Cyclist John Ward rides his bike in one of the recently created bike lanes on Oak Street in downtown Steamboat. The city is undertaking a number of initiatives to make Steamboat Springs more bike- and pedestrian-friendly.

Photo by John F. Russell

Bike improvements emphasized

City plans upgrades for riders, pedestrians

— The city of Steamboat Springs is making the most of a strapped budget in an effort to maintain the "Bicycle Friendly Community" designation it received two years ago from the League of American Bicyclists.

A new bike lane has been painted on Oak Street in Old Town Steamboat, and it has been very well received by local cyclists.

"It was just a step we could do at very minimal cost," said Public Works Director Philo Shelton, who noted the bike lane matches a downtown streetscape plan approved by the city last year. "It kind of tells people where they need to be and helps them share the road better."

Deputy City Manager Wendy DuBord said the Steamboat Springs City Council has set a goal of making downtown Steamboat more pedestrian friendly. A news release from Routt County Riders bicycle club notes that the group recommended the bike lane and said it soon will be followed by a similar lane on Yampa Street. The group also is working to build new trails on Emerald Mountain.

There are a number of other pedestrian and bicycle improvements planned or under way in the city, and the Routt County Board of Commissioners is scheduled to begin discussions later this month about multiple uses of county roads.

"I think everything has been well received," said Robin Craigen, of Routt County Riders. "We all know that it's long overdue."

June is Colorado Bike Month. Locally, June also is Routt County Riders' Bike to Work Month. Bike to Work Week is June 21 to 28, and Bike to Work Day is June 24.

The city's construction of a new sidewalk on 13th Street is under way. When completed, it will connect U.S. Highway 40 to the parking lot for West Lincoln Park. A paving project on Whistler Road also is under way, and Shelton said the city may stripe a bike lane there, too, if there's any money remaining from the project. The city plans to create a crosswalk with a flashing sign at Maple Street and Amethyst Drive this year.

Last month, Open Space and Trails Supervisor Craig Robinson said a 3,054-foot extension of the Yampa River Core Trail in southern Steamboat could begin by July.

City engineer Janet Hruby said the city also has received grants from Great Outdoors Colorado and the Colorado Department of Transportation for a new pedestrian bridge across the Yampa River that would connect West Lincoln Park to the Core Trail. Cars, bikes and pedestrians now must share the 13th Street Bridge to cross the river in that area. Shelton said the bridge will be designed this year but won't be built until next year at the earliest.

Shelton said the city also has received a CDOT grant to conduct a "Share the Road" marketing campaign that has paid for a banner over Lincoln Avenue, as well as media advertisements.

Hruby said she would like to say the city is doing more in the way of pedestrian and bicycle improvements but that city budget cuts have erased funds available in the city's capital improvements plan for such projects.

"We have no money in our CIP, so we're scrapping together what we can," she said.

Hruby said continued improvements are needed for the city to maintain its silver designation from the League of American Bicyclists, which recognized the city in 2007 and noted that Steamboat "has a strongly integrated off- and on-road bicycle system, featuring some of the best single-track in the country."

After a controversial decision last year to widen traffic lanes and thus shrink the broad shoulders enjoyed by cyclists on Routt County Road 36, the Routt County Board of Commissioners pledged to hold more extensive discussions with Routt County Riders and others about multiple uses of county roads. The first two discussions have been scheduled for 6 p.m. June 29 and 6 p.m. July 6.

Commissioner Diane Mitsch Bush said the commissioners will receive information from county staff and take public comment about particular roads and concerns. At the second meeting, Mitsch Bush said the commissioners will have had time to evaluate information and will talk more specifically about what policies they could adopt.

Craigen said he is working with Routt County Riders members to identify specific issues and hopes the county will adopt policies that allow for "mutually respectful use of our county roads."

"I think a lot of people are interested in this and want to ride bikes more," Craigen said. "But, quite frankly, people are afraid of county roads."

Comments

jk 5 years, 3 months ago

"A paving project on Whistler Road also is under way, and Shelton said the city may stripe a bike lane there, too, if there's any money remaining from the project." Maybe if our fine planning staff had refrained from painting stripes on this road 2 weeks prior to it being ripped up then there would be paint, and money left in the budget! Way to go you idiots!! Sorry to sound like an old crab, but what good does it do our town to have our little Silver designation anyway?Is our biker friendly attitude going to draw a large enough crowd of cyclists to pay for all of this BS??

mtroach 5 years, 3 months ago

another great comment showing that while the community is bike friendly, this forum is not.

Matt Heydon 5 years, 3 months ago

It's my own pessimism that I feel the City is doing this for recognition, like earning a trophy, a badge, or something to add to their resume. This "Bicycle Friendly Community" designation may be the only thing that motivates the City. Personally I don't feel that this designation alone is necessary or even means much, but I do feel that a community that recognizes cycling as a healthy lifestyle, a sport, and alternative transportation means everything. Regardless of the motivations the City has the byproduct will create a safer environment for all road users and that's a win/win situation and what is most important. While it's feasible that this will increase tourism or cycling tourism to some extent it's only one factor. Something JK doesn't seem to understand is that it's not the only purpose and shouldn't be considered the driving force. Among many benefits, a big component of this "Bicycle Friendly Community" is creating safe routes to schools for our kids. To me if it did nothing else it would be justified. Try not to fall into the trap of JK's small world and take a moment to look at the bigger picture.

TWill 5 years, 3 months ago

jk brings up very legitimate questions and also is accurate in pointing out the waste of municipal resources that occurred on Whistler Road over the past few weeks. That's not "small world", that's reality.

It's the bicyclists that live in a utopian bubble. We bend over backwards to appease the cycling community. The roads are paved and cars use the roads. If people feel so strongly about pedaling their bicycles on the road with the cars, then they must realize that there is an inherent risk of sharing the same surface with fast moving, heavy machinery. If that's not an acceptable option to the high maintenance cyclists - then we have a pleasant (and also paved) core trail that scenically meanders along the river for them to pedal away on. We won't even mention the hundreds of miles of mountain bike trails we have built over the years.

Enough with the whining already! If you want to ride your bicycle- then ride it. You sound like a bunch of spoiled children.

Tubes 5 years, 3 months ago

We're sure quick to slam the planning department these days. The article clearly identifies Philo Shelton as the Director of Public Works--road striping has nothing to do with the planning dept. But agreed, seems wasteful to stripe one day...only to grind off a couple weeks later.

jk 5 years, 3 months ago

Tubes, thanks for the clarification, I guess in my small little world I would have the Planning Dept. and the Public works Dept. on the same page. Speaking of small worlds I want to live in Matts where,"Among many benefits, a big component of this "Bicycle Friendly Community" is creating safe routes to schools for our kids.", this could actually be a valuable reason. Not the one where the rest of the community has to bow down to the cyclists who very rarely obey the law as it is.

greenwash 5 years, 3 months ago

I agree with JK

Way overkill on municiple workforce ask most and they will tell you Philo is out of touch and not a good leader.

And with the city..... Come on who is this Hoots guy and how come he draws a salary?

I know its off the subject but Im venting at all this waste.

mtroach 5 years, 3 months ago

jk, The bike community is working hard to generate events that will draw summer tourists to steamboat. I don't know your attitude toward Triple Crown, but our town runs on tourist dollars, the more tourists we attract, the better our tax revenues. This summer we have two growing road cycling events planned for Steamboat, and as these grow it'll give the town another source for summer tourist dollars, and that could eventully pay off by filling the tax gap if Triple Crown takes their cash cows to another town.

As for cyclists breaking the laws, watch any corner on US40, count the number of "lucky dogs" that blast thru yellow/red lights and bring those numbers to the forum, i would bet that more cars are out speeding, and running red lights than there are cyclists on the road.

windle I'm driving the same roads as you and just don't see ALL these cyclists weaving in and out of traffic? Where is this happening? Downtown?US40? And the law is pretty clear that cyclists can ride two abreast if traffic is not being held up. Your truck on a county road is not traffic. Pass with care, and get over it, you don't own the road, and you are required by law to share public roads with all other users including slow moving truck, plows, hay wagons, runners, and yes cyclists.

JusWondering 5 years, 3 months ago

I like the idea of lanes... it will provide greater safety for all vehicles. Motorists have to legally share the roads; why not make it more convenient to do so.

I don't like the pic though... a responsible cyclist would have a helment on. I also HATE fellow cyclists disobeying traffic rules (stop signs, stop lights, etc). It sets a bad example. Come on guys, will your heart rate really slow that much if you obey the signal? If so perhaps you should consider a better route to get your aerobic exercise. Sorry, I digress on a pet peeve.

But as far as safety for pedestrians... I don't think so. Pedestrians using the bike lanes will find themselves in the same position as cyclists find themselves today on roads like 131 through OC canyon... scared that they could get run over; but by an irresponsible and arrogant cyclist instead of an irresponsible and arrogant motorist.

aichempty 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't know what all of this about because I didn't take time to read it, but in my humble opinion, those new turn lanes on Oak Street are way too narrow.

jk 5 years, 3 months ago

roach I wanted to argue several points of your post and then I realized what's the use? If you don't consider windles truck traffic as you and your cyclist buddies are riding 3 wide on a county road then there is no reaching you. The utopian bubble that T commented you guys live in truly exists. Especially if you have never witnessed any traffic laws being broken by your crew. As far as Triple Crown is concerned I would much rather watch kids play baseball than grown men ride around in tights on county roads. p.s. Please let me know when there will be 2,000 of you self entitled dopes riding around on the county roads so I can go to Denver and deal with some real traffic.

mtroach 5 years, 3 months ago

jk, one car is not traffic. The law allows you to pass cyclists anytime the other lane is clear, even on a double yellow. If the other lane isn't clear, the cyclists shouldn't be riding two abreast, call the sherriff, or use your horn. You don't want to argue points because of the realization that being a selfish road hog isn't a good arguement.

I see laws being stretched by all road users, your beef is with the cops for their slack enforcement of existing laws. You just single out cyclists for your own bias. Sit down at third and oak and tell me how many cars come to a complete stop, vs cyclists. Add to that the fact that you'll never see cyclists driving aggressive, tailgating, or speeding. Just like motorists, a small few cyclists can taint attitudes of drivers when in fact most cyclists, and motorists are law abideing, and actually triing to watch out for other road users, and drive/ride with respect to others.

PS; The insults really prove my point about your bias, and undermine your opinions and crediability. Look in the mirror and tell me who is the self entitled dope. Once you drop to that level I take it to mean that you don'tsee it as a last resort for your side.

The Tour de Steamboat is july 18 http://rockypeakproductions.com/Tour%20de%20Steamboat%20site/index.html The Steamboat Stage Race is Labor day weekend sept 4-7 http://www.bikesteamboat.com/ Additionaly the Tour of Wyoming will be comming through town on july13-14. Riding from Walden, sleeping in Steamboat, and onto to Craig. http://www.cyclewyoming.org/tour.htm

TWill 5 years, 3 months ago

Roach- did you hear what you just said? "The law allows you to pass cyclists anytime the other lane is clear, even on a double yellow"

Those double yellow lines are painted on the road because sight distance is limited and it is UNSAFE TO PASS! Do you really think the risk of a head-on collision or other major traffic accident with another vehicle is worth the inconvenience of your leg-shaving buddies have to put up with to get into single file? What if it were a group of your leotard-clad cohorts riding three abreast in the oncoming lane? Then what?

I used the term utopian bubble tongue in cheek earlier, but maybe that's where you go after too much time with a tiny seat in your butt?

bellyup 5 years, 3 months ago

TW, "bun-hugging spandex"? "Leotard-clad cohorts"?

JK, "grown men ride around in tights on county roads."

They're called "bike shorts". They're designed to keep your @$$ from getting sore while spending lots of time on a bicycle. They were made out of wool until the 1980's, since then they are nylon/lycra blends and millions have been sold world-wide. They've been around longer than any truck you have ever owned, so get over it.

A reasonable person could read your posts and conclude that your rage toward bicyclists is simply thinly disguised homophobia.

bellyup 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm sorry, windle was the owner of "bun-hugging spandex" . I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Corey Piscopo 5 years, 3 months ago

"leg-shaving buddies, leotard-clad cohorts, bunch of spoiled children, bun-hugger spandex team sponsered uniform, grown men ride around in tights, self entitled dopes, with a tiny seat in your butt"

Wow, what are you, twelve years old? You can't talk reasonably about bikes on roads without throwing in your own personal hate and name calling. Way to represent Steamboat, assuming you are even from Steamboat. I live on fourth st and use oak st by bike and car daily, it is certainly safer and I look forward to them doing the same for yampa.

jk 5 years, 3 months ago

Ok I will retract my "self entitled dopes" comment and apologize for the name calling. However when the arrogance of a group denies them from admitting they rarely follow traffic laws, and are creating a hazard on the road I get frustrated. I understand that they are as entitled to the road as I, but this in no way changes the fact they are creating the hazard. belly, as far as the bike shorts thing goes I was just commenting on my preferance to watch baseball. If your tight shorts make your hiney feel better good for you. One less distraction as you ride down the narrow country roads. Corey, as for your comment I figure that most people who are actually from this town long for the days they could drive their horse trailers down the county roads without having to encounter a single person riding a bike.

jk 5 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately the law says that windle. I don't think it is right either, can't a car be pulled over for not maintaining a minimum speed? You do bring up an interesting point however. I wonder if roach and the other cyclists would be interested in paying a licensing fee that went to the maintenance of roads, or more specifically the bike lanes, which was my original beef.?

Martha D Young 5 years, 3 months ago

Windel and jk make good points. I, too, am a cyclist and am moritified when I see riders blatantly disobey traffic laws. I'd single out the riders on "cruisers" also. Although the bike lane striping on Oak Street is a help, I believe that stop and lane lines on our highly-traveled roads are more essential. More people drive cars than ride bicycles. I own 2 automobiles and pay taxes for both. I assume they contribute more wear and tear on our roads than do my 2 bikes.

mtroach 5 years, 3 months ago

I would pay if you could show how much damage and wear my bike does to a road vs that of a F-250 or a loaded horse trailer. If you could quantify the damage either does, I would be willing to pay, but I would wager that the funds generated to offset the damage would be so small that the collection of such a tax would be worthless.

Face it you just don't want anything to disrupt your driving, which tells me that you just don't want to share the road. or That you have issues with the growth of this town/valley that you express as anger toward cyclists because they are easy examples of the new folks in town whose activites you don't understand.

As the people that are "actually from this town" deminish, I wish those that remain remember that us newbies care as much for this place as you natives, we are looking to be good caretakers of the Yampa Yalley legacy we just recreate differently. You can partner with us and help toward a better community or just become more and more bitter toward the changes that you can't control. I'm sorry that in my 17 years in Steamboat I've been ruining the horse trailering for you "locals".

jk 5 years, 3 months ago

roach, Ok you got me, but if you're not willing to be part of the solution then you are part of the problem. We threw down a simple solution to help and you rode right on by! Your arrogance and self entitlement has shown brightly in your last post. I tried not to name call ,however that statement is like saying bike shorts are tight. I hope the rest of the cycling community has a good summer and please be careful out there. I am looking out for you please look out for me!

aichempty 5 years, 3 months ago

Here's an idea. If they put in angled parking along Oak Street it will increase the number of available spaces and eliminate the turn lanes which are too narrow anyway.

mtroach 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey I'm more than wiling to be part of a solution that benifits all, but I'm doubtful that bike licences would bring in enough revenue to build the type of shouldered roads we need. Sharing what limited road space we have would be a great start, but that would mean slowing for other road users, no matter if it's lycra clad cyclists or those irrating slow moving horse trailers, and ranchers. That seems to be the main beef you have with cyclists on the roads, driving hazzards from slow moving users.

I'm a firm beliver that roads can be built that can allow all users safe passage, our problem is that the county roads are not built to handle the increased usage from the growth Routt county has experenced. Plain and simply we have outgrown our infrastructure. The parking downtown, and gridlock on US40, are all apart of this same problem.

routtcountyriders 5 years, 3 months ago

This forum highlights just some of the issues we face in improving this aspect of our community. We need to make our roads safer - people want and are entitled to ride bikes in the county. We have outgrown the existing infrastructure and our narrow county roads are now in demand from an increasing population that is not just pulling horse trailers. RV's, trailers with 4-wheelers, boats, construction trucks and more are all part of the mix - in fact you have to be patient to see the ranchers out there.

In the middle of all this is the most vulnerable road user group - cyclists. Cyclists are not going away so we need to focus on more positive debate about how to make roads safer without screaming at each other. There may be some less considerate cyclists out there, but the same can be said of many drivers out there who are a lot safer in the cab of their trucks. That is not the debate - the majority of road users meet a higher standard and are just trying to get to where they want to be.

Lets hope that the share the road debate can be continued before we are discussing fatalities. There is a great opportunity for our community to become more bike friendly - this would diversify our tourism base and encourage more locals to use the roads in a healthy way.

jk 5 years, 3 months ago

So rcr everything you have stated is true, now what are you willing to chip in? Every user group you have stated, and some you haven't, pays a liscensing fee. Would you be willing to liscense your bikes to help offset the costs of building a new infrastructure? Or even the cost of maintaining the current bike lanes that have already been introduced?? And please don't give me the old wear and tear argument. Several peoples, boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles, atvs and personal watercraft never touch a county road, but they still pay a liscensing fee.

goremtn 5 years, 3 months ago

jk: Great questions.
APplause is due to city for getting the GOCO and CDOT grants for the pedestrian bridges, but still quite alarming that the city admits to having no money in the capital improvements budget to pay for these things.

oldskoolstmbt 5 years, 3 months ago

i feel your pain, windle...this happens about 3X a week with me as well....and what you said IS what makes sense!! thank you!...our roads out here have not even been maintained for motorized vehicles... i guess there should be a warning sign @ rcr14 & 131: ride at your own risk....and maybe a "drop box"...you know, like they used to have on the mountain...write your name on a piece of paper and hope you make it out on the other side...

routtcountyriders 5 years, 3 months ago

Contrary to (your) popular opinion you do not own the roads. That's why "Share the Road" means you must share the road - it is the law!

Cyclists are legally entitled users and we will get nowhere if we focus on the concept of "ride at your own risk". Who wants the death or serious injury of anyone on their conscience? With the state of our county roads we have some competing interests and we have to work together to solve this issue. RCR is dedicated to making this a more bicycle friendly community and anything we can do is better than standing by, insulting each other and waiting for accident statistics to roll in.

Why was a recent ballot issue that would have funded many improvements defeated? Because we have yet to wake up to the reality that this is everyones problem. Few cyclists are not also license fee / gas tax paying consumers at the same time. It just so happens that there are many other laudable benefits to cycling in our community that are impossible to ignore. Let alone that people want to and are legally entitled to ride their bikes on county roads.

mtroach 5 years, 3 months ago

windle, Ok monday I was returning to the 'Boat from Denver when I came up on a Dark Green Camry, tailgating a truck that was only going 65mph. The young teenage girls were 10 ft or less off the bumper of the truck, who was in turn following another truck, at a reasonable distance. When we got to the Will.Frk Res. the front truck slowed and my momentum brought my truck up close to the Camry, and the girls turned around in the front seats and looked back at me with disgust that I would tailgate THEM. All while still tailgating the truck in front of them. We were struck with the irony of their situtation, they were clueless to the fact that they were closer to the truck in front of them than I was to them. Traffic going into south on HWY9 was such that noone could pass, but these girls stayed with the tailgating untill we got into Kremmling. I took a back road through town to avoid the 4-5 trucks we came up on and made it out of Kremmling in front of the teens and their Camry. They caught me again in the badlands before the pass, and even though I was stuck behind another car that was doing the 60mph limit, those girls in the Camry tailgated me till we got out of the badlands and into a passable section. Then they sped off. Pulling away from me at over 90mph, both I and the other car had sped back up to 70mph when they sped by.

My point is that their are all kinds of users that have the right to the road, and endanger themselves and others and many of them are in cars. Those truck drivers should be commended for their patience, and you could learn a lesson about sharing the road and passing when the conditions allow instead of getting all self entitled yourself, and bragging up your family's heritage.

BTW; That dark green Camry turned off and went down toward S.Routt. If you or anyone else knows the owner of a Dark Green Camry, with the pimp, gold trim package driven by a teenage girl, with a hula dancer air freshener hanging fron the rear view mirror, Tell her parents she needs to mellow out when driving. If she wants to go fast down the open road, tailgating is not the best way to do it. She needs to leave enough room between her car and the next so that if a passable condition presents itself, you can at least see around the car your triing to pas, instead of "Pushing" two full size trucks at 70 mph for 20 miles. She missed several passing oppurtunites while staring at that trucks bumper.

mtroach 5 years, 3 months ago

PS, I own two trucks, one car, and a home in Routt County, and pay taxes on all of those. I have helped to pay for the roads we all use, and somedays I don't even drive my cars on them. Like RCR said, the public had a chance to vote on building better roads, and we voted down new taxes to build better roads,soo if you have a problem with the roads it's your fellow voters fault, not the users. Face facts If RCR14 had been rebuilt to handle all the traffic that the growth of Stagecoach put on the road, your drive would be better, smoother, and safer. Blame your elected officials (Nancy, Doug, & Diane) for allowing growth without maintaining/upgradeing the roads to handle the increase in traffic.

Corey Piscopo 5 years, 3 months ago

"And sorry us ranchers whose families who have been here for over 100 years are such a nuisance to you bike riders."

Windle, I am confused. Don't ranchers like yourself use the county roads all the time for ranching activites like slow moving farm equipment, moving livestock across fields, open ranges, trailering horses, etc? I don't see that as any more of a nuisance than slow moving snowplows, loaded trucks going slow up a hill, a school bus stopping every few miles, or a group of people out for a bike ride. I have encountered work horses out on Twenty Mile rd a number of times right in the middle of the road and it is not a big deal for me to wait a few minutes until I can pass without spooking them. I have no problem sharing with all of these slow moving users, in fact I have come to expect them just like I expect to see wildlife crossing the road.

That being said, I also have no problem putting my bike into the dirt to let a truck get by without stalling out and would not ride more than single file on that road. Those two riders could have just purchased bikes and be new to the sport or maybe from out of town and not familiar with the road or even just out to lunch, who knows. I am not sure it really says anything about the question of whether bikes have a right to ride on our county roads. You could argue single file only on that road and, if it is such a daily problem to you and your neighbors why not pass a single file law which I have seen done in plenty of other towns.

It's interesting though how you try to make this an "us and them" argument; us ranchers in our trucks, them in their spandex and bicycles. Maybe we have more in common than you realize. I have not lived here for a 100 years like you, but I would like to think Steamboat is a small community that respects the diversity of interests and views, new and old, but maybe that is too naive of me.

And for those who want more taxes, don't we give tax breaks to those things we want encourage like hybrids and efficiency and raise taxes on things we agree are not good like cigarettes and vehicles that get 10mpg? But I guess reasonable people could disagree as to whether we want more people riding bicycles....

oldskoolstmbt 5 years, 3 months ago

single file law...hummmm, who will withhold that one, OC is so proud we have no police force, don't you know?...sheriff is busy doing the town of yampa, pberg, and oc problems.... bottom line, you ride your skinny-tired bike on roads like 14 and such, you must crave the graze of death, because there are plenty of other roads with at least 2 more ft of shoulder...and as for the slow moving cattle, tractors, etc... i think the idea was they ARE the reason there even is a road here, yet alone paved.(settlement)..cattle, tractors, cars, etc ALL travel on dirt...but not your skinny tires...

Corey Piscopo 5 years, 3 months ago

"cattle, tractors, cars, etc ALL travel on dirt:but not your skinny tires:" I am not sure I see your point here? I ride dirt on my road bike all the time, how is that a factor in this? Paradise valley, emerald loop, sleeping giant, Flattops byway are all excellent dirt road rides. Because the road was created for wagons, they are more entitled to it? hmmm..

Corey Piscopo 5 years, 3 months ago

"you must crave the graze of death, because there are plenty of other roads with at least 2 more ft of shoulder"

Why people ride that road is an important question. It actually is the only way to connect a number of loops back to town like the Coal Mine/CR27, Gore Pass, Catamount/Paradise Valley, Flattops byway. My time riding it has been fairly safe and most cars heading out to Stagecoach have no problem giving me a few feet, but I could see two wide causing a car to slow down. I personally ride 14 because I crave Judy's donuts in Oak Creek, maybe I will bump into you there.

jk 5 years, 3 months ago

Well it looks like all of the cyclists want their slice of the pie, but thay don't want to chip in any apples. They are all willing to point fingers, but gripe when it is pointing at them. I think no one but cyclists complain about ranchers moving cattle,horses, and tractors because we realize they are doing their JOB! They are creating a hazard to earn a living not to recreate. This thread has made me loose any compassion I had for the road cycling community. I hope you all ride safe out there, and remember, look out for me 'cause I'm looking out for you.

mtroach 5 years, 3 months ago

windle never said the two cyclists were riding two abrest, for all we know they were lawfully riding single file and the semi's didn't pass because they were not sure it would be safe to use the other lane. Other slow moving traffic dosn't stop when blocking the road or the Belly dumpers should have pulled over to let the traffic they were holding up go by.

Fact remains that CR14 over Yellow jacket pass is a poorly designed road with little or no shoulder, bad camber, steep climb/decent and a double yellow no passing stripe. On that grade, if loaded, those trucks don't have the power to speed up, and get past even the slowest of cyclists without potentally causing an accident. I would bet money that from a dead stop, Corey could beat them up the pass.

Thanks to professionalism of the truckers nothing bad happened, they are a great example of how patience and respect for fellow road users makes our roads safer.

windle I'm sory if you were late getting home to feed your cows, I know how angry the herd can get if you are not on time.

Corey Piscopo 5 years, 3 months ago

"I think no one but cyclists complain about ranchers moving cattle,horses, and tractors because we realize they are doing their JOB! "

I have not heard any cyclists complaining about ranchers, not sure why you are again trying to create this divide and isolate people. Not sure all of the new people coming into town with developments like sb700 will understand the role of ranching in town though.

jk 5 years, 3 months ago

Corey,"You can partner with us and help toward a better community or just become more and more bitter toward the changes that you can't control. I'm sorry that in my 17 years in Steamboat I've been ruining the horse trailering for you "locals"." "those irrating slow moving horse trailers, and ranchers." I guess you haven't been reading your buddy roaches posts very well. Sorry for his spelling.

oldskoolstmbt 5 years, 3 months ago

i am yet to see a clean shaven, lycra wearin', road biker, with skinny tires and yes, a death wish, out breakin' trail like these rancher families have for 100's of years...yes, this IS the reason there is a f'n road in the first place...my point about this right-o-way bullsh*t...you like 14 because it gives you a break from the crazies doing 65-70 to the crazies doing 35-45....and your right, the people the 700 development attract (AFFORDABLE housing, yeah we've heard that before) will not understand the role of ranching, or anything else in this community that established this valley...

routtcountyriders 5 years, 3 months ago

We are dealing with today, not the last 100 years. Everyone today has their place and this is not a debate about who was here first.

We need to make the roads safer. Safer than they are today because today, in addition to the ranchers, there are people driving RV's and hauling boats, four-wheelers and dirt-bikes, people taking their kids to school and soccer and dance class and back, people hauling gravel and doing construction, people trying to get to their jobs and back etc etc. It's a bigger more diverse community and in all of this mix there are people just getting out to recreate in this beautiful valley. All perfectly legal and legitimate needs (.....life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...?!).

All these needs amount to a problem. The roads need improvement and the community needs to get on board with this idea. The idea posed at the last election of de-brucing some of the revenue from property tax that is protected by TABOR was brilliant! 2/3 of Routt County property owners do not live here - so a substantially lower portion of these costs would be felt by the hard-working community that lives here. Instead of saying no to taxes next time lets look at the equation and realize that the money has to come from somewhere - the feds are broke - so we have to decide for ourselves what kind of community we live in and take the necessary steps.

jk 5 years, 3 months ago

rcr, I hope you ride your bike as well as you dance! You have danced around the subject of a license fee for your road bikes so beautifully you should be on Dancing With the Stars!! I think it may be time to stop pointing fingers and step up to the plate! I know where alot of the funding you seek to start these improvement projects could come from. Oh but that would mean pointing the finger at you. I know what kind of community I live in and I pay for my play, maybe the road crew should do the same.

jk 5 years, 3 months ago

rcr,"in addition to the ranchers, there are people driving RV's and hauling boats, four-wheelers and dirt-bikes, people taking their kids to school and soccer and dance class and back, people hauling gravel and doing construction, people trying to get to their jobs and back etc etc.", Just a reminder there are a few people in this group who pay a licensing fee on the trailer as well as what it is hauling. It seems sad your group can't kick in a little for the use of our roads too.

routtcountyriders 5 years, 3 months ago

I can ride and dance but that's another story for another time.

There are several problems with your argument that a license fee on cyclists would pay for road improvements that are needed to make the roads safer for everyone.

1. There are not enough bikes in Routt County to get to this number without requiring cyclists to re-mortgage their homes several times over to meet the fee that would be needed.

2. License fees are not what fund road improvements - it's tax on Gas. When gas prices go down, so does this tax. The Irony of this funding is that burning gas is bad for the environment and demand for gas keeps prices high. To fund our roads we simply have to drive more, in less fuel efficient vehicles and eventually you will get there (or not). Cyclists are the problem here because they burn no gas and are under-pinning your major funding mechanism because they are reducing demand for gas which keeps gas prices low (don't want that do you?). All joking aside the majority of cyclists own motor vehicles and pay for the roads regardless (consuming gas) and they pay a license fee for what it is worth.

3. Cyclists are the least impacting user on wear and tear on the roads, so in the case of the majority who also own vehicles they do contribute as you do, but when they ride their bikes they help reduce wear and tear and unnecessary pollution.

Instead of wagging your finger at cyclists start thinking about TABOR and what it has done to funding for road and infrastructure improvement funding as the State wrestles with 38% population growth over the last 14 years and 25% increases in traffic.

TABOR works counter to growth by reducing funding through property tax by adjusting the mil levy. Property price increases caused by growth should increase property taxes to pay for infrastructure improvements that are required to meet the demands of growth. The state of our roads tells me that TABOR does not help us manage growth and that an adjustment is needed. Remember 2/3 of property is owned by non-residents, so you only get to pay a portion of this cost.

I promise you that cyclists in Routt County live in houses and pay property tax. So this way we all pay. Lets revisit the de-brucing proposal that failed at the last election, look at the sunsetting provisions that caused heart-burn for some voters and fund the improvements that would make us all happy :-)

mtroach 5 years, 3 months ago

Sorry I ain't no good at spelling, or forum sarcasm either.

I have no problems with slower road users, only intolerant, impatient, dangerous drivers. And for the record i buy and eat local beeef as much as possible. YUM!

mtroach 5 years, 3 months ago

Another thought, what about retesting drivers every 5 years, and issuing a bike stamp to the drivers licence. I would gladly pay an additional licence fee to prove that I know the rules of the road. Testing both drivers, motorcyclists and cyclists to their knowledge of the rules of the road would help to keep road use laws fresh in our minds. Just how does testing at 16 make you a safe driver 40 years later? It seems unbelivable that once you have your drivers licence no additional testing or training is ever required.

Clearsky 5 years, 2 months ago

Anyone involved in an accident where there is injury or death should have their driver's license removed on the spot as they do in more civilized areas of the world. Then they go to court to determine whether or not they will get it back. THen all you angry #&* could walk and ride a bike too.

jk 5 years, 2 months ago

roach, rcr, Corey,Thanks for the comments it has been an interesting debate. I am fairly certain we did not gain any ground, but that is generally the way debates go on this forum. As I have stated before have a good summer riding, and look out for me, as I am looking out for you!

jk 5 years, 2 months ago

roach, and by the way I am with you on this one, "Another thought, what about retesting drivers every 5 years, and issuing a bike stamp to the drivers licence. I would gladly pay an additional licence fee to prove that I know the rules of the road. Testing both drivers, motorcyclists and cyclists to their knowledge of the rules of the road would help to keep road use laws fresh in our minds.", it would probably make things safer for everyone.

Matt Heydon 5 years, 2 months ago

Routt County Road & Bridge Department is hosting two meetings to explore our multi-use roadways and how these uses may be accommodated.

At the first meeting they will detail issues regarding shared uses on county roads including definitions of mixed/multi uses and state statutes governing these uses, accommodation of the use with road engineering and geometry, pros and cons of designated bike lanes or other restrictions to travel, funding for fog lines, funding sources for mixed uses. Some of the mixed uses include pedestrians, wheelchair pedestrians, animals, bicycle and motorized bicycle, skateboards, roller blades, roller skis, snowmobiles, automobiles, and bicycles. The second meeting will focus on public comment and discussion.

Meeting times and dates:

June 29, 2009 6:00pm to 8:00pm in Routt County Commissioners Hearing Room (136 6th St. 3rd floor of Historic Courthouse)

July 6, 2009 6:00pm to 8:00pm in Routt County Commissioners Hearing Room

Matt Heydon 5 years, 2 months ago

CORRECTION:

The Board of County Commissioners will be taking public comment on June 29 as well as on July 6.

Comment on June 29 will focus more on facts presented by the handout attached as well as other information members of the public might have: what roads, standards, value of multi use, types of uses, economic aspects, etc. July 6 will follow with continued public comment and discussion of what solutions the County can provide for multi-use.

If you are unable to attend and would like to comment, you can contact a Routt County Riders representative and/or The Routt County Road & Bridge Dept.

mtroach 5 years, 2 months ago

Just a reminder that this meeting is tonight, all you posters with a desire to make a change need to attend. The County needs input and while this forum is a nice place to exchange ideas, the real place to make a difference is at the public meeting. I'll be there and hope everyone posting to this thread takes the time to attend and give input to our county government about our roads.