Police investigating sexual assault

Downtown Steamboat incident reported last week; few details

Steamboat Springs Police Department officers are investigating a sexual assault reported in downtown Steamboat Springs last week.

The assault was first reported to police at about 1 a.m. Oct. 21. Police are releasing few details about the alleged incident.

"It was a sexual assault that occurred outside to a female that was walking home and it's under investigation," Capt. Joel Rae said Wednesday. "We're really not releasing any other details at this time so we don't compromise any aspect of this investigation."

The incident is thought to have occurred near the intersection of 11th and Oak streets. Police have not released any other details, including physical descriptions of the suspected assailant or assailants, or the nature of the assault.

Two other sexual assaults were reported in previous weeks in Steamboat, but Rae said there is no indication the assaults are related.

Nonetheless, Rae reminded people to travel in groups of two or more, particularly at night.

"It's always best to travel in groups of people and, not to indicate that this was any type of roofies incident or rohypnol incident, but don't take drinks from strangers," he said. "Stay together with the people you know when you're out and about."

The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network provides the following advice to help women reduce their risk of being victims of sexual assault:

- Be aware of your surroundings. Knowing where you are and who is around you may help you to find a way to get out of a bad situation.

- Try to avoid isolated areas. It is more difficult to get help if no one is around.

- Walk with purpose. Even if you don't know where you are going, act like you do.

- Trust your instincts. If a situation or location feels unsafe or uncomfortable, it probably isn't the best place to be.

- Try not to load yourself down with packages or bags as this can make you appear more vulnerable.

- Make sure your cell phone is with you and charged and that you have cab money.

- Don't allow yourself to be isolated with someone you don't trust or someone you don't know.

- Avoid putting music headphones in both ears so that you can be more aware of your surroundings, especially if you are walking alone.

For more information, visit www.rainn.org.

Anyone with information about this or any other suspected crime in Routt County is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 970-870-6226.

Comments

greenwash 5 years, 1 month ago

This isnt the type of thing we want to keep a secret....This is serious stuff.Get the facts and spread the word.This isnt the first time.

cara marrs 5 years, 1 month ago

I have to agree with greenwash. Yes, definitely protect the victims but we need to absolutely get the word out about this or any past assaults, especially with halloween coming up. There is a way to do so without compromising the case. As a woman who works downtown I want to know this information.

Tricia Nickerson 5 years, 1 month ago

It should be made public asap and any info they can provide like descriptions of the assailants, etc. My heart goes out to the victim. This is seriously scary stuff.

1999 5 years, 1 month ago

i don't know why my post was removed all i said was that she was raped.

sexual assault just doesn't cover it.

she was raped.

i don't want to know the identity of the woman other than to support her but it pisses me off that days go by and we have a rapist on the lose and it doesn't hit the paper for days.

hey!!! tell me why my post was removed??

don't like the word rape?

can it only be called a sexual assault?

nice pretty little words aren't they

Danielle Hubler 5 years, 1 month ago

I think that it was just made public, in the paper. I beg of you all in your crusade to "get the word out" that you do not cause the victims in these incidents any more harm than they have already incurred. Please try to protect their privacy as you begin to put the pieces of the story together. Please do not include personal information of the victims in idle gossip or in print. It is a small town we need to protect each other, what if it was you?

seeuski 5 years, 1 month ago

The PC police are here to silence the truth. Ok so then here is what we know, something happened in Steamboat to someone.

seeuski 5 years, 1 month ago

citizenme, While protecting the victims identity is very important and should be protected it is also important for the public to be aware so as to take necessary precautions for their own safety.

flotilla 5 years, 1 month ago

Seeuski, duh. You said it. "important for the public to be aware so as to take necessary precautions for their own safety" And please, do just that.

what else do you need, the victim's name? The perp before he is jailed? the terrible details? Come on!

seeuski 5 years, 1 month ago

flotilla you are deranged. I am speaking out as a concerned citizen here and you act the fool by attacking me. Nowhere in my posts did I suggest we want the victims identified or the gory details, I want the news of what people need to be aware of, period. My heart goes out to the victims. If no crime occurred then why was this story printed today? So duh to you, this is a serious story not just another story. It matters. And this is also about forewarning the public not prejudging some perp.

seeuski 5 years, 1 month ago

Mine was removed because of the make and model of the 2 legged perp.

stephb 5 years, 1 month ago

Obviously this is a sensitive situation. It needs to be made known that we are subject to this anywhere. Women and men. Bad things do happen in small towns. Many people are affraid to come forward and report such things, including myself. I applaud the woman for reporting it. Lets hope innocent parties are left just as that. Lets hope the accused is brought to justice, if it is the case.

flotilla 5 years, 1 month ago

I misunderstood what you were looking for Seeuski. My apologies

SkiTownUSA 5 years, 1 month ago

The type of person it takes to commit a crime as heinous and infuriating as this... it just leaves me speechless really.

I sure hope the sspd had a darn good reason for the delay in getting the word out.

And an interesting, unrelated story:

seeuski 5 years, 1 month ago

Accepted flotilla. I think I have an idea as to why the SSPD and the Pilot responded as they have on this crime. I am in know way suggesting anything as to an identity of a suspect but this story lines up with it and creates an atmosphere like the story SkiTownUSA has referred to.

Boatperson 5 years, 1 month ago

Mr. or Ms. or Mrs. seeuski,

Please seek and/or listen to the advice of a psychiatric health care professional.

Kelley McDaneld 5 years, 1 month ago

If there were sexual assaults prior to the one on October 21st and those women are able to provide a description of the attackers, why has the paper not printed the descriptions of the suspects? Does anyone at the Pilot do any investigative reporting, or is the Pilot merely a public relations agent to the SSPD?

This community should be outraged at the lack of information provided to the public regarding these crimes.

seeuski 5 years, 1 month ago

Kelly, The link to the article in my last post may or may not apply here but if it does then the pilot would be unable to access possible suspect info from the police and therefore unable to print what everyone is clamoring for. In other words the Feds may be controlling what we get in the news. The above statement is not a statement of fact but rather an idea and therefore should not cause this post to be deleted as it did an earlier one. I hope.

Kelley McDaneld 5 years, 1 month ago

Seeuski, Either way, we deserve some explanation and any available information regarding these sexual assaults. As it stands now, it appears the Pilot is protecting the perpetrator(s) rather than the citizens of SS.

seeuski 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey, I'm in agreement with you I am just theorizing the motives or forces preventing the truth from getting to the public.