Lorna Farrow and her husband, Gary, are pictured in June 2005. Lorna Farrow died  Tuesday after she was struck by a dump truck while checking her mailbox on U.S. Highway 40.

Photo by Tom Ross

Lorna Farrow and her husband, Gary, are pictured in June 2005. Lorna Farrow died Tuesday after she was struck by a dump truck while checking her mailbox on U.S. Highway 40.

Lorna Farrow dies in crash

Longtime local was a gun enthusiast, repair shop owner

— Lorna Lou Farrow, a local shooting enthusiast and co-owner of Farrow Repair Service in western Steamboat Springs, died Tuesday after she was struck by a dump truck while checking her mailbox on U.S. Highway 40.

According to Colorado State Patrol Sgt. Scott Elliott, the dump truck was traveling west on U.S. 40 and struck Farrow, 58, when it swerved to the right to avoid hitting a Jeep that slowed to turn left into the Riverbend Cabins. The accident occurred at about 1:30 p.m. in front of Farrow Repair in the 26800 block of West U.S. 40. Farrow was transported to the hospital in critical condition. She died at about 2:30 p.m., Routt County Coroner Rob Ryg said.

Friends remembered Farrow as a strong-willed and caring woman.

"There wasn't anything she wouldn't do for anybody," said Judd Jacobs, a former mechanic at Farrow Repair. "She was unbelievably friendly."

The Jeep was driven by Maggie Warner, 25, of Steamboat. She was not injured in the accident. The dump truck driver, James Stackhouse, 60, of Hayden, sustained minor injuries. Stackhouse and the owner of the JMG Transport dump truck declined to comment.

A Colorado State Patrol news release states that Stackhouse "did not act in time and had to aggressively brake and swerve to the right to avoid striking the Jeep. : Drug and alcohol use are not believed to be contributing factors in this crash, however, inattentive driving is likely the main cause of this crash."

"The crash remains under investigation, and no charges have been filed yet," Elliott wrote in an e-mail.

Farrow ran Farrow Repair Service with her husband, Gary, and brother-in-law Dusty. Gary and Dusty Farrow's father, G.N. "Bo" Farrow, opened the business as a welding shop in 1955, and the business evolved to include tractor sales and repairs. Lorna Farrow managed part sales for the business.

Outside of work, Lorna Farrow was an avid shooter, and friends said she was very active with the Routt County Rifle Club, particularly when it came to getting women involved in the sport.

"I want women to come out to discover how much fun it is," Lorna Farrow told the Steamboat Pilot & Today in 2002. "Until they lose the intimidation factor, they aren't comfortable shooting guns. : If handled correctly, guns aren't dangerous."

Routt County Sheriff's Office Investigator Ken Klinger, a member of the Rifle Club, said Lorna Farrow was "very active in inspiring other women to learn how to shoot" and was instrumental in organizing events at the gun range.

John Rogan, a friend who also knew Lorna Farrow from the Rifle Club, said she was a strong-minded woman who accomplished anything she put her mind to.

"She was a great friend, and when she asked you to do a job, she expected you to do it," Rogan said. "And she took on an inordinate amount of work herself."

Lorna Farrow originally was from southern Colorado. She and Gary Farrow did not have any children. Family members could not be reached Tuesday, and details about services were not available.

Comments

just1more 5 years, 2 months ago

So sad I just saw her last week. That will be a smile missed by many. God bless.

greenwash 5 years, 2 months ago

RIP. Lorna will be missed Farrows is an institution here in Routt County and she was a big reason for its success.

Riverbend is very dangerous,and people drive way to fast and cant slow down and swerve into shoulder. Ive seen it many times.Golf Course ,Cabins,Hayden,Craig traffic has increased steadily over the years.CDOT need to widen road and put in proper turn lanes or this will happen again.

Terry Noble 5 years, 2 months ago

Lorna was a good friend for many years. I will remember her laugh, kindness and compassion. I am deeply saddened she met her fate because of a dump truck. If they are allowed to continue breaking the laws (speeding) more will die. Such a shame. My sincere condolences go out to Gary, Dusty and her many many friends! TNoble Tennessee

shooker5 5 years, 2 months ago

Steamboatdog, I object to the comment that you have made by singling out a dumptruck "breaking the laws (speeding)" as to why Lorna was hit a killed. Dumptrucks and other large trucks are often subjected to other motorists passing on corners and double yellow lines just because "they can't stand to be behind a dumptruck".

If the vehicle involved had been any other large vehicle, say a Semi truck hauling your favorite beverage, I wonder what you would have said about that driver and vehicle. I can't even imagine how the driver of the dumptruck feels. My guess he probably knew Lorna.

The cold hard facts are that section of US40 is dangerous. There is no left turn lane, yet many vehicles turn left there for the golf course and Riverbend and have to stop because of oncoming traffic. The road transitions speed limits both ways there as well. Maybe the oncoming vehicle that the Jeep was waiting for was speeding. Maybe we should blame that vehicle. I think that this was a point in time where handful of people were in the wrong place at the wrong time and nothing can change that now.

Lorna was a friend and I enjoy visiting with her when we had tractors break down and equipment failures. She will be greatly missed by everyone in the ag community.

Maybe we should pull together and petition CDOT to put a left turn lane there and reduce the speed limit until west of the Dunkels pit.

Dickie 5 years, 2 months ago

I grew up with Lorna, as with her older brother, we just knew each other was out there and stayed in touch on special occasions. I grieve for their mother and am thankful she is strong and knows the Lord is standing with her. I am very very sad!

nxoby36 5 years, 2 months ago

It is about time that you fools turning into the golf course understood that you need to use your turn signal and turn it on early, before the curve ! Especially if you have a Truck behind you , those trucks can not stop on a dime no matter what their speed is and the speed limit increases to 55 mph right there . That of course implies that you use your rearview mirror , which is unlikely . I couldn't count the number of times the car in front of me hit their brakes then turned on their blinker as they made a turn .

Terry Noble 5 years, 2 months ago

Your objection was noted shooker5 but full of holes. I stand by what I said. I drove in Routt and Moffit Counties for over 15 years and witnessed dump trucks speeding and tailgating vehicles (mine included) several hundred times. The cold hard facts are that most of these trucks are paid on a per load delivered basis. Thus their reason for being in a hurry. The cold hard fact is that this man made a fatal error in judgement or Lorna would still be alive. We don't know how the truck driver feels because they (he and his boss) are declining to comment. Speeding is not just in reference to the posted speed limit it is also dictated by existing conditions as in a vehicle making a lefthand turn in front of it. The charges are yet to be determined. I am not against dumptrucks being on the highway. I am agains their disreguard for the law. I have also noted the best dumptruck drivers seem to be women. Dumptrucks provide a needed service in the Yampa Valley and their presence will only increase as time goes on. I am not singling out this particular driver. The CSP will determine his charges. As to your reference to "my favorite beverage truck", I'm at a total loss as to what that's suppose to mean. I will not post in reference to this again as I don't want to be a part of the rediculous tirades I see in here all too often. The cold hard fact is Lorna is gone and there is nothing she did wrong to merit that except go to get the mail as she has done for many years. Sad!

Tink7 5 years, 2 months ago

Lorna was a great mentor and friend and will be greatly missed by all who knew her. My huggs, thoughts, and prayers go out to her family and all her friends.

I agree with "shooker5" that a petition should be made to have CDOT put in a turn lane.

.... We Love you Lorna and you will allways be in our hearts. <3

Oshkoshgirl 5 years, 2 months ago

Lorna was a key member of the Yampa Valley Breast Cancer Awareness Project and worked tirelessly for the Bust of Steamboat. She was always coming up with new and quirky ideas to promote the cause, and made the Bust a very successful event. Her shoes will be impossible to fill and she will be missed by all of us on the committee immensely. My heart goes out to Gary and all of her family.

bikinginco 5 years, 2 months ago

Hello all, I am trying to resist some of these comments and having been extremely close to a very similar situation in my life.

1. Even if the jeep turning into the golf course did not use there turn signal(which has not been proven they did or did not use) the jeeps brake lights should be an indicator that they are slowing down.
  2. If the dump truck could not slow down in time to not have to swerve, it was following to close. I am certain that the truck driver feels horrible. That does not change the fact that an innocent person has died.

It is unfortunate that Lorna's death has to be the reason for a post like this.

My sincere condolences to the Farrow family. I know your pain to well.

Dawn Wommer-Moen 5 years, 2 months ago

I am Lorna's niece (her brother's daughter) first off I want to thank everyone for the condolences on here. I unfortunately live in Washington state and am unable to be close to my family in this terrible time. It is a really good feeling to be able to read all of the nice posts on here about Aunt Lorna of how great of a woman she was.

I unfortunately haven't had the chance to be as close to my Aunt as some because of the distance between here and there. I would like to add to the condolences to include her parents Ed Wommer and Laura May Simpson, unfortunately they have had 2 of their 3 children killed in tragic accidents within the last 7 years.

I realize this news article is also about the accident, but isn't there somewhere else everyone can post their negative comments about the trucks, speeding & traffic problems y'all have. It is just very hard for family to read negative information when I am just trying to come to the realization of this horrible tragedy.

Dawn R. Wommer-Moen

nwconative 5 years, 2 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those touched by this terrible tragedy.
I trust that the CSP will determine if one or both of the drivers were using their cell phones, Blackberry's, PDA's, etc. or were otherwise distracted at the time of this tragic incident. Many of us could learn a lesson from this type of information being released to the public in addition to questions about turn signals, brake lights, speed, etc.

sandmountain 5 years, 2 months ago

Everyone in the community will miss Lorna. If we needing something she would either obtain it for us, or keep trying. She was a strong leader and accomplished many good things. Condolances go out to Gary and Lorna's family.

groomin 5 years, 2 months ago

Steamboatdog I think your comment is full of hole. 99% of the dump truck running in the yampa valley are payed by the hour. So why speed and tailgate. They get payed by the hour. They will get there when the get there. The only trucks payed my the load are the coal truck. The driver may have made a fatal decission, but a truck that weights 24,000 lbs traveling at 50 mph you do not have no more then hundreths of a second to decide what you are going to do. I guess he could have ran up the jeeps rear end and pushed it into on coming traffic may be taking even more lives. Dont be so quick to blame the dump trucks. There are a lot of other factors that came in play. The wrong place at the wrong time. A very sad situation. I feel deeply sorry for the family and the driver. I bet the driver will never get behind the wheel again. Accidents do happen and they often happen to very good people. My prayers go out to Lorna's family, the driver and his family and the owner of the company. Hopefully they are all very strong and will push through the hard times.

Fred Duckels 5 years, 2 months ago

Things happen, and it seems that only faith , wisdom and time can help relieve the pain, very sad.

bikinginco 5 years, 2 months ago

It does not matter how they get payed!!! This says it all, Quote from above "The driver may have made a fatal decission, but a truck that weights 24,000 lbs traveling at 50 mph you do not have no more then hundreths of a second to decide what you are going to do"

Knowing that your truck weighs that much you should give your self more room to stop then a regular vehicle. Come on people! A person died because a vehicle did not give themselvesa enough room to stop, slow down or whatever you want to call it. We all need to slow down.

THIS WAS AVOIDABLE!

JustSomeJoe 5 years, 2 months ago

Shooker5 and groomin - How can you possibly defend the truck driver? You should both be ashamed and apologize for what you said.

The law is absolute, when you are following a car you have to follow at a safe distance based on all road conditions. It doesn't matter if that jeep's blinker and brake lights are broken, if you are following it then you are responsible for following at a safe distance. It wouldn't matter under the law if the jeep driver stood on her brakes, again with no brake light. As a driver your responsiblity is to follow at a safe distance and remain in control of your vehicle. It's for safety you know, so you don't kill someone.

Your arguments that it's a dangerous, busy road and that people regularly drive like fools only bolster the idea that ANY driver in that situation should have slowed down and followed at a safe distance. That safe distance is different for every vehicle and road/condition. Certainly a loaded or unloaded dump truck is going to take longer to brake, therefore it needs a larger distance. Groomin thinks he had hundredths of a second to react, if so, he wasn't following at a safe distance.

This driver's lack of attention killed Lorna Farrow.

Earlier this year the DA missed an opportunity to show we take driving seriously in Routt County when she declined to press charges on a man who killed a pedestrian at Pine Grove Road and 40. I hope she doesn't miss this opportunity to show drivers that they need to be held accountable for their actions. Otherwise, what's the point? You get a traffic ticket for killing someone? Take responsibility for your actions. If it takes driving the speed limit and following safely, then so be it. It's what I do. I know you see me, passing me when I'm doing 25 MPH in my neighborhood or on Lincoln avenue when the posted limit is 25. MPH. Drivers need to understand they will be held responsible for their actions behind the wheel. Unsafe driving will continue to kill people in Routt County, but perhaps if the DA decides to enforce the laws here then more people would take driving seriously.

mavis 5 years, 2 months ago

Are all of you really so self centered that you didn't pay attention to Dawn's request?? Take this conversation elswhere

As for the Family our deepest sympathy goes out to you in this time. Lorna was a wonderful person and please stay strong during this difficult time.

nxoby36 5 years, 2 months ago

Dawn , I would like to apologize to you , Gary and the rest of your family for the comment about drivers and driving habits that I posted here . It was inappropriate and rude for me to be so petty and unfeeling of your grief , I'm sorry . I have suggested its removal along with the removal of all other comments attached to this article containing anything other than sympathy for your families loss . Please don't judge the people of Steamboat by the seemingly thoughtless comments that were written here by a few of us .

Linda A Danter 5 years, 2 months ago

The bottom line is that Lorna was a very caring and charitable person. Each year she donated to Steamboat's Rally For The Cure golf tournament and was part of the Yampa Valley Breast Cancer Awareness Project team. My sincerest condolences to the family. Lorna will be missed by our community.

Clearsky 5 years, 2 months ago

If a driver is involved in an accident that results in injury or death, their driver's license should be removed by the police at the scene and held until the court system decides whether or not to reinstate their privilege, regardless if it is a commercial or noncommercial license. I'd feel a little safer with those drivers off the road.

dave reynolds 5 years, 2 months ago

I would fist like the farrow family to know that my famlies thoughts and praers are with them in there time of need be comforted in knowing God has one moree good soul in Heaven.I mean no dis respect to the farrow family by what I post here

This was a tragic accident and a valuable member of a family and our community was lost..but you people railing on the truck driver need to ask yourselves these questions

1> how many of you are required by law to take a physical every 2 years to retain your license 2.how many of you are required by law to do a pre and post trip inspection of your vechile everyday you drive it 3.how many of you in order to pass your driving test are required to do a walk around with the examiner and explain how the steering suspension and brakes works 3.did you know even tough a commerical driver is in their own vechile if they chose to drink and drive their BAC is .05 and regular drivers are .08 4.how many of you can pass a random drug test 5.how many of you can honestly say that you haven't taken a chance to get around a truck because you don't want to follow it

not all CDL drivers are great driver just today I was tailgated by a oversized load boom truck...that driver makes all of us CDL drivers look bad...not all regular drivers are bad but I see so many no stoping at yellow light when they are at least 75 feet from intersection running stop signs passing on double yellow lines(lic plate 515.LEZ white short bed pick up) speeding and numerous other violations only two peole and God know what happened here..I've been passed at the very same place this accident happened OMG its a double yellow line botom line we all need to respect the laws and each other so another tragedy like this doesn't happen

Diana Greubel 5 years, 2 months ago

A tragic freak accident. May God bless and help guide the Farrow family through all the emotions they are feeling at the loss of their loved one. May all that read this comment pray for the Farrow family, and all other victims involved and touched by this tragic accident. God bless....

sandmountain 5 years, 2 months ago

Lorna's complete obiturary was in the Durango Herald on Sunday. It give the time of her memorial service as 9:30 a.m. instead of 10:30 as the Steamboat Today says. Where's her obit in our paper? What is the correct time? Please let us know.

Mike Curzon 5 years, 2 months ago

The correct time for the Memorial Serive is now 10:30 AM. It was going to be at 9:30 but the first happenings announcement was presented with a typo that put the time at 10:30. We are going to stay at 10:30 now to prevent anyone from missing the memorial service. Regards the Obiturary - I have not heard who is writing it although I am sure some one in Lorna's extended family has taken on this task. I thank them in advance for their support and dedication to Lorna and Gary. I would also like to add support to the request from Lorna's niece Dawn to take the discussion/postings regards traffic safety issues and put them somewhere else. I would request that any who have such a posting to please remove it. I thank all in advance for complying with this request and look forward to meeting many of you on Wednesday morning when we come together in celebration of Lorna's life and to support Gary in his time of need.
Mike Curzon