Sunday, September 6, 2009
I found Professor William Gray and senior fellow Patrick Michaels' exposure of the climate change hoax ("Experts dispute crisis," Aug. 30 Steamboat Pilot & Today) very interesting. Harvard wannabe Gray states things have been getting cooler in the last decade, and Michaels, four paragraphs later, says temperatures on Earth are increasing!
As the science of climate change (the initial term "global warming" was indeed misleading) evolves, there is major concern not for "increases in vegetation across the world," but for major shifts in climate. We first-worlders may be able to adapt, but there are many millions of people who may be exposed to negative changes in locally viable agriculture who cannot head to more hospitable terrain or order some rain gear online as the their local climate gets wetter.
I guess I wasn't really tuned into the argument that there will be many more heat-related deaths since Michaels is correct; by then the billions of folks without air conditioning will certainly have that option available - just like in Tampa, duh! Do the nonbelievers seriously argue that the peoples of the world can dump this much carbon emissions into the atmosphere without any affect? As John Muir wisely said, "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world."
In December of 2008, Professor Gray predicted "a somewhat above-average Atlantic basin tropical cyclone season in 2009.We anticipate an above-average probability of United States major hurricane landfall," which he revised a few weeks ago (in the middle of the hurricane season) to a "below-average" chance for both. This is not to criticize Dr. Gray, but to point out that climate science is still in its infancy, and Michaels is arrogant when he asserts "check the facts and you'll win the argument." I can just see the headlines in the Pilot in 2209: "Earth passes climate tipping point." "Life on Earth doomed." "Gray claims he forgot he was working in Celsius, not Fahrenheit, in 2009." "Tells followers: 'Sorry, my bad. Maybe they're right (I mean, correct, we know they're right),'" and "Climate change is just something that happens which we don't and, more ominously, can't affect."
But see, here's the thing. Let's say we (very generously) allow that 25 percent of the knowledgeable scientists of the world agree with Gray and Michaels. That implies there's a 3-to-1 chance there will be potentially catastrophic change to our planet if the other 75 percent are correct. With those kind of odds, I'd vote for trying to do whatever we can to solve this global problem and, in all future elections, you should, too.
Blog shield deployed, fire away.