Slopeside Grill bartender Rebecca Boucha places a bouquet of flowers in front of the restaurant Tuesday afternoon in memory of her boss Chris Corna. "He was a good friend and an even better boss," Boucha said.

Photo by Matt Stensland

Corna death ruled suicide

Port Chester Police Department: Investigation not complete

If you go

What: Chris Corna memorial service

When: 5 p.m. Sunday

Where: Slopeside Grill, 1855 Ski Time Square Drive

Call: Lindsey Grannis at 846-5680 for more information

Donations: In lieu of flowers, donations should be made in Corna's name to Routt County Humane Society at 879-7247 or Doak Walker Care Center in care of the Healthcare Foundation for the Yampa Valley at 871-0700.

Free shuttle and food: In tribute to Corna, Go Alpine will provide complimentary shuttle service Sunday from the memorial to in-town locations from 7 to 9 p.m. Cafe Diva is offering complimentary hors d' oeuvres after the service and is moving its Sunday reservations for "date night" to Monday.

photo

Chris Corna

photo

Slopeside Grill owner Chris Corna, right, positions one of sixty 300-pound blocks of ice with, from left, Rob Capone, Larry Flynn and Steve Walsh to create a slopeside ice bar Feb. 18.

— The Westchester County, N.Y., Medical Examiner's Office has ruled the death of Slopeside Grill owner Chris Corna a suicide.

"I cannot disclose information," Deputy Medical Examiner Alexander Milovanovic said Wednesday, "but we have enough to conclude that was a suicide."

Port Chester Police Department officials said they have confidence in the medical examiner but that they have not yet concluded all steps of their own investigation.

"Although : now it appears the determination may in fact be suicide," Det. Lt. Royal Monroe said, "we have not completed all the investigation matters that need to be completed. : Obviously, the medical examiner is very skilled. : That doesn't mean our side of the investigation is complete."

Early Monday morning, Corna, 45, crossed the centerline on U.S. Highway 1 in Port Chester, N.Y., and crashed into the foundation of a railroad bridge, according to police. He was found alone in the car and no other vehicles were involved in the accident, police said.

Corna's injuries included stab wounds inconsistent with his car accident in the town about 30 miles northeast of Manhattan.

Lt. James Ladeairous said the stab wounds on Corna's neck and chest appeared to be made by a knife that was found in the rented car Corna was driving. Ladeairous said there were no witnesses of the accident. There have been no arrests, and Monroe would not say whether there are any suspects or people of interest.

"I don't discuss the details of investigations," Monroe said.

Monroe said reports related to the investigation would be released when the investigation is complete. The Westchester County Medical Examiner's Office said a request for their autopsy report would have to be made in writing. The Steamboat Pilot & Today has sent a request.

Corna's fiancee, Lisette Coen, said she received text messages from Corna's phone shortly before his death. Ladeairous said he could not say whether Corna also made contact with anyone else.

"He supposedly had text somebody that he was upset about something," Ladeairous said.

News of Corna's death has devastated friends and family members across the country, from his mother's home in Los Angeles to Steamboat Springs, Corna's hometown of Columbus, Ohio, and Coen's home in Greenwich, Conn.

Corna called Steamboat home for the past 17 years. He had been visiting Coen and her four children in Greenwich since early May and proposed to her last week. Coen said she did not notice Corna leaving her house the night of the accident.

"It's beyond words," Coen said Tuesday. "He always told me he wanted to be my rock, and he was. He was the type of person you want your son to be like."

Port Chester is across the state line from Greenwich. Ladeairous said Corna was driving south on U.S. 1 away from Greenwich and in the direction of New York City.

Ladeairous said Corna could have been driving between 35 and 55 mph when he struck the foundation of the railroad overpass. The posted speed limit on U.S. 1 through Port Chester is 30 mph. A toxicology report is pending.

Flowers, photos, notes and mementos have been placed outside Slopeside Grill at the base of the Steamboat Ski Area. Memorial services are planned for 5 p.m. Sunday at Slopeside, and in Columbus, Ohio. Details for the latter service are not available.

"Steamboat will never be the same without Chris Corna," friend Lindsey Grannis said Monday. "He was one of a kind, and a big piece of my life is missing."

In tribute to Corna, Go Alpine will provide complimentary shuttle service Sunday from the memorial at Slopeside to in-town locations from 7 to 9 p.m. Cafe Diva is offering complimentary hors d' oeuvres after the service and is moving its Sunday reservations to Monday.

Comments

greenwash 5 years, 6 months ago

Reaching Everyone Preventing Suicide (REPS) Tues June 2 6-8 PM All ARE WELCOME SBS Community Center

jimbo 5 years, 7 months ago

true friends wouldn't try to control what other people say...why is it disrespectful to have questions and voice them?...you seem to be saying the only way to respect chris is to STFU....well no....if I was murdered and the cops called it a suicide I would want the truth found out and my friends to push for it...i can't believe CC stabbed himself in the neck and drove into a bridge...murder is set up to look like suicide??? so don't tell me by voicing my thoughts and questions I am disrespecting anything

1999 5 years, 6 months ago

i think there were alot of things people did not know about CC personally.

jimbo 5 years, 6 months ago

Did Chris ever struggle with mental illness/depression? Was there anything in his past that suggests this might even be remotely possible?

drumski 5 years, 7 months ago

Apparently Chief Wiggam has been assigned to the case.....unbelievable.

drumski 5 years, 7 months ago

There is no way in hell.........

Fabulous investigation.......they take all of 48 hours......I cannot believe this!

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 7 months ago

Pure crap! That's all this investigation was. We need to see the coroner's report & tox findings.

janrt 5 years, 7 months ago

ridiculous! why dont the cops get the text messages off his phone and his fiance's and see what he wrote-duh!

drumski 5 years, 7 months ago

Do they realize that the texts could have been sent by someone other then Chris.......????????????

Something is really wrong here, there is no way Chris would have done this!

alohamomma 5 years, 7 months ago

Police Department 350 N. Main St., Port Chester, N.Y. 10573 (914) 939-1000

If enough people call....

WE ARE NOT GOING TO LET THIS GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT!!!

steamboatsprings 5 years, 7 months ago

They have to be kidding!!! This is such a setup it's not even funny. Chris is a fantastic guy and saying he ended his life right after getting engaged is beyond reason. Anyone who knows Chris knows the police have failed here.

freerider 5 years, 7 months ago

gotta agree with everybody ...no frekin way ...this smells like lazy cops , jumping to conclusions for sure , how could they possibly make a ruling like that so fast ....

tweetyrmj 5 years, 7 months ago

This is ridiculous. Who would even CONSIDER suicide after becoming engaged to his new fiance and four little children. Just because they didn't find someone else's fingerprints on the knife, does not justify SUICIDE!! Maybe we all watch too much CSI to EXPECT them to be doing SO MUCH MORE to solve this. Shame on that police dept. Like "drumski" said, it took them a whole 48hrs.

alohamomma 5 years, 7 months ago

Please tell me if I am wrong (I am no expert) but doesn't the medical examiner determine the CAUSE of death not HOW it happened? When Lt.Laderious was contacted, he would not say anything about fingerprints, a note, etc.

ljcolorado 5 years, 7 months ago

There is NO WAY. absolutely NO way. I can't remember the last time I met someone more full of life!! - these people don't know Chris. Don't stop calling those authorities - he would NOT have done something like that - it doesn't even remotely add up. RIDICULOUS!!!!!!! Something very unusual happened. but NOT him taking his own life. They are flat out WRONG. God bless Chris's family his fiance and those children and all his friends - I can't believe this insult to painful horrendous injury. That Lt. and the Med Ex office should be ashamed to announce something like that. You are all in our prayers. So sorry for this tragic loss - our heartfelt condolences.

LB 5 years, 7 months ago

This guy was the epitome of living life to the fullest, from travelling all over the world, to not engaging in some of the negative habits that perpetuate the service industry. I've been wrong before, but I can't think of one thing said or done by this man that would point to suicide.

chris woodie 5 years, 7 months ago

I wish I could be there on sunday, but I cant make it. My love to everyone from the Slopeside.

mtnbikr714 5 years, 7 months ago

Suicide is an impossibility. I won't believe it, ever. Everyone who knew Chis knows this did not happen the way they are reporting. We need our own investigator. Is there a way we can get them to review it at a state level?

Terry Noble 5 years, 7 months ago

It seems more than obvious that Chris was well loved in this town he called home. I can't make the service Sunday but will be there in spirit as I'm sure Chris will. It's a shocker and sad loss for us all no matter what the reason. Never forget to tell people how you feel BEFORE they're gone!

sue weber 5 years, 7 months ago

'Hollywood', I will miss your never ending smile. You are dearly missed. I hope you know how many people's lives you touched. The Memorial Tournament will be extra special to me this year. My heart is extremely heavy . . . my condolences to the Corna family . . . have faith.

mtbikegrl8000 5 years, 7 months ago

This is BS-there is no way that Chris committed suicide.

goremtn 5 years, 7 months ago

It just seems unbelieveable that they would reach this conclusion so quickly. Seems like there is an unstable person in this situation with a motive.

alohamomma 5 years, 7 months ago

does anyone have any other suggestions besides calling the PD in new yorK???

RangerRoutt 5 years, 7 months ago

why is there no news on this tragedy in New York or Connecticut newpapers or online...seems like Steamboat is the only newspaper reporting on this....wtf?

cliffwood 5 years, 7 months ago

rest in peace Chris, you have done so much for all of us, I am truly sorry we couldn't do for you. We'll miss you and Love you forever. Cliff and Merdy

bfreas 5 years, 7 months ago

I don't believe this entire NIGHTMARE. I have known Chris for over thirty years. There is no possible way Chris would have done anything like this. He always had a zest for life and lived it beyond most peoples imagination. For all that had him touch their lives are better people to have known him. Please keep his family in your prayers.

Shame On the Port Chester Police Department!! Get a Clue!!!

From all of Chris's Texas Friends. Don't Forget "THE BIG DOG"

mbee 5 years, 7 months ago

This is news is absolutly ridiculous and we as a community have to figure out how to find justice for chris. we have to fight for him. my prayers go out to the families of chris and his fiance. rest in peace

chris woodie 5 years, 7 months ago

Suicide???? PUH-LEASE!!!! That is an absolutely ridiculous assumption. No way in hell!

RangerRoutt 5 years, 7 months ago

thank you seeuski....that article makes me even more sick in my stomach...

Campo 5 years, 7 months ago

I remember the first time I met Chris (I only met him a few times). I was amazed with the way he carried himself, the love that he had for all around him, and the compassion that he showed towards other people. I didn't know him nearly well enough, but, I could see all the qualities of a man who was in touch with his surroundings and his community and loved both. It pained me to hear of his passing and pained me more to see the fallout from the investigation and thus the comments that sprung up on here. While I agree that certain institutions have not handled this matter in the way it should have, we must remember that it is now our duty to remember Chris in the way he would have wanted. Sunday should be a celebration...a celebration of a life well lived and of a person who we will all miss and cherish close to our hearts. Let the police, medical examiners, and newspapers to their business which few of us understand and let us focus on our task...remembering a great man who touched us all in a wonderful way!

I will end with a quote which I dedicate to the Steamboat community and also to Chris.

"Each one of here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give, is not wanted. And so it those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding." -Rev. Maclean, "A River Runs Through It"

stillinsteamboat 5 years, 7 months ago

I would suggest hiring a top notch private investigator STAT. Time is of the essence here.

ljcolorado 5 years, 7 months ago

I just pray that there is actually an investigation going on and that this is all a big misunderstanding. I pray the Pilot will continue to investigate and report facts and updates because this was not a suicide. Maybe a local reporter could actually fly out east personally and look some of these people in the eye - it's insane. I guess it would be trivial to point out probabilities or any statistical information re: how a mentally and physically healthy man MIGHT decide to end their life IN THIS WAY - IF this is indeed what happened; someone who apparently had nothing but the happiest times ahead of him. All I can think right now is this is so painful for Chris' loved ones. praying mainly for a peace within Chris's family and friends - that justice will be done. Such a tragedy and now this flurry of insanity on top of it. we can all pray for justice for Chris - justice and truth. Hopefully no more inflamatory headlines either in our hometown or elsewhere. So sad.

1999 5 years, 7 months ago

ljcolorado....sadly the infalmatory headlines is what will get a real investigation going.

i just want his family and fiancee to know that he was such a well loved, kind and generous man.

his parents did a great job of raising him and fiancee, though short lived, must have been pretty special herself.

i didn't know him other than having a crush on him (tee hee) but from what I saw he would never have killed himself.

something is fishy.

mystikmuzak 5 years, 7 months ago

I don't think that I worked for a better guy. RIP Corna. I pray they find the truth.

ljcolorado 5 years, 7 months ago

it appears the news story has been updated to reflect all the 'out of state' calls too numerous to count - I guess the inflamatory headline did do something - you are right 1999. Chris's family and friends have to deal with the injustice and pain of anything written - it seemed so cruel to indicate suicide if anyone knew Chris they knew right away that wasn't possible - now hopefully the authorities out east know it too. Let justice be done and those calls never stop until they actually realize no one accepts this is suicide and the answers exist - but not that one. Not possible. - maybe Chris is getting their attention and they are actually sitting up and taking notice. All I really know is God Bless Chris and his loved ones and that this is a universal loss for so many people - rest in peace.

gatorhunter 5 years, 7 months ago

I have a friend in Portchester who I am going to question r.e. their police department and see if he can find out anything on that end. This is so wrong. I agree that there is no possible way that Chris would have killed himself. Never. The last person who ever would do so.

Mary Stanton 5 years, 7 months ago

Does anyone know if they actually DID pull the ex husband in for questioning or if it was just gossip mill cr*p?

Mary Stanton 5 years, 7 months ago

Scott, I'm sorry for your friend in San Jose, but that wasn't Chris, period.

cliffwood 5 years, 7 months ago

For you, Chris

You belong among the wildflowers You belong in a boat out at sea Sail away, kill off the hours You belong somewhere you feel free

Run away, find you a lover Go away somewhere all bright and new I have seen no other Who compares with you

You belong among the wildflowers You belong in a boat out at sea You belong with your love on your arm You belong somewhere you feel free

Run away, go find a lover Run away, let your heart be your guide You deserve the deepest of cover You belong in that home by and by

You belong among the wildflowers You belong somewhere close to me Far away from your trouble and worries You belong somewhere you feel free You belong somewhere you feel free

I always remember that Tom Petty concert at Red Rocks with you! Jas, Josh, Cliff & Merdy

rfrinks 5 years, 7 months ago

God bless Chris and his family. He was truly a kind and generous soul. We're stunned that his death was ruled a suicide and find it more than hard to believe the evidence is clear enough to make such a bold ruling so early. Not to assume or to be insensitive, but does anyone else question Lisette Coen's story? Or, believe that Chris would have a ligitimate reason to be driving around at 4 am in the morning? What did Chris' text messages say? Any reason the Police would rule it a suicide to protect their crime stats? So many unanswered questions and reasonable doubt that the Port Chester Police and Medical Examiner should take their time before jumping to conclusions. Does the Pilot intend to send an investigative reporter to look into this matter since their local press has all but written off the story? Will the Steamboat Police Department get involved to help investigate one of our own? This unbelievable situation is far from over... We'll all miss you dearly Chris!

janrt 5 years, 7 months ago

whats with all these posts being removed? FREEDOM OF SPEECH people!!!!

RobinC 5 years, 7 months ago

No Way Bro! We e-mailed about my family and coming out to see you next year recently and meeting in LA when the Gators kick whomevers rear end they play! To quote JJ Grey, "You lived life like there was no end in sight"! Brighter Days bro! Love you and I'll miss you! It was my pleasure knowing you! Peace be with you and your family! Go Gators! Number 4 is for you!

TWill 5 years, 7 months ago

The Pilot owes us an explanation of why all these comments are being removed.

mystikmuzak 5 years, 7 months ago

It is pretty funny that an institution such as a newspaper that CHAMPIONS first amendment rights, in fact you often run Ann Coulter's column, which most Steamboaters find disgusting, and say stuff like you are trying to give everyone an equal voice. Well SCREW YOU Pilot for deleting all of these peoples postings. How dare you. You should be ashamed. Or maybe you didn't know Corna. Because if you did, you would share in everyones anger and confusion. STEP IT UP PILOT. This is way more important than the crap you normally put in the paper. DO YOUR JOB. BE REPORTERS. LET THE PEOPLE SPEAK. I'm disgusted

janrt 5 years, 7 months ago

what reporter tibella? from the Pilot? Most journalists...ughhhhh if this post goes missing, we know something is rotten in Denmark--errr Steamboat

janrt 5 years, 7 months ago

there they go again!!! post from tiBella just goes missing saying that ex is"allegedly" being brought in for questioning. "Alleged" takes the 'libel and slander" away editor!!!!

seeuski 5 years, 7 months ago

Do we know if the police closed the case yet or was that their preliminary findings and we are relying on the accurate media? Lets see what tomorrow brings with all this pressure. How do we as community heal from such a huge loss? Hope that Sunday's memorial helps.

RangerRoutt 5 years, 7 months ago

dear Comment Nazi, please explain why i can't post an innocent website...after all it is on the web already. If you remove a comment please explain why, this is your new job now isn't it? You know, to sit there and stalk comments and then violate our constitutional rights.

Brent Boyer 5 years, 7 months ago

All: I appreciate the sorrow, anger and disbelief being expressed by Chris' friends and acquaintances. I certainly hope this forum provides an opportunity for readers to share in their memories of Chris and their feelings about his death. However, posts that make unsubstantiated allegations against other individuals, or link to sites that make such allegations, are unacceptable and will be removed. The Pilot & Today will continue to report on this story and press the appropriate law enforcement agencies for any and all information related to the case. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via e-mail or telephone.

Brent Boyer Editor, Steamboat Pilot & Today 970-871-4221 bboyer@steamboatpilot.com

Chad James 5 years, 7 months ago

Well, based on this unabashed violation of thier own policies, it shouldn't be long before the Pilot pays that $50K they took from the school district for "unlawful private meetings" back to the People.

Rick Akin, where are you?

Chad James 5 years, 7 months ago

Brent, we're posting information ALREADY AVAILABLE on the web. Seriously....

janrt 5 years, 7 months ago

Thanks Brent~ for at least commenting and responding, but some of the posts didn't have much "meat" in them, so why did they get removed? Once again, as Chad just said, all you have to do is google Chris's name and you get the info all over the web in "real articles". I live in the Vail valley and the Vail Daily doesn't do half as much editing as you guys. They only edit for swear words, etc.- this is merely our "opinions" here....this isn't a court of law so no libel or slander should even come into play. When 100% of the people that knew Chris are questioning a "possible" murder case, we should all be able to post our "opinions" shouldn't we? besides...its good for your readership numbers.

Chad James 5 years, 7 months ago

With all due respect to Brent and the Pilot....news is news. Liability issues (a purely American phenomenon, by the way) make it difficult to know what is acceptable to ALLOW in posting and what isn't. We all have to remember that this isn't, in fact a truly public forum. It is owned by the Pilot, moderated by the Editor himself in this case. If we'd like more information on the case we can do our own "googling" of Chris Corna, or Greenwich Diva, or anything that we want. It doesn't mean that any of it is "true"...but of course what is "truth"? Bias exists in all media no matter how hard the editors, reporters, etc. of the world try to avoid it.

cliffwood 5 years, 7 months ago

To all the wonderful people helping with Chris's memorial on Sunday, a Great Big Thank You, I know there is so much work involved in putting this together in such a short amount of time, and just a request, if someone calls to help out, Please don't turn them away, everyone just needs to feel useful and like they can give back to Chris in some way. Chris has done so much for all of us, and I think there are just so many who don't know what to do with themselves right now, and I believe it would help with the healing.Please let those who NEED to help, help. Thank You, Merdy

rujokn 5 years, 7 months ago

I just suggested the removal of Brent Boyer. Brent: We know you are in control here, but remeber that little thing in the constitution called "Free Speech". I don't think you should edit any of it.

Especially when it concerns a community member and everyone is on the same page.

Are you Joking? Suicide. Unfortunately they don't appear to be....joking. Just lazyness by our east coast professionals that know soooo much and are so used to death.

We aren't joking. We care. Right Steamboater's?

Can we just ally ourselves, for once, on this?

Come on Brent...

fenwick01 5 years, 7 months ago

My post, too, was deleted, which IS frustrating. I was careful not to fingerpoint, yet my voice was muted. Perhaps we should consider the possibility we may be compromising an ongoing investigation? There must be a SIGNIFICANT reason we cannot discuss our lost friend and the possibilities of his life's end which stretch far, far beyond the "great 48-hour investigation". EVERYBODY KNOWS THE CONCLUSION OF THE "INVESTIGATION" IS ABSURD. Now... we must believe it has not been ruled conclusive. Certainly, the people responsible for bringing justice to light have inclinations as well. Until responsible people act responsible, maybe we should call, write letters... do everything possible - but not in a public forum, which allows for scrutiny and may provide defense and assistance to the person(s) truly responsible. It may be hard to believe in faith right now, but let us all try... I believe Chris is in God's embrace. Tell the police, tell the reporters, tell everybody who will listen that this is wrong! Just don't post your hypothesis here. We get deleted and our voice is not heard. Until the truth comes out - and long after ... great love and prayer to Chris and his family. The world will never be the same, but is much greater from his 45 years here.

Scott Wedel 5 years, 7 months ago

How in the world did my previous post violate terms of use???

I mentioned a friend in SJ that shocked everyone with his suicide.

The closest I came to an allegation about someone was to say that it is possible for anyone to commit suicide.

Or is this forum limited to saying that there is no way that Chris committed suicide and the police messed up their investigation?

catsmeowtwo 5 years, 7 months ago

To all you angry people: Is this really the proper forum to vent your frustrations with the media? Not only are the comments, rants and raves inappropriate, they are most likely hurtful to those of us who knew and respected Chris in life and in death. Until the coroners report is made public it is not our place to determine how or why Chris died. I would suggest that the next interview about Chris be written by a grief counselor, so as to help all of us deal with the loss of a good man.

wildhorsejumper 5 years, 7 months ago

To Catsmeowtwo...thank you. I cannot wait to hear about all the investigative reports...fingerprints, suicide notes, toxicology reports, etc. We will have closure about Chris' death and it is getting closer all the time. Unfortunately we have to be patient. All this evidence takes time. If it was suicide, so be it, and may Chris be at peace...if it was murder, they will get to the bottom of it and arrest whom ever was responsible for this terrible crime.

alohamomma 5 years, 7 months ago

catsmeowtwo= i agree with you but this happens to be the only place where we know we can gather and discuss things, unless someone has another forum where we can all meet. we are all so frustrated and confused. what IS incredible about all of this is HOW MANY people have an opinion about what happened, how many people were touched by Chris and are passionate about finding the truth, how great our community is...Who knows how much of an influence all of the phone calls to the pd was in "continuing" the investigation.

We all just loved, admired and cared for Chris and no matter what the outcome is, he is gone and we will celebrate his life on sunday, gathering together.

Scott Wedel 5 years, 7 months ago

Brent called me and told me that my earlier post was an accidental removal.

This is not the time for people 2,000 miles away with no special evidence of the stabbing and crash to say that the police have failed to properly investigate it and to instead speculate.

When/if there is an article on the report from the medical examiner and whatever other evidence then that would be the time and place to say what is wrong with the police investigation.

Chris will be missed.

Let us also please recognize that one person's apparent suicide often gets other people thinking about suicide. So please do not be afraid to get help for yourself or others that is thinking or talking about suicide.

1999 5 years, 7 months ago

brent...you posted unsunstantiated 'facts' that his death was a suicide.

get a grip dude...you look foolish saying that you don't want to postunsubstantiated websites but post unsubstantiated news.

what the hell????

playa46 5 years, 7 months ago

Wow people:

I never knew Chris, and I admit the evidence could be faulty, but why not enjoy the fact that you knew him? I am sure Chris would not be happy with the way things are going right now...seriously, shut up and smile.

TheBeard 5 years, 7 months ago

Everyone loved Chris because he was such a giving and selfless person. By the overwhelmingly passionate responses to all of the articles, hopefully our collective love of this great man has impressed itself upon those who are continuing the pursuit to get to the real story of what happened. Our diligence has done its good up to this point, but please also, friends, show some patience with these detectives, as maybe there are things going on that we cannot be made aware of at this time in the investigations. Chris was an icon of patience, persistence, and understanding, so let us show our respect of that in the next few days by exercising it ourselves. I will see you all through teary eyes on Sunday. -Jay Mogil

rujokn 5 years, 7 months ago

This venue is not about journalism. None of us are paid by the Pilot. This venue is about comment and criticism ranging from praise to venting. We are all adults here. No need to edit in my opinion.

Rest In Peace Chris.

soontoboat 5 years, 7 months ago

Such a sad story. My thoughts are with Chris' family and friends.

It seems kind of silly to let this tragedy turn into a First Amendment debate.... The Pilot has its reasons for editing comments on THEIR website. Let it go...

pamandtom 5 years, 7 months ago

No Way! Chris was so full of life - and was planning a life with a wife and family. He had no reason to take his life & let's face it - who would stab themself, throw the knife in the back seat, then crash a car - rediculous! The police over there need to continue investigations so that we can all rest in peace.

You will be truly missed, Chris! We are all fortunate that you were in our lives, but it's just not fair that someone took your wonderful life away from you and all of us.

freerider 5 years, 7 months ago

There is way more going on here than a suicide, hey Boyer why don't you run the story about the girlfriend's ex getting arrested and assauting two police officer's ....that's called investigative reporting ??? I can't wait to see the real story after it breaks...it's kind of pathetic that I had to google this instead of reading about it in the Pilot...

sickofitall 5 years, 7 months ago

The ex-husband was allegedly arressted and tazered multiple times. April 14 2009 alleged drunken assault on two officers, October alleged sexual assault. Has there ever in history been a suicide of stabbing ones self repeatedly in chest, neck & throat, while driving 35-55 miles per hour and crashing a car??? How can anyone believe that? More likely he was being stabbed by someone and was trying to drive to safety??? A carjack, or he stopped to help someone? maybe he was sneaking to Manhatten to buy fiance a super surprise?? That would be more Chris's style.

Campo 5 years, 7 months ago

Why don't we leave the journalism to the journalists, the investigations to the police, and why don't we, Chris's friends, focus on remembering Chris for the wonderful person he was?

Some are pretty disappointed in the way some of you are handling the ongoing investigation. Since this article was posted, some of you have turned this tragic event into a free speech argument, some are accusing the police of being corrupt, some of you have gone as far as to look beyond the legal system to accuse another man of a crime he might not have commited, and some of you are starting to attack each other. Fortunatly, some of us are finding peace within ourselves and the situation. We are focusing on remembering the man, not how he died.

Let me ask you this...If Chris was to be watching all of this happen, what do you thin HIS reaction would be? Likely appalled that the community he loved and supported is bascially turning on itself and forming a cyber lynch mob to handle the job of the police. How do you think this ongoing community banter is affecting his family. I don't know them well, but, I imagine that they are trying to grieve and deal with the loss of their only son...their baby boy. Jasmine's parents, Cliff and Merd, do know Barbara - and their greatest concern is for Barbara - who loves and cherishs Chris beyond any of the pain we are suffering. Please let Sunday be a time of reflection and peace, not the anger surrounding the details of his death.

What we all know for sure is that Chris is gone and we will all miss him dearly. Why don't we focus on Chris, leave the investigations to the professionals, and celebrate a life well lived?

I am not condoning or condeming the way that the investigation has been handled. I just think we need to shift focus from finger-pointing, name-calling, and general bickering with each other and focus on the man, his life, and the unfinished legacy that he leaves behind.

-Jasmine and John

rujokn 5 years, 7 months ago

Guess it just matters more to some than others that this bizarre story just doesn't go down in the memory books as suicide... which we just all know isn't what happend. And may the important point is that we all know that couldn't be in our hearts. But then the crime does go unpunished.

This could be the perfect forum for people to get their thoughts out unbridled whether it be anger or disbelief or wonderful memories of the man. That is an important part of the grieving process.

untamedShrewd 5 years, 7 months ago

freerider 5 years, 7 months ago

CAMPO .. I'm a friend of Chris and I don't want to see his unfinished legacy being smeared by a suicide ... I think if Chris was able to say something he would want the truth be to known especially if there was foul play involved....which I personnaly believe is the case here.. anybody that knows Chris knows this wasn't a suicide...if you google around you will find out this is not an open and shut case.. people are upset at a hasty conclusion by the police...do you have any idea what a suicide report does to a family..?? it's not cool to jump to conclusions and release something like that until all of the investigation is finished..this is an example of extremely poor police work done on a loved member of our community... Chris will rest in peace when the truth is discovered....ever see the movie Ghost ???

ElBorracho 5 years, 7 months ago

Well said, Campo. For those who believe vehemently that this was not a suicide, despite the forensic evidence police say they have collected to determine otherwise, consider the possible unintended consequences of demanding this story be followed. Everyone here is operating with "I just know better" as their proof that this wasn't suicide. The police and coroner, on the other hand, have to deal with physical evidence. So be careful what you demand from the paper and the police. Do you - or more importantly, Chris' family - really want to hear a more gory accounting of why the coroner believes this was suicide instead of homicide? Do you want the (potentially unchanged) story brought up repeatedly in the press while you grieve? Would you, at some point in the grieving process, be ready to accept that his death really could have been suicide? And, most importantly, do you have someone to talk to or somewhere to turn to help you deal with all the difficult emotions that brings? This is one local resource: http://www.justasknow.org/reps.html

wildflower 5 years, 7 months ago

When ever I think of Chris...I just dont ever see him without a smile..contagious and beautiful. My biggest relief, if there is such a thing is knowing that he is in good company right now..the kayaker and the diver are playing together. Smiling.

alohamomma 5 years, 7 months ago

I think we should wait to see what Chris's family wants to do. They ultimately knew him more than any of us and if they want to continue investigating than we should support them. If they want everyone to "let it go", we should respect their wishes. His family would be the ones to fight for justice, if they thought it was foul play, more than any of us, so lets let them decide.

rckymtngrl 5 years, 7 months ago

I have called and left messages with the detective in New York regarding conversations I had with Chris last week as early as Monday. I have yet to speak to anyone, I just keep being forwarded to his voice mail. I don't know how important what I have to tell him is, but I feel it is something I need to talk to them about. Has anyone been able to actually TALK to the detective??? Or have any ideas as to how I can???

Chris - I strive to be as kind as you were, help as many people as you have, love as unconditionally as you did, and touch as many lives as you will continue to even though you are no longer on this earth. I will miss you forever.

rckymtngrl 5 years, 7 months ago

They keep putting me through to his voicemail but I will continue to try. Thank you tiBella

cliffwood 5 years, 7 months ago

to rckymtngrl: i called 914 939 1000 yesterday and i believe it was lt. james ladaireous option #7, i got thru to him twice. Good luck, merdy

jimbo 5 years, 7 months ago

this is messed up...I just do not see Chris or any suicidal person stabbing himself in the neck and running his car into a bridge...makes no sense...none. Certain real crazy people maybe but not this person.

You would think the detective can deduce that the facts don't make sense for a suicide in the manner Chris died....

The facts point to foul play and we need to hear something from investigators soon...

I am sorry but talking/ writing about this is the grieving...some people can't just "oh well" it... my nature wants to know all the facts...and we don't have them so all we can do is speculate on what we do have and that's ok...were human.

aintnoway 5 years, 7 months ago

First of all, I can't imagine Chris committing suicide. Simple as that.

Secondly, who stabs themself in the chest and neck twice (I believe) severing an artery and windpipe? There are much easier ways to commit suicide and you'd have to be derranged to do it that way.

Lastly, who commits suicide just 5 days after getting engaged? Especially after nearly 46 years of being single.

Not to mention, what's to commit suicide about? Chris was a very fun loving, well loved, financially stable, extremely attractive guy that had, a mere 5 days prior, become engaged to a stunningly attractive woman.

I obviously don't know what happened, but suicide makes no sense and there just "ain't no way" if you ask me.

I can only hope that the police are still conducting their investigation despite the coroner's ruling.

oldlocal 5 years, 7 months ago

rckymtngrl- keep trying. Anything helps. I called them yesterday as well and on the 4th try was able to speak to the head Lt.? I'm not sure because I was passed through several times. From my conversation with him, i see where they draw their conclusion and at the same time there are too many holes in the story- no to mention, Chris was a GREAT GUY. I agree with Jimbo- the facts point to foul play.

My heart goes out to the Corna family and friends.

oldlocal 5 years, 7 months ago

If he left all these text messages, why didn't he make calls and leave voicemails? Why didn't he call his buddies back in Colorado who are on a 2 hour time difference??

jassyspaz 5 years, 7 months ago

Talking is very important in the grieving process and no one has said to stop communicating - but being angry at others will not solve Chris' death. We need to work together to remember our kind friend, not against one another because we don't know what else to do.

The wildflowers will always bloom for you buddy...

1wzgal 5 years, 7 months ago

Can you forward all these comments to the Westchester County, N.Y., Medical Examiner, Deputy Medical Examiner Alexander Milovanovic, Lt. James Ladeairous, Det. Lt. Royal Monroe. Unbelievable, I hope you at the Pilot keep us informed

chris woodie 5 years, 7 months ago

"untamedShrewd

Sorry for your loss Corna family and loved ones. Unfortunately, those who commit suicide cannot be simply categorized as someone who is simply unhappy. Outgoing people who are well liked with a great future, including upcoming plans commit suicide. Although there are almost always warning signs, some people who die by suicide may not show any suicide warning signs. Or the warning signs go unnoticed. It's a myth to think people who commit suicide are weak or crazy: Anyone could attempt suicide and many people who are very "strong" die by suicide. Also, sometimes suicidal people feel better because they have decided to die by suicide, and then feel a sense of relief that the pain will soon be over. It's sad when someone you love feels helpless and the only way out of a situation is to die. I know many of you are angry, but try to be sympathetic to the Corna family: Share stories about Chris to help them through this emotional time. And maybe try to become an advocate to fight suicide."

With all due respect, untamedshrewd, this was not a suicide. You shouldnt be writing this crap. One only has to look at the way it happened to realize suicide doesnt fit... Let alone the fact that this is Chris Corna, we're talking about. I realize, that the detectives who worked on this, had no choice but to come to that conclusion. They simply cant call it a murder without more evidence, but I'll bet they think the same way we do, but the have to go by the book. I think we need to call unsolved mysteries, cuz this doesnt make sense. The only thing I know, is he would not take his own life, unless it were to save anothers'.

My hearts out to friends, family and fiance's of Chris. I'm by myself dealing with this in Nevada, but everyone I've told the story to, thinks suicide is out of the question, just because of the way it supposedly happened.

untamedShrewd 5 years, 7 months ago

suicide never makes sense. I've known of very happy people who are helpful and outgoing to commit suicide. And the comment from aintnoway about "there are easier ways to commit suicide" shows the ignorance to what suicide is. There are a variety of ways people commit suicide, exsanguination (the cutting of the wrist or carotid artery) is one of the most common because the loss of blood is high making it difficult to save the person. And the other options are not pleasant either. Suicide is a harsh reality in our society: from the young teenage athlete to the outgoing adult who seems to have everything: suicide has no boundaries. Use your anger or disbelief to support or join a local suicide prevention chapter in your area. In Steamboat (and the surrounding area) it is REPS. And above all, support the family.

flower 5 years, 7 months ago

Typical Steamboat to think that we are too special for this to happen and lets blame someone else. Quit playing CSI with evidence you read in the paper and remember the man you love with respect.

Tubes 5 years, 7 months ago

Agreed flower. Although i'd bet 90% of the people on here talking this nonsense, yes nonsense (cover up, sopranos, arbitrarily blaming someone else, corrupt cops, 1st amendment crap, etc.) are not real friends of Mr. Corna. Just because you've seen him at Slopeside over the years and exchanged token "howdys" and the associated small talk doesn't make him your shining star. True friends and family don't use internet chat rooms as a vehicle to "grieve."

Respect the man, respect the legacy, and respect his real friends and family by stopping this noise.

RIP Mr. Corna.

sickofitall 5 years, 7 months ago

Why is the page expired for lisette coen campaign contributions under google? I would like to see campaign contributions? What about cnn.com/cafferty perhaps a real news reporter and investigation should happen asap. How can anyone believe suicide by cutting your own throat while driving, 100 yards from the police station?????? Really?

dragonfly9 5 years, 6 months ago

I attended the memorial on Sunday for Chris and it was very bittersweet. I was not in his close circle of friends but thought he was a very kind, respectful person and full of life. I as many are bewildered by his death. After reading many blogs, I understand the need to voice disbelief, sorrow, anger, memories. All are valid. Finger pointing is not productive.

However, I hope that at some point more facts will emerge so the rumors or incorrect determinations will be laid to rest. Even though it is true that it is the family's choice to be silent at this time of great sorrow (and understandable) and they may never disclose facts to prove it was suicide, it would help many people in Steamboat and throughout the country to know one way or another why the police and coroner made such a definitive statement--"absolutely suicide". I don't believe anyone wants horrendous details. Just resolution.

My heart goes out to Chris's dear friends and family and I thank those that posted information regarding suicide.

ljcolorado 5 years, 6 months ago

A beloved friend and family member is gone forever. This cannot be fixed or changed. And it leaves a wake of heartache that might never completely heal - no matter how much everyone would want healing. His family and loved ones remain in our prayers. It sounds like he and the people around him had faith. And that Chris is absolutely in heaven surrounding everyone. I have no doubt of that. No one promised this world is the easier place. But we have to live the best we can with what we are given, while we are alive and Chris did that. A life cut short is beyond sad no matter how you report it. I pray, somehow, his legacy CAN live on and he will not be forgotten - by anyone. I completely respect his family's silence. we don't need to be the 'inquiring minds that need to know' things that truly are none of our business. A thought that is nagging at some of us ever since this happened: IF it is a tragic suicide, I pray Chris' family and friends will recognize that there is no more perfect way to expose the myths and educate people about this very serious problem. Truth is always a light. I thought the Pilot had either a stated or not-stated policy of no blaring 'Suicide" headlines. Maybe since so many couldn't believe for a minute that it was suicide it was big enough news to 'break the status quo' ...break the rules that someone beloved committed suicide - unexpectedly...and reported how it was done? ... so the headline blared. I don't expect the east coast media to be sensitive to a suicide story - but our community which has been so touched by this issue ...I do expect more. I'm naive - but I hold us to a higher standard because there are experts in this community that understand suicide better than many. and this community has been touched by suicide...statistically - not good. Suicides tend to 'cluster'. Believe it or not - if someone is thinking of suicide and thinks that Chris 'lived life to the fullest' ... a choice of exit is sending the message that it's good to go out in a blaze of glory. I was saddened to hear someone tell me that they admire what Chris 'did'. I make no judgement on him. I have no idea if he even 'did' what has been reported. I remember him as a wonderful man...and I believe what people have said: an angel on this earth. Not perfect - but if you ask anyone that loved him - better than most. I don't know the best way to educate people about suicide - or even IF THIS WAS a suicide - I hope it comes out that it wasn't: But suicide is a very real problem and the more we can educate people about it the more lives that might be saved. silence doesn't seem right. Many could learn from him as they did in life. .... still. God bless you Chris - and God bless your family and friends. There is a lot of silence now that you are gone...and that might not be the answer.

DBT1980 5 years, 6 months ago

Does anyone know the name of the new website for Chris Corna Reef Foundation etc... This site has been setup for people to donate funds for coral reef projects

DBT1980 5 years, 6 months ago

I know you won't be able to email me back, but I just want you to know that I will always think about you and Slope Side Grill. I plan to move out to Steamboat in two years time and was thinking that we could catch you then. But now things have changed. Hope you're in the heavens above as you very well disserve this. Rest in peace and my God be with you. Your old Dublin High School friend DBT1980