As sports fans, we all want a lot out of the new year.
Some of it's realistic, such as Tiger Woods coming back healthy, and some of it's totally farfetched - like my Buffalo Bills ending a nine-year playoff drought with Dick "I have no idea about game management" Jauron as head coach.
Regardless, teams across Routt County certainly have wishes in the new year. Here's a rundown.
- Steamboat boys basketball: offensive consistency. The team has played some top competition but hasn't shot the ball well early in the season. If they can start to score, another league title isn't out of the picture.
- Steamboat girls basketball: confidence in league play. The team has the all the pieces and experience to do well in league games. But the Sailors have struggled in recent years. If they can pull off a couple of wins, it could waterfall into a solid season.
- Steamboat hockey: more balanced scoring. If Steamboat learned anything from its lone loss to Lewis-Palmer, it's that deep teams succeed. Steamboat has the players - the team just needs to get scoring from some place other than its first line.
- Steamboat wrestling: basic consistency. The program needs bodies and people to compete. If that happens, the team should have a shot at sending a couple of wrestlers to the state tournament.
- Steamboat skiing: more snow and sunny days. Let it snow on the days they're not racing. Then let it be sunny when they are. That's not too much to ask.
- Soroco boys basketball: half-court success. The Rams are the most athletic basketball team in the county. If they can manage to succeed in the half court, they will become all the more dangerous.
- Soroco girls basketball: more frantic play. Soroco sees its best success when the team plays an up-and-down type of game. Through the first few games, it was easy to see them get better. If that continues, Soroco could fight to finish near the top of the league.
- Soroco wrestling: three state qualifiers. Although the numbers are down overall, the effort seems to be there. If it can all come together, Soroco could have a couple of wrestlers in the Pepsi Center.
- Hayden boys basketball: consistent guard play. The Tigers have two of the better post players in the district, but they might only go as far as their guards take them.
- Hayden girls basketball: more of the same. They look like the best team in the district. If they continue to play this well, a trip to the state playoffs could be in the future.
- Hayden wrestling: two state champions. Coy Letlow and Mitch Doolin have phenomenal shots at bringing home state championships. They have the needed experience to succeed. It's just a matter of doing it on the biggest stage.
- To reach Luke Graham, call 871-4229
or e-mail email@example.com