Standoff ends without injury

— A police standoff that lasted nearly four hours early Friday on Laurel Lane ended peacefully after police broke down a door and arrested a 33-year-old Steamboat Springs man.

Steamboat Springs Police Department officers were called to a report of domestic violence on Laurel Lane at about 12:45 Friday morning, Sgt. Dale Coyner said.

A woman in the house was able to get out safely, but officers could not talk to the suspect, David Edward Heist. Police were told that Heist had a high-powered rifle in the home.

At about 4 a.m., a page was made to the Emergency Response Team, a collection of specially trained Steamboat police officers.

Coyner said that about half an hour later, the team forced entry through a door and found Heist in his bedroom. Officers found the rifle in another part of the house and confiscated it. Coyner said Heist was not in possession of the gun when officers entered the house.

There were no injuries in the incident, Coyner said, and Heist complied with the demands of the officers once they entered the home.

Heist was taken for a medical check at Yampa Valley Medical Center, and by 11 a.m. he was booked in the Routt County Jail on suspicion of four charges: domestic harassment, criminal mischief, prohibited use of weapons and obstruction of telephone service.

Heist remained in Routt County Jail late Friday in lieu of $1,500 bail.

Comments

1999 4 years, 9 months ago

and rape/sexual assault suspects get the courtesy of identity protection.

stephb 4 years, 8 months ago

I am thankful to find out about this 'salesman'.

cara marrs 4 years, 9 months ago

1999- Great point and I 100% agree and that would be totally unacceptable, but that is not what went on here as I am sure you will hear about.

1999 4 years, 9 months ago

heres my point.... 3 weeks ago a friend of mine was ATTACKED IN HER HOME by a man selling tortillas door to door. she fought him off and was able to run to safety.

Now...did anyone here about that?

was anyone warned?

was it even reported in the paper?

was there a description of the perp?

but in this instance... MR. Heist had a fight with his wife(?) that got way out of hand and his name is plastered all over the paper.

whats wrong here?

we have a rapist on the lose and no one is even warned for 5 days!!!

whats really news here.

a rapist on the loose or a domestic fight?

mmjPatient22 4 years, 9 months ago

News? The media of this country haven't known the definition of "news" for some time now. For most of them, news=commentary and commentary=news.

cara marrs 4 years, 9 months ago

Due to the actual events, names should have been left out of the paper. Somethings are not printed in Steamboat out of courtesy for a family or person, this unfortunately should have been one of those circumstances.

StopTheBrutalChemtrails 4 years, 9 months ago

There have been many rapes and murders in this little town that have gone unreported in this pathetic little 'news'paper. We certainly don't want to bring any negative publicity to our precious world class ski area that would cause any sort of numbers to drop in the valley, that would be unacceptable to some, so we must ignore the bad and focus on the good. Just pretend like those things never happen here in our utopia. Nothin' to see here, folks, back to work.
There is no law against having a gun in your house. Did they try knocking? I suppose so, but you never know around here, sometimes our imported cops ain't so smart.

Paul Timmons 4 years, 9 months ago

I would agree, with the previous post, about "Good Job SSPD". Just a thought here, When city budgets are strapped as they are now, should the subject responsible for this hold any responsibility in the cost that was created that night for the extra officers that were called in to handle this call safely? I think its about time that when people go out of their way to depleat city resources, they hold financial responsibility in this. In my opinion, If he is found guilty in court, then he should repay the $$$$$$. There were plenty residents that didnt break the law that night, whos taxes were tapped because of his poor choices.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

That would be like a fine imposed by the Judge and should be considered as some sort of restitution to the Taxpayers of Steamboat Springs.

kathy foos 4 years, 9 months ago

From what I read in the paper he is suspected of a crime and the D.A. will have to sort out the facts of the case and charge the proper people.Remember when a domestic violence happens there are two sides to the story,and it sounds like he didnt cooperate and got the book thrown at him for it.Maybe she will be charged before it is all over.As far as the gun goes,that is the first thing a cop will ask is if a gun is in there and then they deal with that according to protocal of safety for all.When you dont do as an officer asks,you take the consequences they give out.Example ,Cargo running from the cops and getting tazed.I just wonder if the paper will clarify the allegations properly at a later date,or just let us wonder if all true facts come out ,instead of just the initial allegations, which convicts a person right away to the public . Some investigation and follow up on a story(responsibility)is needed once it is printed.

kathy foos 4 years, 9 months ago

Seesuki I wonder how much of that money actually would make it back to the departments budget?

kathy foos 4 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for the tortilla salesman assault information,maybe there needs to be more news about that one,that is a public safety issue,what does the public safety director have to say about this one?

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

sun, I continually wonder why people consider a story of an event in the papers as a conviction by the media. If people are so meak that they can't see that all suspects are considered innocent until proven guilty and the reporters job is not to protect the suspects but inform the public of the news as their investigation uncovers it then what can I say? The trials are usually open to the public so if you need to know about the domestic issues of a couple in town then you should get the facts first hand in court. But then on the other hand you are curious about the other assaults and are wanting more so I can't figure out what's up with your posts sun. No offense.

bandmama 4 years, 8 months ago

A male friend told me about the tortilla guy also. The man selling door to door had already been to my home and I was advised not to answer the door again. Thankfully my husband had spoken to him the first time. Big tip off, the "homemade" tortillas were store bought............ Something to think about, some details may have been omitted to protect the the young lady. She may not have wanted such details made public. The assualts were reported in the daily record. I dont need to know the juicy details of the assault when I read about such things, three in such a short period of time is enough for me to take precautions and do what I can to make myself safe. On the other hand...... three assaults in Steamboat should prompt more attention to public safety.

1999 4 years, 8 months ago

I want to add that the original tortilla guy was honest and hard working. Just trying to sell his product

apparently, someone else was allowed to sell the tortillas who had other motives.