carry an air of legitimacy.

It seems to me that these doctors who do the majority of the prescribing (I have heard rumor that there are two doctors who have written 80%) are the ones doing the most damage to the credibility of the MMJ movement.

Look at the "Get Legal" ad in the print version of The Pilot yesterday. How does a "satisfaction guaranteed" $80 same day doctor appointment make MMJ seem like anything more than a legal means to get stoned?

(continued)

Your contest and fanciful names for cannabis plants are not doing anything to support your cause. When’s the last time you heard of a taste test for cough medicine?

You guys are tipping your hand that this is all about getting high. Using the plight of a few people who can actually benefit from marijuana as your poster children while having a marijuana fair is despicable.

I’m sure that all your marijuanabees are going to denounce me as a bigot and an intolerant geezer who’s out of touch with reality.

What if I’m the one who’s in touch with reality?

I honestly have no beef at all with people who use marijuana for valid medical reasons.

I wouldn’t really care if people grew and used pot in their own homes as long as they left me out of it.

The thing I care about is meeting a logging truck on the wrong side of the centerline on CR-129 because the driver is either under the influence of, or in withdrawal from, an intoxicating substance.

We don’t need a war on drugs. We need people who are responsible and honest who can eliminate the need for a war on drugs. The problem is that the drugs control the minds of the people who use them, same as alcohol or sex addiction or any other so-called “illness” that befalls weak-minded human beings.

I’m going to leave you with an observation that you might find important someday soon.

Having public events featuring “legal” marijuana is an invitation for the DEA and IRS to take names, take photographs, observe vehicle tag numbers, etc. Medical pot has not always been legal, and I think you guys admit openly that you didn’t start growing and selling it only after it was legal for medicinal purposes in Colorado. Outlandish public displays such as the one reported in the Pilot will not escape the notice of law-enforcement agencies, and that includes tax collectors.

The tax on unlawfully obtained income is due in the year it was earned. Tax liens can be placed on property and assets without a judicial proceeding. If even one ounce of your medical pot finds its way to an unlawful user and generates income for you in the process, then every cent you earn can be confiscated as proceeds of racketeering.

A case could be made under federal law for even the “legal” sales in Colorado. The IRS has a criminal investigation division dedicated to financial crimes of this sort. Lawfully obtained money and assets, including property, which are commingled with the proceeds of unlawful activity are subject to confiscation; that’s a tax rate of 100%.

If you think you’re in the clear, think again. Open displays and publicity of the sort given by the Pilot may very well blow up in your faces, because your reliance on medical marijuana as a “legal” substance here in the Square State does not provide immunity from prior year tax liabilities or penalties for trafficking under federal law.

But, obviously, all you marijuanabees know best, so good luck.

Peace.

aichempty 4 years, 4 months ago

I stayed out of it until routter asked.

Muck claims that marijuana was banned by racists. He's right. The old white guys in charge back then tried to cure a disconnect in cultural values by banning substances which somehow "empowered" minorities to get uppity. My point was that cultural differences still exist, and like it or not, drug abuse is not helping anybody of any race or ethnic background. Check the news from Detroit and Flint, Michigan, and tell me that separations along the lines of socio-economic status and race and drug abuse don't overlap. I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying that people react to what they see, and when drug abuse has a recognizable face, people who reject a drug culture infused with violence, poverty, abuse, neglect of children and all the rest have a hard time separating drugs from the other issues. Drugs get part of the bad rap from factors which may have nothing to do with drug use/abuse, but happen to coexist.

I ain't sayin' that smoking pot causes violent, antisocial behavior. I'm saying that people who observe violent, anti-social behavior and see that pot and other drugs are culturally associated with it don't make that distinction. The general public does not dissect every atrocity to find the underlying cause. They see violence, criminal activity, human abuses of all sorts, poverty, violence and drugs and all those individual things become part of a whole that the pro-marijuana community is not doing ANYTHING at all to stop. Legal pot for emotionally damaged white boys is not a very sympathetic cause when compared to what the rest of the country sees in their own states and communities.

Video of a soldier shooting a woman in the head in Afghanistan is one thing. Knowing that she had 20 pounds of C-4 and a detonator strapped to her body is another. Some people only see the gun.

When people all over this country see crime, violence, poverty, abuse and drugs on TV news every day, why would you not expect them to assume that drugs are not simply a part of the whole picture? So, to a great many people, any street drug is every street drug, peace-loving hippie types notwithstanding.

I don't think that any one of you around here is a danger to me, except for the obvious fact that some people smoke pot and then drive. No different from alcohol. I do think that some kid stealing money to buy drugs, pulling off a 2 AM home invasion or robbing a bank is a danger to me and my loved ones living in other places.

I'm pretty dadgum sure that the kids who were drinking and smoking pot who ran off the road and hit a tree might have been better off without the pot I know it's a silly idea, but it might be true. Try convincing their parents, grand parents, aunts, uncles and friends that pot did not harm them.

Are the trees any softer when you hit them after smoking legally obtained pot?

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 4 months ago

Aich- Cough syrup? Bad point to make. Although there doesn't seem to be any taste test I've ever heard of, cough syrup is made in a variety of flavors. If taste wasn't a concern, there would only be 1 flavor. Almost any medicine that is not in pill form has multiple flavors and yes, even different strenghts. (Motrin can average 200-250mg tablets OTC, right?)

As for whether who has died from alcohol or pot, keep in mind that it's about the drug/drink itself when talked about. People can die from just drinking too much alcohol & doing basically nothing else. A drunk/stoned driving death can be a result of alcohol or pot, but those things didn't actually kill. They caused an altered state of mind that contributed to the driving death.

Ask yourself or even research it yourself: How many times have you heard of someone drinking themselves to death thru alcohol poisoning in 1 instance of drinking (not over a lifetime) compared to how many people have smoked enough pot to kill them in 1 sitting (not over a lifetime).

So how many people have died from pot?

trump_suit 4 years, 4 months ago

Aich = 2x4 on this issue. Whether he reads any of this information available or not, it is his stated opinion that Marajuana is for losers and therefore anyone who uses marajuana is a loser.

Did I miss anything there Aich?

oldskoolstmbt 4 years, 4 months ago

aich~ you wrote:"Nobody ever died from marijuana? Give me a break. We had a guy die around here from cooking French fries while drunk, if not intoxicated on multiple substances"....show some respect, that GUY was somebody's son, brother and friend. P.S. ~ how's the view today from your ivory tower?

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 4 months ago

Also, where the heck is JACK FM?? It's gone back to The Mountain KIDN & playing some stuff I sure don't recognize. Dang it! ZRock doesn't play as much of a new mix in with the old. I still like ZRock, but...

Somebody start a station that play nothing but Rock from the 50's-early 90's. You have a very large catalog of music to pick from!

aichempty 4 years, 4 months ago

I was invited/challenged to join this discussion by one of the principals.

If you don't want to hear anything else from me, don't address your comments to me.

oldskoolstmbt 4 years, 4 months ago

aich~ your right, being invited/challenged is a license to be disrespectful, my apologies.

Glenn Little II 4 years, 4 months ago

Aich~ You sound like a good candidate for a mental health review. Some of the things you wrote I could only come up with if I was on serious drugs, gone mentally insane on cough syrup or on a steroid infused power trip.. Are you really sure that the IRS can even keep track of the millions of pounds of weed that are being sold? Would they even care if someone did not pay some taxes since the people who are paying taxes are probably blowing them away with the numbers that are coming in from this green rush? If they want to bust someone not paying taxes maybe they should bust some illegal immigrants! Just imagine how much tax revenue would be created if we could grow hemp crops for paper, fuel, and food as well. This might affect you directly if you realized how many synthetic products that surround you and your family are the things that keep destroying the earth! If you have any common sense maybe you could come up with as simple of a solution to help instead of get in the way. I feel really sorry for you and the way you suffer thinking as hard as possible of the most difficult ways to stop people from supporting MARIJUANA!!! Go RMR it's your birthday! Ain't nobody gonna say no way! This aich dude sounds so gay! LOL

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

Aich- Now I'm sure of it. You HAVE to be a part of our legal system somewhere. That, or you're a preacher somewhere. But I doubt that because you usually keep the good lord out of your comments. Anyway, you're frigin' delusional my friend. Your version of reality is such a diluted version of the one that the rest of us live in, that you might as well change your name to Willy Wonka. What you really need is a straight jacket, 4 padded walls and the Disney channel.

freerider 4 years, 4 months ago

AICH ...Give it rest ...nobody here cares what you think....!!!!

You said your only here because you were asked ...ok I'm asking you to go away !!!

YOU SOUND LIKE A FASCIST !!!

Haven't you noticed your in the minority

Routt county is a lot smarter than you give us stoners credit for

I'm smarter than you , I have a hotter girlfrined than you and I have more money than you ...

That's just gotta piss you off that some pot head is happy and is doing better than you

Most of all I have a lot more fun that you....I'm off to MAUI see ya

Have fun wasting your time here !!!!!!!!

Ski free,

The IRS can look at what you have been spending (rent, cars, mortgage, health insurance, utilities) what you get in income from documented sources (W-2s, 1099s) and figure out if you're getting income that you're not claiming. It's not that hard to do, and the burden of proof lies with the taxpayer, not the IRS. Taxpayers are required to keep records. There are many cases in American justice where tax evasion regarding illegal income was the way they put the criminal away. Al Capone was one of the first and most frequently cited examples of this. They put him away for not paying taxes on income from the booze he sold. There are many more recent cases if you care to research them. So, if someone has been making money from illegal pot sales prior to the MMJ law and dispensary system, calling attention to themselves by having a fair for pot growers is not a very smart thing to do, tax wise. There's no statute of limitations on tax evasion.

If you will all re-read my posts you will find that I did not say anything against MMJ, dispensaries or pot smokers. I merely pointed out that people who don't support legalization have a different point of view, and that's what you have to deal with unless you can change the stereotypes associated with drug abuse.

The rest of the stuff addressed to me is mud-slinging, so I won't bother to answer, except the following.

Where is the response from routter? My guess is he's dealing with some unpleasant realities he didn't think of before, and would not have known about if I hadn't warned him. I did the dude a favor, and this is what I get back?

No, I think you can thank the Pilot for the front-page publicity when the IRS shows up to look at the books.

What's that old saying about giving a man enough rope?

kevin fisher 4 years, 4 months ago

Alright Aich...last one. I have not replied as I had not the time; My thirteen-hour workday yesterday impinged upon my free time.

Firstly, I neither consume cannabis while driving nor endorse my patients doing so. That having been written please read:

Your claims of a cannabis-intoxicated individuals being serious threats to life and limb when behind the wheel are just not corroborated by the science. Take note that in no instance was any driver's impairment equal to or greater than that of the legal threshold for blood alcohol content. That includes the study sample dosed at the equivalent THC levels contained in three joints. Aich- as you are not a cannabis user I'll inform you that it is tough enough to get through one joint when sharing with three people let alone consuming three by oneself.

You see, you are making my point for me when discussing public perception. This is why we, at RMR, are vociferous about our cause. A lion's share of the assumptions held by non-users vis a vis cannabis are completely tangential to the facts.

Now, so far as the IRS goes: This is area in which one of the strongest arguments for the legalization of cannabis (both medicinally and recreationally) can be made. We pay our taxes. City sales taxes, county sales taxes, state sales taxes, state income taxes and federal income taxes total in the five figures monthly for RMR. The total for the black market is, well, zero. When crunching the numbers the other day, our conservative national estimate of the actual realized total annual economic impact of the legalization of cannabis came to the neighborhood of 150-250bn dollars. This number does not even take into account cost savings attributable to the cessation of cannabis related law enforcement and the imprisonment said violators.

So, bottom line, Aich. Your uninformed, prejudicial, anecdotal assumptions regarding cannabis and its users are, unfortunately, still shared by many. It rests upon my shoulders and those of the learned to change these views and help to create a better understanding of the drug. We certainly can't get to everyone, but 51% will do just fine by me.

Oh, by the way- You sir, have often cited your tenure in the staffing industry as the source for first-hand knowledge re: the unsuitability of pot-smoking prospectives. Maybe you'd like to discuss that with a major league-toking acquaintance of mine who can claim the title of youngest, most quickly promoted, senior executive at a little staffing company you may of heard about- Career Builder.

dave reynolds 4 years, 4 months ago

these guys been growing awhile I'll bet..congrats keep up the good work

aichempty 4 years, 4 months ago

Your "vociferous" defense of mmj immediately launches into a discussion of general use for recreational purposes.

How much "Kandy Kush" can a person consume and still drive safely? Should I assume you've done the lab work on that?

Do you regularly convene a group of three mmj patients to medicate together? Sounds like that may be part of your "protocol."

It's common knowledge that most Colorado mmj users are young males.

Where are the women in their lives? How do they feel about mmj use?

Is a mmj patient a "good catch" for a gal lookin' to settle down and start up a family?

I'm not going to engage any of you any further in this thread. I'd like to correlate mmj use with visits to Maui and other goings-on at that tropical paradise, but anyone with a working frontal brain and access to Google should be able to put 2 and 2 together. They "key word" appears in your earlier post.

Now I get it.

Pot does not "cure" the condition; it just makes you feel better about having it.

dave reynolds 4 years, 4 months ago

looks like they have been sampling thier own product..legally of course

bandmama 4 years, 4 months ago

not even wanting to get into a battle of sanity with aich, but just have to say, yes aich, you have insulted many and if you fail to recognize that you have.....

Glenn Little II 4 years, 4 months ago

Wow he is obviously someone who has some type of grudge against people who love to succeed in life.. Maybe Aich is one of those auditors with a gun! lol He does know about paying taxes and sounds like he has some military knowledge as well. Have you heard about the auditors with guns Aich? Maybe he is excited to see more people and money spent arresting people and put into the legal system. It's like the sheriff in the Disney movie robin hood he much watch it with his kids.

jmm761 4 years, 4 months ago

I can not believe the ignorant anti-marijuana comments. I habitually smoked marijuana as a teenager through my mid twenties, it was not the gateway to hard drugs as I have never done ANY OF THEM, I can not even take pain killers and rarely drink. I was in a lot of pain from surgery and emotionally it was a hard time in my life. I just slowly stopped one day, because I didn't need it anymore. The purpose of "MEDICAL MARIJUANA" is to decriminalize it while keeping it out of the hands of our youth. If you know any drug dealers in town, they will tell you that the movement is succeeding. The prices have dropped so much that there is an over abundance and because of that, the trafficking has nearly ceased in States like California and Colorado. If you speak to older people who were alive during the prohibition they will tell you it was the same fight then, organized crime families became wealthier, crime grew and the government made nothing. If we really want to put our energy into something more beneficial like say meth use, tobacco abuse, pain killer abuse, cocaine abuse and emotionally ill people that we turn a blind eye to in Steamboat, then maybe we could get somewhere! I think you would find many doctors, lawyers, teachers, politicians, small business owners, and other influential people in this town that do smoke marijuana on occasion or daily. The registered users has surpassed 150,000 in Colorado alone. The state can not even keep up with the new business licenses or registered card applicants. There is a reason, the crime in Mexico and the drug cartels has gone to new heights, no demand. Wake up, people who smoke pot will still smoke pot, why not make money on taxation and fees?

JJ Southard 4 years, 4 months ago

"We pay our taxes. City sales taxes, county sales taxes, state sales taxes, state income taxes and federal income taxes total in the five figures monthly for RMR."

.....And you can double that for the co-op too..... and we're non-profit... meaning even more $$$ will soon be donated directly to this fine community from us.....

Holy crap this comment section is fantastic entertainment. :) mmmmm...fullmelt... :)

Aich-

Exactly what kinds of medicine(s) did you have in mind that do actually "cure" whatever ailment for which they are intended? Why do "medicines," the likes of Tylenol, Aspirin and Ibuprofen, generally get consumed? Because they offer claims of pain relief. More often than not, they deliver*. To a degree. They are processed, man-made chemical cocktails that were designed to "doop" your body into not feeling as much pain. However, they do not necessarily deal with the root cause of the pain, whatever it may be. Cannabis, at least medically speaking, also falls into the category of "pain reliever." You've never heard a valid claim that cannabis will; heal broken bones quicker, stop heart attacks cold in their tracks, reverse the lasting effects of a stroke, un-clot your arteries, put lead back in your pencil, or even cure any of the diseases/ailments that may be at the root of the pain. People choose cannabis for pain relief because it is an un-altered, naturally occurring plant that has THOUSANDS of years of documented beneficial use across the globe.

And I guess that side effects are, really, in the eye of the inflicted. The side effect I suffer from drinking a glass of water is usually(going down the wrong pipe, not included) no more harsh than a quenching of my thirst and an eventual trip to the head(bathroom, for the non-nautical of you out there). That being said, many people are finding it harder and harder to dive right in to pharmaceuticals these days. But can you really blame them? We've all heard/seen the legal-ese laundry list of side effects that are sped through every time a new drug gets launched from your favorite pharmaceutical company. As far as pain/symptom relief goes, I'll leave the light work(and even some of the heavy lifting) to cannabis.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

Slight correction....cannabis is an anti-inflammatory. Ergo(always love a chance to use that one), many arthritis sufferers have found a glorious cure for their swollen joints and limited mobility by using cannabis, in one form or another. Also, cannabis has been documented as being able to eliminate/destroy/vanquish certain skin cancers from the human body. Of coarse, if you're into the propaganda and lies, you can always bury your head in the sand and ignore the reality that envelopes you.

kathy foos 4 years, 4 months ago

Steamboat Champions,If they win in Amsterdam , will they get a medal and homecoming parade?

aichempty 4 years, 4 months ago

Oh, you GUYS! How can I resist?

oldskool . . . make up your mind. Wanna talk about personal responsibility or not? It may be necessary to use some examples which you apparently find offensive.

MMJ,

There are topical creams which can cure some skin cancers.

Obviously, most pharmaceuticals are derived from plant or animal life. Why do you think people are searching for new forms of venomous animals in the tropical oceans instead of making $#!+ up in the lab and trying it out?

JMM spoke the truest statement to come out of this discussion so far. He just stopped using marijuana habitually one day because he didn't need it anymore.

Some people don't appear to be able to do that, even when they get better. JMM also mentioned the "emotionally ill" people around town.

Marijuana is often listed as a medication for "emotional" conditions. So are getting up off the couch, doing something, and sucking it up. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make the correlation between kids who are bullied, kids who are weak, kids who are gay, and kids who use pot to feel better about their situation. Boot camp is a great cure for self pity. Accomplishing something is a great boost to self esteem. Bringing home a paycheck and living on it is the ultimate freedom machine.

I was passing through a rural town in the southeast on a Friday night, and stopped for gas at a convenience store. People were coming in, cashing their paychecks from the chicken processing plant, buying money orders to pay their bills and picking up cases of cheap beer to combine with pot for the weekend. It's a dadgum industry.

How is our enlightened society supposed to deal with people who migrate to such a low level of existence because chemical relief is just a puff away? That's the other side of the coin that the pro-pot community ignores in this debate. The combination with alcohol and other street drugs to enhance the effects of intoxication is not only common, but is the rule in certain communities and socio-economic strata.

So, on the one hand we have white boys with back pain and immature egos who require marijuana to exist and have found a way to profit from it thanks to the medical marijuana laws. On the other, we have poor minorities who already suffer from a lack of parental involvement, lack of education, lack of a view of the world that includes the hard work necessary to succeed economically, and we're supposed to feed that human tragedy legalized pot to accelerate their slide into a hopeless existence and early death? Oh, and along the way, comes obesity, diabetes, cancer, disability, higher expenditures for health care and social programs including direct financial support.

(cont)

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

So...cannabis users are just weak, gay, pessimists that were bullied in school?

This keeps getting better and better. There's so much about us that I didn't know!

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

Oh, and P.S. .....Boot camp was a breeze. High school wrestling(coached by a former Marine, Force Recon) was exponentially more physically challenging.

(cont)

If you make pot legally available to people over 21 in all 50 states, you will create a market for kids to purchase it from adults, just as they do now with booze, and it will be available in every convenience store. Kids who leave high school still illiterate (and there are plenty of them) will have no problem buying legally and reselling to minors at marked-up prices to make a living. They'll have territories, there will be violence, and it will just be one more impediment to success and self-support in the most vulnerable communities.

If people in Routt County were sticking up the liquor store, shooting gang rivals and ransacking homes while the owners are away at work, you might have a better idea of how things are in the rest of the country. Kids in other states grow up EXPECTING to go to jail sooner or later, don't really consider the life-and-death implications of violence, and live like it's only a matter of time until they are killed or kill someone and go to jail. It's all they have to look forward to,and they don't care. Maybe that's because marijuana helps them deal with emotional distress . . .so YEAH! Let's give it to them and speed the process along.

My point in all of this is that what's right for responsible adults is not necessarily beneficial for the rest of society, including the irresponsible adults.

If adults want pot legalized for all, then they had better take on the responsibility of helping to enforce the laws against distributing it to minors. That won't happen. Too many people have retreated into their own little worlds and don't care what happens to anyone else until it happens to them.

There is no reason whatsoever to assume that people who have been breaking the law all their lives in order to obtain marijuana will suddenly change and help to enforce the rules against distribution to minors.

There is no reason whatsoever to assume that people in other areas will not steal legal pot from authorized distributors and sell it to kids on the black market.

A medically beneficial substance needs to be grown, processed, distributed and prescribed through controlled channels. It needs to be at least as controlled as distilled spirits just to make sure that it's sorta hard to steal from the lawful producer.

It's going to be interesting to see how this all turns out over the next few years, but honestly, the good that will come from it in the long run won't make up for the harm, and ten years from now it will prove to have been a mistake, just like it was when the drinking age was lowered to 18.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

That's it. Steamboat needs a canna-fest! If put together correctly, we might have a reasonably feasible solution for bringing more people into town in the off-season.

TWill 4 years, 4 months ago

I think you're onto something yvb & mmj. That could certainly fill the void of Triple Crown and dwindling non-winter tourists.

If there's enough Kandy Kush to go around, nobody will complain about the road construction, traffic, tubers in the river, rodeo dust, etc. They wouldn't notice it anyway.

You need to present this to the Chamber ASAP!

oldskoolstmbt 4 years, 4 months ago

aich~ it's the TONE of disregard that you wrote about a GUY (he has a name, it was david) died while cooking french fries..blah, blah, blah....and i would love to talk about personal responsibility, but not with a person using disrespectful examples (which by the way didn't even support your first sentence ie: no one ever died from mj?...the only proof from the toxicology reports was he used alcohol and cocaine at the time of his death...no proof he used mj that night...so let's hear some REAL examples of people dying from this silly little plant, if you can do it tastefully.

TWill 4 years, 4 months ago

That GUY, david, was exactly the scenario that aich is talking about. No, mj didn't kill him. But, as you just acknowledged, there was evidence of alcohol and drug use that not so indirectly lead to the end result. What other contibuitions did he make that are not consistent with what aich has been saying in general terms?

MJ will not kill you. But it is, very often, a supporting ingredient in a cocktail of irresponsibilty that gets people in trouble, hurt or killed.

oldskoolstmbt 4 years, 4 months ago

twill~ no other contributions, just this disrespectful example which was to support his opening sentence of that paragraph...i don't go near his judgemental blubbering. prove the (very often) SUPPORTING ingredient theory....or at least elaborate ....glad you got aich's back

oldskool,

When a person falls victim to substance abuse and their friends and family either cannot help them, or don't try, things like this happen.

Why was David living in a illegal apartment? Why didn't he install his own smoke detector? Why didn't a neighbor complain about the illegal apartment earlier?

Lots of "what ifs?" to be considered here.

I think the core of the controversy is that we have a community of people who believe that substance abuse is a right and a way of life not only to be lived, but to be pursued for its own sake. To people who are sober and law-abiding, that's just a dumb way to live. I suppose the feeling is also held about us by the people who live to abuse.

Drug abuse is an expensive and completely wasteful way of life. It doesn't do anything to build up anybody. It feeds on the worst aspects of human nature and biology.

MMJ has his reasons for using the stuff, and plenty of stories about how the world has done him wrong. He might be able to solve some of it himself without pot, but maybe not.

My objection to substance abuse is really nothing but a public health concern. Millions suffer from it, and legalizing the drugs won't cure them.

By the way, MMJ, I couldn't get into the expo. I don't have a card, and for now don't have any condition that would justify asking for one.

I've tried running a business around here that depends on the labor of drug addicts and alcoholics, and it's not worth it. Taking a risk when the only choice for labor is drug-impaired or illegal employees is not worth it. All you folks who think marijuana is not hurting anyone need to look around at the growing number of empty dwellings and falling number of jobs in this state. Employers who need reliable help are not going to move in and create jobs.

I haven't looked at the employment statistics in the states which have mmj, but that might be worth the effort some afternoon when there's nothing better to do. I do know that states with high workmens comp numbers are losing jobs, and those jobs are moving to more "business-friendly" states. Like it or not, drug use is a part of the picture. Everybody in 14 states cannot live by selling medical marijuana to everybody else, and sooner or later it's going to catch up with Colorado and Steamboat in particular.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 4 months ago

Reading this whole thread is incredibly depressing. Approaching 100 posts and endless hours spent composing posts that is dominated by two sides yelling at each other. There is no interest in finding common ground, as the thread continues the two sides become more absolute. It is like some self contained universe of mutual rage. Why does it matter to any of you to continue this?

It is so pathetic because so many others have been able to find common ground. California has a legalization bill that treats mj like alcohol - something that can be abused, something that some use without harmful effects, and most importantly, something which prohibition fundamentally failed and was a boon to criminal organizations while failing to limit availability.

Scott,

California? You think they have done something "good?" Let me tell you about California.

They are bankrupt. They have high taxes. They are not friendly to business. They have lost tons of jobs because businesses have moved to other states to escape California's business climate. They have terrible energy prices because they buy electricity from out of state to avoid the emissions produced by generation. Their workmens comp policies encourage fraud and malingering. Lost days at U S government facilities like shipyards and heavy equipment repair depots are the highest in the country.

Michigan and Connecticut have similar problems. If you take people in California, Michigan and Connecticut doing identical work to that done at facilities in Texas, Alabama and Georgia, the contrast is striking, and it's due entirely to people capitalizing on more liberal wokmens comp policies in MI, CT and CA.

Market pressure will ultimately decide the value of labor. Market value is a function of what you pay for what you get in return. We're going to see business leaving the states that have the less productive workers and going to places where the pickings are better. I think you're going to find that the more marijunana friendly the state becomes, the less productive its workers will be and the fewer good jobs will be created or sustained there.

Hyundai just opened a new assembly plant in West Point, Georgia. Ford closed an assembly plant in Atlanta, Georgia a year or so ago. Why the difference? Workforce issues. Oh, did you notice that assembly plants in Michigan have been closing at a fearsome rate? Wanna guess why? Remermber what I wrote above?

Unfortunately, work ethic, productivity, personal responsibility and Bible belt conservative values are good for business. Uh, oh . . .

So, until California figures out how to make money magically appear to fund everybody's drug habit, they are not the best example to use. If Colorado goes the same way, and it's looking like that could happen, everybody will be able to smoke pot and nobody will have a job. That's sort of a middle ground, isn't it?

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

Middle ground? Where's the effing middle ground been for the past 70 years of drug prohibition? In front of the judge, or in jail I guess.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

or, OR....maybe the middle ground is somewhere between you the fully armed DEA agents that violate your rights? I knew there was a place I haven't looked yet!

MMJ,

Anytime anyone suggests a huge change in a government policy that's going to have wide-ranging and unpredictable effects on society, there is going to be opposition. The Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 1960s was met with violent resistance. Many wrongs were righted. It was a good thing to do, and a morally right thing to do. However, there were unpredictable negative results of trying to do the right thing.

Forced mixing of diverse cultures led to violence. Some schools which had sent over 90% of their entering Freshman classes on to college saw graduation rates drop below 60%.

Separate but equal was wrong. Integrated and inferior also turned out to be wrong, but the social engineers honestly believed that equal education and equal opportunity would raise everyone up. Didn't happen. Some were raised up, and some were brought down. Forty years after full integration of schools we still find minority kids, second-generation descendants of kids who never attended an integrated school, not getting a decent education and not enjoying equal economic opportunities. What do you do in a school where making good grades is seen as "acting white?"

Don't get me wrong. Things are far better today than 50 years ago. Everyone deserves equal status and equal opportunity in our society. Forcing people to advance just turned out to be something that was not possible in the short term (the past 40 years).

The differences are not racial. They are cultural. They are a matter of choice in many cases, and people have the right to make those choices.

The pro pot people (P^3 I'll call them from now on) think they know how everything will turn out if the rest of us would only agree to legalize pot for responsible adults.

Producing and selling alcohol is a highly regulated business. Nobody goes out and steals grain and hops growing in the fields to make beer. We don't hear about massive thefts of grapes by people who want to make wine. Distilled spirits (hard liquor) still can't be made legally without a permit and inspections of the production facilities, including farm fuel production operations. Marijuana, however, is a cash crop in its natural state which anyone can steal and consume. Even tobacco requires curing and processing steps that make it easier to buy the commercial product than to grow your own or steal it.

If pot is legalized, and the only thing you have to do to use it legally is pay for it, that provides an incentive for marijuana rustlers to raid commercial growing operations, process it, bag it up, and sell it for a profit. All those DEA agents can stay busy making sure that commercially grown pot is getting into the system legally (to tax it) and not falling into the hands of minors.

(cont)

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

"We don't hear about massive thefts of grapes by people who want to make wine."

Well, no s#!+ Sherlock! That's because its legal. People don't need to do ridiculous things to get alcohol because it's perfectly legal for them to run down to the corner store and pick from a veritable armada of alcoholic choices. If cannabis users had the option of legally purchasing their cannabis from a licensed, tax-paying, authorized distributor of it, why in the hell would they ever put their freedom in jeopardy by robbing or stealing their cannabis? Like most alcohol users, they would choose to be a law abiding citizen and keep their freedom.

(cont)

Lots of people can get drunk as skunks on $20 worth of cheap beer and stay that way for a couple of days. That's who will want to buy marijuana to go along with it. The mass market will drive the demand and set the price. Legalization could benefit consumers in Colorado, but might put local growers out of business.

Back east, there are still a few bootleggers in business. They sell in dry counties and to underage consumers. They do this by having "contacts" in the local law enforcement communities who will look the other way as long as agreements are followed. Relatives of sheriffs and judges can do this kind of thing for years without getting caught as long a federal agents don't get involved. The problem is that with legal booze for sale nearby (even in dry counties) bootlegging is not an occupation that employs a lot of people.

So, now, flash forward to a case where Kalifornia Kandy Kush is for sale in 7-11 to adults and who do local growers have left to buy what they produce? Kids who can't get a friend to buy the legal stuff for them.

If locals were willing to pay more for locally grown pot, it would be the ONLY thing that Steamboat locals are willing to pay more for, even if it's perceived to be "better."

Things would certainly change if pot was legal, but maybe not in a way that you would like. We won't know until the unexpected happens, and by then, it will be too late to stop.

Would you accept a system where you can buy legal pot as long as you produce a drivers license (or government ID) and have a daily limit? This is how they sell Sudafed in some states to deter meth production.

I suspect that a lot of people think legalization and taxation would solve everything, but in reality it would probably result in more government scrutiny and greater penalties under the tax code than simple possession of pot carries today. Legalization brings things into the arena where a bureaucrat can levy a fine without a judicial proceeding.

A friend in Maryland bought a case of fine wine through a D.C. liquor store located about one block over the state line. He was stopped at the state line by Maryland revenue agents who observed him leaving the store, ticketed, and fined $100 for bringing untaxed wine into the state. Legalization gives the government a stake in the profits, so make sure that's what you want.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

That's it! Your new name should be Captain Speculation.

MMJ,

I spent several years of my life as part of a large team of people charged with speculating about what would happen if other events happened, like, if the Former Soviet Union had invaded Germany, for example. Out of this process came the Apache helicopter and the Stealth Fighter to counter the numerically superior Warsaw Pact forces. It worked.

Hey, I caught the piece on CNN this morning showing the haze of marijuana smoke over the gathering in Denver last Tuesday.

Wow.

Let's just say that I would never walk into a business and deal with a person who appeared as some of those folks did on camera.

I think Colorado had better be careful. There are other places to ski in North America.

There are a lot of people in this country whose jobs are to look at the facts and speculate about what could happen next. Not "will happen," but, "could happen." Business decisions are made every day, and in today's climate, the conservative decisions are being made.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens, but if people continue to witness displays like that one on TV, I would not expect to see businesses flocking into Colorado to create new jobs. I'll bet the value of real estate in Denver fell 5% today.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

News flash Mr. Current events; real estate values continue to suck in most places. You know what else? It's got nothing to do with cannabis. Nice try though. I sure hope you're retired because your speculation "skills" are weak, at best.

Anyone can be made to look a fool on TV. I'm sure you've caught some of the media coverage of the Tea Party gatherings. I'm sure that there's plenty of brilliant people at these gatherings but if the attending media entity wants to portray them poorly, all they have to do is find a handful of the ignorant(not stupid) ones to document and pull quotes from. As a matter of fact, I think this is standard operating procedure at a network or two.

trump_suit 4 years, 4 months ago

Aich - I can pretty much guarantee you that anybody growing pot in Colorado under lights, or outdoors during our short growing season, will not be able to compete with producers like those in northern California. Ever notice that successful agricultural operations go where the climate suits the plants?"

Once again you open your mouth and prove beyond all doubt that you do not know what you are talking about. If you knew much of anything about Marajuana you would know that this statement is completely false. Just like your assertion that you could harvest two crops per year on your Alabama property, you make it clear that you know nothig about the plant or its uses.

Once again in BIG SLOW WORDS. Legalization will take the money out of the black market. It is the money that is causing most of our societies problems with Gangs, Guns and Violence. Take away the money and the problem of drug use/abuse becomes more managable.

Trump,

And for the 100th time (or more) it is the height of naivete to believe that gangs will go out of business if drugs are legalized. Bank robberies, hijackings and kidnappings would be a welcome break from all this drug talk, however.

Oh, by the way, raising chickens and marijuana in the same buildings in Alabama would be a great idea. The body heat of the birds, the "natual fertilizer" they produce and the requirement for artificial light make them an ideal combination for the cooler months of the year. I'm suggesting it to the local 4-H coordinator to try a pilot project when Alabama legalizes pot ( .. . . oh, damn, I almost got that out without laughing . . )

MMJ,

Anyone can be made to look stupid? Well, sorry fella, but ain't that what you've tried to do to me? Just because I disagree with you, that doesn't make either one of us stupid.

JLM 4 years, 4 months ago

Criminals are not drug specific. Meaning that if marijuana were legalized the criminals would not all immediately become Episcopalean priests. They would simply go into other criminal activities. If they are drug oriented, they will just move to another family of drugs.

We, on the other hand, would be left with just one more avenue from which to produce more slackers and drags on society and DUIs. Usually referred to as Democrats.

Sorry, I could not resist. Just kidding.

I, for one, just can't wait.

Aich-

You didn't, and continue not to, need much help from me on that one. Your blatant disregard of, and for, the FACTS, not the speculations, is sufficient in and of itself in making you look like the south end of north-bound horse. When you disagree with someone that's presenting facts, whatever those facts may point to, it then becomes an issue that you get to sort out, all on your own. I can't tell you how to accept reality. All I can do is tell you what it is.

Speaking of reality......

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

Here's one more little piece of reality for ya. There are now 300 cities that have signed up to participate in the global marijuana march that going to be held planet-wide on May 1st. Whatever your reality may be, this is not an insignificant figure. http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2010/04/upcoming_marijuana_march_reaches_goal_of_300_citie.php

bandmama 4 years, 4 months ago

FYI.... Eck case.....DISMISSED!!!!! GOOOOOOOOO DEBBIE!

bandmama 4 years, 4 months ago

seems some questions were raised concerning the warrant.......

bandmama 4 years, 4 months ago

aich.... Just wondering if you have checked the experation dates of the canned goods you placed in the bomb shelter... in the 50's????????? AND have you updated the can opener? Did you not notice, that one of the folks you spit upon.... happened..JUST happened... to have the case against them DISMISSED???????? Due to an over zealous group? (and knowing thier rights?) ("Dumb stoner, making a point LEGALLY and knowing the CONSTITUTION??????????") Dude, that piece of paper works both ways. Thankfullly!!! It HOLDS a justice you have yet to appreciate. You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO full of shT, to assume that what you "used to knows" makes damn bit of difference.(although with most, it should, they deserve our respect....aich, so far has not earned it,) IF you were really in on intelligence you would know.... Times change, our "intelligence" also changes! You need to read! Educate yourself as to what is happening TODAY. Not when you were in your "prime". That is bullsht. Even roosters know when it is time to leave a nest.... but given the right yard..his presence is noted and respected...Give credence to those of that may influence the future AND those who may think about or consider voices of others. I am NOT asking you to give up your convictions. Just have a bit of an open mind to little changes in your community. Changes start small. Changes take many small thoughts to make things happen,OR not to happen. An open, thoughtful mind is a wise mind, and you would do yourself a favor by reading something dated after 1959,1960...1979...1984,GEORGE ORWELL WAS WRONG!!!!!.( I think.....well not really since 9/11) You are NOT stupid, yes it pains me to say.... just very narrow minded. Which by some standards is the same thing!!!! No matter the topic. I have refrained from responding to so many of your posts as I see no challenge in the response. Can you not understand that the law of man, the need of "man"? continuing updates??? Evolution happens if we want it to not. The only semblance of control we, as humans have is to deal with the changes. A hard headed absolute "ideal" will eventually be shut down as DUMB. If you want any ounce of respect for your views, try to rethink them, try to see the intelligence of those who come before/after you ,no matter how great you think your contribution may be. A wise man will always try to see anothers point, no matter how it differs from his. NOW....If I choose to ignore his highness's response..forgive,me I feel it is beneath me and my beliefs.... BUT.. GO DEBBIE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MMJ,

Why don't you tell me how you really feel?

Waiting so long to search for the pot was a mistake. The point was also missed that if her electricity usage was similar to her neighbors' , they were probably growing pot too. Duh. If they had found pot at her place when the warrant was originally requested, they could have probably used the electricity usage information as probable cause to search her neighbors' houses too.

It's hard to get timely warrants around here because the people who issue and execute them are not behind enforcement of certain laws. That's blatantly obvious. It would not surprise me at all to find that the pot was gone from her home because someone leaked the information on the search warrant to her.

I am not in the business of catching pot users because I don't want to be. If I was, a lot more of you would be getting caught. I would not choose to be in the business in the first place because it doesn't interest me, and in the second place, because the Colorado state judicial system is so corrupt that trying to enforce the "unpopular laws" would only lead to frustration. I presume this is the case because the Department of Justice people in charge of policing such matters are either in on it, or are too busy watching porn on their government-furnished computers to do anything about it (as in the SEC's lack of action which led to the collapse of our economy).

Our society has taken a drastic slide into poverty and lawlessness because average people tolerate it. It got to be okay to be stupid in this country about 30 years ago because the prosperity created by the WW-II generation and the first wave of baby boomers was able to fund a society that took intellectual capital out of the bank and spent it like drunken sailors on "social justice." The personal and family analog to this is the number of trust fund kids who moved to Steamboat to be ski bums on money put away for them by their prosperous parents, and won't be able to do the same for their own kids. Make life easy for some people, and they will squander it.

Half of the workers in this country pay no federal income tax. Their goals extend to the next payday, and no further.

You write about evolution. Did Rome fall because of evolution? No. It fell to lead poisoning. What about Russia? It fell to communism because the ruling class did not care for the rest of the people, and then communism fell because selfish, lazy and corrupt people didn't live up to the purity of the ideals set forth by the communist system. When a society sets out to support its people and depends on them to work hard in return, the result is that more and more of them shun the work because, what's the point of working hard? No reward.

Habitual intoxication to pass the time of day is a waste of human life. I don't care if 200,000,000 people do it; that doesn't change the fact that 200,000,000 can be thowing their lives away.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

Aich, You couldn't catch most of us if we were the frigin' flu. And maybe it's just a side effect of my medicine but I don't exactly recall writing about evolution. Even if I did, what in the hell does what you wrote have to do with anything? You link some pretty distant $#!+ together my friend.

trump_suit 4 years, 4 months ago

Gotta remember here, Aich blamed illegal drugs for the airport expansion, cost of living increases, and the explosion in property values here in Steamboat. He also blames drug use for the local economy and the fact that young people cannot find good work.

When the glasses that your are looking thru only see the world in one color then that is the color that you will see.

bandmama 4 years, 4 months ago

He he he.....Aich must have been under the influence of something when he read my last post. He seems to have been doing some research on growing stuff..... Aich, It was me who addressed you, not mmj.

Scott Glynn 4 years, 4 months ago

To me, as a person who is not without his vices yet not a partaker of the MJ scene, the largest issue I see is the complete sham that the industry has become. I would love for someone to just be honest and say "Look, there is a entreprenurial opportunity here and I am going to take advantage of it." I personally would respect that more than someone who is playing the "I am trying to help the poor suffering people who really need this drug" card. The fact that so many dispencaries have doctors on site to write scrips, in reality many are unjustified, really discredits the entire paradigm. I don't use it nor do I profess to be an expert in the field, yet I can't help the overidding feeling that the entire industry just doesn't pass the smell test. And that is what I try to convey to my children as they grow to young adults able to make their own decisions/mistakes. The lack of transparency in the industry should come with the same aprehensions that many people have about the banking, insurance, and law professions. That would be refreshing.

JJ Southard 4 years, 4 months ago

So, scottglynn, agreed that many recommendations for mmj are being written on a daily basis in dispensaries, in living rooms, and also in doctor's offices. Many are legit, and many are not. BUT, from your post above, you would rather the mmj industry's doctors hide in closets or just hide in general when they make recommendations?? What about a hospice care doctor that is writing a prescription for pain meds while visiting a patient in their home? Whats the difference? In Florida, right now, with an ID and some cash, doctors sit in "clinics" and write prescriptions for OxyContin on the spot and fill the prescriptions on site with "samples"....wtf? And the people of Colorado are bent about dispensaries??? So scottglynn, you would rather the mmj industry function more like the 3 you mention above?...like the bankers did when they stole innocent people's money, like insurance companies do when they decide on their policy changes, and like lawyers do when judges get paid off and DA's get spoke to off the record?? I see your sarcasm, but it seems rooted in your honest-to-God feelings?? Am I wrong? As an owner of one of these businesses, who hosts a doctor once a month (to assist the folks who don't have health insurance to create medical records for their conditions... but have obvious conditions), I see your point, but I also encourage you to look deeper into what is soon to come with the changes and regulations to the mmj industry. The changes will help people like you feel better about the growth industry upon us, and YES all dispensary owners are in this partially, and in some cases, mostly, for the entrepreneurial opportunity that abounds in this industry currently.....especially with the state of the rest of the economy. But, my business, in particular, takes the responsibility we have very seriously and our doctor is of the most professional demeanor. If you have any personal questions or concerns, anyone, email me at info@naturalchoicemmj.com

aichempty 4 years, 4 months ago

Ouch. You you got me, fair and square.

I guess next time I'll read the post ;-)

Duke_bets 4 years, 4 months ago

scott - You are correct that it doesn't pass the smell test. Colorado is very laid back when it comes to drug use. The state made it legal so entrepreneurs are going to take advantage. I have nothing against making money or the pot shops.

I have issues with the 'medicine' part. Duke bets that the high majority of prescriptions are written to adult males from 25-40 years of age. That should be a healthy age group, but possibly the highest drug abuse (illegal or legal) age group out there. Duke bets that a minimum % of doctors in the entire state write more than 90% of all prescriptions in the state. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....That's odd. Duke bets that 99% of card holders have been recreational users. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....That's odd. That actually presents another factoid. If pot is such a miracle medicine, why do all the potheads have these ailments that require treatment. Let the Duke answer that one. It's because they want to get stoned without being harrassed. Pretty simple.

It actually does pass the smell test of kind of fishy.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

Duke- If you were a doctor, and I'll just assume that you're not, with a DEA maintained license for dispensing narcotics, wouldn't you be a little apprehensive before putting that license in possible jeopardy? The DEA has made it very clear to EVERYONE that they maintain their stance that cannabis remains illegal on a federal level, their level. How on earth could anyone expect ALL of the doctors(script writing types) to jump on board with cannabis recommendations when the DEA is holding their licenses over their heads? And for Pete's sake, I thought we covered all the "medicinal" stuff about cannabis? Did you even take the time to click on a single link that I posted? Wouldn't want to look at the other side's facts though, huh? Truth hurts sometimes, huh? That's okay, I served for your right to be stubbornly ignorant and I'm glad that you're enjoying it. And did it ever occur to you that males, age 25-40, constitute a large portion of our nation's workforce? Or has it ever occurred to you that these males like to experience the relief that only cannabis can offer, after a long day of work? Or do you just assume the "Reefer Madness"-esque views that cannabis users are incompetent, shiftless, non-aspiring, losers that don't have the time or desire for a job? Because that's what it sounds like. Why don't you go sit in the corner and talk to yourself in the third person for a couple of hours, you narcissistic baffoon?

Duke_bets 4 years, 4 months ago

mmj - You don't dispute a single comment from my last post. But, you debate in my favor. You state that the vast majority of mmj cardholders smoke it for recreational purposes after a hard days work.

Talk about ignorant. You backed up Dukes bets.

bandmama 4 years, 4 months ago

duke and scott bring up a good point. Abuse of the right to use MMJ for medical reasons shouldn't be clouded by questionable practices. Ruins it for those that may actually need/use/cant find relief with any other accepted meds. MMJ also has a very valid point, it is difficult to prove soft tissue injuries(for example) with most physicians for a chronic pain issue. There is also the possibilty of over prescribing other more common meds that are also habit forming. Duke, I dont think that mmj was debating in your favor, same concept, you get home from a long often hard days work, pop a pill or smoke a bowl to alleviate your symptoms. Same thing different drug that works for the individual. Many cant and dont work under the influence of prescribed pills and or a bowl. Yes, it may be at the end of the day to relax and spend the evening in a little less pain with the family or whatever. Duke bets that many have been "recreational users" that are now precribed users, what was it called before it was prescribed by a dr? "recreational" It may have been used to manage a chronic disorder. Not to get high and PART-ay.

Duke_bets 4 years, 4 months ago

mmj - Here's another fact for your almighty weed induced brain.

There are 4 pot shops within spitting distance of the University of Colorado in Boulder. The primary client base is obviously college students. The most healthy age group buys the most dope. Is there something in the water causing cancer and arthritis like rapidfire amongst 18-24 year olds in Denver? Or, are there a couple of doctors that don't care about your DEA and license speech and hand out cards to anyone walking through the door with a backache? Duke bets, once again, that 90% of cardholders are simply recreational users that can now smoke in CO without getting busted.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 4 months ago

Duke- We'll never understand each other. And the reason being is that we maintain two fundamentally different points of view. You think it's just peachy that cannabis is illegal and I see absolutely no reason for it being classified as a schedule 1 narcotic in the first place. But I guess you enjoy watching your crime fighting dollar go towards busting little ol' ladies.

Glenn Little II 4 years, 3 months ago

Hemp and History Until 1883, 75-90% of all paper in the U.S. was made with hemp. Hemp seed was the # 1-selling bird feed; 4 million pounds were sold in the U.S. in 1937. In the mid-to-late 1800's the 2nd & 3rd most commonly used medications were concentrated cannabis extracts and resins (a.k.a. hashish). A bridge in the south of France dated... See More at 500-700 A.D. was built with a mixture of hemp. In 1941 Henry Ford built a car with a plastic made from hemp and wheat straw. Until 1937 70-90% of all rope and twine was made with hemp. Both George Washington and Thomas Jefferson grew hemp on their plantations.In 1850 the U.S. Census reported 8,327 hemp plantation of at least 2000 acres in size. Not counted were thousands of smaller crops. The original Levi Strauss jeans were made from hemp. In 1942 the U.S. government strongly encouraged hemp cultivation to help with the war effort, going so far as to produce a film entitled "Hemp For Victory". The version of the Declaration of Independence released on July 4, 1776 was written on hemp. Hemp and Industry There are over 25,000 known uses for hemp. The heating and compressing of hemp fibers can create building materials superior to wood in strength, quality and cost. Hemp is heat, mildew, pest, light, and rot resistant. Hemp fabric is softer, warmer, more water resistant and more durable than cotton. Hemp fabric also uses less chemicals to produce. Industrial uses of hemp in China date as far back as 10,000 years.

Glenn Little II 4 years, 3 months ago

Hemp as a Fuel Source A bio-diesel fuel is one made from hemp oil, vegetable oil, or other animal fat. The original idea wax developed in 1895 by Dr. Rudolph Diesel, who developed the first engine than ran on vegetable oil. He demonstrated the engine at the 1900 World Exhibition in Paris, France, running the engine on peanut oil.Hemp can be blended with diesel fuel in any ratio or used alone. Biodiesel fuel is the only alternative fuel that can be used as-is, in any un-modified diesel engine. The increased use of biodiesel fuels would reduce dependence on foreign sources while increasing national agricultural jobs and revenues. The flashpoint of petroleum fuel is 125 degrees Fahrenheit while the flashpoint of biodiesel fuels is 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Biodiesel fuels have been used successfully in Europe for over 20 years. Hemp as a Profitable Crop

Hemp is cold hardy, able to withstand even NH winters. Hemp is pest resistant ( except from the 2-legged kind)Hemp is draught resistant.It is estimated that if 6% of the continental U.S. planted with hemp would provide for all national energy needs.Hemp has a production rate of up to 10 tons per acre, every 4 months.1 acre of usable hemp fiber is equal to the usable fiber of 4 acres of trees or 2 acres of cotton.Trees mature in 50-100 years; hemp matures in as little as 100 days.The University of Missouri estimates that an average-size metropolitan area production of 100 million gallons of biodiesel fuel could generate $8.34million in personal income and 6000 temporary and permanent jobs. (Ref: National Biodiesel Board)In 1776 a hemp shirt cost .50 cents to $1.00; a cotton shirt cost $100-$200 Hemp and the Environment Biodiesel fuels emit 80% less carbon dioxide & nearly 100% less sulfur dioxide. Hemp paper can be recycled up to seven (7) times; wood pulp paper can be recycled four (4) times. Hemp fuels do not destroy the ozone layer or contribute to global warming.Hemp fuels burn clean; they do not cause acid rain.Hemp fuel is 10 times less toxic than salt, and as biodegradable as sugar. Hemp and Health Hemp oil is the highest source of essential omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which, among other things, help control cholesterol, arterial blockage and the immune system. Commonly-known medicinal uses of hemp include: nausea & vomiting; multiple sclerosis/muscle spasm disorders; spinal cord injuries; Chron's disease; Alzheimer's disease; Tourette's syndrome; digestive disorders; glaucoma; asthma; neurodegenerative disorders;At one time American companies Eli Lily, Squibb and Park Davis produced cannabis extract medicines.

Glenn Little II 4 years, 3 months ago

Hemp and the Law In 1619 Jamestown Colony, Virginia enacted laws ordering farmers to grow hemp. Similar laws were enacted in Massachusetts in 1631, Connecticut in 1632 and the Chesapeake Colonies in the mid-1700's. In England, foreigners were awarded with citizenship if they grew cannabis; those who refused were fined. From 1631 until the early 1800's, hemp was used as legal money, with which one could buy goods and pay bills.Hawaii is the first state sine the 1950's to legally plant a hemp crop. Hemp and the Arts Alice in Wonderland" was originally printed on hemp paper. It's author, Lewis Carroll, was a frequent marijuana smoker. The paintings of Vincent Van Gogh and Rembrandt were regularly painted on hemp canvases. In 1935 116 million pounds (58,000 tons) of hemp seed was used to make paints and varnishes.