My Wireless employee Lisa Leach stands by the vintage London-style phone booth in front of the store in the 600 block of South Lincoln Avenue. The booth was home to a life-size Superman mannequin, but it recently was stolen.

Photo by Matt Stensland

Superman mannequin stolen

Comic superhero reported missing from My Wireless location

— The Man of Steel is missing.

A mannequin dressed as Superman - complete with blue tights, the familiar "S" logo on the chest and red cape - was reported missing Monday. Superman dutifully greeted customers in front of the My Wireless location at 675 S. Lincoln Ave.

Superman was taken from a locked 1940s London-style red phone booth. It appeared someone had broken the lock with a rock, said Andy Brown, founder of the Steamboat Springs-based Verizon Wireless retailer.

Brown said the Superman mannequin and phone booth were placed outside the store shortly after the company opened its second Steamboat location there, about 1 1/2 years ago. He said it reflects the way My Wireless operates.

"We kind of have a light-hearted approach to everything," he said. "We want everyone to smile."

An employee noticed that the 6-foot-tall, 40-pound Superman had been taken and reported it missing. Steamboat Springs Police Department Capt. Joel Rae said Tuesday that the incident is under investigation.

Aside from some scratched paint to the exterior of the phone booth and a broken light bulb inside, there was no other damage. There was also no damage reported to the store.

Because the store's first location at 1755 Central Park Drive is open Sundays, the South Lincoln Avenue location is not. Brown said Superman could have been taken anytime after closing Saturday to when the store opened Monday morning.

Brown suspects the incident was just a prank and doesn't want anyone to get in trouble. But for a prank to be a prank, he said, Superman would have to be returned.

"Hopefully someone will get their jollies in and bring it back," he said.

My Wireless is offering a $100 store credit, free cell phone upgrade or accessories for the safe return of Superman, Brown said.

Comments

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

Check with the guys in Silverthorne who saw the UFO from their deck, they may have also seen a caped crusader flyover.

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 9 months ago

The Caped Crusader is Batman. Superman is The Last Son of Krypton or The Big Blue Boy Scout. (Comic collector, I am.) If this had happened a few years ago, I might have said he left on his own out of shame for the Superman Returns movie.

Bring Back Kal-El!!!

NchronicPain 4 years, 9 months ago

It's bird!! It's plane!!

Oh wait.... it's a couple drunks with a Superman.

bandmama 4 years, 9 months ago

Oh Heavins!!!!!! IF the sherriffs request to reinstate his dept's salaries, this never would have happened! I was horrified to read above that Brown would be ok with the perps getting thier jollies with Superman, as long as he was returned! Isn't that some form of abuse?

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 9 months ago

Obama was born in Hawaii. Can you prove otherwise? And point out where Krypton and in what galaxy, otherwise...you don't know. LOL!

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

Yea, and I've got ocean front property to sell you in Nevada. Bwahaha.

If your dear leader had nothing to hide then why not produce the long form Birth Certificate? Heck, an active US soldier just had his deployment orders canceled for this reason. The protection of our Country is in jeopardy because Obama won't prove his citizenship like McCain was forced to by Congress. The Dem run Congress has no interest in fairness or Constitutional law I guess.

And your right, I can't name the Doctor or Hospital where Superman was born, but I can't definitively name the Doctor or Hospital where Barry Sorieto Barrack Hussein Obama was either. So where is the Birth Certificate?

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

Gotta respond to the question directly, "Obama was born in Hawaii. Can you prove otherwise?" No, You can't prove your position and I can't prove mine. Not without a true BC.

But it does seem that what he did provide is a fake.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=103294 http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2008/07/atlas-exclusive.html

And all of this over a stolen superman dummy!!

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 9 months ago

How does is seem fake? Geller even admits that she has no actually COLB's in hand...just jpeg images...and images based on COLB's from the 2000's, not the 60's. LOL! Are you willing to prove you're actually an American born citizen? Plus...if Conservatives REALLY believed this, more than just some Reserve Major would have filed lawsuit after lawsuit by now. Ain't happening, is it? Nope. You're own heroes don't believe it enough. All people can say is hearsay. Ever see Bush's birth certificate? Only a photocopy floating out there and I've heard he was born on Mexico's soil, not Connecticut. Prove me wrong!

And all this has nothing to do with Superman. YOU brought it up just to be partisan...because that's what you do. Oh- I have my Birth Certificate. Where do you want to meet so I can prove it? LOL!

Still waiting for that star map coordinate...so I can prove you wrong again. LOL!

Duke_bets 4 years, 9 months ago

seeuski - You seem to be on the rear end of every debate on every post, which is primarily due to your political preference. If you had one thought of your own, you might be better able to compete.

By the way, please learn the difference between your and you're.

bandmama 4 years, 9 months ago

HERE NOW!!!!! I am sure wherever Superman is, he would not want his name tarnished with such unkind words, Duke.... this article is not about politics but about the horrible kidnapping and possible abuse of Superman. When responding to posts, try to keep in mind the level of intelligence involved with those who follow Superman stories..(Oh DOH!!! I just cant keep from checking these posts myself....darn it!!!) Superman!!! Where oh where are you? HELP! (but you are quite correct about "your and you're..drives me nuts too...)

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 9 months ago

Actually, duke, my political preferences would normally run along the lines of seeuski. I'm just able to admit when my party has taken it too far and I will never walk lock-step with them, as seeuski seems to.

While I remain a registered Republican, I'm on the moderate side. I just don't like it when self-professed conservatives blame everything on liberals because they won't take stock of their own party and see that there is no winning when you only see one side. The same goes for far-left Democrats. I also hate it when people provide misinformation on either side. I don't believe the idiots who said Bush was born in Mexico and I don't believe the idiots who say Obama wasn't born in Hawaii. Neither can be proven to be true. The naysayers want proof that either was actually born in the United States, but those same naysayers can't prove the weren't born outside the US. The burden of proof resides with the "prosecution."

And before seeuski thinks up some way to prove where Krypton is (LOL), Superman is a fictional character created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster 1932 (6yrs before Action Comics #1 in 1938- still wish I had one of those originals!) when they lived in Cleveland, Ohio, and was actually a bald telepathic super-villain in "The Reign of the Superman" published in 1933.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

Stoddard, There are typos in your post.

Do you really want me to post all the links to the many lawsuits that have been filed regarding the BC? And the copies that were provided, once by Obama and then by factcheck.org which didn't even match each other, were copies made in 2006 not 1961.

As an American I have a right to be concerned, just like millions of other Americans are, that Obama has refused to provide his long form BC and has hired a team of attorneys to protect the secrecy of not only his Birth Certificate, but his College transcripts. And then recently a suspicious letter is sent by the White House to the supposed Hospital that purportedly delivered Obama and has since been scrubbed. I am not ready to play the lemming role and just accept it as fact. Sorry if that offends any of you who voted for the guy. Oh, and as for Bush and McCain, both of their parents were natural born Americans so by law they could have been born anywhere in the world and still qualify even though both have been shown to having been born on US soil. Besides, I think Dan Rather would have been all over that one along with his fabrication about Bush's Military records. And Stoddard, as far as the party affiliation that we each claim, we have had a full discussion of that already. Only idiots, as you describe it, would believe in a Certificate of Live Birth which doesn't even indicate the Hospital and is not signed by the attending physician or has not been stamped. My copy was stamped.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

And to my pal Dukey, As long as you have been personally attacking me and most other forum members who you disagree with, your words ring hollow. One day maybe you will indicate a position on a subject that can be argued or discussed that does not come from the Olberman clown report.

trump_suit 4 years, 9 months ago

Is it really possible to kidnap superman?? Or is it more likely that he is in Argentina visiting Lois Lane and will return when his stamina has been exhausted?

Would Superman be Democrat or Republican and why? Good dialog here, please keep it friendly and clean.

Superman would be a Democrat because he was all about taking care of the population that needed it.

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 9 months ago

Seeuski- since you cite factcheck.org, here is the link...from last year:

Go figure. I guess you'll just have to keep digging into the mud. And where is Bush 41's Birth Certificate? I certainly haven't seen it, have you? The Bush name etymology is English. Was he maybe born in England instead of on American soil? Nope. No proof of that just like your own link (again) debunked your theory about Obama. Yes- you have a right to be concerned, but I have a right to show you this concern is meaningless since it's not true. You have the right to still believe the fiction and I have the right to make fun of you for believing so blatant a lie. I think it's actually required in the Constitution that I do so. At least, that's what I believe! LOL!

Trump- Superman has never declared a political affiliation in DC Comics. Originally, he fought for Truth, Justice and the American Way. As more realistic world events started being written into comic storylines, he became a citizen of the world. He would have never voted for Lex Luthor as Pres, but a majority did in DC Comics back in 2000. Yes, President Lex Luthor and to serve his country & the world, Supes would serve Luthor as long as he believed it was in the best interest of everyone.

Then again, go back to WWII and you can read about this:

Not very Liberal back then.

Back in the 90's, DC even did a new take on a 1960's story- Superman Blue / Superman Red, which is where Supes was split into 2 beings. In the 90's, it was while he was in his "energy" powers phase. Red was a hard-hitting, pro-active kind of Superman, while Blue was more the thinker. Both had their problems because they had a hard time agreeing with how to handle things. (Thank goodness that phase was...phased out.) Supes became...a Moderate, so to speak. Wonder Woman is the same way with her dichotomies- she's an Amazonian Princess Warrior sent to the outside world to promote the peaceful ideals of the Amazons.

Now, Green Arrow is a tried and true Liberal, while Hawkman was a Conservative. This has been noted since the 70's and continues today.

trump_suit 4 years, 9 months ago

All members of congress, the senate and Presidential candidates are screened extensively by the FBI. Are you saying seeuski that the controversy goes that high and that our entire security force is part of the Obama conspiracy to violate our constitution and place a foreigner in the oval office?

Get a grip, Pres. Obama was born in Hawaii. You hit the mark sometimes, but this accusation is straight out of the comic books.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

I did not make this accusation up, it is being fought in courts around the country and has been a controversy for over a year. All that needs to happen to stop it is for Obama to allow his long form document to be released by whichever Hospital is holding it. I will be the first one to sound off and hail Obama as a natural born American if that happens. Until then I am skeptical. Note to Stoddard, Factcheck is not a non partisan organization and the photo they use at an angle from a distance of the so called BC should put it to rest I suppose, right? Why did they remove the closeup photo they had originally posted, supposedly a match of the one that was on Obamas campaign site at the same time? They were not a match of each other. Sorry, still a skeptic in Steamboat.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

Trump, Goodmorning. If the FBI did an investigation and has proof of Obamas eligibility then why is it being kept a secret. I am not aware though, as you say, that the FBI has ever been tasked with Birthright checks for candidates. You are the only one I have heard of that makes that claim and I believe that would be a Congressional duty, oh, the Dems are in charge and have been since Obama announced his candidacy so I guess that won't happen. Gotta watch Tiger now.

trump_suit 4 years, 9 months ago

Seeuski,

have you ever undergone a security clearance check for a Gov't job? Have you ever applied for a Gov't job? Have you ever been interviewed because your neighbor applied for a secure position? All of these things happen every day. I can absolutely assure you that the FBI has a file on the background of Barrack Obama.

When you you apply for one of those jobs and fill out the forms, one of them gives the FBI permission to investigate your background. I am sure that they did so. because this investigation is not public information, why would you have read that report?

You have finally said another thing I can completely agree with:

"Go Tiger" :)

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

Trump, A criminal background check is one thing, I am not aware of it including a birth check. Sorry. I have been through a check and it did not include what you are suggesting. Lucky break for Tiger with his second shot at 2.

aichempty 4 years, 9 months ago

He was last seen riding in the passenger seat of a red Subaru in the HOV lanes through Atlanta, GA on I-75.

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 9 months ago

seeuski- YOU brought up Factcheck.org 1st. Is it only "non-partisan" when you agree with it? Too much. And I'm sure a birth check is in order since it's a requirement for the job. Thanks for playing. Vanna will have your consolation prize as the door hits you on the way out. (Pssst- It's a copy of her #1 Bestselling book!)

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

Stoddard, Are you the only one in America that is not aware of factcheck's connections to Obama through the Annenberg foundation? It's great when one is the champ in ones own mind. Better polish up your mirror, your view of yourself is getting fuzzy. BwaaHaahaa.

jk 4 years, 9 months ago

seeuski,What poor Tiger isn't gonna make the cut? That damn Obama what has he done now?? Sorry this one has deteriorated enough I thought I could get away with it.

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 9 months ago

I believe that Factcheck.org (as stated on their website) is as non-partisan as the 1773 Club Jennifer Schubert-Akin states in this thread:

"Schubert-Akin is a former chairwoman of the Routt County Republican Central Committee. She said the appeal of the 1773 Club is that the group is nonpartisan, and she acknowledged that she has some disagreements with the Republican Party today."

Again- You can't prove anything nor has ANYONE been able to prove anything different, and neither did either of your links. Geller in the AtlasShrugs web link SAID they were examining jpegs and not actual documents to make comparisons. WND quoted the Hawaiian hospital wouldn't confirm OR deny Obama's birth without his permission. OMG! A hospital not disclosing personal records information! What a find!

I truly feel for people with your frame of mind. Everything is a conspiracy, even when having no facts and presented with facts that dispute your conspiracy. I can imagine you as the guy in "Revenge of the Nerds" looking out his door's mailslot when Booger (Curtis Armstrong) is out looking for a place to live.

Booger: [rings door buzzer] Mr Stewart?: [mail flap opens, revealing a pair of crazed eyes] Who's there? Booger: [pauses] Ahhh, is... Mr Stewart?: What do you want? Booger: Is this the Stewart residence? Mr Stewart?: Why are you here? Booger: Ahh, I've come about the roo... Mr Stewart?: WHAT DO YOU WANT? Booger: I've come about the roo... Mr Stewart?: Don't have, no way! Booger: I - I, uh, do you have a room for rent? Mr Stewart?: Not for rent! Booger: I thought it was for rent! Mr Stewart?: F**k off! [mail flap closes]

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

Why so defensive? Just a fact that factcheck spends all of its time defending Obama. Did you read the Saul Alinsky book or something? Win by diversion. Or, are you endorsing the 1773 club? I guess like always, you go both ways. Bwaahaa.

Matthew Stoddard 4 years, 9 months ago

Factcheck defends the facts presented. I've never heard of Saul Alinsky. What was diverted? I don't endorse anything that says it's non-partisan and Conservative/Liberal in the same sentence and I go my own way, thank you.

I'm only pointing out that your paranoia is out to get you!