Mike Forney: Stop casting stones

It is so sad that so many people who know Kent Nightwalker have been silent about the man and his positive contributions to the community. What he did was wrong, dangerous and the height of poor judgment. He has paid the price for that with a small fine and incredible humiliation.

On the other side of the ledger is Kent's work for years bringing clothing, food and materials to the poor and unfortunates in Native American reservations. The large white Nightwalker van that Kent and his wife fill from local donations travels frequently to these remote locations - and the costs are borne by the Nightwalker family. Kent is an active member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church and gives tireless to the vestry and youth programs. He also is a genuinely nice person who I am proud to know.

All of you who castigate Kent probably have done something stupid during your life. I know I have. Most of us don't get caught, and, hopefully, we learn from our mistakes and go on. A few get exposed for dumb acts. Kent has been in a very small group who find themselves exposed to the max on the front page of local and regional newspapers.

Let's stop casting stones and let the man go back to what he has been doing for years - serving others and giving of himself to the less fortunate.

Mike Forney

Steamboat Springs

Comments

freerider 5 years, 2 months ago

Mike Ted Haggard was a bible beater too....you sure you wanna put this guy on that pedastal as well .....good luck with that one

Scott Ford 5 years, 2 months ago

Mike - Great comments and well said. We all have and will make errors in judgment. Let he/she amongst us who has never made an error in judgment cast the first stone.

Guinevere 5 years, 2 months ago

Mike - Yes, nice sentiments but selectively applied. Ironic that you didn't use the same compassion and forgiveness toward another who made a mistake and found "themselves exposed to the max on the front page of local and regional newspapers."

It seems that you have a double standard (for your friends) when it comes to casting stones. Have you lost track of the other letters you've written?

flotilla 5 years, 2 months ago

It really bothers me that Nightwalker won't pay for the taxidermist and move on. The pelt is not his to keep. The fact that he does not seem to understand this is what makes me think he doesn't take the crime he committed seriously.

Brian Kotowski 5 years, 2 months ago

I'd be willing to cut him some more slack if he hadn't been such a weasel about it. His account of the incident strains credulity, to say the least:

1. He ran for Daddy's gun because he was "trying to leave town." So he shoots the bear, the coast is clear, he's free to leave: and he doesn't. He puts off his important journey until the next day and calls it a night. WhatEVER.

2. He positions himself "10-20 feet" from the animal, and despite the fact that he "couldn't even see it", he takes the shot. At something he "couldn't even see". Wouldn't you LOVE to have Mr. Nightwalker and his high-powered rifle living next to you and your family? I know I would.

3. He was trying to shoot "into the dirt." Aiming at the ground, in other words. And kills the bear with a single shot to the back of the head. Daddy's gun must have been loaded with one of Oliver Stone's magic bullets.

4. He says it was "me and the bear for 45 minutes." The call log has him reporting the bear at 9:59. His neighbor reports the bear dead 14 minutes later.

That he so freely contradicts himself in a public forum suggests he's none too bright, and a liar to boot. Mr. Nightwalker poses much more of a threat to public safety than any scavenging bear. He has acquired all the slings and arrows the old fashioned way: he EARNED them.

Dumpy_the_Wise 5 years, 2 months ago

Holy Cow, this has gone on long enough.

Ya, he shot a Bear when he should not have. And like Mike said, he paid the fine and is now going through a lot of humiliation. People sit there and point fingers, over an animal? It's not like these things don't die everyday. Please people, it just so easy for you to sit on the sidelines and laugh at this guy. People are stupid, there is no doubt about it. And every single one of you has done something as stupid as this. There will always be more bears, and until people shut up and realize that controlling nature does nothing, we can finally get on with our lives, or much, much bigger problems.

Scott Wedel 5 years, 2 months ago

It is hard to reconcile not just his actions that night, but his statements regarding that night which appear to be contrary to the facts in a number of ways, with his charitable actions.

And he should be extremely thankful that he shot a bear in SB as compared to shooting himself in New York City. Plexico Burress is spending a couple of years in jail for what in SB would presumably result in a small fine.

Brian Kotowski 5 years, 2 months ago

Dumpy_the_Wise writes:

"And every single one of you has done something as stupid as this."

Sorry. Not even close. I have never fired a gun in a residential neighborhood - endangering its residents in the process - in an effort to chase off/kill something I "couldn't even see."

Additionally, I haven't noticed anyone "laugh[ing] at this guy." Excoriating him, yes. There's nothing funny about what he did.

bandmama 5 years, 2 months ago

Dumpy- would you be laughing had he shot a human? (that "I couldn't even see?") AND...Your comment "over an animal" shows how little value you place on life in general. Dumpy ain't so wise now, is he? That said, if the bear had been charging at him and his life in danger I would have no issue with the shot being fired. The dude was just in a hurry and killed something. Isn't very funny is it?

bandmama 5 years, 2 months ago

oh, and ahhhh. No. I have done some stupid things, but never been stupid enough to shoot a firearm in such a situation. And I am willing to bet that most of the folks who have posted here haven't either. But if you are one of those that HAS done something this stupid, can you please tell the rest of us about where you live so that we dont wander or walk by your driveway at night? thanks.

dave reynolds 5 years, 2 months ago

Sep the bear had camo gear on and cleverly diegised itself as the ground..anyone who owns a firearm KNOWS THAT YOU DONT DISCHARGE IT IN A RESIDENTIAL AREA

bandmama 5 years, 2 months ago

paddle... everyone knows you dont discharge a firearm in a residential area, except those of us in hurry to leave town who cant aim very well, and just happen to hit an animal dead on in the head. But seeing as the bear had camo................... he might have been armed as well. There certainly are two sides to every story.

mavis 5 years, 2 months ago

In NORMAL towns if you do what he did you LOOSE your right to own a weapon, your right to hunt FOREVER and whatever you used in the illegal hunt, home, truck, knives and so on. Steamboat apparently has its own special rules. BUt what is SO frustrating is the discussion over the Taxidermy bill. Really if he was decent and taking ownership for his mistake he would pay the bill and donate the Bear.
THAT is why people are upset. Everyone makes mistakes it is how you handle them and move on. He made a mistake, he is so lucky he didn't kill anybody but he needs to PAY for the bill and most of us would move on. He should pay the bill and donate 5 thousand to Search and Rescue.
THen he can keep his rights.

seeuski 5 years, 2 months ago

Wow, If one can't see the difference between firing a pistol in a crowded nightclub in NYC where gun rights don't exist and a person firing a legally owned weapon outside of his home at a wild bear in this mountain town there's nowhere to go from here. The man was wrong for what he did, he was adjudicated and has since apologized and paid his penance that the court imposed. What do you people want? Public stoning? Move on folks.

seeuski 5 years, 2 months ago

You can't handle the truth. The truth is obvious, the bear was shot by the man, it is dead, the man was charged and sentenced, he paid up, there will be no stoning here. Sorry.

bandmama 5 years, 2 months ago

I think we were asked, "What do you people want? Public stoning" Does it have to be public? I would settle for a private one till he pays the for the taxidermy bill. Wouldn't expect anything else from him except that he learn how to handle a firearm. And seeuski, you are right, he was sentenced....lightly, for the disreguard of public safety. And BTW, I dont condone pistols in nightclubs either, no matter where the nightclub may be. It is that pesky little public safety thing that bugs me.

2strokesmoke 5 years, 2 months ago

I just wonder if nightwalkers friends would be so fast to come to his defense if "shooting into the dirt" the rifled slug riccochet would have gone into a neighbors house and killed a child, mother, father, dog (oops thats an animal doesnt count) thats what I find so appalling about this whole fiasco, I also agree his statements totally contradict the facts and make him sound more idiotic. it was just a bear but could have very easily been a human then what?

seeuski 5 years, 2 months ago

I have no idea who Nightwalker is, never met him, it's just that these posts are proof positive that vigilante justice is dangerous. Get a rope! It ain't the world according to bandmama after all. If you don't like the justice that was imposed you can get a robe and find a bench, if it's along the core trail I'll wave and jog on by.

And bandmama, I haven't said I agree with the sentence I just feel like the Judge examined the evidence and ruled, no one posting here was privy to the evidence that the Judge used in the ruling so we move on or do we?

Brian Kotowski 5 years, 2 months ago

seeuski:

You're the only one caterwauling about ropes and stonings. A cowardly tactic, I might add: employing deliberately false exaggerations to imply that legitimate disagreement is therefore spurious.

I also disagree with the nation's current choice for President. Doesn't mean I think we should introduce him to a noose.

Grow up.

kathy foos 5 years, 2 months ago

Isnt Sticks and stones will break my bones but words (truth) will never hurt me?They stopped stoning so long ago,Im sure glad,Its bad anyone ever was stoned by a crowd,so horrible that it is not even a comparison in this situation,words are not stones.

bandmama 5 years, 2 months ago

sledneck-first of all, LOL!!!! And I do have a job. But very nice point, thank you for a bit of reason. Secondly, seeuski-see sep's comment above, no one else has mentioned stoning or any kind of vigilante justice but you. See also 2strokesmokes comment... that is the point that I am trying to make. As far as the sentencing, up to the judge. But yes, I do feel that the person who shot the bear should pay for the taxidermy bill. Thats all. And if it were the World According to Bandmama.... I would have to take the advice of some of the others and rolled the guy in honey and Lucky Charms and stuck him back in the dumpster to await natures justice....... but alas, it isn't.

dave reynolds 5 years, 2 months ago

seeuski..i can handle the truth just fine.but for this person to discharge a high powered weapon in a high denisity area is just plan stupid.what if im your nieghbor and do the same thing and the bullet takes out the windshield of your car..your gunna what them to throw the book at me..to say you where aiming(hahahaha)10 to 15 feet in front of the bear a just happened to hit it in the back of the head.yeah right and he will sell the rest of you swamp land in florida.so im setting up a target range over here a t west acre village yall are welcome to join in the fun..lots and lots of sarcism

seeuski 5 years, 2 months ago

Where is duke-bets when you need him? Hey paddle, hope you didn't drive home from the bar just now.

To the rest of you, It is obvious that you people are not happy with the justice that was served by the judge and I feel this call for action is getting out of hand as is evidenced by what bandmama said....."if it were the World According to Bandmama:. I would have to take the advice of some of the others and rolled the guy in honey and Lucky Charms and stuck him back in the dumpster to await natures justice::."

I guess I should save my posts for the battles worth fighting, like speaking out against the Chavez style of Government we are being confronted with. This issue is just not that important at this point, it has been dealt with.

Oh, and one last thing. Sledneck, too many people need jobs right now.

Brian Kotowski 5 years, 2 months ago

In seeuski's Kucinich-Kumbaya universe, we must all "move on" from something that has been "adjudicated." In seeuski's Kucinich-Kumbaya universe, OJ nearly decapitates his wife & her Lothario, and we're not entitled to question the "adjudicated" decision. In seeuski's Kucinich-Kumbaya universe, Bill Ayers, in his own words, is "guilty as sin, and free as a bird." And you'd better not presume to criticize the result. It's been "adjudicated", dontchya know.

The rest of us, who reside in the reality-based community, understand that the system frequently gets it wrong. The rest of us understand that the system and its authorities are not exempt from the microscope the First Amendment entitles you & I to put them under. Just ask Kerry St. James if not for the refusal of the rest of us to "move on", those two Rainbow morons would probably still be in jail for taking rotting cucumbers from Sweet Pea's trash.

seeuski 5 years, 1 month ago

OJ plead innocent and was pronounced not guilty after 15 minutes of deliberation by a jury that included someone who gave the black power sign in court. Bill Ayers is an enemy of the USA and friend to the President so how does that relate? Nightwalker plead guilty and received a sentence.

Great comparisons. And I guess comparing me to Kucinich is supposed to have me calling you names here. Ain't gonna fall for it.

bandmama 5 years, 1 month ago

seeuski-you brought up..."my little world", and yes, in MY little world I firmly feel that punishments should fit the crimes. Just because a criminal gets a light sentence in MY little world, does not make the crime go away. Are you saying that in your little world, a child rapist who says he certainly raped a child but is sorry for it and serves a minimal sentence and goes out to do it again should be allowed to do so? If someone kills someone, but admits that his actions were wrong, that person should get a slap on the wrist and be on with his life? Yes, I realize that in some minds, it was "just a bear" that was slaughtered in downtown SBS, but the reckless lack of safety for the others is a bit distrubing to me. In the human world, OJ was found in a civil trial to be responsible for those deaths. The criminal system may have failed, but he was held accountable in a way (slight, but in a way) The "victim's" family in this little story didn't get that right, now did they? And... I am not comparing you in any way to Kuninich. Dont you think that if there had been any sincerity in the apologies that there would be no question in who is to pay for the taxidermy bill. I think it is the cocky attitude in which the refusal was made that annoys me. If there was a lack of ability to pay for it, I am sure that some arrangements would have been made. Please refer to the first paragraph of this article, "what he did was wrong, dangerous, and the height of poor judgement. He has paid the price for that with a small fine and incredible humiliation" this was written by someone defending him! Now seeuski, you seem to be one with intelligence and sense of community if you had done something so "wrong, dangerous, and the height of poor judgement..." would you honestly have the balls to state (or allow your representation to do so) in such a public way that you had no intention of paying for the services rendered to take care of your mistake? (btw, I still stand firm on my Lucky Charms policy...for now.)

dave reynolds 5 years, 1 month ago

i was a little over the top yesterday so i appoligse..it just seems with the poaching laws so harsh that this guy got a slap on the wrist...seuski i can see why you thought i had just came from a bar but i haven't been in one in almost 8 years unless you count ore house or he old west

seeuski 5 years, 1 month ago

Bandmama, I think there are some misunderstandings going on through this thread. I never voiced any agreement with or opposition to the sentence handed down in this case I just felt that a member of this community, whom I do not know, has had his day in court and that the anger being voiced here and on other stories about this case was getting out of hand. After the back and forth with you and Sep and some further thought I have a better understanding for the ideas and positions you both have expressed. Having said that I can't support my position as previously stated because I agree with the fact that there have been injustices in trials that have angered me as much or more than you two have expressed and two of those did have to do with the child molester that was released and the OJ farce.

Paddle, No offense meant, it was meant to be lighthearted.

Good god, I sound like Kucinich. I'm jumping in for a cold shower.

bandmama 5 years, 1 month ago

seeuski- you have my respect for the above post. Thank you! (but I still think that Lucky Charms would be in order till the bill is paid......) Enjoy the shower.

Brian Kotowski 5 years, 1 month ago

seeuski:

Kucinich was a cheap shot. I take it back.

Incidentally - have you ever seen Dennis and this guy in the same place at the same time? http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/gollum.jpg It bears thinking about.

seeuski 5 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for the laugh Sep and thanks also to bandmama.

Maybe this is for a different topic but I highly recommend the new film documentary "Not evil just wrong" about global warming, I just saw it and it has important information about the false data being used by Al Gore and the IPCC.

The future is at stake.

bandmama 5 years, 1 month ago

seeuski- and sep.... really!!!! hit the Ghost Ranch on Wed...... AND I will watch the above........... it will be nice to shake hands. Although!!!! have a job, will only catch the first set!!!! it is about respect, isn't it? Pilot does do it's job..........".Steamboat style"!!!!