Gary L. Wall: Emphasize quality

Regarding the story "Jobless rate building; Construction companies struggle amid severe slowdown" in the Business section of the April 26 Steamboat Pilot & Today:

We can't get through this economical downturn by becoming cutthroat and driving labor prices down across the board. There seems to be a misconception in our economy, that "if you swing a hammer, you work for free or next to nothing." Yet, the sad truth of it is that our overhead still remains.

I get the feeling that everyone wants things done cheaply, but it has been my experience that "cheaper turns out to be twice as much." So much of what is involved in our trade is not seen; it's those small details that we do that are covered up. If you shortcut around those small details, the infrastructure of the project is weakened. In layman's terms, "You can't fix a leaky bucket from the outside."

I learned the trade in Dallas, starting my career working for a mechanical company that did heating, plumbing and electrical work. Our work was primarily in Highland and University Park, a very high-end section that compares with Hollywood. At the time, a $2 million or $3 million mansion was flawless. Being an old-school contractor, I see that our trade has gotten away from that. There have been some great moves in this trade to make our work go faster, but so many have gotten away from the science of what actually gives a home or structure durability, and that takes away quality of workmanship. I don't see any home produced today that will last 100 years and become timeless.

As a contractor, I try to give people the quality they deserve. Unfortunately, most times they just want the job done now, foregoing the fact that it's the quality of the work that will make it last. It's time to let go of the greed and do the job that should be done, not the one that will last only until the check clears.

Gary L. Wall

Associated Building & Remodeling, Steamboat Springs

Comments

Dave Ege 5 years, 7 months ago

Gary, great statement for those of us who believe that there are 2 ways to do things. 1) do it right. 2) don't do it. One very big problem I see is that in the near past, the trades were so swamped with work, poor quailty was the norm and tolerated. Even the Better Business Bureau fosters shoddy contractors. I worked with two companies owned by the same person. By the time it was over, he had to be sued. Both for quality and making a 4 month job take over 1 year. I tried to file a complaint with the BBB to warn others of his tendencies. Since the contract(s) had gone into litigation, I could not file a complaint. His add to this day reads " Better Business Bureau A+ Rated". I know of at least 4 other home owners who had very similar experiences. Unfortunatly they did nothing to warn others. Who then is at fault?

RangerRoutt 5 years, 7 months ago

You can still do it right, you just don't have to rip people off. People overcharge on jobs because they used to be able to get away with it. Now they can't. So you can either A) charge a crap ton and not get any work or B) charge less, do honest work, and get referred for more business and make a few bucks. Jacking up prices or doing sh*ty work is only going to steer consumers away and result in the mentality of "if you want it done right, gotta do it yourself" that only leads to a deeper recession.

JLM 5 years, 7 months ago

Flawed proposition --- it can be done both well and less expensively. Pricing is a matter of supply and demand while quality is a matter of character.

Pricing can be impacted by increased competition, competitive bidding, compressed profit margins, diminished overhead, contracting wages and lower material costs. These savings should be passed along to the consumer.

Just now, prices will trend downward as workers and contractors will attempt to subsist rather than prosper. News flash --- everybody in the US is dealing w/ the same issues of contraction, retrenchment, layoffs, unemployment and pricing pressure. That's simply reality.

Quality is driven by character. Character is what you do when nobody is watching or nobody can see the finished work. You either have it or you don't!

Quality and character are not only in the work they are in the workman.

It feels to me like you are whining. Lots of folks are in the same boat just now but you are in THE Steamboat, so be happy and do some damn good work today!

Suz 5 years, 7 months ago

Thank you JLM. At this time last year we contacted several contractors with what we were told was a small job. No one wanted our job. No one had time for us. After all, we just wanted to add a room for my daycare business. That is it, just a large empty room. A room that fit my needs and the needs of my business. No, that is not what you need...you need this. I had contractors trying to tell me what my needs were just so that they could make the job bigger. Of course we weren't able to have the job done. We couldn't afford to have it done. My small job, my one empty room was quoted for more that it cost to build my entire house and the land it sits on. I grew up in construction. My grandfather and my father were both contractors and never did they ever tell someone that they didn't want their job because it was too small. Thank you again JLM those were my thoughts exactly.

Suz 5 years, 7 months ago

Thank you JLM. Those were my thoughts exactly. Last year at this time we contacted several contractors for a bid. No one wanted our job. Our job was to small we were told. All we wanted was an addition to our house for my daycare business. Just a large empty room to fit my needs and the needs of my business. This is not what you need...you need this. I had contractors try to tell me what my needs were just so they could make the job bigger. Of course we were unable to have the job done. The bids for my small job that no one wanted were for more than it cost me to build my house and the land that it sits on. I grew up in construction. My grandfather and my father were contractors. Never, in their whole lives did they tell someone that they didn't want their job because it was to small. They were men of quality and had they been alive they would have been happy to apply their trade to a small job such as mine.

TEEJAY1309 5 years, 7 months ago

Suz,
Obviously you didn't call us. If you had, the job you wanted done, would have been done and it would have been done correctly.
We ask all our customers "What do you want it to do, how do you want it to look and what do you want to spend?" We do quality work. We don't guarantee to save you money, but the work we do will save you money in the long run.
We guarantee to do a good job for all of our customers that's why "OUR DETAIL IS THE DIFFERENCE!" Check out our work at the following: "www.merchantcircle.com/business/ABR.Associated.Building.And.Remodeling.970-640-0100" That link will take you right to our page and thank you for your comments!

Suz 5 years, 7 months ago

Thank you, I will have a look. Am sorry that my comments posted twice...the site dumped me and I started over. Again thank you.

TEEJAY1309 5 years, 7 months ago

JLM, No, I'm not whining! I have both quality and character. There are a lot of good contractors in this town and I am one of them. I was referring to the contractors who do not have either. They do shoddy work that will last only until the check clears and then it's folks like me who have to go in and clean up their mess, thus the customer has spent double the money and has had, at that point, too many problems to deal with. As for living here, I live in the best place that God had the sense to make and JLM, I always do DAMM GOOD WORK! Gary L. Wall

Terry Noble 5 years, 7 months ago

It is the responsibility of the Building Dept and it's inspectors to assure construction is up to "code" and properly done. If that isn't done then your problem lies with them. As far as the bidding process it requires proper research to assure you can get a fair price. The statement that " it cost more to get the addition done than the house and land cost" depends on how long ago the land and house were acquired. What's relevant is not what it cost but what it's worth on the current market. Good luck with your addition and as always "buyer beware" is the rule.

TEEJAY1309 5 years, 7 months ago

RangerRoutt, Hi and thank you for the comment you posted. I have always charged a fair price so yes, I am one of the few who charges less and does honest work, but that doesn't always send the business my way. This is just my opinion, but I think this town could use a little more loyalty. Meaning that if you do a good job for someone, shouldn't they always use you and not just someone they pick off of the street or out of the phone book. If you are in this business, you might understand the frustration, but on the other hand, I suppose that any business can have this frustration and problem.

JLM 5 years, 7 months ago

How about a nice gouda or maybe a gorgonzola with that whine, pal? LOL

Sure you're not whining just a teeny little bit? Hmmmm!

The challenge for a good contractor is whether they are just doing a "job" or creating a "relationship"? These are very, very different outcomes of the same project.

Today it takes marketing savvy, energy, enthusiasm and effort to create a relationship --- a loyal customer relationship with a repeat customer.

To create a relationship, you must invest in that relationship. Drop them a note, call them, stay in touch w/ a bottle of wine at Christmas time, ask for their business, ensure their satisfaction (make them tell you they are happy and make them happy), use them as a reference, get the punchlist done in record time, do the warranty work promptly, file all equipment warranties, keep cutsheets of every product used in the project and build them a complete file of all of the paper work (keep a copy yourself).

Why do all these things?

Cause when times get tough, they will remember it.

America does business with its friends. The first challenge? Make friends!

The real challenge? Be a pro!

TWill 5 years, 7 months ago

TeeJay- this town doesn't need any more loyalty at all. What it needs is a lot less entitlement. The construction tradesmen have had it too good for too long around here. This is quite a rude reality check they are going through now. But guess what- everyone else is trying to get by in the same economic climate. Look at what's been going on here for the past ten years. There are way too many nice trucks, toys and over the top spending from unproven contractors that only prove that overcharging and gluttonous profit levels got to be the standard around here. In most places, a decent plumber, electrician or carpenter is a hardworking, blue collar, hourly wage driven worker. Here, they're a bunch of untested prima donnas that got used to calling their own shots and blatantly expect to live the same lifestyles as their wealthy, vacation home building or developer clients. This is not to say that everyone doesn't have a right to earn a living, but a lot of these guys have been overcharging and driving up local costs and wages for years. Although painful now, this attrition period we're going through will separate "the men from the boys" and be a benefit to the overall community in the long term. The quality character guys will be the only ones left standing in the end. They just might have to take a few lumps along the way.

TEEJAY1309 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey JLM, Aren't we a little arrogant??? I am so glad that you know everything that I have known for years! LOL. It's nice to hear from someone who realizes that's what it takes to make a business. I constantly keep in touch with all of my customers and they have become my friends. As I always tell my customers "If you like our work, tell your friends, if you don't, tell me!" That has always been my adage and it has always worked for me. FYI Good Contractors don't have a punch list and I've never had to have one!!! I keep a file for all of my customers; they get copies of everything, including daily time sheets if they want them. I also make them a CD of photos of the jobs progress and finish. I am a professional and I am professional in everything I do! By the way, what kind of business are you in?

TEEJAY1309 5 years, 7 months ago

TWill, I totally agree with you and I know that I will be one of the ones left standing. If you do somebody a good job at a fair price, that's the loyalty I'm talking about. It's not so much the customers in town, I was referring to a few of the builders around that I have done sub-contract work for. I am not one of those prima donnas, I don't want to live like my customers, I just want to be comfortable in life and be able to pay the bills and the rent on time just like everyone else. Thank you for your comment. Gary L. Wall

housepoor 5 years, 7 months ago

Painterstile setters making $35+ an hour is a little hard to swallow!!!!!!

JLM 5 years, 7 months ago

SBS is still overheated and it will take some time for it to come down to reality. That reality is likely to be about a 50% reduction in wages for building trades. Not fair. Not pretty. But is gonna happen!

The pace of the correction will increase just a tad when President Obama finishes his immigration legislation. If you voted for him, then STFU and deal with it cause he's your problem, mate.

Those hard working Mexicans will likely drive out all the local trades and some of them will be pretty good -- nobody can do concrete, tile, stone or rock work like a guy with a vowel at the end of his name! Low overhead to boot! Great painters and rough wood butchers but be careful on the finish work.

Plus who doesn't like some damn good Tex Mex? LOL

Yes, I am a bit arrogant, TJ. Sorry for that but I've been hiring contractors for decades as a developer --- high rise CBD office buildings, mid rise suburban office parks, thousands of apartments, lots of office-showrooom and warehouses and big rehabs, some historic ---- and I know every trick in the freakin' book. I've heard every lame excuse why a job doesn't move along and every reason why a contractor can't get to it or is late with it. Can't decide whether contractors are natural liars or require training?

I can smell a bad contractor from 50 yards in the rain, pal. Of course, that's about 50% of all of them anyway, isn't it? LOL

Folks don't take their time and do it right. You would think that it was revealed truth to measure twice and cut once. You would think it requires a PhD to run a damn level or to set something square or plumb.

I got no ax to grind w/ you personally and wish you good luck and Godspeed. Things are going to get pretty bloody in SBS before this is all done.

BTW, you should have gone w/ the gouda, buddy! Nothing complements a goooooooood whine like a piquant gooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuudaaaaa! LOL

TEEJAY1309 5 years, 7 months ago

You are so right JLM. By the way, don't care for gouda at all, LOL You are too funny pal! Gary L. Wall P.S. Thought we were having a pissing contest for awhile there, LOL

TEEJAY1309 5 years, 7 months ago

Many may wonder why I wrote what I did in my letter to the editor. JLM, I if I may quote your words" In construction you don't get what you "expect", you only get what you "inspect"! Thumbs up to you! My curiosity was peaked and I believed that I was not isolated in feeling that many in the "Boat" have the same frustrations as I. It's reassuring from all these great responses that others are fed up with the high wages and low quality. So many demand TOP DOLLAR, but those are the ones who need their every move micromanaged. They are the ones you do tell "Go home, sit on your butt and I'll do it myself." And they still think that they'll get a check! Isn't it sad that so many workers in today's society have that attitude? I believe that you should be paid a good wage for a good product. To all of our dismay, so many in this business, in all actuality make us look bad and that was my reference to driving prices across the board. There are many great contractors in Steamboat and to those, I tip my hat to you, you deserve it! Gary L. Wall (Not The Sheriff) ABR/Associated Building & Remodeling

jk 5 years, 7 months ago

jlm, I think the only thing worse than Gary kissing your hiney in this thread, is you rubbing his nose in it. Just like an arrogant know it all snake in the grass developer to flex his muscles when he thinks he has the upper hand. The only thing worse than a shady contractor is an arrogant self serving developer, who has probably never done an honest days work in his life.

TEEJAY1309 5 years, 7 months ago

First of all jk, I don't kiss anyone's butt. I guess you think that by me thanking everyone for their opinion, I was kissing theirs too! Such mentality. But JLM was correct in saying that "In construction you don't get what you "expect", you only get what you "inspect"! It's true in a lot of cases, but by no means do I imply that all contractors all are shady or bad and I don't believe that he meant all of them either. If he did, that is his opinion and one that he is entitled to, just as you are to yours. What is it you do for a living that you think that all developers are arrogant & self serving and all contractors are shady? I'm sorry you think that of all of us, because trust me, there are some really great ones in this town.
Thank you for your comment.

JLM 5 years, 7 months ago

jk, you are absolutely right, all developers are snakes in the grass and not a one of those arrogant sobs ever did an honest day's work in their miserable lives --- and, hell, I'm just about the worst --- worse than politicians the whole lot of them

but damn they sure do manage to live well --- how do those lazy arrogant sobs manage to do that? not working and all?

big houses, nice cars, a lotta vacations, well read and smart sobs too --- and not doing an honest days work to boot, hmmmmm?

pretty wives and children --- lucky damn bunch of sobs

cause they are the kind of folks who have the cojones to take a risk when everybody else is on the sidelines badmouthing their lot in life with their hands shaking afraid to take a freakin' chance

they're the kind of guys you might be if you had the raw courage and creativity to make something from nothing

but damn that would take some moxie and a bit of daring, eh? hell of a lot easier to whine

of course, maybe that whine and cheese crowd makes the opportunity for those damn developers cause they're afraid to compete

nahhh, bad old guys those developers

now you straighten your skirt and run along home to your darlings, cher

and, hey, sweetie, you have a nice damn day now, ya hear?

and watch out for those big bad arrogant developers cause they gonna be eating out of your chili bowl soon enough LOL

KMA, jk-off

TWill 5 years, 7 months ago

You really are an arrogant sob, aren't you JLM? I know that was tongue in cheek above, but that just seemed to roll of the tongue too easy for you.

Cojones=Luck. Get over yourself, you made your money at the expense of others too and you know it.

Scott Glynn 5 years, 7 months ago

Twill, you had previously mentioned the word entitlement. While much of the workforce coming out today is certainly cocconed to believe they don't have to work to get paid, how do you respond to the overidding sense of hipocracy I get whith the local municipalities? When the city, county, and ski area (not a muni but controls a lot of what happens here) contract work with outside construction companies who are using their own sub contract suppliers and laborers, it takes a lot out of the "buy local" campaign they put forth. How does that take care of their constituents? I find it hard to believe that a local contractor is charging enough more to justify the loss of income and wages to the local work force/supplier living in and purchasing products here. As a 1st Tier supplier to the construction industry we don't neccessarily expect the business to come to us, but we are at least looking for a level playing field.

Scott Glynn Mountain Millworks

TWill 5 years, 7 months ago

The municipalities, ski area and other significant players have the resources, capabilities and patience to calculate the cost/ benefit ratio of hiring outside labor. Then make their decisions as such. You're right, it is a little hypocritical from the "buy local" and other feel-good campaigns, but eventually it comes down to hard numbers.

I am suprised that local suppliers/ contractors are not able to compete with their out of town rivals considering the additional costs the out of town guy must incur with logistics (shipping, travel, etc.). What does that say about the local guys' prices?

Thankfully, there have been many trophy homes and arrogant developers like JLM for everyone to feed on around here for the last many years. Now its time for everyone to re-assess what's happening and adjust accordingly.

jk 5 years, 7 months ago

TJ, Sorry about the hiney thing that was just the way the thread sounded as I read it. You are correct there are many reputable contractors in this town, and if I ever need any work done I will involve you in the bidding process. jlm, Wow thanks for the comments, it only took 2 sentences to expose the type of person you are! lol Hopefully your life works out well with your trophy home, cars, wife, and kids. Happy Mothers Day weekend to all.

TEEJAY1309 5 years, 7 months ago

Actually it's Gary. The log in on the Pilot & Today is my wifes. You can reach me at garywallabr@aol.com

TEEJAY1309 5 years, 7 months ago

Thank you jk, this is Gary's wife Teri. If you are a Mom, Happy Mother's Day to you or to you wife also:)

TEEJAY1309 5 years, 7 months ago

In response to Scott & Twill: I have recently inquired into forming local chapters of the NARI (National Association of Remodeling Industry) & the HBA (Housing & Building Association of Northwestern, CO). I was a member of the HBA when I was the President of Triple W Manufacturing, Inc in Grand Junction. The HBA bought unity of the local trades and introduced us all to one another, instead of meeting in the local lumber store and saying "Hi" and never remembering who it was you met and how you got their card in your wallet. As members of these chapters, we can then put before congress, bills to promote large enough tax incentives (not that small amount of $1,500.00 per year), to make it viable for people with existing run down homes to do serious upgrades, remodels & additions, thus creating even more jobs all around.

I feel that our area, all of the contractors are running in different directions and there is no camaraderie or unity. In unity there is strength in numbers, in our numbers we could force change of the "Big Companies" coming into Steamboat and hiring outside contractors and taking the food from our tables. We understand why large companies want to bring in the people they are familiar with, but hey "Give Us Locals A Chance". The thing of it is, is that they don't want to give local contractors a chance because they don't know us. In their budget they probably don't have the time to pick and choose from us local guys, but by having our names in a local chapter of NARI & HBA, that would show them that they can choose us and we are just as good or better than the subs they are familiar with.

We have a good work force here in Steamboat and I think that all of us have learned quite a few lessons from the downturn that the economy has taken and now is the time to change!

Gary L. Wall ABR/Associated Building & Remodeling

Dave Ege 5 years, 7 months ago

Gary, This all sounds great, but how about a local reference system? As to me earlier post, how do we separate the good from the bad if even the BBB won't do it? Obviously, the contractor should be given a "response" option, but I have many contractors I would recommend, and only a very few I would not. Unfortunatly, the ones I would not got THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars for my project, and I got, well ulcers!

garywallabr 5 years, 7 months ago

Hi Dave,

I think that these two groups (NARI & HBA) would be a good reference system. By being an organized group of local contractors, there would be monthly meetings, newsletters, viewpoints, airing differences, etc. We don't want to run the risk of blackballing anyone for unjust reasons. I think that we need all of our opinions put together. The unity thing.

We post in all our advertisements and on our trucks that we belong to these groups.
This giving the customer the ability to air their differences to our organizations. Whether it be being invited to a bi-monthly meeting or through letters or reviews, they can let us know how they were treated by member contractors. In our meetings, we would have the opportunity to share with other each other photo galleries of our projects, and as a member you would be able to go to each other's work sites to see their work. For instance, if you need to hire Joe for Trimwork, you need to be able to see his work. There are so many talented and artistic people out there who have not being given the chance to showcase their talent and therein is talent wasted.

Also, each member would be required to have a web page on MerchantCircle.com. This is a free website and the customer can go to that page and write a review of the contractor and or the work that was done. There is also a rating system of 1 to 5 stars in which you can rate the contractor and we would require that anyone who puts in a review must leave their name and contact number. We could also create our own website for Steamboat Contractors and construction related Merchants. These are just two of the several ways to go about it and why I say we need all of our opinions.

I really feel that this town needs both NARI & HBA to bring a unity to Steamboat Contractors and construction related merchants.

Just a little example Dave, if you put the following your browser, it will take you right to my page on MerchantCircle and you can see the reviews and ratings that I have received. What is also good about it is you can see how many people viewed your page and connect with other local businesses. Anyone can join now.

www.merchantcircle.com/business/ABR.Associated.Building.And.Remdoeling.970-640-0100

Gary

TWill 5 years, 7 months ago

So, Gary wants to unionize and Scott wants government intervention to make everything right again?

Obama's plan is coming together faster than we ever imagined.

Scott Glynn 5 years, 7 months ago

Twill, the pricing formula is not as skewd as you think. It costs many of us extra to get raw materials shipped up here to our little burg in the mountains. Couple that extra expense with the higher cost of living that is reflected in wages as well as the higher per ft rent costs that we incur here, you'll find that fixed costs are very similar. We also have logistical issues that make it more difficult. A particular vendor will only come through their Mtn route at most once a week. Makes it difficult to be able to respond to quick turn around. In an effort to be as lean as possible few of us are able to stock sufficient inventory to bang out a small to medium sized job without waiting 3 -7 days for materials. You'll find that most of us are very competitive in our pricing to the Larger Front Range wholesalers, but we are unable to make a significant enough price reduction to be attractive to a company that has been using a supplier for a period of time. My ultimate point is that our local contractors have as much, if not more, expertise regarding local bulding issues, and are many times more likely to use local subcontractors to procure materials and labor. This, in the end, helps create and maintain the local business community which in turn helps the local governments. I can't remember a time that council or commisioners have ever weighed this issue when they are awarding contracts for projects under their charge. Many larger cities actually have rules regarding a set percentage of materials, labor, etc. must come from local producers. While I am not a fan of big government, it would seem that our local government would/should be concerned with its citezenry enough to consider the impact of their decisions.

garywallabr 5 years, 7 months ago

TWill, I'm not trying to unionize. But by getting local contractors together as a group, we are not price fixing. As a group we should try to promote quality and dependability. And as a group, we have the power to go to the local government and force change like Scott said. Have them make it a priority that local contractors are awarded the jobs for these big companies that come in to Steamboat. As it is now, we don't have a voice and that is what I am trying to do. Give the local contractors & construction suppliers a voice. How does that sound everyone? Gary L. Wall

Scott Glynn 5 years, 7 months ago

Believe me when I say I think unionization is the downfall of the free market economy. It had its place in the 30's and 40's. But while the business model has changed dramatically since then, this archaic protection still exists. I also am one of the staunchest supporters of smaller government. My simple but perhaps not eloquent question was, why doesn't the powers that be, take a broader view of their decisions, and think of the impact they have on the constituents that voted for them?

garywallabr 5 years, 7 months ago

Scott: Did you not read what I wrote or did you just skim it and get out of it what you wanted? These two trade associations are not unions in way, shape, form or fashion. They are groups. Take five minutes and look at their website, they are easy to find. Also, if you did read what I wrote, you would have seen that I said construction suppliers and not just contractors would be invited to join the groups. We could all meet each other, give our feedback to one another, etc. Oh Hell, just read what I wrote for goodness sake! On the other hand Scott, do you want to do something to make things better or just sit in your shop and complain???

Gary

Scott Glynn 5 years, 7 months ago

Gary, my comment was a response to twill, not to any of your suggestions. We have tried in the past with the YVCA but it seems like this has turned into a "green" building consortium. I believe the networking aspect of your ideas are solid by being able to bounce things off of one another. What I see as a hurdle is the willingness to be forthright in this economy when so many people are trying to land the same jobs due to the decrease in available projects. I say this respectfully knowing your work and reputation. My whole point going back to my initial comments is that while many of us try and do the right thing by our neighbors, our civic leaders are not.

garywallabr 5 years, 7 months ago

THIS IS AN E-MAIL I RECEIVED FROM THE HBA (HOME BUILDERS ASSOCIATION) THIS EVENING. PLEASE KEEP THE NUMBER AND CODE IN MIND IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO JOIN. THIS WOULD BE GOOD FOR BUSINESS FOR EVERY CONTRACTOR AND CONSTRUCTION SUPPLIER IN TOWN.

GARY L. WALL ABR/ASSOCIATED BUILDING & REMODELING

Hello all,

I would like to set up a conference call for Monday May 18th at 10:00 a.m. to discuss the possibility of forming an HBA Chapter in Steamboat.

If you would like to join us and invite anyone else that you think might be interested in participating in on our conversation that would be great.

The conference call number is 1-877-643-6951 and the code to join is 54896519

Please call me if you have any questions before hand or things you would like to cover.

Thanks again for your interest in the Home Builders Association of Northwestern Colorado.

Debbie Rich

Executive Officer

HBA of Northwestern Colorado

569 S. Westgate Drive , Unit 3

Grand Junction, Co. 81505

970-245-0253

<p>info@gjhba.org>

www.gjhba.org

JLM 5 years, 7 months ago

Whine - gouda, whine - gorgonzola, whine - appenzeller!

The SBS construction market is contracting and it is contracting at the speed of light.

As supply overwhelms demand, prices have to drop and margins have to be compressed razor thin. Already there is a huge excess of capacity and it will only get worse. Only the strong will survive. Everybody cannot possibly survive. Welcome to Darwinian capitalism.

To join or create a herd is to simply ensure that the entire herd is put at risk. The only chance is to get outside the herd and compete like a tiger.

Of course that will take a bit of hubris, arrogance and cojones --- and more than a bit of luck. In your heart, you already know whether you have it or not. Most don't.

Seek advice from losers and you will learn to lose. Only quicker. Darwin was right. Insensitive, brash but right. Adapt or die. Stop living in a dream world.

The earlier I get to work, the luckier I get. But, hey, that could just be me. And, hey, have a nice damn day.

garywallabr 5 years, 7 months ago

JLM (Just Listen Moron)

Sounds like you're the one whining.

FYI THE HBA OF NW CO IS BACKED BY THE CO ASSOC. OF HOME BUILDERS AND THE NATIONAL ASSOC. OF HOME BUILDERS REPRESENTS A COMBINED STRENGTH OF OVER 257,000 MEMBERS PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE VOICE AT THE LOCAL, STATE AND NATIONAL LEVELS.
SO IN YOUR OPINION THERE IS OVER 257,000 LOSERS IN THIS ORGANIZATION?

I AT LEAST HAVE THE MORAL FIBER TO TRY TO DO SOMETHING THAT WILL HELP OUR COMMUNITY. DO YOU??

YOU ARE SO SELF IMPORTANT AND ARRAGONT AND I FEEL SO SORRY FOR YOU. UNFORTUNATLY YOU HAVE NO LIFE EXCEPT TO GET ONTO THE SP&T TO PUT IN YOUR COMMENTS (551 AND TODAY ISN'T OVER) WHERE YOU SEEM TO THINK THEY BELONG AND MOST TIMES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT WAS SAID. FOR SOMEONE TO HAVE WRITTEN IN AS MANY COMMENTS AS YOU, WE ALL KNOW THAT YOU HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH YOUR TIME!

HOW ABOUT TURNING YOUR TALENT WITH WORDS, YOU OBVISOUSLY HAVE ONE, AND PUT IT TO TO WORK FOR THE COMMUNITY INSTEAD OF FOR YOURSELF!

Mogen David, Boones Farm, Vino Grande (in a box of course), Kraft sharp cheddar and so good ol' Nabisco Saltines and don't forget to slice up some generic Pepperoni to go with it!
AND YOU HAVE A NICE DAMM DAY TOOï

GLW ABR

JLM 5 years, 7 months ago

I've got nothing to whine about --- challenging times bring opportunity. I like opportunity. I thrive on opportunity. Opportunity is what built this country. Right now the real opportunity may be to survive until the recovery and not a whole lot more. We'll see.

Forming yet another trade organization among competitors will not solve any problems. It is the business equivalent of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

What legislative initiative sponsored by the HBA of Colo is going to improve your business? The politicians in great measure have created this recession by their imprudent acitons --- think this crowd is going to assist you in solving the problems they created? Not bloody likely, chum!

This administration is an enemy of small business and intendds to redistribute any profits (fat joke there, eh?) to their selected hand maidens --- like the UAW and that slice of Americans who actually do not pay taxes.

The only real opportunity is to sharpen your marketing pencil, tighten your belt and compete. Sometimes it takes a bit of a surprise to sound the clarion call to action.

Sometimes reality sucks but hey, have a nice damn day anyway!

TWill 5 years, 7 months ago

JLM- your message is right on the money.

But you really are arrogant- which doesn't have to be synonymous with being confident or successful.

cawa 5 years, 7 months ago

Wow! There are some nasty comments on here. All because someone has an opinion on how to help fix an obvious issue many people are having right now in the construction trade. I see many of you do not understand the cost of living when you complain of the cost of building. These people have to pay out ALOT of money in taxes, materials, licences, insurance, etc. People in the construction trade deserve to be able to afford a place to live while they are providing others with the same.

Seriously....some of you need to grow up! There are WAY more important things in life than badmouthing and demeaning others. Everyone has a right to their own opinion without dealing with a personal attack.

JLM 5 years, 7 months ago

Twill, you need to go play with the other girls and STFU already. Would love to visit further but I gotta go and kill some more kittens and take advantage of some widows and orphans. Sheesh! You're such a dainty lovely little thang.

TWill 5 years, 7 months ago

The ironic thing is that you and I are in basic agreement on this and other topics we have commented on.

But, something tells me that you would come across much differently speaking to any of us in person. And your message throughout this entire thread would take on a different tone if you weren't anonymous.

Before you even start... don't give my anything about not using my own name. I have not been antagonizing anyone (except for you now) with direct personal attacks. The anonymous usernames allow people to express their honest opinions without local repercussion- not a chance to throw cheap shots without chance of retaliation. But you come across as the sad, little man that hides behind the curtain from the Wizard of Oz, you lovely little thang.

garywallabr 5 years, 7 months ago

Obviously cawa has their head screwed on straight, Thank God! At least there is a few of you out there who understand the problems we contractors (and other businesses) face every day and whether you like it or not, cawa is right! Talk about overhead! We are empathetic to all businesses and also the personal struggle that folks are going through in these rough times. We realize that we are not alone in the hand that the economy has dealt and that many others are suffering also. Oh! and cawa, yes we all have a right to an opinion, and you are correct that this should not have turned into a personal attack!
Thank you for your comment, it was appreciated:) Gary

garywallabr 5 years, 7 months ago

JLM I'm sure your report card always read, "DOES NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS!" Stop with the cussing! We all know what it meant. Rather than being boastful, how about some positive feedback. Forego the culture that you are trying to portray; real culture grows in a Petri dish.

garywallabr 5 years, 7 months ago

TWill you deserve a round of applause.
I never intended to start a fight or cause ill will with anyone or even start another feud between the Hatfield's and McCoy's. My intention all along was to write a letter to the editor concerning the cutthroat ways in these economical times. Sad to say this has turned into a written war, so to speak. There are projects in Steamboat that are taking as many as 40 bids and unfortunately it turns out to be a waste of time for 39 and it's just greed taking advantage of the economy. I guarantee the sale price of the project will not reflect the lowest bid. But not getting on another rant, I wanted to say Thank you for your comment. Can't we all just get along? Gary