Soroco High School freshman Lauryn Bruggink tries to flip Rangely's Chance Peters in the third-place match of Saturday's Class 2A Western Slope League wrestling tournament. Bruggink won the match. She became the first girl ranked in Colorado's On the Mat rankings last week, filing in at No. 11 in the Class 2A 103-pound division.

Photo by Joel Reichenberger

Female wrestler breaks into the boys club

Soroco freshman Bruggink fights odds to make wrestling history

Soroco wrestling, 2008-09

• Dec. 6 at Middle Park
  • Dec. 13 at Delta
  • Dec. 19 at Hayden
  • Dec. 20 at West Grand
  • 9 a.m. Jan. 10 at Paonia
  • Jan. 17 at Rangely
  • Jan. 24 at League Tournament at West Grand
  • Feb. 13-14 at Regional at Grand Junction
  • Feb. 19-20 at State Denver

photo

Soroco High School assistant wrestling coach Travis Bruggink tries to get a point across to his daughter, Lauryn Bruggink, who was wrestling Saturday for third place in the Class 2A Western Slope League tournament in Kremmling. Travis Bruggink initially was opposed to his daughter taking up the sport, but with his coaching help, she has become one of the top-ranked 103-pound wrestlers in Colorado.

photo

Soroco High School freshman Lauryn Bruggink tries to roll Rangely's Chance Peters to his back in the third-place match of Saturday's Class 2A Western Slope League wrestling tournament. Bruggink won the match.

— Lauryn Bruggink didn't stop bouncing and swaying, dancing to the music piping through her iPod, on Saturday in the 10 minutes leading up to her final match in the Western Slope League wrestling tournament.

She didn't slow down while exchanging a quick handshake with her opponent, Rangely's Chance Peters, and she didn't stop as she strapped on her headgear and pulled up her singlet.

She didn't stop moving for the next six minutes either, burying Peters under an avalanche of first-round points to win the match and take third place in the league.

Bruggink hasn't stopped moving all season - and her success has the Soroco High School freshman poised to kick down the door of the Colorado wrestling establishment.

In the blood

Bruggink was so young when she started wrestling that she can't recall her first time on the mat. Her father, a Soroco assistant coach, can.

"I tried to steer her away," Travis Bruggink said about his youngest daughter. "The first year she wrestled in Peewees, I didn't teach her much. I thought if she got beat up a little, she wouldn't want to do it any more."

Fast-forward a decade and the failure of that scheme is evident.

Travis sat on the side of the mat Saturday and went through a range of emotions while trying to coach. A two-time high school wrestling state champion himself, he mixed advice with encouragement as he tried to slow his own racing heart.

"I always get nervous when she's on the mat," he said. "My son showed a lot of natural ability and talent at an early age, but his heart wasn't in it. My daughter, on the other hand :"

Lauryn stuck with wrestling into junior high and, after waffling, decided last spring to try the sport in high school.

The decision at first surprised her mother, Geri Bruggink, but it eventually became clear Lauryn was as influenced by a supportive mother as she was a wrestling-crazed father.

Lauryn found something to believe in after traveling to a youth girls wrestling tournament - not sanctioned by the Colorado High School Activities Association - last spring. Then she found something to dream about after traveling for a tour of the United States Olympic Center in Colorado Springs.

"We got to the gym where the women's wrestling team was training, and I watched her eyes get bigger and bigger," Geri said. "I could see she just thought, 'I want to play.'"

Muscling up

Lauryn Bruggink became the first girl to be ranked in the statewide On the Mat rankings last week, as Class 2A's No. 11 103-pound wrestler.

Later this year, she could become the first girl to win a CHSAA state tournament match, according to Tim Yount, of On the Mat.

"But I'm just trying to get to February," Lauryn said, referring to next month's regional wrestling tournament in Palisade. "After that, I want to see where high school takes me."

Lauryn could punch a ticket to Denver for state with a top-four finish at regionals. If her results from Saturday are any indication, she could be in for a trip to the Front Range.

She won three of her four matches and still hasn't forgiven herself for letting the fourth slip away. She lost an early lead, lost her positioning and was pinned.

"When she gets out of position is when she gets in trouble," Soroco wrestling coach Jay Whaley said.

Positioning is important for Lauryn, as she's always in danger of being out-muscled.

"I have to work around that," she said. "I have to be quicker, I have to wrestle smarter, and I can't be as sloppy."

Quick moves and an aggressive approach paid off later in the day. She pinned one opponent, then racked up an 11-4 lead against Peters with a couple quick takedowns and near-falls.

"She's tough," Rangely coach Jeff LeBleu said. "She's pretty strong for a girl, but she's also got great technique. That's where she's beating us."

He should know. His athletes are 0-4 against Bruggink this season. They'll likely get another crack at her at regionals. Bruggink is ranked third in that tournament's field.

Something to strive for

If it were all to fall together - a trip to state and at least one victory there - it would be historic and significant not only for Colorado and Soroco, but also for the entire Bruggink family.

"I'd cry," her mother said. "I know the sacrifices she's made and how difficult this road has been."

Lauryn's dad was careful not to push.

"I would like that to be her dream, not mine," he said. "She can do it. That's one of the goals we set this year, to make it to state."

It's an idea Lauryn said dances inside her mind the same way she waltzes around a wrestling mat.

"I think about it a lot - a lot more than most girls probably do," she said. "State would be the icing on the cake. I wouldn't necessarily want to set my goals that short, but winning at state would be amazing."

Comments

playa46 5 years, 5 months ago

Abby- None of us disagree with letting Lauryn go to state. We simply wanted people to think on what would happen to someone's self esteem. Read a bit.

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 6 months ago

What's left to say to a playa(er) who thinks equality is good for girls and should be promoted around the globe? Unless of course it could potentially hurt somebody's feelings and subject them to teasing at lunch from the "rough rowdy boys in SSHS". I'm gonna venture a guess and speculate that you have never been out of Routt County have you?

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 6 months ago

Thank you challange1. You have said all that needs to be said.

Angie Robinson 5 years, 6 months ago

Go Lauryn Go! Love seeing a girl hold her own against boys! All the Way to State!

Duke_bets 5 years, 6 months ago

Boys are taught and trained at a very young age not to abuse women. Now we are letting girls onto the boys wrestling team. Being that Soroco doesn't have boys volleyball, maybe Ryan Tibbets and Anderson should try out for the girls volleyball team. With their size, they could win Soroco a state title. I bet that wouldn't fly through the state athletic commission.

Girls wrestle girls in the Olympics and college. That makes sense. I don't know of a single guy back on our wrestling team that would have taken the match. In fact, there was a recent story on ESPN about a high school girl wrestler on the East Coast. Her record was something like 10-1. Her 10 wins were all forfeits because the majority of coaches wouldn't let their boys wrestle her. Her 1 loss was against another girl.

localboy17 5 years, 6 months ago

Duke, you make a very viable point. Title IV was made so there would be equality in the number of sports played, but what it doesn't bring up is that girl can play football, she can wrestle, she can play high school hockey i think. But can boys plan any of the girls sports? No. It puts guys in a very vulnerable position because although a strong and independent woman is a okay with everyone (we are not talking in al "ol boys club") it pushes guys to either forfiet and lose tournaments or beat up on a girl. The third alternative is that the boy could fight and lose, but in the vulnerable state that very self concious high schoolers are already in, this opens a big door for scrutiny. Not to mention that, but if the girls pursue their dreams in this sport, they are forced to compete against other girls, and in Duke's example, it obvisouly didn't prepare her for her future competition. I feel like sometimes in political settings we try so hard not to step on toes, that we end up taking the phrase "equality" a little too far.

aichempty 5 years, 6 months ago

Has this woman's opponent won any other matches against other males?

Success in a wrestling match requires a lot of upper-body strength. He looks pretty skinny in the photograph.

Duke_bets 5 years, 6 months ago

localboy - Very nice addition to my post. Kids in high school are extremely self conscious. How about the boys that get beat by her? How's the lunch room conversation for him the next day? That is most likely verbal abuse that no school aged child should have to withstand.

Nothing against Lauryn, but I don't agree with that type of equality.

playa46 5 years, 6 months ago

Aich- Let's not forget skill :)

Duke- I very much agree with you. While equality is important when gender comes up, it is also important when and where. There is nothing wrong with a woman being able to compete in sports, nothing wrong at all. But loosing to a girl in a competition in strength is very, very embarrassing. High School friends would never let me down on that one.

bubba 5 years, 6 months ago

Good post Mike.

If these boys are so fragile that they can't stand the thought of losing to a girl, they have two choices:

1) get better 2) only participate in sports where 'everyone is a winner.' Perhaps their parents can also enroll them in one of those schools that gives out hugs instead of grades, so they don't have to learn about failure that way either.

nmypinon 5 years, 6 months ago

Nice post Mike!!! I think it is awesome she has stayed with this sport. There have been a few other girls here that wrestled & done a good job, just did not stay with the sport.

localboy17 5 years, 6 months ago

Not to mention not being let alone about that, but depending on the mental situation that the boy is in prior to the loss, that situation could be a really bad one.

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 6 months ago

When I was in Jr. High School I wrestled against her dad Travis several times. He was good:.really good. I never beat him. Never even came close. In fact by the time he was in High School in the early 1980's there were very few wrestlers in the state who could compete with him. If memory serves me, he ran the table pinning everyone he faced on the way to a State Championship when he was a senior. Travis Bruggink is one of the best wrestlers ever to come out of Soroco High School, which can practically build its own Wrestling Hall of Fame (maybe not as big or cool as Hayden's though). He was a great competitor and a good guy. So I'm glad to see his kids are doing well too. It is great to read about Lauryn and her success and I will be following her, along with the other wrestlers from Soroco and Hayden in hopes for their success.

Now, as far as you other knuckle draggin:..(thugs would imply some measure of toughness, so no.):.(pansies. Seems accurate yet too soft even.) Yes! As for you other knuckle draggin Nancy Boy Pansies. You now live in the 21st Century. There have been girls competing with boys for many, many years in wrestling, football, basketball: Please tell me you and other fathers within the sphere of Lauryn Bruggink's influence and control have not tied their entire self esteem to their ability to beat her in wrestling. Please tell me the boys in her weight class across the state are emotionally stable enough, that should they lose to her on the mat, will not seek revenge in the realm of serial killing, Dungeons and Dragons or habitual homelessness. Please tell me you have not raised your sons to be so weak and closed minded that they will grow to become fools. Your sons will soon be men and they will be competing with women for scholarships, college entry and jobs. If you cannot or will not expect your sons to give 100% effort against a girl on the wrestling mat, how will you expect a 100% effort in a job interview against a woman?

For now, I wish Lauryn and all the other Soroco and especially Hayden Wrestlers (and Basketball Players) the best of luck. Ain't nothing like goin to State!!! Go Tigers!!!

Terry Noble 5 years, 6 months ago

Wrong, wrong, WRONG... It's one thing to give women equality in the work force and pay scale but sports is entirely another thing. If God wanted us totally equal He would have created us that way. What would you want next? For men to get pregnant? Doesn't anyone see this as a legal groping contest, come on get real. Sounds like just another excuse to promote steroids to me! Wrong, wrong, Wrong!!!!!

localboy17 5 years, 6 months ago

Steamboatdog, you are incredibly mistaken if you think women are equal in the work force. THe average woman, compared to the average man both with the exact same qualifications makes 38,000 less. Equal? Not so my friend. God didn't create us, maybe the spirit, but evolution is the one. Having a girl wrestle isn't promoting steriods. That makes little to no sense. I do feel that equality has been taken too far, what if a guy wanted to be like the guys that played beach volleyball in the summer olympics. Could he play volleyball for the high school team. Nope. Just saying, equal in this case is giving women more rights and taking away from the rights of men, to compete against other men and not be forced by themselves or their coach to walk away from a match because it is a girl.

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 6 months ago

localboy,

Hmmm, well. I don't even know how to respond to your post. Have you been drinking? If I'm reading you correctly...no, I'm not even gonna try.

playa46 5 years, 6 months ago

Mike- None of us say that girls can be tougher than boys, you heard us wrong. We just want you to consider what will happen to the boy the next day at lunch? Nothing pretty.

Why don't we just let boys compete in volleyball? I am sure people will have something to say about that. There is nothing wrong with the woman, just the self-esteem issue.

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 6 months ago

Playa(er)46,

I never said one thing about boys being tougher then girls. It is not even relevant to the issue. For your information, boys all over the country are playing volleyball in what traditionally were girls teams. Many women's groups railed against this because they are more interested in inclusion rather than equality. Ultimately they lost and now boys can play volleyball, lacrosse, field hockey and other sports where teams are not fielded for boys. But why the hell would you want to when you can play football?

This self esteem issue is totally bunk. Really. Total BS. I was involved with a wrestling program in California where this kid I was mentoring wrestled. About 20% of the wrestlers were girls. Our team was coached to get out there and give 100% regardless of who their opponent was. For six minutes gender didn't matter because it didn't exist. We had one of the best teams in Northern California. We had many champion wrestlers including three girls. No boy that I know of ever had a problem wrestling with or losing to a girl. No boy ever shot up his school, started smoking the crack cocaine or started attending Star Trek conventions over losing to a girl. Besides, you can't put the perceived self esteem issues of high school boys on the shoulders of a 14 year old girl. That would most likely be a problem of poor parenting. In fact, the only people I ever knew to have a problem with their boys wrestling girls were the "Mommy's" of boys who never won a match to begin with. It was funny to hear a grown woman yell at the teenage girl who just pushed her boys record to 0-14. It was sad and pathetic to see the look on her sons face, knowing that his issues had little to do with his wrestling skills and more to do with the antics of his wack-a-doo mother.

This is all so far beside the point. Lauryn Bruggink is one of your girls competing in one of your schools. One would think you would be happy for her, her family and team. If that kid from Rangely can't beat her and cry's himself into fits in the school cafeteria at lunch the next day, SO WHAT?? Rangley SUCKS anyways!! Lauryn knows or will soon find out that there is some senior from Fowler, Ridgeway or Nucla who isn't going to let a simple thing like her being a girl stop him from winning a state championship. He's waiting to squeeze the life right out of her to get a pin.

Unless:.she gets him first.

playa46 5 years, 5 months ago

Sorry Geri, not me.

You don't know anything about me, yet you make many claims. Why, might I ask?

playa46 5 years, 6 months ago

Wow Mike, calm down-

First this is Steamboat Springs, things here are different than your school, I should know. Lemme tell ya, there is a lot of self-esteem issues in this school. Now, you are putting words in my mouth I never said. I think it is great that we have women's wrestling, but you think I hate it. I also think the family should be very proud and should encourage her to do more.

Now, your argument saying "If that kid from Rangely can't beat her and cry's himself into fits in the school cafeteria at lunch the next day, so what?? Rangley SUCKS anyways!!", made me laugh real hard. You sound like the "I am right, you are wrong, get over it" kinda person. You have no sympathy for the looser, which in a way, is kind of sad.

Again, back to my self esteem thing said above. If you knew any of the rough rowdy boys in SSHS, you would understand that being picked on because you lost to a girl would never end. (Again, women doing whatever they want is great).

What I really wanted you to think about, is the other side of the topic. I think the equality is very good and should be promoted around the globe.

Have a nice day.....

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 6 months ago

"...rough rowdy boys in SSHS..."(?) Ok, you're kidding right?

playa46 5 years, 6 months ago

It's an expression dude... What, run out of things to say?

playa46 5 years, 6 months ago

Lol, oh ya Mike, I suppose England and Scotland and Mexico don't count, as well as L.A. and the apple.

challange1 5 years, 6 months ago

I would just like to say that I have watched this girl wrestle since peewees. And I have to say that this girl probably has more heart and determination than half the boys that she is out there wrestling. I think that maybe some of you need to consider all the hard work that this girl has done to get to where she is right now. I don't care about what any of the rest of you think but I am damn proud of her. Maybe if the boys that are losing to her are having such a hard time with it maybe they need to find themselves a different sport. I just think that we need to focus on the accomplishments of this young lady and not focus on how shallow some people can actually be.

challange1 5 years, 6 months ago

Last I looked equality meant the quality or state of being equal. I don't beleive it means as long as the girls play with the girls and the boys play with the boys they are equal.

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 6 months ago

(cont:) When adolescents participate in sports, this action builds their character through hard work, determination, and perseverance in preparation for a future facing people of all races, genders, ages, colors and opinions. Many of whom didn't learn these virtues themselves and are therefore stuck in their not so positive adolescent behavioral patterns throughout their adulthood, these of which include beliefs in chauvinistic separatism masqueraded as male chivalry and nobility. A forfeit is surrender a loss. It is seen as a desperate choice in a desperate situation. The loss, nonetheless, is in the eyes of the beholder and on paper, because in sports the score is kept. Wrestling is a sport, and I concede that there are poor sports in this sport, as there have been quite a few testosterone spills on the mat indeed. Does forfeiture build good sound character? If anything these chauvinistic beliefs gives a false sense of pride. Yes, an ego is a terrible thing to lose; however, a reputation as a proud bigamist will last forever for many of the antagonistic pretenders out there. These types of people will never be contenders! A woman doesn't need one or even two testicles to have a backbone. By all appearances, some of you seem to be missing all these anatomical parts. If you truly are using your middle leg to prop up your stance, your daddy didn't tell you: "Boys are not supposed to cry (foul)". What kind of real man are you or are you growing up to be? Dude: Are you truly worthy of your cause? "What Lies Behind Us and What Lies Before Us Are Tiny Matters Compared to What Lies Within Us." Good luck to the dudes (guys and gals) who must endure the virtues of growing up in an ever changing world. I hope you will learn that "getting up after being knocked down" is a respected virtue in itself. Don't give up! Don't back down! Learn to respect your, as well as those of others: differences, strengths and dreams. Being of sound body, mind and spirit can be self-taught through the many choices you make along life's journey. "What doesn't break you will make you stronger." As Lauryn says: "It's all in prospective."
Overcoming obstacles is a way of life. Know when to pick a fight: and when to walk away. This is the sign of true maturity and ultimate humility. The choice is yours. "Seize the moment: for only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." At least you won't forget her name anytime soon, and I am sure she will give you good reason to remember her name in the future. I regret that I cannot say the same about some of you, specifically because some of you chose to live life in anonymity when it comes to your real feminine side: I mean feelings.

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 6 months ago

Mike,

Lauryn loved your posts and those of others. "No harm done," she'd say with a giggle.

Fortunately, the women-in-men's-sports haters only fired her up more! Duh... silly boys.

Geri

localboy17 5 years, 6 months ago

Nobody is taking away from the accomplishments of the girl, what we are saying is that maybe it is a little screwed up that she is wrestling with the boys. Equality in mind, boys should wrestle boys, and girls should wrestle girls. There, thats equal. She sounds like a great wrestler, and I am not saying that she can't compete with the boys, I am just stating my opinion in saying that maybe she shouldn't be out there with the boys.

bubba 5 years, 6 months ago

Local boy, one doesn't have to look too far back in our history to find a precedent that 'separate but equal' is not 'equal.'

Tyco 5 years, 6 months ago

So it seems that most of the blogs on here have been about equality. There should be equality everywhere, but what most people seem not to notice is that there is never enough equality everywhere. But that is really besides the point. The point here is a young lady that has proven herself as a good wrestler!

What (localboy17 and playa46) you seem to be not catching on to here is this girl has worked her way to where she is now. She doesn't see wrestling as a way to make a place for women in the sport, she is wrestling because it is something she loves to do. This girl has worked her butt off to be one amoung the guys, not just one of the guys. She isn't trying to prove herself as a female in a male sport, she is just trying to prove herself as a wreslter (because she enjoys the sport). Your missing the point when you feel that these boys are being ridiculed. Many of them have enough self-esteem and enough spirit to deal with wrestling a girl (if they didn't they shouldn't be in a single person sport). Steamboat schools are different than the smaller schools where we have a limited number of sports to chose from. Yet, Lauryn chose to wrestle (even with the odds against her, and family not really wanting her to) and she has proven herself to all of us.

Mike, Bubba, and Challenge1 all see the spirit in this girl, they see that they boys she wrestles don't have a problem wrestling this girl (no self-esteem issues nor are they worried about being picked on for being beat by a girl). Off the mats they are all good friends, but when its time to wrestle each other they are competetors. There is no bad blood between them. Go to a few matches to see my point.

Lauryn grew up wrestling most of these boys since pee-wee's and they have all learned that this is not a groping match, its a match of skills, strength, speed, and outmanuvering your opponent. So instead of focusing on the equality of girls being in wrestling, and the self-esteem issues the boys would have (many don't), focus on her accomplishments, her spirit, and her skills in the sport. I enjoy watching this girl put her heart out there each time she wrestles, because she is doing it for herself and her enjoyment and nothing else. I am proud of this girl and I am proud to call her my little sis. Keep it up and never lose heart. GOOD LUCK at Regionals!!!

Scott Wedel 5 years, 6 months ago

The issue is equality of opportunity. There is no Soroco girl's wrestling team and even if there was one then it is still next to impossible to find any other teams to have meets. If she wants to wrestle then she has to join the school's only wrestling team. Just like Steamboat Winter Sports Club couldn't prohibit women from ski jumping. It is simply no longer legal to say "This sport is for boys only".

It is helpful to be tall when playing basketball. When a short person excels then we don't say why is he competing against the tall players, put him in a short person's league.

As for girls and boys competing together, they do that constantly in academic competitions. What should we do about the boys that lose to a girl in a math or science competition? Should we say that hurts the boys' egos and make a separate competition for girls? Or how about separate competitions for Asians, Blacks, Mexicans, Caucasian and so on? It could be tough for an Asian to lose to a Caucasian so should we segregate ourselves to prevent hurt feelings? When there are competitions there are going to be winners and losers. And if someone feels they are of a group that is superior to another group, but loses to someone of a that group then that person should quit or grow up.

As for volleyball, according to their website, there is a Colorado high school boy's volleyball association with over 30 teams. So while maybe a boy could join the girl's team if the school didn't have a boy's team, presumably at the regional and state tournaments the organizers can enforce that there are then boy's teams and there are girl's teams.

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 6 months ago

SOROCO is not different from any other school when it comes to adolescent behavior. Boys will be boys:. And girls will be girls. Unfortunately, even some teachers (non- gender specific) should be more adult than they truly are, especially those who have no clear insight to the understanding of "Bullying" themselves. Patterns repeat themselves, even through adulthood, and all should take a careful look at themselves, what they say, and how they say it. Do you "bully" because you were bullied?" Some seem to find great "sport" with this. It is not great role modeling and is quite embarrassing, even if those who unconscientiously do it have not quite realized it. I am glad my daughter has recognized your weaknesses and will not bring herself down to these immature levels. However, this blog isn't really about Lauryn or girls vs. boys, nor equality. It is about RESPECT or lack thereof. It is about "bulling" at the lunch table, in the locker room, and on the bus ride home: or even in the classroom, hallway and at home. The questions you should be really asking is yourself is: "Would I play it safe by not putting a target on my back and follow-in "bullying" the kid myself along with those who I think are my really cool friends?" "Would I simply choose to ignore the situation and to just walk away?" Or, "Would I stick up for the "target" for whatever reason he is being taunted?" Blogging anonymously leads me to think: that while you may want respect, you may not be giving it. "Don't be afraid : the loser of the wrestling match wasn't!"
To point out that the "male loser" is the "only one" taking a lot of crap, let me console you as a mother does. Lauryn has had more than her "fair-share" of relentless teasing because of her choice to pursue the sport she loves, and that which is not widely accepted; but sometimes referred to as a contest of strength or a "groping contest". The opinion of wrestling being a competition of strength is literally foolish. Lauryn is a female, wrestles like an adolescent girl, and is not as strong as the adolescent boys. She has to wrestle smarter! Ouch: I know that hurt someone's feelers. The former thought is very much a hormonal adolescent and unnecessarily disgusting thought for any man to think. Don't come to the Volleyball matches where our females are required to wear a uniform barely long enough to cover the subject, yet short enough for your overactive perverted imagination to go with young girls. Pervs are not welcome. (cont:)

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 6 months ago

(cont:) Many young, old, skinny, fat, male, female, jock, nerd, and otherwise ignorant people (did I leave anyone out: if so, a compassionate "Sorry!") have felt compelled to ask Lauryn: "Why do you do this to yourself?" Quite honestly, if she had to explain, you just wouldn't understand. "It is: what it is!" Lauryn does not have a choice of a separate girl's high school wrestling program, where she can train every day in a sport she truly loves and is successfully competitive in. She would greatly appreciate being on a girl's high school wrestling team. Since that is not possible here, she will use what she can: just like the other guys and gals here and in the rest of the state of Colorado can and will chose to do: in order to train on a daily basis in preparation for her future. This platform may enable her for a scholarship on a women's college wrestling team or a position on USA Women's team. It will open doors, many of which can only be opened through her success, not her strength, in wrestling: right here and right now. Or she may chose to later follow another pursuit of happiness Several of the high school wrestling teams would love to have her on their team. Many of the guys she has wrestled, she has done so since first grade in the PeeWee wrestling program. So: for the last 9 years, it is not like these guys didn't learn that in "wrestling" there is only one winner and one loser - regardless of gender, race, color, and/or age. Losers don't want your pity, and winners don't need your acceptance. Lauryn has a leadership quality that crosses many platforms - academically, as well as, the many sports she does participate in. Leadership is strength. Does this bring out inferiorities: opinions? Everyone has an (AH) Achilles Heel! No one is infallible. As for the guys she has wrestled and their team mates, their respect is evident each time they "cheer" her on during a match at each tournament; and when you see them shake hands in the stands while they chill and chat about their mutual love for wrestling and other adolescent stuff. (cont:)

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 6 months ago

Ms. Bruggink,

There doesn't seem to be much more to say. It is evident by the words in your post and in the article that you are very proud of your daughter Lauryn. For my part, I am sorry to have engaged in petty jousting over the role of boys and girls in sports. It seems now that I have contributed to trivializing your daughter and her accomplishments. Of course I would never hope that any boy would be hurt, embarrassed or teased after wrestling a girl. My remarks were supposed to have been tongue in cheek and I did not intentionally single out the young man from Rangely.

There are some very nice posts associated with this terrific story especially the four immediately preceding yours, and I am still proud to come from a place where good people will stand up for their own.

Good luck to Lauryn and the rest of your family.

Mike Coziahr Training Academy/ Stadium Operations Director Pensacola Pelicans Professional Baseball

Duke_bets 5 years, 6 months ago

This could be an endless argument. 'Women in men's sport'........C'mon. If you all want equality, let's have Tibbetts and Anderson on the girls volleyball team. That would not be allowed, it's the same thing.

What happens when a male wrestler puts a female wrestler into a reverse half accompanied by a honeymooner. That would have women literally running down on the mat to spot it. Add in a chin to the sternum which typically goes with that move and assault charges could possibly be filed. How about a high crotch take down with a tea cup to end it? Do the female wrestlers weigh in with everybody else. Nope. Do the same referees weigh them in? Nope.

That's why women wrestle women on every level other than low level high schools. And, your top wrestlers in the state would forfeit if they were matched against a female. Anyway, they should forfeit because it would truly be a demeaning win.

Any comments on that Geri?

Once again, good job Lauryn. Her accomplishments have absolutely nothing to do with these arguments.

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 6 months ago

We have seen Tibbetts and Anderson play volleyball during Homecoming... sorry it wasn't pretty!

I'm sorry you have such little faith in our top wrestlers in the state. Not all of them share or care what any of us think.

You've truly given meaning to the word demeaning.

I humbly bow to your masculinity.

Scott Wedel 5 years, 6 months ago

Leave it to Duke_Bets to demonstrate that ignorance exists despite efforts to educate.

The boys probably could play on the girl's volleyball until regionals or state where the boys would have to be on a boy's team and there are Colorado boys high school volleyball. BTW, volleyball clothes tend to be tight on men and women because loose clothing touching the net or the ball can cost the team a point.

If wrestling is sexual or erotic then what happens if a gay boy becomes a wrestler? Do all of his male opponents forfeit, but he could wrestle girls? It is absurd. Wrestling is not about sex between two boys when boys wrestle each other. Nor it is about sex when a girl and a boy are wrestling.

And it appears that the coaches are wrestlers understand that because the article says she had four matches and apparently no forfeits at a recent meet.

And in competition there is no such thing as a demeaning win. The opponent is competing on the hope of winning or at least improving. I suspect that any boy wrestler that enjoys the sport appreciates wrestling against Lauryn because she shows the importance of good technique. And a truly top wrestler might want to see if he can beat her by superior technique instead of relying upon strength.

What there is in competition is respect for your opponent and the sport. Looks like the kids are alright. Some adults appear to have issues.

localboy17 5 years, 6 months ago

I am not saying that the sport should be for boys only, or that she hasn't worked her butt off, what I am saying is that like having a men and women's soccer team, they should have the same. It's fair. And to whomever said, separate but equal isn't equal. I agree, but how would you feel about putting a girl into a sport that she would get killed in. Say like a girl that wanted to play football. Physiologically, boys have denser, stronger skeletal muscle and the girl would be at a great disadvantage. Would you see it being fair if the girl sat out all year because she was getting injured every time on the field?

playa46 5 years, 6 months ago

Wow Tyco, you have no idea what I am talking about, do you?

This has nothing to do with equality, but the fact that after the match, a kid's self esteem rolls down the hill. Friends don't make it any better.

This has nothing to do with Laura, save the article. She should be proud in what she is doing, it is true, there is no team for women in wrestling where she is from. Her family should feel the same way as well.

I am not picking a side, I am trying to see your thoughts on the fact that bullying attacks hard if you feed it and nurture it. How about a comment on that one, instead of getting your emotions tied into the subject?

Tyco 5 years, 6 months ago

Emotions aside Playa46, (as I have had to put my emotions aside, I am not here to have a debate with anyone)even with her being my sister I don't feel that your grasping the point. I did get where you were coming from on the self-esteem issues, many teenagers have them. But what you seemed to have missed in my above post is that these boys are not suffering from self-esteem issues (so no need to continue with the same point). Go to a match, watch these boys wrestler her. If they put up a good match against her they are proud of themselves even if they lose to her. They see Lauryn (not Laura) as a good competitor and a good wrestler to improve their skills when matched up.

I was one of those kids in high school that played basketball, given my size of 5 feet even, and would play my heart out even if I got picked on the next day at the lunch table for being such a small player and for literally being thrown around on the court. The maturity that almost all of these boys have is beyond what your comprehending. These boys don't see that losing to Lauryn is any different than losing to another guy. Most of the boys in wrestling don't see a girl wrestler as a blow to the ego, but rather a chance to become a better wrestler (win or lose), and to improve. Re-read the story here and realize that not everyone suffers from low self-esteem and the ones that do don't last long in the sport of wrestling ( a single loss to another guy can do just as much damage as a loss to a female).

I don't see the point of debates on here anymore of equality, self-esteem, or of boys and girls being in sports not originally created for that gender. These debates are ridiculous, and have no more meaning than an excuse for something that someone can't comprehend. So I ask those of you who feel that debating these topics (which weren't the point of the story) to go to Regionals and watch a few matches. Open your eyes to the possiblities that the world doesn't have to be just black and white, and see for yourselves that these wrestlers are there to have fun in the sport they love, gender aside.

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 6 months ago

Tyco,

I really wish I could come home for the regional's. The last great wrestling tournament I went to was the District tournament in Eagle Valley (1983). We won the district that year. Your Dad won the 126 lb. weight class for Soroco beating my friend Darren Shook from Hayden in what turned out to be a precursor to the State Championship match in Denver the next weekend. Travis pinned Darren in the first period of that match. There is a picture of Travis and Darren on the state tournament podium in my yearbook. Hard to believe that was 24 years ago:

I agree that there is no need for further debate. Perhaps there was no need for debate to begin with. Hayden and Soroco High Schools have a number of wrestlers, including Lauryn who have a great chance to be very competitive in the upcoming regional and state tournaments. Hayden's girls basketball team is as good as it has ever been. From 1,500 miles away all I can do is wait for the results to come out in the paper (on-line). How cool would it be for Lauryn, as a freshman to win the regional tournament and then go on to win a couple of matches and place in state? How cool would it be if she won it all?

All other discussion and debate seems so trivial and is much like arguing with barking dogs:

Duke_bets 5 years, 6 months ago

Hey Wedel, your post is the only thing ignorant here. You have no clue what I was talking about. Most of your top wrestlers would forfeit..........That's not a joke because it happens all the time. They do that because some of the best moves can not be used on a girl, or shouldn't be used on a girl. Nothing to do with erotic fantasies Scott. Geez!

littleacres 5 years, 6 months ago

I agree Mike....It's funny how some people just want to complain and not let Lauryn be proud of what she has accomplished. Keep up the good work Lauryn!!

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 6 months ago

Mike,

You can listen LIVE on KRAI - Craig, CO radio station on the internet http://www.web-radio.fm/website.cfm?id=286 as they cover 2A Regionals and State Wrestling.

Geri

Wendy Palyo 5 years, 6 months ago

Lauryn is an awesome wrestler, not because she is a girl, but because she is a GOOD wrestler. If you have a problem with a girl being a wrestler, please come and watch this athlete compete! You will at lease come away with a new respect for all her hard work. She has not acheived her high ranking because of forfeitures by boys, but because of hard work and smart moves. After being around the Soroco Wrestling program for the last four years, I have seen alot of ups and downs. This year in paticular I have seen alot of respect and admiration toward Lauryn. Mostly by her opponents. They respect her for her ability, even when she defeats them. From my perspective, these boys who are defeated on the mat, are not defeated in spirit. This is very evident by the cheering and the friendliness shown at the Tournaments off the mat. It sounds like those of you who do not know Lauryn or Wrestling, need to come and experience some first hand wrestling excitement! GO LAURYN! We are behind you all the way!

Loren Kirby 5 years, 6 months ago

Lauryn, I will be cheering for you, and wish you all the luck at Regionals. Keep up the hard work and have fun. Geri, thanks for the link. I'll have to tune in and follow Soroco and Hayden at Regionals.

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 6 months ago

Currently Top State Ranked male Wrestlers at 103's that have wrested a girl (Lauryn ranked 12th) during the 2008 and 2009 CHSAA wrestling season.

2A #1 - Adam Ortivez, Laveta
#`12 -Chance Peters, Rangley

3A - #1 AJ Salazar Lake County #8 Garrett Barber - Bennett #10 -Trevor Larsen, Coal Ridge

4A - #2 - Tim Urenda, Pueblo South

nmypinon 5 years, 5 months ago

It does not matter what the sex, age ,or weight is, win or lose just have fun & get along. Several years ago my son lost to a girl. Was he hurt? NO! Instead he walked up to her & said "hey can you teach me that move"? Go Lauryn & SoRoCo

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 6 months ago

Loren Kirby...Loren Kirby....(?) No, could'nt be...

playa46 5 years, 6 months ago

Wow, Tyco and Mike are still missing my point.

I specifically stated that Lauryn should continue wrestling and challenging new people (even boys) everyday. Tyco simply ignored that part and simply said "Debates are bad!!!". Want me to hold your hand for you while you cry?

I want you to say something more on the self esteem part of this, provided you won't chicken out, instead of just avoiding it.

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 6 months ago

No playa(er), nobody missed your point. In your small mind you're set on a belief that the self esteem of boys is somehow effected by competing with and losing to girls. Never mind the fact that your beliefs and assumptions are completely without merit. Just like your boyfriend localboy up there who claims the really good wrestlers have/will forfeit their match's before wrestling a girl. He has no empirical data to support his claims or beliefs either. There is no debate because debating someone with no factual information is like...arguing with a barking dog. There is no point to it at all.

So why don't you and localboy return to your peer group made up of the, "rough rowdy boys in SSHS", and do whatever it is you boys do.

playa46 5 years, 6 months ago

Hahahahaha Mike..

You're a funny man. Too bad your logic doesn't live up.

"In your small mind you're set on a belief that the self esteem of boys is somehow effected by competing with and losing to girls."

Are you kidding me? Did you seriously just say that? Just like Tyco, you completely avoided what I have ben asking you guys to even consider thinking. No, you just put no thought into your post and simply assumed that I was having an affair with Localboy.

........Good One!

Ok, I am going to kill two birds with this stone: yes, self esteem is destroyed when a guy looses to a girl in something people infer "a guy will normally win." And what do self esteem issues lead to? I beat you can guess. If localboy and I have no "data", I would like to see yours. However, I see your "data" as "I am right you are wrong playa(er)!!"

As for the rowdy boys in SSHS, tell me, do you right now go to SSHS? Didn't think so.

Close-minded assumer? I would say so.

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 6 months ago

Yes, that is Loren Kirby. Lauryn is named after him.

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 5 months ago

Ok, playa46

You have established the fact that it really sucks to be a boy going to high school at SSHS, especially a boy with a low self esteem. In order to gain data from you, I will have ask: Are you a wrestler and have you ever wrestled a girl - win or loss? Since, I probably will not get an answer on the blog to that question, we can all only be assumers. I know that it is not fair to assume anything; however, we have little fact(s) to base our opinions.

Going without fact(s), we know that self esteem is a big issue that you have with yourself and or other low self esteemed boy(s). This painful process is an unfortunate, right-of-passage on to adulthood. These rowdy boys will seek out the weaker boys, regardless of the nature of their perceived weakness, and torment the hell out of them. Girls do it, too. It the human nature of the beast. Survival of the fittest.

The other unfortunate fact is this: Attacks of this nature have been and will continue until the end of time for our species, as well as those of others. Elk do it. Deer do it. Lions do it.... and it is a vicious cycle.

Heck, once they find out a guy is a virgin in middle school... or better yet, in high school, look out! But, can you honestly blame that on a girl?

Please... change schools or get home schooled, and lose the rowdy guys. You definitely need a new life! Professional counciling will help. But, first you have to start with yourself. Chin up. Move on.

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 5 months ago

Localboy,

Got your point too; however, in wrestling, there are strict weight classifications, unlike football, soccer or any other sport for that matter. Boys are just as likely to get hurt from other boys in their weight class. The referee and coaches are there to keep dangerous and potentially dangerous moves from causing injury. However... injuries do and will occur, and injuries are not gender biased. It is fact that girls are more flexible than boys and boys are stronger than girls. Lauryn knows that she can not compete at 112 lbs. They guys are too strong for her and out muscle her. Every participant who enters sports knows the inherent risk of physical damage that may be temporary or permanent, that is why insurance and waivers are signed before participation.
It is unfortunate that there is no longer a 98 lb weight class in High School wrestling. If there was a lot more freshman or skinny upper classmen that would have a better chance of winning, because they can and do give up a lot of weight, some as much as 30 pounds. Again they know the risk and they do not have to participate in tournaments... it is not required, unless of course they are looking to push themselves, physically and mentally for their own personal achievement and take a chance at garnering a medal.

Duke_bets 5 years, 5 months ago

Geri - There's very few, if any wrestlers in the entire nation that cut 30 pounds at the high school level in the year 2009. That happened a lot in the 70', 80's, and 90's, but not much at all in the past decade. So, that statement is not true at all. Regulations that came out in the late 90's vastly cut down on weight loss by high school wrestlers.

Now, let's compare forfeits to actual matches with a female involved. I'll let you do the research. The nationwide statistics will make a very valid point. One last question..........Would the current Soroco wrestling coaches have wrestled a girl in high school? They have a fairly biased opinion currently, but I'm betting they would still say no.

Routt_County_Guy 5 years, 5 months ago

duke you playa and local boy obviosly have been beaten up by a girl at a young age and probably had your lunch money taken from you . GET OVER IT

Duke_bets 5 years, 5 months ago

Last comments to all of you...........A vast majority of midwestern high schools require their male participants to forfeit. Look it up because it's true. You will all also note that the top wrestling programs in the nation are from the midwest. Also, there is something like 15 of the top 25 college wrestling programs out of the midwest. Check out the Big 10 if you don't believe me. So, those top schools truly do it right.........That is proven. Colorado is fairly open-minded and the quality of high school sports in Colorado proves that.

Here's a quote from a female athletic director in the midwest.."Putting girls on boys wrestling teams is not a step toward the liberation of women. It's a step back from equality for athletes of both sexes, and a giant step back from common sense." That's as true as it gets.

Also, why did Soroco's top wrestler from the past 3 seasons move South to wrestler his senior year? That really says something for the quality of Soroco's athletics and coaches.

I wish Lauryn the best and hope she makes it to the state, but I don't have to agree with a female on a boys team.

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 5 months ago

First, duke... You may address me as Mrs. Bruggink. We are not on a first name basis! You don't have face, Mr. AKA.

Look again: I didn't say that they all lost 30 pounds. I said some give up. The difference is for example our JV 103 is 88 pounds giving up 15 pounds to wrestle 103s. There are lighter weight wrestlers competing in 103s. Our 135 pounder has lost 30 pounds since football season.

In answer to your question: Coach Travis Bruggink is a 2 time state champion, amoungst other top finishes. And, "HELL YES," he said, "if she stood in my way to getting to State!"

I really don't care about your national stats, majority bull on forfeits or really anything else on any subject, specific or general. You are pretty lamely stuck in argument for argument sake... sad life dude. I realize brow beating is very much be your favorite sport; but, the majority have gotten very tired of it.

So keep digging up your bone. Pretty soon it will get small enough you'll choke on it or you'll forget where you put it.

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 5 months ago

You two hay seeds are dumb as a bag of hammers. Ms. Bruggink did not say anyone was losing 30 pounds to make the 105 weight class. She is saying that some kids wrestling at 105 pounds only weigh 75 or 80 pounds and are giving up that weight to bigger kids. Have you taken your S.A.T. yet? Might want to work on that reading and comprehension a little.

Now, I'm usually fairly confident in my own reading abilities and I'm about positive you want Ms. Bruggink to conduct research to disprove your ridicules claims. Sonny Jim that's not quite the way it works. Throughout this thread you and your boyfriend playa(er) of the dreaded, "rough and rowdy boys" of "SSHS" have made a number of unsubstantiated claims regarding the effects on self esteem of boys losing to girls in sports, and the correlation between actual wins/losses vs. forfeiture of matches. Since you two scientific genius's leveled these claims, the burden of proof falls on you. So here's the deal, you do a little investigation and learn some facts. Don't come back until you can prove what you're saying. In other words you have to cite your source(s). You just can't make it up as you go. No more bogus claims, no more "I heard it somewhere", no more "I think I read it someplace". Duke I've called your bet, now you have to show your cards.

Now to your question which is actually fair and legitimate. Years ago, depending on the age of local coaching staff, they probably did not wrestle against girls. I know I didn't. And I do imagine when that first girl took the mat it very hard for everyone, boys and girls alike. I have to be honest and say I would have hated to be that first boy to lose to a girl. But look at this way. In the 1950's and 60's, Black kids who were once barred from wrestling White kids faced the same dilemma. Times change, and in these two cases, for the betterment of everyone.

I am eagerly awaiting your findings.

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 5 months ago

Player... just like that. Really, someone tries to help and you slap your invisible cloak up. I have come to realize that, you really don't want to be known or for that matter help with your issue. You don't give anything when asked; so there for... you will get nothing in return. Nobody has time to play with you. Go play in duke's yard, he's got plenty of bones to share. If fact. he's got so many he probably won't notice any are missing, just be careful digging under his favorite rock! Your probably wondering which rock is his favorite. It's the one that stinks.

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 5 months ago

Obviously, your rock doesn't have good reception.

Iac left SOROCO to wrestle elsewhere, because administration did not hire a wrestling coach, therefore no team for his senior year.

You fault volunteer coaches with past top honors in high school wrestling who have stepped up last minute to save a tradition in South Routt. How local did you say you were? Doesn't matter, you don't have loyalty to your home team.

littleacres 5 years, 5 months ago

I wrestled for SOROCO when Dave Schmittel, Mark Rossi, And Travis Bruggink were coaches. Jay Whaley was a teammate of mine. With Jay and Travis Coaching now I am sure that they will Instill the same values that SOROCO wrestling has always been known for. That is Sportsmanship, Dedication, and Heart. How can you get on here and type about how a boy is going to deal with losing to a girl.(have you lost to a girl) It is not about that at all. Its about how a person who has tried their best and now is a state ranked WRESTLER! The point is that no matter who Lauryn comes up against in the coming weeks if they have half the coaches that SOROCO does then if she wins they will accept that and move on. They are not looking at Lauryn as an girl she is an OPPONANT Maybe some people that are commenting on this post watch wrestling on TV and have no idea what real wrestling is. Good luck Lauryn with you drive and determination and Jay and Travis coaching you will go far. And I am proud to put my name here. Delbert

playa46 5 years, 5 months ago

*Sigh, because it is obvious none of you close-minded morons are going to even understand what I am saying, this is my last post.

People, this has nothing to do with me, which you have all changed the subject into. This is about self esteem all over America, I simply wanted to get you people to think about both sides of this topic, but you simply refused and pathetically tried to change the topic in your favor.

-Have a nice day...

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 5 months ago

Nope playa(er), you've provided no proof to support your claim that there are issues "about self esteem all over america", as they relate to girls wrestling boys.

Please try again later.

Duke_bets 5 years, 5 months ago

This is truly my last post. My quotes are not made up and or my findings on the forfeits. My points about the midwest are not made up either. Watch the Big Ten Network some night. You'll see for yourself. And yes, Soroco's best wrestler of the past 3 years left to wrestle elsewhere. He played football elsewhere too. 8 man football and girls on the 6 man wrestling team is sad but true. I don't know Playa, but he makes more sense than all of the rest of you. Check out my quote once again from a female athletic director. That's as true as it gets. Think about it. Read it. That was my whole point from the beginning.

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 5 months ago

One quote? Anyway, the wrestling program at SOROCO is the only athletic program that has had kids participating at STATE since God knows when, consistently and EVERY YEAR! Duke, you should have folded along time ago. Your cards are marked.

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 5 months ago

Sorry duke, you're a looser too. Here's a couple of thoughts before you start losing real money playing poker. If you can't beat what you can see on the table you should fold, and if you get caught bluffing with absolutely nothing (as in this case), you'll never be able to do it again. My advice to you is to stay away from cards and to refrain from posting about subjects you know nothing about. This is the second article in a row you lost your whole stack with nothing. ":one smart cookie": you are not .

Straight flush of clubs to Lauryn Bruggink and the rest of the wrestlers of Soroco High School. Wait!! What the:? Four Big Aces for the Tigers? Are you kidding me? Hayden High School:Where Champions are made!!! ];^O HaHaHaHa: Hey??? Didn't they have a girl on their football team last year?

TWill 5 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the entertaining thread guys- this has been good. A few things though...

Duke- I understand your point entirely and agree with you. This is nothing against Lauryn whatsoever- the best to her. I'm sure she is one tough girl that could embarass plenty of the high school boys.

BUT, if we're going to talk about "Survival of the Fittest" (Geri) then one thing is for sure- Girls should not be wrestling boys at a varsity level. Wrestling is one of the physical sports sports (football, basketball, lacrosse, etc.) that, when played at a high level, are not even close to be considered co-ed or gender equal. If we were talking about the cross country team, fencing or some other non-contact sport, then things are different as far as gender equality is concerned. Not in this case though. We could then get into the quality of Colorado high school athletics that even allows this topic to even be a discussion, but that's another issue within itself.

Mike- you need to let go of the "Glory Days" from a tiny school over 25 years ago, stop being the same bully you were then and look at this from a somewhat objective point of view.

Playa- I get your point too (kind of) but you lost all credibility when you referred to kids in the Steamboat Springs (yes, Steamboat Springs) High School as being "rough and rowdy". Sorry, we're not buying that.

Thanks again everyone. This has been a very thought provoking topic with great commentary.

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 5 months ago

I've just one question twill; We have a girl who is strong enough and possesses the skill set necessary to be competitive wrestling against boys. Is it your contention that she be prohibited from doing so based solely on her gender?

This is not a new issue at all. Years ago this argument was about Blacks when the military, and then later when schools were integrated. To this day women in the work force are not always paid the same as their male counterparts for the same work. I think we want something better for our kids, boys and girls. All kidding aside, for me the only real important point of this whole thread is that YOU have a young lady in YOUR community who has an equal opportunity to achieve great things on her own merit. For every little girl in Routt County, Lauryn Bruggink should be a hero.

And just so you know, my "glory days" were not 25 years ago. They are today, when I read in the paper, from 1500 miles away about the accomplishments of the kids of those kids (now adults), who I went to school with and competed against.

Duke_bets 5 years, 5 months ago

How am I dissing Soroco? They have an 8 man football team and 6 kids on the boys wrestling team and one of those is a girl. That is a sad state of affairs. Not trying to be demeaning, but that is the truth. I also believe that they employ a full-time athletic director. What a waste of $$$?

TWill 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm not saying that she (or anyone for that matter) be prohibited from competing. The point is that if a girl can compete at a select level in a physical sport (in this case wrestling) with the boys, then either the standard of competition is well below average OR their have been circumstances (forfeitures from legitimate opponents) that affect the competitive balance.

I hope she meets up with a legit 103 pound state contender, and pins his a-s to the mat and (yes, Playa) she might even hurt his feelings a little bit. But I don't see that happening. Hopefully Lauryn proves me wrong.

Just like I don't see a female being a standout player (not a kicker) in football or any other sport of a phyiscal nature against post adolescent males. Sorry, its just biology.

Again- I don't want this to turn this into anti-opportunity or discriminatory issue. She has every right to participate if she has the ability and determination. But you have to be realistic too.

Duke_bets 5 years, 5 months ago

Mike - 'Looser' is spelled 'loser'. 'Looser' would be the opposite of tighter. That just made my day because you are just a name calling loser who is so closed minded that any point of view other than yours has to be wrong. Weren't you the one who brought up SAT scores? Good luck in the civilized world. Have you ever left Hayden or Oak Creek? That might be a wake up call for you.

And, by comparing this to blacks in the military truly shows that you have not understood one comment. Or have chosen to not comprehend one comment. Were black males joining the women's military? If so, that would be a similar argument.

Loren Kirby 5 years, 5 months ago

Twill, I don't total agree with you on your comments to Geri. Wrestling isn't all about being physical. A person that is all muscle and doesn't have the the moves down isn't not going to be very good wrestler. You take someone that is in good shape and works on their moves everyday will mop the mat up with that person. Let's take Travis for example, he is one of the best wrestlers that Soroco has ever had. He wasn't one of the best because he was the strongest, but because he was in good shape and knew his moves. When his opponents tried a move, he would out smart them with his moves. Lauryn is simular in this way. She is not the strongest in her weight class, but she uses her head. This is what allows her to compete with her opponents. Now for Duke, I to would have wrestled a girl if I had one for an opponent. She would have been in my way of what I wanted, and that would have been a win. In an earlier post you stated that the best wrestlers wouldn't be able to use their best moves. Would you please tell me more about these moves that can't be used? I can't come up with one? I've been out of wrestling now for awhile, so please let me in on these moves! As for you comments about the coaches, well Soroco is pretty darn lucky they have them. They came to the plate when there was no one else. Soroco should be proud of the coaches, Lauryn, and her teamates. With out them, there is no wrestling program. That would be a shame. Soroco used to be seen as one of the teams to beat at State, and it was a proud program. Hopefully this team will be the building blocks that brings this program back to that status. One last thing for you Duke and others, why do you hide behind a fake name? Hiding behind a fake name is like talking behind someones back. If you can't say it to one's face then don't say it at all. I know you are entitled to you opinion, but be a man or woman about it. As the old saying goes "If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen then get out of the kitchen"!

TWill 5 years, 5 months ago

I understand what you're saying, Loren, I have a wrestling background also. But if a 103 pound boy meets a 103 pound girl a few rounds into the tournament bracket- each contestant is presumably in good shape, have their skill sets and are roughly the same size (the whole idea of weight classes)- the boy is going to win many more times more than not.

Maybe girls should be able to wrestle down a weight class against boys to level the playing field a little bit. But that affects the competitive balance again. Unless you are able to have girls wrestling girls in respective weight classes, this is going to be issue. Especially as the opponents get more skilled the further you get into the state bracket.

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 5 months ago

Looser...Loser DOUGH!!!

"...The point is that if a girl can compete at a select level in a physical sport (in this case wrestling) with the boys, then either the standard of competition is well below average OR their have been circumstances (forfeitures from legitimate opponents) that affect the competitive balance...."

I want to ask you about this because you kind of make it sound like even if Lauryn wins at the regional/state tournament, you would be unwilling to give her credit. I'm not convinced you actually meant to do this. The quality of any giving weight class is pretty hard to gauge. The 105 pound weight class may very well be weak this year for any number of reasons. But even in a weak weight class there may be a few outstanding wrestlers. Then again, what would one say if a girl, any girl wrestled up in the 132 pound weight class, went to state and beat two or three former champions. When the weak weight class argument is gone, then what? These kids have no control over the quality of their weight class anyway. Sometimes you just have to give credit where credit is due.

I do believe in the near future there will be a girl in a higher weight class who will come out and be very successful. Individual sports make it possible for individuals to do extraordinary things especially when given the opportunity. It might not be Michelle Wie, but one of these days some girl is gonna come along and win a PGA event. Danica Patrick won an IndyCar series race this year . Do I think there will be a women who has a legitimate chance to compete and win in college wrestling against men? No, not in our lifetime. Men at that level have combined skill set and strength that women just cannot match. We have semi-professional women's football here in Pensacola. They have only lost about 5 games in the last ten years. But the best player on their team could not possibly play on our men's semi-professional team. The men are to strong and too fast. Yet they totally suck: Nice guys, but they are horrible.

http://www.speed51.com/2008_Stories/PLM/Five_Flags_PLM_finale_10_13.html http://www.speed51.com/2008_Stories/PLM/Post_Mobile_pro_Lee_Fields_100.html

These links are to a couple of stories about a girl named Johanna Long from here in Pensacola. She is only 16 years old and this year she won the Pro-Late Model Division at 5 Flags Speedway. She also ran in this year's Snow Flake and Snowball Derby, the biggest stockcar race in the country during the month of December. Both her and her Dad qualified and raced. We are all very proud of her.

TWill 5 years, 5 months ago

I get your point Mike and I think we agree on this topic more than we disagree. But one thing is for sure- Golf or Stockcar Racing is very far from wrestling when it comes to matters of gender equality.

We don't need to beat this horse though. Good Luck Lauryn!

Loren Kirby 5 years, 5 months ago

Twill, What you saying is the same if it was a boy. As you go more rounds in the tournament the harder it's going to be, doesn't matter if it's a boy our a girl. She has already proven that she can compete with the boys at her weight as by her record. Is she good enough to make to state? We will see. I'm pulling for her to! But if she doesn't make it this year, I would be willing to make a bet she does next year. And I bet her ranking will be higher next year. She will improve every year. Lets face it, not everyone is going to win at state, I was one of them my first year at state. Heck I know someone that didn't win a macth their first year wrestling, his Senior year he took state. With Lauryn, she not going to bulk up to become a 132 -145 pounder or whatever the weights are now. She going to stay pretty close to her weight now. This should help here down the road with having more exprerience against the lower classman that she probably will end up wrestling. I guess what it comes down to is that she has already shown that she can win against the boys. Has she one every macth, no, but did you? Who are you to say that she can't win state? Odds are against her, but it's for her to beat the odds. But for someone to say Lauryn doesn't belong is B.S., she's already proven she belongs on the team and is paying her dues. Give her some credit for going after something she love to do. If you was a real wrestler you would know what that feeling was and support her for it.

oldskoolstmbt 5 years, 5 months ago

duke bets (&loses)...you are so off....and since that was REALLY your last post...you know NOTHING about Iac and the reasons he left..so PLEASE be quiet and quit dissing SOROCO. GO LAUREN!!!!!oh...and if tibbets and anderson want to play volleyball...they should start the process like a few young girls did how many years ago to play football!!...Geri is right however, not a pretty sight them playing that sport....

Geri Bruggink 5 years, 5 months ago

You keep trying to eye the needle in this tread; but, your still missing a few cards. Before you play put down your knitting and count your deck!

SOROCO's athletic director is not a full time job and has never been. Administration has always plucked someone out of it's full time staff for this part time position. This AD is employed full time job is as a math teacher in the Jr. High. This is how they would prefer to fill the wrestling coaches position, as well; but, they keep falling short. It is a well known fact, that administration's goal is academics over athletics. Or budgeting.

Rural schools do not have high numbers in student body or in athletics. SOROCO High School has a student body of less then 130 kids. All of the athletic programs here suffer from low numbers. The only thing I can agree with you on is that there are not more boys and girls out for sports, as there are way too many opportunities ie: drugs, video games, drinking, TV, laziness, etc. This is a community social ill that stretches farther than SOROCO.

Did any one tell you that Steamboat's, North Park's and Kremmling's wresting programs are on also on the verge of being canceled due to low numbers? There use to be a time... back when... that the sports programs of all schools were backed by their communities in the number of spectators in attendance. This act of support nurtures and fuels participation and a DESIRE to participate in a community event. Our bedroom communities have become too diversified, fractured even, to come together even for the sake of their community's own children. Hayden fans... KUDOS to you for continuing a tradition of filling the stands up to watch your local athletes and cheering them on. And thank you for your support of Lauryn on the mat, when she is not wrestling one of your guys!

Short Deck - You watch too much TV where the stands are college or professional arenas fulled with people, because they are big venues. The one's you are not watching on ESPN are the one's where the TV viewership is too low to garner enough advertisers.

Duke_bets 5 years, 5 months ago

Mrs. Bruggink - You just made the best comment on this post when you wrote about the rural schools and the low numbers of kids in athletics. That is truly the state of high school athletics and it is unfortunate.

My apologies if I offended you. I was just initiating a debate and we have very different opinions.

Scott Wedel 5 years, 5 months ago

And she finished 2nd when top 4 qualified so she has already beaten wrestlers going to state. No asterisks or exceptional luck involved.

Only caution I suggest is not to expect that because of success as a freshman to project 3 more years of state tournaments doing better each year. I think that is unfair expectations.

Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle and you need to enjoy it now and know that is special and it may not happen again.

oldskoolstmbt 5 years, 5 months ago

Duke- your post from Feb. 4th @ 5:02pm.."Also, why did Soroco's top wrestler from the past 3 seasons move South to wrestle his senior year? That really says something for the quality of Soroco's athletics & coaches."...sound like a diss to me! And having an eight man football team is not a sad state of affairs..it is based on school enrollment, not how many kids go out for the sport...and watching our guys get hurt and sick from exhaustion because we only had 2 or three subs when the other teams would have 3 whole lines of players...well, hopefully you can figure that one out!...oh, and just for the record, Iac didn't even play football in Paonia...

Alobar 5 years, 5 months ago

It appears I've stumbled upon a heated forum, to which I will contribute my two cents. It saddens me to see this ignorant "gender logic" still so prevalent... Say what you want "Duke," but if you truly believe the words you are presenting than you are a sexist fool. This is the 21st century brotha man- we have a black president, and a female secretary of state, giving evidence to those less thick headed than you that these former gender/racial barriers are being broke. Let the girl wrestle if she pleases! Your mean words are serving no purpose other than to cause harm, so go jump off a bridge or something? Sure, you're going to say, "Mr. Alobar, you're quite crazy, and I was only stating my opinion." Well if you truly believe those words you have typed, than your opinion is sexist, no doubt in my deliciously ripe mind.

-Alobar

united747 5 years, 5 months ago

Its over and what it is, is.... She wrestles and no matter how much people discreminate her she will still wrestle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GO LAURYN

Abby Engle 5 years, 5 months ago

OH WAT SON! LOL Lauryn (my best friend) is going to state! And for all you people that dont agree with it, she doesn't need your approval! She knows that she has all of soroco and a lot of hayden and some of steamboat behind her! I love her to death and even though wrestling isn't something that I would want to pursue, it is her dream and I totally support her!

As of right now there is a ton of people that don't agree with her decision and her parents letting her do this. But just know that Lauryn looks at it like this, " I got haters and I got fans, Now I know I have made the big times." Now if that isn't the sound of a girl who has her heart set on doing what she wants to do then I dont know what is.

I know we are all entitled to our own opions. And I also know that some of you reading this will not agree with me. But, my opion and a lot of other peoples opion is that we love lauryn and support her.

Also i am not going to get into the the whole equality thing because that is a bunch of bull and so like our world today! You know the whole lets all hold hands and get along and try really hard not to step on one anothers toes! Well to me if you don't agree with me so what, and I know the truth hurts, but it doesnt kill ya. I agree 100% with lauryns Mom (i also call her mom). I have seen some of the guys at my school play volleyball and it isn't pretty. YIKES! ( lol you know i love you guys)! Any way i have said my peace Lou you know that i support you 100% and i hope i can come and watch you kick butt at state! I love you and your whole family!!!!! Love and lots of prayer! Abby Grace!

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 5 months ago

The only thing I expect from Lauryn and the nine...(yes nine) state qualifiers from Hayden, is that they do the best they can and have as much fun as they can possibly have. The future is undefined and not promised. This weekend is the only weekend that matters. Not last weekend, not the weekend after next or next season. This weekend.

To all the wrestlers going to state from Routt County, eyes from Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Virginia and now Maine, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Massachusetts are watching.

Good Luck to all of you!

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 5 months ago

playa(er),

"....letting Lauryn go to state". (?) Are you kidding? No one is letting Lauryn do anything. You need to do a little reading on the subject, before you run your proverbial mouth again. She pinned her first two opponents to advance to the championship round. All this while she was sick. I would say she earned her way to state.

Kid you need to learn to give credit where credit is due and show some respect. Yours seems to be the only self esteem at risk here.

littleacres 5 years, 5 months ago

Awesome job Lauryn! Go to state and kick some butt! Do it for you and be proud of yourself because there are a ton of people who are standing behind you! Don't let the foolish ignorant people get you down!

Abby Engle 5 years, 5 months ago

If your self-esteem comes from how well you do in sports, then you are gonna have a really hard time in the rest of your life. And yes sir I have been following this convo. and i agree with mike. No one has let lauryn do anything. She has worked her butt off every morning and night to get where she is today. She is a very disciplined and hard worker and gives everthing she has in every practice and match.

danny 5 years, 5 months ago

To all that worry about hurting "the self-esteem of the boys". you are all wimps. Get over it! Gettting ridiculed like that will make them stronger if they are tough enough to get past it. Every loss comes with self reflection. If it hurts their self esteem then they shouldn't compete because losing happens more then winning for most.

Besides girls beat guys all the time. This is a new world, there are girls that can dunk now, how about Danica Patrick winning formula one, female jockeys, and more. I am sure there are plenty of girls who can out ski, board, tennis, etc.. plenty of boys in Steamboat. How about winter sports club? I bet there are girls whooping on boys all the time. My Mom beat me at the San Francisco Half Marathon a couple of years ago. getting beat by my mom doesn't hurt my self esteem(it sucks bad and she won't let me forget it) but it tells me i should have trained better.

It would be one thing if she "wrestled like a girl" but getting beat by a girl who is dominating her class is nothing and shouldn't hurt any well adjusted kids self esteem. It should motivate him even more then getting beat by a boy to train harder.

I agree if a girl has her own league to compete in then they shouldn't take a spot away from a boy otherwise it would allow boys to enter the girls league and take spot away from them. Ie.. Serena Williams shouldn't play in the mens league even though she can beat some men, because that would set a precendent for men to jump on the prize money of the womens leagues.

Stop trying to coddle everyone. They are wrestlers. Aren't they supposed to be tough?

Lauryn! you could probably pin most of the guys posting on this blog. Go to State and kick butt! We believe in you!

Tyco 5 years, 5 months ago

HELL YES MY SISTER IS GOING TO STATE!!!!!!

I couldn't be prouder of her!!! Placing 2nd at Regionals shows she has the skills and abilities to have fighting chance at State! Go Girl!!!

Just a side note, I am not hiding behind a mysterious name. Many people from Soroco know that I'm often called Tyco (thanks to my brother, former Soroco wrestler) and that being Lauryn's sister my real name is Coty.

GO LAURYN!!! KICK SOME ***!! WE'LL BE THERE!!!

Your sis Coty, and your good luck charm Koy (nephew)

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 5 months ago

Well Tyco...Coty, Congratulations to your whole family. You guys must be proud right out of your minds....

Routt_County_Guy 5 years, 5 months ago

Lauryn! All the Iacs from old to young are very proud of you and your trip to State. You've already set records as a female wrestler, and will probably set many more in years to come.
My last request is that Playa and Dukebets would have the guts to, A) state who they are, and B) challenge you in a wrestling match, as I'm sure their self-esteem would be bruised forever after you got done with them! Good luck at State!!!

playa46 5 years, 5 months ago

Darers first, Routt_County_Guy.

What will telling my name accomplish? I never said anything demeaning to her, I think this is great. Geezus Christ people, actually read what I post please. Maybe then common sense will take place.

Mike Coziahr 5 years, 5 months ago

I read your posts...I think you're a tool. ":rough rowdy boys in SSHS:" Your're a real playa(er) you are.

playa46 5 years, 5 months ago

Ah Mike, still looking for something logical to say? Nice try though.