Steamboat Briefs: Big Head Todd to play free concert Dec. 23 at ski area

Big Head Todd & the Monsters will play a free concert Dec. 23 in Gondola Square at Steamboat Ski Area during the U.S. Olympic Trials in Freestyle & Nordic Combined Skiing, scheduled for Dec. 23 and 24.

Led by guitarist and singer Todd Park Mohr, Big Head Todd & the Monsters is a Colorado-bred group with local ties that has bent the lines of Americana styles for more than 20 years.

In a news release Tuesday, Andy Wirth, senior vice president of sales and marketing for Steamboat Ski and Resort Corp., said: "The quartet's : blend of rock, folk, blues and soul have earned the band worldwide popularity with a wide musical audience, especially here in the Yampa Valley."

Listen to music from 12 of the band's live, studio and archive albums at www.bigheadtodd.com/music/listenforfree.

Watch part of the band's 2008 concert at Red Rocks Amphitheatre at www.steamboatpilot.com or www.exploresteamboat.com.

Church holding coat drive in Oak Creek through Nov. 7

The Parish of St. Martin's in Oak Creek is holding its St. Martin of Tours Winter Coat Drive.

Coats, hats and gloves can be dropped off at a collection bin inside the Oak Creek Liquor Store during business hours at Holy Name Catholic Church in Steamboat or at St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church any Sunday through Nov. 7.

Coats will be distributed to those in need after noon Mass on Nov. 8.

Appel family exhibit opens Thursday at local museum

An exhibit about Routt County's Appel family opens Thursday at the Tread of Pioneers Museum, 800 Oak St.

It's billed as "an exhibit honoring a family ranching tradition 108 years in the making." Call 879-2214.

Comments

bandmama 4 years, 6 months ago

jk- thanks for the support, check out Ghost Ranch on the 21st for a fine example of local music! Jeff- point taken! What about Art in the Park and other smaller venues that support our locals? BTW, several of these local musicians do have contact with bigger names

boater1 4 years, 6 months ago

big head todd again??? cool & all it's a free concert, but that band is so boring. every song sounds exactly the same.

why doesn't the person who makes this decession notice the number of people attending are off when they play and people are just standing around bored to death. i guess bht must be cheap to book.

dave reynolds 4 years, 6 months ago

seems pretty simple to me you don't like the show don't go..I find it fasanating that no matter what Ski Corp does there is ALWAYS a certian segment here that thinks they can do better..put up or shut up

boater1 4 years, 6 months ago

paddlefisher, of course i can choose with my own free will. i'm just stating my opinion. ski corp has brought some amazing band to the base! i know i attend them all. my point is bht is just so played out. when they play people are bored. there is no excitement of people dancing like crazy around the stage. no buzz. people just go to be social and bs w/ there friends. i hoping whom ever makes the decession at ski corp realizes this and chooses better next time.

freerider 4 years, 6 months ago

Boater 1 ...I'm with you one this one...I've yet to see one good rock and roll show here in Steamboat ... I really can't think of one amazing band anybody has brought in here ever .. Mostly middle of the road " safe " bands that are boring for sure ...I just caught " Buckethead " at Mishawaka in the Poudre Canyon ...talk about a cool show...that place has it going on ...at least the price is right for this show.. how about LES CLAYPOOL

dave reynolds 4 years, 6 months ago

ok ....maybe you should maybe you should reseach who books these bands and give them a list of some up and coming ones maybe they could book them even cheaper

jk 4 years, 6 months ago

Buckethead are you kidding me?? Nothing like some mime standing there half assed playing a loud guitar to bring the people out in droves. As boater said about bht it would be a good show to socialize at if only you could hear yourself.

bandmama 4 years, 6 months ago

there are so many local bands that rock, groove, jam and roll that could use the publicity and maybe the money also, why not keep some of these funds local and support some of our own? Just curious.

jk 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm with you mama, are you and your gang ready to throw down?? We could have a locals show showcasing several different local bands. Im sure they would all be willing to take a cut of what it takes to get a headliner to play. Grow the local talent!

freerider 4 years, 6 months ago

JK have you ever been to a les claypool & Buckethead show...?? local talent ...hahahaha I've yet to see a local band that can tune their instruments .....

Jeff Kibler 4 years, 6 months ago

To the above whiners: why don't you get the financing and the organization to produce a show featuring bands you prefer?

freeloader: I can hardly wait to hear your local band.

Put up or shut up.

jk 4 years, 6 months ago

free, no I have never been to a show of theirs, and there is a very distinct reason for that. Basically they are not that good!Sorry our musical tastes differ but I find it hard to imagine those clowns would have a dozen people standing around, let alone dancing.

kathy foos 4 years, 6 months ago

Asleep at the wheel at the court house was good,The nitty gritty dirt band played .What about a local battle of the bands?That including folk and western music,there is a need to support the local bands.By the way isnt Big Head Todd a local ?I have heard that he lives part-time in Routt county.Any one that expresses themself by playing music deserves respect and a thank you for the live music ,it is not a very financialy sound effort and should be taken as a gift,by the listener.

colorado1 4 years, 6 months ago

I saw the Chris Watson Band at Ghost Ranch I think Oct 9, he was fantastic! I know he has played opener for Kenny Wayne Shephard last summer free concert and was at Ghost Randh over July 4 wkend. Really good. He's not that well known - YET - but he's getting there cuz I heard him on the radio. I think he would be great, lots of energy. BHT is kinda boring.

kathy foos 4 years, 6 months ago

Well now that has to be an exception to the rule,Worst Band Ever,I noticed that there was no audience.Thanks for the laugh?