Wild West Air Fest emcee Mike Forney looks up at a smiley face written in the sky by skywriter Steve Oliver above Steamboat Springs Airport in August 2008. The photo, taken by Matt Stensland, was one of several Steamboat Pilot & Today images that earned a Colorado Associated Press Editors and Reporters award at a ceremony Friday night in Denver.
Steamboat Pilot & Today 2008 CAPER-award-winning stories
"Battle For The Mountain," by Brandon Gee.
"Boon or Bust?" by Brandon Gee.
The Editorial Board won for its entry of three editorials: "A river runs through it," "Kill Taylor's hunting bill" and "Council should end Harwigs gatherings."
"Fumbled Forest," by Brandon Gee.
"Dealing with Denial," by Brandon Gee.
Rob Douglas won for his entry of two columns: "Put an Emerald on this Crown"and "Horrific crime rekindles debate."
Online Special Packages and Series
"The Last Stand," by Pilot & Today staff.
"Molly Look," and "Molly on the mend"by Matt Stensland.
Luke Graham won for his entry of two columns: "Blueprint for success"and "Morse throws first strike at no-hitter."
Dave Shively won for his entry of two columns, including: "Humble Pie."
John F. Russell won for his entry of two columns: "Senior tennis players break new ground, age gracefully"and "Riding for Kasey Jo."
"Leaving The Helm," by Luke Graham and "Heating Up Alaska," by Luke Graham.
Spot News Story
"Mom arrested for murder," by Alexis DeLaCruz.
Denver The Steamboat Pilot & Today won 25 awards in the Colorado Associated Press Editors and Reporters annual awards contest. The awards were presented during a banquet Friday night at the Brown Palace hotel in downtown Denver.
The Pilot & Today won more awards than any other newspaper in its circulation class of 10,000 and less. The 25 awards also were the most CAPER awards the newspaper has won in a single year.
"The Last Stand," the Pilot & Today's five-part series examining the mountain pine beetle epidemic sweeping across the Rocky Mountain west, accounted for eight of those awards, including first place for business story, environmental story, feature story, informational graphic, online special package, series and continuing photo coverage. The series took home second place for beat reporting.
The Pilot & Today also was named tops in its class for general excellence, editorial writing, news column writing, online breaking news, sports column writing, sports story, feature photo, photo illustration and sports photo. In all, the Pilot & Today won 16 first-place awards.
"The awards truly are a reflection of the great young talent we have in our newsroom," Pilot & Today Editor Brent Boyer said. "I'm incredibly proud of our team, and these awards are well-deserved recognition for their hard work."
Colorado Associated Press Editors and Reporters is made up of Associated Press member newspapers in Colorado. The CAPER contest entries were judged by Associated Press members in Pennsylvania. All stories and photos published between Sept. 1, 2007, and Aug. 31, 2008, were eligible for entry.
First-place awards for the Pilot & Today:
- Business story: Brandon Gee for "Boon or Bust?"
- Editorial writing: Editorial Board
- Environmental story: Gee for "Fumbled forest"
- Feature story: Gee for "Dealing with denial"
- General excellence: Staff
- Informational graphic: Nicole Miller for "Mountain pine beetle"
- News column writing: Rob Douglas
- Online breaking news: Staff
- Online special package: Staff for "The Last Stand"
- Series: Gee, Miller and Matt Stensland for "The Last Stand"
- Sports column writing: Luke Graham
- Sports story: Graham for "Leaving the helm"
- Continuing photo coverage: Stensland for "The Last Stand"
- Feature photo: Stensland for "Sky writer"
- Photo illustration: Brian Ray for "Football fire"
- Sports photo: John F. Russell for "Ski jumper"
- Beat reporting: Gee for "Battle for the Mountain"
- Sports column writing: Dave Shively
- Spot news story: Alexis Delacruz for "Mom arrested for murder"
Honorable mention awards:
- Informational graphic: Allison Miriani for "Raking it in"
- Online special package: Stensland for "Molly Look"
- Series: Stensland for "Molly Look"
- Sports column writing: Russell
- Sports story: Graham for "Heating up Alaska"
- Portrait/personality photo: Stensland for "The graduate"