Ryan Fisher, co-owner of Rocky Mountain Remedies medical marijuana dispensary, fills out some paperwork in the business's new location in 2700 block of Downhill Plaza earlier this year. The federal government announced Monday that it will not prosecute medical marijuana users or dispensaries as long as they comply with state law.

File Photo

Focus turns to state pot laws

Department of Justice makes medical marijuana stance clear

On the 'Net

Read Attorney General Eric Holder's entire memo here.

— Local medical marijuana users and dispensaries no longer need to worry about federal prosecutors. It's the state law that still preoccupies them.

On Monday, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder announced that it will no longer be a priority to prosecute medical marijuana users who adhere to state law, even if that contradicts federal law.

"As a general matter, pursuit of these priorities should not focus federal resources in your States on individuals whose actions are in clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana," Deputy Attorney General David Ogden wrote in a memo addressed to federal prosecutors in states where medical marijuana laws exist.

D and C Medical Marijuana, LLC and Therapeutic Massage co-owner Charlie Magnuson, of Steamboat Springs, said he was closely following the decisions by the federal government, and he hopes the memo will provide some clarity.

"That's a good deal for everyone involved in the medical marijuana business," he said.

Rocky Mountain Remedies dispensary co-owner Kevin Fisher said the memo makes clear what Holder has hinted at in previous months.

"Holder made those verbal statements for several months saying the feds were not going to interfere with state and local laws," said Fisher, also of Steamboat Springs.

Fisher said he decided to open his dispensary based on his belief that it was legally permissible, but he said operating a business where medical marijuana is sold to licensed users is still not without legal challenges. At a meeting of the Colorado Board of Health in July, regulators considered changing some rules that would have made the "dispensary model untenable," Fisher said.

"Hopefully we get some reasonable state regulations in place so everyone is comfortable and knows under what laws they're operating," he said.

Hayden resident Don Nord was caught in the battle between federal and state laws when his house was raided Oct. 13, 2003. Authorities seized his medical marijuana, and Nord went to court to fight the seizure, but he lost in a July 2005 ruling. Since that time, he said he's had no trouble finding medical marijuana - and no trouble with the law in its use.

Even so, Nord, who has campaigned for medical marijuana, said more regulation may be needed at the state level. He said he sent in his application to renew his medical marijuana certificate in August but has not yet received a response. He said he suspects it is because of an overwhelming demand on the office.

"I run into cases that the people on medical marijuana do not need to be on it," he said. "There's something wrong here."

The All Crimes Enforcement Team, formerly the Grand, Routt and Moffat Narcotics Enforcement Team, was the office that raided Nord's home. ACET Commander Garrett Wiggins said his office does not focus on medical marijuana users.

"As long as they stay within the legal guidelines," the dispensaries and users will not be targeted, he said. "And people who are violating those guidelines, we'll put some attention on them."

Wiggins said he does not have any confirmed cases of people violating Colorado's medical marijuana laws.

- To reach Zach Fridell, call 871-4208 or e-mail zfridell@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

mmjPatient22 4 years, 6 months ago

Aich, you're just all hurt about Obama keeping his word. Miss the good ol' Bush days eh?

mmjPatient22 4 years, 6 months ago

One thing that will be interesting to see is how businesses/employers react to this news. It stands to reason, now that medical use of cannabis is federally protected from persecution and prosecution, that there should be some legal protection for the patients that have previously been denied employment at low-risk/low-hazard jobs that still require drug testing. I also wonder if this will have some effect on policy in Canada, who at one point devoted over 4/5's of it's drug fighting budget, solely, to cannabis. Is it just me, or does it seem a bit retarded to leave only 1/5 of your drug fighting budget for meth, coke, crack, heroine, PCP and prescription drug abuse. I guess cannabis is special.

Apart from its cultural significant, the shift tells us a lot about where the White House prioritizes its anti-crime efforts. Every minute not spent going after California's pot smokers, for example, is a minute that federal lawyers and investigators now may spend ferreting out terror cells or looking into allegations of white-collar fraud. Every lawful dispensary in Colorado that goes un-raided by the ATF or the FBI or leaves the feds assets and energy to pursue violent crimes, which are on the upswing in many areas of the country, or upon more severe drugs like meth and heroine and crack cocaine. After all, the number of open arrest warrants in this nation is staggering, at best.

NchronicPain 4 years, 6 months ago

LMFAO @ Dukey

If you can't sense my sarcasm in the Green Stars on the American flag, then I'm not wasting my time with your dumba$$...

NchronicPain 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't know if anyone caught the show on A & E last night, but it was yet another expose on the MJ Industry.... It spoke about the medical marijuana industry and it's explosion for the first half of the show. For the 2nd half of the show, it focused on 2 communities in Northern California...Arcata and Humboldt. In these communities it is estimated that about 1 in 7 houses are growhouses, used solely for culitvating marijuana. Not for medical purposes....simply to support the black market of the nation....not just California. Ask any marijuana user in the nation where the best pot comes from....most know it's NorCal. Well, these criminal growers have trashed about 20-30% of the decent homes in the area to cultivate this plant. If made legal, they hope this will stop the growhouses and these communities, that literally thrive off marijuana will have to start all over. Some think they will even have whole communities turn into ghost towns if mj goes legal in Cali, with the State producing the mass majority of the product. See what prohibition did.... It created an easily abused industry of criminals that will claim anyone as their victim in order to make their money. Legalization will put them out of business and put the money they are generating into the suffering ecomony of our government. Pretty soon the stars on that red, white and blue flag....just might turn green....LOL

Jeff Snook 4 years, 6 months ago

Seriously, you quoted Don Nord for this article.

aichempty 4 years, 6 months ago

mmj,

You should really sober up enough to understand what's going on around you.

Nothing was made "legal." The law did not change. It's no different from the days when local authorities stopped prosecuting people for adultery and sodomy between consenting adults while the laws prohibiting those acts remained on the books.

Obama has done some great things since he took office, and also a few that are questionable, but in this case I agree that he kept a promise and did something good. If the beneficiaries of this new policy would only obey the state laws, nobody would have any reason to complain.

The story about the LA prosecutor going after dispensaries really tells the truth about MMJ. People are using it to cover up for other drug crimes, which works against your desire to have it legalized in all 50 states. Why don't you stop arguing with me (and if you haven't noticed, I'm agreeing with medical use of pot) and work to get other MMJ patients and providers to follow the law and prove that pot can be used responsibly. That's the first step toward universal legalization.

But, you see, you know in reality that there are a lot of people who can't use pot responsibly. You know you cannot convince them to do so. That's why it will not be legalized any time soon at the federal level for anything except bonafide medical use.

So, friend, I am not the problem. Pot users are the problem. Go work on them until your dream comes true.

Duke_bets 4 years, 6 months ago

Nchron - Wow. Your support of marijuana use is eye opening to say the least. 'Green' on the US flag. The 'best pot' comes from NorCal.

Ranking drugs from best to worst by location has nothing to do with medical marijuana users.

MsRed 4 years, 6 months ago

Aich- How would you know if MM22 needs to sober up- his points sound well thought out, doesn't seem like a "drunk" to me. Most people who need to sober up don't think, at all.

Of all the MMJ card holders I know- not one of them is a drunk, or a pill popper- this is their ONLY med. and they do understand and know the benifits of it.

Maybe the problem with social use is that they mix in too much of the other stuff like drinking or pill's or whatever..

MsRed 4 years, 6 months ago

By the way Aich-

What would you consider "responsible pot use"??

Duke_bets 4 years, 6 months ago

MsRed - Of all the MMJ card holders that you know, not one of them is a drunk? Well, they are probably too stoned to drive to the liquor store. Also, for your information, Aich never referred to alcohol abuse. And, sober does not only define the lack of alcohol in ones' system.

Try again.

MsRed 4 years, 6 months ago

Duke-

In all my years dealing with drunks and those who "smoke" I can say I would take a stoner any day over a drunk- so would every police officer I know in this county/state/city.

and I do know that "sober" defines a number of things- I don't need your 2 cents to tell me that- I was making a point due to his unsubstantiated comments to MMJ22-

Duke_bets 4 years, 6 months ago

Nchron - No blasts back at me on the 'best pot' comments? You proved my point. You support smoking dope and I don't. You also seem quite irritable with all of the profanity. Is that a personality issue or an effect of the dope? Hmmmm.

jk 4 years, 6 months ago

Duke, your ignorance on this issue is astounding. Please stick to something you have some grasp of.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 6 months ago

I think it's hilarious how these old farts try to provoke the, otherwise, peaceable and non-violent cannabis users. If you look back at most of their comments, it's pretty easy to hear a fair share of antagonism directed at those who support RE-legalizing cannabis. Granted, there have been some sharply worded rebuttals from the side that receives these taunts, however, who among us merely lays down in the face of an attack? Especially coming from those that appear to have nothing better to do with their time than point out the flaws and short-comings, at least in their eyes, of other people. Along side that is the poignant stench of parental condemnation. The debate, for them at least, is grounded more in theology and the moral choice between a very white right and a very black wrong. Unfortunately for the simple, this issue is a bit more complex than a black&white or wrong&right choice.

Even funnier, at least to me, is how each and every one of the nae-sayers seems to have skirted around the historical data about our forefathers, cannabis and the combination of the two before, during and after founding of our very nation. Not one of them has responded to the call to explain, exactly, why our forefathers were wrong for taking advantage of the countless uses provided for by this miracle plant. I would love to see any of them try, should be entertaining at least. The simple fact is that it is next to impossible for anyone to argue these points. The use of cannabis around the world for thousands of years is documented fact, not theory or some "pipe dream," if you will. In the entire recorded history of mankind there has not been a single death that can be attributed to overdosing on marijuana smoke. Not one. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about many of the real drugs that plague our world. In closing, I'll paraphrase from a book that I don't necessarily live or abide by but, nonetheless, it does have some wisdom to lend. There are, undoubtedly, more important issues in this nation than whether or not pot should be legal. It should be, but that's not what I'm talking about right now. The state of our nation, at the moment, is far worse than most of us have ever seen before. Education, housing, employment and financial establishments in America haven't been this crappy in a long time. It would serve us well, as a nation and a planet, to focus more on the plank in our own eye before we tend to the splinter in our neighbor's eye. In perspective, pot is a fairly insignificant issue at the moment.

NchronicPain 4 years, 6 months ago

NchronicPain_bets that the Dukey-meister is out of his league in this debate.

Dookie_bets, you are barely pushing my buttons... The profanity is defintely a personality issue. The only effect the mj has is the fact that it gives me my entire life back. So, again, I pat the Dukinator in the back for engeniusly figuring out that I support the use of marijuana. I am a medical mj patient and caregiver.... I think my support of mj is quite apparent.

Next pseudo-intelligent response please......

aichempty 4 years, 6 months ago

MsRed,

The term "sober up" means he should get "clean and sober" long enough to understand the details. Our system of laws is complex, and it's hard enough to understand when you've got all your faculties working for you.

And "responsible pot use" means the same as "responsible alcohol use" and "responsible use of prescription medications." Use it legally, don't abuse it, don't become consumed by it, don't let it hurt your ability to support yourself and your family. If pot caused the same ill effects as lettuce and tomatoes, nobody would have a reason to complain. If people using it showed no more ill effects than people who eat lettuce and tomatoes, there'd be no reason to restrict its use.

And mmj, if people had not started abusing cannabis to the detriment of public welfare, peace and order, there would have been no reason to make it illegal. Maybe our founding fathers were responsible men who could use cannabis and alcohol and even heroin in moderation. If everyone was a responsible user, there would never have been a reason to make it illegal.

As Philip Seymour Hoffman said to Tom Hanks in "Charlie Wilson's War," "You ain't no Thomas Jefferson."

mmjPatient22 4 years, 6 months ago

There appears to be a stigma that exists in the minds of those that protest RE-legalizing cannabis that makes any argument null and void, unless it's coming from someone who has some fancy initials after their name. Surely, the entirety of cannabis users must be losers, idiots, deadbeats and have nothing to contribute to society. They are not only devoid of worth but they must actually be a burden on society as a whole, right?

If only there were a way to see, from an inside, intelligent(maybe someone who works at Harvard or some doctors) and well-balanced point of view, the most complete debate for cannabis as it exists in society today.....

mmjPatient22 4 years, 6 months ago

What about the non-medical uses for cannabis? What about replacing cotton, saving the acreage dump on paper making, and ending dependence on fossil fuel?

Try to understand what I'm saying before shooting from the hip in defense.

homegrown 4 years, 6 months ago

mmj, I'm not sure you understand the history of cannibis and its uses. Most likely cannibis became illegal due to many farmers and the ability to grow tobacco for profit. You keep talking about the non-medical use of cannibis. If you want to grow fiber for rope, fuel, clothing etc. it is not the same plant, it is hemp and it is grown differently. It actually is probably easier to grow since it is closer to a weed than good canabis. This is truly the battle for there is not reason for hemp to be illegal. It is only so because it has always been associated with canabis. George Washington grew hemp. I'm excited that medical marijuana is on its way for as all of you know it does have its medical benefits, but don't confuse hemp and marijuana and don't think for a second that you can't be pulled over for driving while under the influence of drugs. Sober is sober, that means no alcohol, marijuana, crack, etc. Also it trully is up to any employer whether they want to drug test for hiring or not. I can guarantee you the CDL bureau doesn't want a bunch of marijuana smokers on the highway even if its for medical reasons.

trump_suit 4 years, 6 months ago

You need to review your history better Aich, Marajuana was initially made illegal to fight the problem of illegal immigrants from Mexico. Any clue what that year was?

Jeff Kibler 4 years, 6 months ago

For a bit of history vis-a-vis hemp, simply Google "hemp william hearst." I'm not a botanist, all I remember from BIO 101 is Family Genus Species. I confess, I did inhale. I never really enjoyed the MJ high, though. Regardless, hemp and MJ are different and separate animals, and I support the legalization (re-legalization, per se) of both.

MsRed: I quit playing bars because the ethanol fueled patrons seemed to think it was fun to launch themselves into the band and the band's expensive instruments. I guess they needed a better mosh pit.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 6 months ago

Oh, and for the sake of taking cheap little jabs at each other, I may not be Thomas Jefferson, indeed. Actually, I'm pretty sure that I am not. As a matter of fact, I am no more Thomas Jefferson than you are Albert Einstein or a member of the Mensa society.

aichempty 4 years, 6 months ago

mmj,

Unfortunately, friend, while I am not a member of Mensa, I do qualify. This is based on SAT scores greater than 1300 taken prior to the cutoff year stated on the website. If you go to the Mensa website it gives several different standardized tests which can qualify you for membership, and I made it by a comfortable margin on the SAT so I didn't bother to look up the others (like military GCT/ARI scores, etc.). I never joined because my wife is a lot smarter than I am, and people at her level of intellectual function think that the Mensa crowd is full of people who think they really are smarter than anyone else. In fact, to get into Mensa, you only have to be in the top 2%, and in this country, that's around six million people. Not a very exclusive group when you think about it.

I believe my problem is that I grew up around non-abusers (including alcohol) and even alcohol carried a stigma in the Bible belt. Most of the kids in my high school graduated, and almost 90% went on to college. I attended a top 10 engineering school on an academic scholarship (Navy ROTC) and became an officer and a pilot in the Navy. My peer group from age zero to 33 was made up of pretty smart people who were also psychologically well-adjusted. It wasn't until I was exposed to the rest of the Navy on a shore-duty staff assignment that I had to deal with "average" people. Holy $#!+. We had one sailor who was busted for pot on a urine screen, and when she went to Captain's Mast (non-judicial punishment) for the pot offense, her defense was that she was a Wiccan, and her religion required her to perform homosexual acts and use drugs on a daily basis. Needless to say, she left the Navy shortly thereafter. Anyway, it's experiences of this sort with pot smokers (and there were a lot of them to deal with in the surface Navy) that have colored my impression of pot abusers.

I think that growing hemp would be a great idea if we could use it to manufacture things in this country. I'm sick of buying cheap t-shirts from Pakistan, poorly made dress shirts and slacks that wear holes in the pockets from sitting on my wallet.

Trumpy,

Yeah, the zoot-suit crowd was part of that, right? 1930's maybe? Cocaine was also taken out of Coca Cola and other over the counter preparations in the first part of the 20th century, I believe.

See, guys, there used to be these things called "temperance" and "responsibility" and "raising your kids" which have all gone down the drain.

The problem is not the drugs. It's the abusers. If only 5% of the population can't avoid abusing the stuff, that's way too many people to write off. So, don't blame "us" for pot being illegal. Blame the people who can't handle it and cause problems.

We live in a great country, but the idea of freedom without responsibility is ruining us.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 6 months ago

How can the problem be abusers? You just admitted that parenting, in general, has gone down the tubes. Why isn't the focus more on the crappy parents in this country that never should have had kids in the first place? Once again, you're prosecuting the gun instead of the person who's finger pulled the trigger.

Blame. You want to know who's to blame for the current prohibition of cannabis? Big business, mostly comprised of industrial companies(Dupont and pharmaceutical companies for the most part) that stood to lose big time if hemp was allowed to compete for a market share of their respective business, and corrupt policy makers like Harry Anslinger are the ones responsible for taking a crop that was once a federally mandated responsibility to be grown by farmers and turning it into something to keep the Mexicans out of our country. Furthermore, I wasn't even blaming anyone. You are twisting data and putting words in my mouth. I too could make all sorts of crazy accusations, for example; you're a nazi. I have very little to back that claim up, but it could be true. Just because I said it, it does not automatically become fact, truth or even sane. Get your facts right. Your ignorance and incomprehension of facts in this matter is both astounding and stifling. But you are correct on something. Reckless use of ones freedoms is ill-advised and mostly gives the rest of us(Americans) a bad name. Regardless, you still spout lie after lie and quote ignorant propaganda like it's going out of style. But that's your right, provided for by the First Amendment.

aichempty 4 years, 6 months ago

mmj,

Okay, dare I say it? The crappy parents also include a bunch of people who are substance abusers.

Be realistic. You expect irresponsible people to avoid having children? That's how most unplanned kids get here in the first place.

If Dow or Dupont (I forget which it was) had lost the economic edge with getting nylon products onto the market because of hemp, would this be a better country? Maybe, but not if you had to depend on silk from China to make parachutes during WW-II.

I agree that hemp should be allowed.

I disagree that big business is responsible for the ban on cannabis. It's your elected representatives and senators in the U S Congress and at the state level. A constitutional amendment could change the whole thing. Can all those hundreds (probably a few thousand over all 50 states) of elected representatives be wrong? If they are, why are they still in office?

You've chosen an unpopular cause to champion. You should be happy you can buy your medical marijuana and use it without fear of prosecution.

Here we are, 50 years into the Civil Rights movement and some African American people are still suffering. Some of it is their own fault for not taking the opportunities given to them, and guess what? Marijuana isn't helping them get ahead. I know a whole bunch of AA people who are successful, responsible and respected members of the community, so things are better, but more time is required. To expect pot to become legal and mainstream in less than 50 years is probably over optimistic.

A wise friend of mine once remarked that "old white guys have been getting together to screw people over for hundreds of years." The way to change that is to compete head-to-head with them, rise to power, and become the dominant force in society. It will take time if it does happen.

In the meantime, do you really want to dedicate your life to smoking pot and promoting hemp farming? If it was legal, I'd have several acres of it in cultivation myself rather than paying to have grass mowed all summer long.

The reason there were slaves in America is that people in Africa captured members of their own race and sold them to plantation owners in the Americas. Who gets the blame? The buyers. What about the sellers? Don't hear much about that, do we?

The real bottom line in this controversy is that a lot of people are getting ####ed-up on marijuana instead of being productive, honest citizens, and that's the problem you have to overcome. Get people to stop abusing, and the problem will go away.

bandmama 4 years, 6 months ago

aich- first of all, your comments about race, religeon, and abortion have nothing to do with pot use, ok? I have tried really hard to refrain from commenting alot of your posts, but come on, your comments above basically is saying that pot is the reason for bad parents, hate to tell you this, but bad parents happen without weed. As long as you seem to equate personal experiences with debate, let me tell you a story, as the person in THIS story sounds like you in the pot debate, she is very much against drug use of any kind...but, this person (ok, hate to admit it, cousin by marriage....eeww) has never held a job, has always been supported by welfare and government assistance, has had three kids. First one? Died from inhaling substances he shouldn't have been. the second? Died from a prescription drug overdose. The third? In and out of prison for various offences. AND recently got out of the hosp after a nice domestic dispute with his girlfriend, who by the way doesn't do drugs either, but seem to have anger issues and also support the kids on our tax dollar. The mother in question? Goes to the ER at least once a month for various ailments, to get pain meds. Why the ER? Of course, MEDICAID PAYS FOR IT! And the pain meds, but you know what, according to her anyone who smokes a joint will burn in Hell. You need to stop equating life loosers with pot, your points are really becoming offensive to many that work hard to support the family that they ARE taking care of, whether or not they smoke, drink or whatever. I would rather support hemp farming than paying for someone elses hospitol bills, groceries and housing, while they spout the same bull as you.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 6 months ago

Aich, do you have any clue, and I'll go ahead and assume that you don't, about the composition of the material used for the rigging that held the silk parachute over Bush Sr.'s head when he had to bail-out over some very hostile Japanese islands? I'll give you one clue; it rhymes with dot.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 6 months ago

And who says we need a constitutional amendment to get cannabis RE-legalized? The federal income tax act never met the required number of states needed to ratify a constitutional amendment and today it's one of the most prevalent taxes we get the pleasure of dealing with for whole of our employed lives. Technically, the federal income tax is illegal but you still pay it, right?

trump_suit 4 years, 6 months ago

Aich, so in your opinion what is the driving reason behind the problems of guns, gangs and violence in our urban areas? What has helped those problems and what has made them worse???

mmjPatient22 4 years, 6 months ago

homegrown..... I can assure you that I don't need a refresher coarse, especially from you, on the history of the thousands of different uses for hemp or differentiating between hemp and cannabis(which is the correct spelling, by the way) grown for medicinal purposes. Interjecting something that begins with, "Most likely cannibis became illegal due to many farmers...," into a debate that is clearly rife with historical fact and people that, for the most part, know what they're talking about and how to properly use the English language to convey their thoughts about the interpretation of the actual facts and data........not the best idea, dude. You completely ignored or misread the part of my post that read, "...that there should be some legal protection for the patients that have previously been denied employment at low-risk/low-hazard jobs that still require drug testing."
Driving a big rig through most parts of the nation is far from low-risk. I too believe, as implied in my post, that people in those lines of work should continue to be heavily drug tested. However, there is one pitfall that is inherent in drug testing as we know it today. Test results from my urine, blood of hair would not and could not provide conclusive enough evidence to prove that I have used marijuana with-in the last 24 hours. The closest that any test can get is a little under a month. Tell me, what value can you assign to a test that produces such loosely interpretable time-line data? I'd say minimal, at best.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm well aware of the implications of a positive result on a drug test. What you don't seem to be picking up on is how unreliable the tests are. Let's say that I do end up flippin' fries for the golden arches. If I screw up and dump a basket of fries on someone, and they decided to test my urine to determine if I was high, or impaired, at the time of the accident, the only positive result they would be able to get would not be able to indicate whether or not I was impaired at the time of the accident. It could tell them that THC had been introduced into my system at some point in the last 3-4 weeks, but nothing else. Let's apply this concept to another commonly abused substance. How viable would a DUI case be if they collected their breath-a-lizer test data for the case the morning of the trial, even if the guy was plastered out of his mind? "Sir, you are hereby found guilty of driving under the influence on the night of the 11th. You are drunk now, so you must have been drunk then." If you don't see the problem with this, maybe you need to open your eyes a little bit more. The underlying attitude of America needs to change towards people that medicate with THC. America has to stop viewing these people as having nothing to offer to the workforce and society as a whole.

The only anger you could have picked up on is the frustration of dealing with someone that, obviously, does NOT fully know what they are talking about. So, you'll understand if I pass on taking instruction from someone that misspells the word "cannabis" two different ways within one paragraph. Ignorance, especially prideful and arrogant ignorance, is insulting to a lot of people. So yeah, I'm gonna get a little angry towards the ignorant punk that thinks he's going to sit me down at a desk for some learnin'. If you haven't noticed, I'm not some bumbling idiot. I have a half-decent command of my native language and a passion for this topic that will burn in my heart till my last breath. S, please, understand that when you come at me, expecting me to back down and roll-over for ya, you might just have another thing coming. Also, maybe you need to broaden the base of research techniques that you call upon for your little fact finding missions. You're not going to find much by googling, "pot made illegal to keep Mexicans out of America." You'd have as much luck finding what your looking for with that as you would if you googled, "freedom and democracy," and expected your results to contain vast praises of the USA PATRIOT act. So, for educational purposes only, here ya go sport: http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/LIBRARY/studies/vlr/vlr2.htm

homegrown 4 years, 6 months ago

mmj, you seem really angry for a marijuana smoker. I'm not ignorant of the actual facts and data and you still don't seem to be ably to separate your hemp and cannabis. The word "pot" is slang that developed from smoking cannabis so the rigging was really made out of hemp. Two similar yet seperate plants. Also it doesn't matter if you were drug tested to turn the fries at Mcdonalds, if they found that you smoked in the last day, week, month or year, which is any positive result from your test they can decide whether they want to hire you or not. Thus there is no legal protection from an owner of a business to not hire you unless its race, sex, etc. It seems to me that you should just be happy that you can relieve your medical issues with marijuana and you should lighten up. Oh, could you set up the link that says marijuana was made illegal to keep mexicans out of our country. I just couldn't find that fact.

aichempty 4 years, 6 months ago

Bandmama,

No, there are crappy parents who don't smoke pot. There are also crappy parents who smoke pot and set a horrible example for their kids.

mmj,

I'm telling you how to get it done. If you don't want the help, and can't face reality, that's your problem. It's not going to magically happen without government taking positive action, and that's what the Congress and state legislatures have to do to make pot legal.

As a veteran, you are eligible for a 5-point hiring preference for federal employment. If you are diasbled as a resuilt of service, it goes up to 10 points. There are plenty of office and clerical jobs that don't require drug testing. You only need to move to a place where the jobs are available.

trump,

Cultural mores are the driving forces. They must be changed. Acceptance of drug abuse and crime by the people in the community are the problems, and only those people can solve them.

Duke_bets 4 years, 6 months ago

mmj - Drug testing for employment is not designed to point out those that are loaded while filling out the application. However, it may be a tool used in ranking applicants. If you can't pass a drug test, when you know a drug test is going to be administered, you're probably not a worthwhile candidate for employment.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 6 months ago

Also in the news is the debate in California about what is legal dispensary. It looks like they are headed to a consensus that it must be a nonprofit. LA County has reached the conclusion that patients cannot pay money at the dispensary. That if they are just sharing the costs of growing it then they have to reimburse the grower directly and can only pay actual costs.

The idea of running a business that dispenses pot to people is under very close scrutiny.

homegrown 4 years, 6 months ago

Hey all, when all is said and done how will the insurance companies deal with all this. Will they be able to look at a national list of medical users and then look in the past records of the insured to find out if they checked the "non smoker" box. I'm sure theres a few people that checked the non box because they didn't smoke cigarettes?

mmjPatient22 4 years, 6 months ago

Duke... So the problem is passing a drug test? Because I can pass a drug test. But honestly, how deceitful would I be in presenting myself that way? I am not a person who would normally pass a drug test, so why should I "blow smoke up yer skirt" to get a job? Who would you rather have; 1) the guy that smokes for medical purposes, and tells you about it, or 2) the guy that doesn't tell you and, instead, buys a detox kit to pass the whizz quiz? I gotta say, if I were an employer, I'd want the honest guy.

aichempty 4 years, 6 months ago

mmj,

With government jobs, it's not whether you are impaired or not. It whether you are using an illegal substance.

A person with a prescription has nothing to fear from a drug test that shows the presence of the substance. Impairment is a different matter, and is determined by field sobriety tests or BAC or levels of the substance in the blood.

If you took vicodin with a prescription last night and dumped fries on somebody today, you might still get fired. On the other hand, if you are in a government job and took vicodin last night and have to take a urine test today, they'll only want to see the bottle and check the prescription. No problem. Legal is legal.

The real controversy is whether a federal employee legally using pot in Colorado can keep a security clearance or avoid being fired if they pop positive on a urine test.

If you dump fries on somebody and pop positive on a test for THC, your employer might be liable if they knew you were a medical user. If the employer doesn't know, then his insurance would probably cover him, but YOU might be individually liable and be left without insurance coverage from your employer's policy.

You can't expect to work for somebody else while using pot for pain control. It's just plain dumb to expect anyone to accept that situation. It would be the same with any substance that impairs a person, even the legal ones. Employers have a duty to not place employees or customers in danger, and having an employee on the job who is impaired by any pain killer would be negligent.

If you have to stay "medicated" to get through the day, you shouldn't be working. I'm guessing you're not.

Duke_bets 4 years, 6 months ago

mmj - I'd take the guy who is smart enough to pass a drug test over the guy who admits to smoking dope all day.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 6 months ago

Duke- You're telling me you'd just rather not know about it if you're guy is smart enough to fool you into believing he doesn't smoke weed? I guess some people don't mind surrounding themselves with liars. That may be fine for you, but I'd rather be working with/for someone that has the ability to be honest with me. Maybe I'm just weird.

Aich- I would love to hear your explanation of why the federal government started a program over 31 years ago that still supplies marijuana to a handful of people today. If the federal government truly believes in the evils and horrors of marijuana, then why do they still grow it for people? Tell me how the same body of government can maintain the validity of it's classification of marijuana as having zero medicinal value, while at the very same time it distributes the very same marijuana to the remaining 4 people who's marijuana use is not only federally protected but federally supplied. I can't wait for you to explain away the fact that the very source of all the anti-pot propaganda is also growing the same substance for distribution to a very limited number of people. Please enlighten me as to exactly what it is that makes this hypocrisy justifiable.

seeuski 4 years, 5 months ago

Well well, maybe legalizing pot will indeed have a benefit to society.

ABC News Sunday: "Not there yet, but the roundtable seemed to think that the legalization of marijuana is coming. John Podesta even suggested (in jest?) taxing marijuana could be a way to pay for health care. The times they are a-changin'."

aichempty 4 years, 5 months ago

mmj,

Easy. Research. It's authorized by law.

Marinol is available by prescription to anyone.

Have you tried it?

There are over 400 representatives and 500 senators who could vote to grant your wish today. You should really spend your time convincing them. Debating Hypocracy with me is pointless. It will never change anything.

If you want to know how our government really works, let me tell you about a U S Supreme Court decision I read a while back. A Petition for Certiorari was denied for a death-row inmate on the grounds that the question of law at issue in the lower court appeal had already been settled by the Supreme Court. The fact that the lower court failed to apply the precedent correctly was an error, and the U S Supreme Court doesn't exist to correct lower court errors. So, there is a case on record where a person was executed despite an error in a lower court because the U S Supreme Court had more important matters to consider.

Now do you understand?

It's up to us to live the best way we can in the face of an oppressive federal government and an unfair judicial system. The legislators are puppets of special interest groups. There are very few honest, honorable people in the legislative branch because people like that won't pander to the voters to get reelected. Big business gets special attention because they contribute big money to political causes. A common person like us with a genuine beef based on unfair treatment has pretty much one option; get used to it.

If big pharmaceutical companies buy the votes of U S Congressmen and keep marijuana illegal, there's not one G#######d thing you can do about it. You're just not important enough for anyone to go out of their way to fight for you.

Now, if you were an African American lesbian who was raped by Muslim terrorists and then dragged to the emergency room with a logging chain behind some redneck's pickup truck, somebody would figure out how to make political hay out of it and there would be a bill introduced in Congress to put a tax on logging chains to raise money to compensate victims of hate crimes.

As it is, you and I are whiner white boys who don't garner much sympathy from the oppressed minorities and national news media, so we're both out of luck. The difference between us is that I've already found it out the hard way, through the courts, while you are still in denial.

Have you noticed that the price of gasoline has jumped in the past few days? That's much more important to mainstream America than whether you can smoke medical marijuana in Kansas. If you can find a way to increase gas mileage by 50% by adding a hemp filter to the fuel system, you might get some support.

Duke_bets 4 years, 5 months ago

mmj - I'm stating that if hiring policies required the passing of a drug test, I can weed (no pun intended) out applicants that fail. If a drug test is part of the application process, why apply if you're going to fail............Stupidity would be the answer.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 5 months ago

Thank you Trump.

Duke- Believe me, I can pass a drug test next week despite my continual usage of marijuana. This is the concept that I'm referring to. It would be completely dishonest of me to detoxify my system sufficiently enough to pass a drug test in light of my medication choice.

Aich- I'll get to you in a little bit. You are not entirely off base but I would be lying if I claimed to agree with you on 100% of that last post. I must admit that I was almost half-impressed by some of the attitude(s) I picked up on.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 5 months ago

Aich- Albeit misplaced, I appreciate your concern for the type of medication I use. To take Marinol would be like wearing a patch to quit smoking, or drinking 3.2% beer. I would much rather trust a natural substance over it's pharmaceutical "equivalent." And I hope you're not trying to imply that the government program I was talking about is for Marinol. The government program that I'm "reefer-ing" to is one that mails 300 machine rolled joints to it's participants. They don't get any pills and they don't get anything that has been tampered with. The government grows pot for these people, harvests it and then sends it into a rolling machine to pump out perfect little joints by the thousands. Then it mails it to these people for free. Smoking cannabis is indeed harmful because of the other elements in the smoke besides the THC. This is why such a large portion of the cannabis smoking population have converted to vaporization. Vaporizing my medication eliminates well over 90% of the carcinogens that would have been created had it been incinerated. Vaporizing is, by far, the healthiest method of inhaling cannabis.

aichempty 4 years, 5 months ago

Well then you just need to figure out how to get into that program.

Write to your congressman. Best of luck.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 5 months ago

I'd love to but Bush Sr. closed the program to new candidates and allowed the 13, at the time, to be grandfathered in. There are only 4 participants left today. I don't need to be in the program anyway. I'm allowed by law to grow my own medicine, so why would I want some government crap in the first place?

aichempty 4 years, 5 months ago

So why are you complaining?

Does Miracle Grow increase your crop? Or do you use cow manure, particularly that from bulls, to stay organic? I suspect it's the latter, because some of it seems to be coming through . . .

trafficman 4 years, 5 months ago

50 states times 2 senators per state equals 100 the last time I was in second grade.

Duke_bets 4 years, 5 months ago

mmj - You can't pass a drug test today. So sad that today is the only day for testing and hiring. You need 2 to 3 days to prep for the test. Get it!

aichempty 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, trafficman, you are right. 100 Senators. Senior moment :-) When I was in the second grade, there were only 96 (48 states). There were 50 states and 100 senators when I took Civics in 9th grade, and then I lost interest when Ted Kennedy was elected after drowning that girl in his car.

435 Representatives, I think.

Some folks are urging me to run for Congress, but I'll drive off that bridge when I come to it.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes aich, please run for Congress. I can't wait for you to run for office.

mmjPatient22 4 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if there would ever exist a Colorado policy maker that would actually fight for medical marijuana patient's rights. If ever there were such a person to exist, they had better end up talking to this guy at some point...... http://potpatientpower.com/

trump_suit 4 years, 5 months ago

Looks to me like those 20 years are coming to a close Aich. Even the politicians are starting to believe that mistakes have been made. This issue is like an avalanche that has just broken loose.

trump_suit 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes, Aich please run. One look at your anonymous posts on the issues would make your opponent a shoe in.

aichempty 4 years, 5 months ago

Don't hold your breath. The states are not going to let pot use go unregulated.

The ironic thing is that, if pot is legalized, I'll be in a position to grow acres of the stuff and make a killing. :-)

mmjPatient22 4 years, 5 months ago

After all of the endless posts consisting of little more than horses#!+, you openly admit that you'd be growing it, and your bank account, if cannabis were legal? What a loser! It's hypocrites like you that give Americans everywhere a bad-name.

And who said anything about unregulated pot use? Cannabis legalization models are being formulated from current alcohol regulation and taxation. And the numbers look good. In every aspect, cannabis beats booze hands down. It even kills less people, actually zero.

trump_suit 4 years, 5 months ago

It would seem that the avalanche is gaining momentum.

What was it that you just said Aich?

"Don't hold your breath. The states are not going to let pot use go unregulated." This proposal comes as close a alchohol does it not?

trump_suit 4 years, 5 months ago

PS. If you read closely, you will find that the reasons for this action from the political and LEO standpoint seems to be that the black market is causing more problems than the substance itself.

Where have we heard that before?