SteamboatPilot.com, ExploreSteamboat.com receive upgrades

SteamboatPilot.com and ExploreSteamboat.com users will notice a new look and improved functionality to both sites beginning today.

At the heart of the upgrades is the conversion to the newest versions of Django and Ellington CMS, but Steamboat Pilot & Today Editor Brent Boyer said most users will be more interested in the redesigned look and features of both sites.

SteamboatPilot.com's new look starts with its flag and menu bars and continues all the way down to a redesigned video player, improved search function and revised calendar tool.

Among the new or updated features:

• Registered users can create avatars for their profiles and access a special account page that can be personalized to their interests.

• An improved search function queries all SteamboatPilot.com stories, photos, videos, documents, events and online comments.

It also allows users to sort search results by publication date.

• An enhanced calendar feature allows easier viewing of events.

ExploreSteamboat.com , a comprehensive online business directory and arts and entertainment site dedicated to Steamboat Springs and Routt County, also underwent extensive revisions.

Boyer said a much-improved homepage design complements the site's successful blending of business directories and event-related information.

Among ExploreSteamboat.com 's new or updated features:

• Registered users can submit business reviews and ratings.

• Business search results include a map of the business location, as well as a summary of that business's user ratings.

• A homepage content widget incorporates Best Bets events listings, blogs, news stories, restaurant reviews, videos and photos in an easy-to-navigate format.

• An enhanced calendar feature allows easier viewing of events.

Boyer said the Steamboat Pilot & Today would continue to update and improve both sites, and he encouraged users to send their ideas and critiques.

For more information, call Boyer at 871-4221 or Steamboat Pilot & Today online development manager Tyler Jacobs at 871-4231.

Comments

Kevin Nerney 4 years, 10 months ago

Call me "old school", closed minded, whatever but I for one don't like the new format. For one the font is to small,two it no looks like every other e newspaper and three I don't know what a "django" is nor do I have any interest in learning about Ellington CMS or whatever that is.And what is an avatar? (other then a new movie by James Cameron due out soon). Why can't things just be left alone, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Brian Kotowski 4 years, 10 months ago

Kevin:

You can click on View at the top of your browser and adjust the text size to your liking. I use Mozilla, and it's a "zoom in" option. In IE, I think it's labeled "text size."

Carrie Requist 4 years, 10 months ago

How do you find the newest comments? I see the Most Discussed tab, but I am looking for the list of commented-on articles with the one with the most recent comment first. I read through the paper online in the morning and then I like to come back and see what comments have been made throughout the day and I can't figure out a way to do this in the new format.

Other than that, new format looks nice. I have found a couple of either messed up pages (Contact Us) or empty pages (more popular link at the bottom of Most Discussed) that make it feel like maybe the site was not quite ready to roll out.

James Earley, MCSE 4 years, 10 months ago

I like the new look. Django is OK - if you're familiar with Python. I Use joomla; I like the modules and extensions available free, and there's a huge amount of free templates as well.

Don't worry kevin - you don't need to know internal combustion motor theory to drive a car, and you don't need to know anything about content managment systems to surf the web.

addlip2U 4 years, 10 months ago

Where is the news? So many adds, I can't find many news. It is starting to look more like a magazine, not worth the time spend to search for few articles.

Jeff_Kibler 4 years, 10 months ago

It's definitely a bandwidth hog. Browsing comments requires returning to the home page and refreshing all the flash advertisements etc. Hardly green.

Jeff_Kibler 4 years, 10 months ago

You can easily disable Flash, so no ads and no video. Does anyone know how to disable the incessant, repetitive, twittering twits on the home page?

Blythe Terrell 4 years, 10 months ago

addlip2U: We don't have a local news list on the bottom of the home page as we used to, but you can find all local stories by scrolling over "News" in the top navigation bar and going to "local" and other categories.

Carrie: I believe the "most discussed" list includes the stories with the most recent comments at the top. We just tend to have some older stories that people continue to discuss (Steamboat 700 content and Harriet Freiberger's 9/11 column, for example).

Thanks for participating in the conversation, everyone.

Blythe Terrell City Editor 871-4234

mmjPatient22 4 years, 10 months ago

Blythe- Do you get anything from clicking on the link at the bottom of the "Most Discussed" section that says "More Popular"? All I get is frustrated.

Tara Schupner 4 years, 10 months ago

The font, at least on the main page, is definitely too small. That has nothing to do with the size you choose in view for your browser ... it's just simply too small. I'm not that old (not even 30), and the font size on the default view makes my eyes hurt. I think you guys could bump up the font size without losing anything from the page. Ideally, people shouldn't have to zoom in so close that the ads on the left go out of view.

Also, serif font for headlines? YUCK. Looks amateurish.

Banner is nice, but very, very reminiscent of parent company Lawrence Journal World's site (www.ljworld.com).

Several pages are incomplete, as well. Agree with commentator who said this site doesn't appear ready for roll-out.

Blythe Terrell 4 years, 10 months ago

mmj: When I click on "more popular," I see the option to look at most e-mailed and most discussed. That does appear to be identical to the options on the existing tabs up above. Thanks for noting that kink.