Charges pending in marijuana case

Steamboat couple suspected of growing, distributing drug

— Charges are expected to be filed by the end of the week against a Steamboat Springs couple suspected of running a marijuana growth and distribution operation out of their Old Town home, according to the All Crimes Enforcement Team.

The Steamboat Springs Police Department, called to a party in the 300 block of Ninth Street on Saturday night, found youths drinking alcohol at the house in addition to an extensive marijuana cultivation operation.

ACET Task Force Commander Garrett Wiggins declined to identify the suspects, saying it would be "premature" to release any identifying information. Multiple charges are expected against the husband and wife in the next few days, Wiggins said.

The couple was not home during the party Saturday night, and neither has been arrested in connection with the ongoing investigation.

Steamboat police cited about 15 juveniles at the house for possessing alcohol, Det. Jerry Stabile said Monday. One of them was the suspects' child, Wiggins said.

One of the juveniles at the party was later to found to be in possession of drug paraphernalia, as well, Wiggins said.

In a subsequent search, 13 pounds of marijuana were confiscated from the home, along with at least 48 marijuana plants in various stages of growth and hallucinogenic mushrooms. There were no signs that mushrooms also were being grown at the house, according to investigators. A search of the property also turned up weighing devices and packaging instruments, Wiggins said.

"Based on some of the things we seized during the search warrant, it's very easy to assume there was a distribution process going on there," Wiggins said.

Though the female suspect has a medical marijuana license, the house contained "about 10 times" what she is allowed to have under state law, Wiggins said.

"For somebody to smoke that amount of marijuana, they'd have a joint in their mouth 24/7," Wiggins said. "It's more than just your personal use type of stuff."

A licensed medical marijuana user can have as much as 2 ounces of usable marijuana and as many as six plants, only three of which can be mature, Wiggins said.

Charges could be filed against the couple as early as today, Wiggins said.

"He's got a real good job, making a lot of money, so I can't understand why he'd risk something like this," Wiggins said.

Comments

oldskoolstmbt 5 years, 2 months ago

chronic, i was not trying to 'get one up on you'...just trying to put some credibility to your rightous spewing...thanks. LEGALIZE IT!!!!

aichempty 5 years, 2 months ago

Oh, gosh Garrett. It's because he's a doper. Oh, and because he's been getting away with it. I'd think a cop could understand that by now.

So, why has he been getting away with it? With so many people involved, how could this have possibly escaped the attention of the SSPD and the DA's office?

It's going to be very interesting to see who these people are.

I've got a few names in mind that are probably connected with them, but I'll save the speculation and wait for the facts.

oldskoolstmbt 5 years, 2 months ago

hopefully the reason they have 'been getting away with it' is because law enforcement have bigger fish to fry...meth labs, the out of control 'x' problem, cocaine, prescription drugs, etc...not some couple growing a few plants. i want to know if these officer's had legal cause to search the house?...maybe trying to find every kid at this house and they just stumbled upon it?....

NchronicPain 5 years, 2 months ago

I hope they fry these two morons!! And that is coming from a medical marijuana patient, myself. These people ARE dopers. The fact that the woman is a medical marijuana patient should be a moot point by now. The MMJ card should've been laughed at at the scene. These people are far from responsible adults. See why marijuana should not be legal to public for recreational use..... we can't even trust people with medical cards. sheesh

NchronicPain 5 years, 2 months ago

oldskoolstmbt says... "hopefully the reason they have 'been getting away with it' is because law enforcement have bigger fish to fry:meth labs, the out of control 'x' problem, cocaine, prescription drugs, etc:not some couple growing a few plants. i want to know if these officer's had legal cause to search the house?:maybe trying to find every kid at this house and they just stumbled upon it?:.

If this person was not a medical patient I would kinda agree with you, but since they were given the responsibility of having a medical card and growing their own medicine, I lost all respect for them and their rights. You raise a good point about the search. But, since they left and came back with a warrant, means they saw it in plain view, or smelled it. And yes, I hope the ACET and local COPS are using their government funds to clean up some of the nasty junk (ie Coke and ecstacy) that is floating around this town, rather than seeking out to bust medical patients.... or even just people growing a few plants, but you can't blame them for jumping all over 13lbs and 48 plants....any cop will jump on that anytime.

jk 5 years, 2 months ago

chronic, first you stand on your soapbox and praise marijuana for all of its benefits, and how it has no ill side effects. Now you want to fry these people for a situation you know nothing about. Go sit down hit your vaporizer and calm down. It should be legalized so we stop spending billions of dollars policing and incarcerating people for something you have said yourself is harmless and helpful

trump_suit 5 years, 2 months ago

Sorry jk, there is a huge difference between medical or personal use, and actively marketing to teenagers as appears to have been the case here.

NchronicPain 5 years, 2 months ago

Maybe you're right, jk..... I am humble enough to see your point. I don't know anything about this situation, except for what is in the news articles and what I see is disgusting, when you look at it from a medical marijuana patient's point of view. Empathize, put yourself in my shoes. This hurts our movement. People like this. They are carefree and easy. The 48 plants is not the big deal to me. It's ALOT, way too many, but some patients need that many. I know of two patients who's Dr.'s upped there legal plant count to 40 plants (because they are recommended to ingest it). But, those patients can still never have a reason to possess 13lbs!!! If they are growing and harvesting that much, stockpiling for themselves... they should've never put themselves at risk to have the COPS on the front door step. I hope that more details come up, so I can learn more about this..... and maybe I'm too quick and emtionally charged when I say to fry these folks, but from the facts I see... they are gona fry anyways.

jk 5 years, 2 months ago

I agree with you chronic they have dug themselves a bad hole here. They were also very lax in their judgement regarding the medical issue, and it does give an argument to those on the other side. Trump I don't believe in any way shape or form these people were out to target selling to the youth of our community. They didn't have their thinking caps on thats for sure.

NchronicPain 5 years, 2 months ago

wow.... I just read that the medical patient, the mother, was not even home or in town when this all took place. wow... what a twist to the story!!! I keeping my eye out tomorrow for the charges.... this is a wild story to me.... sad in so many ways.

hangoutforawhile 5 years, 2 months ago

These people were not marketing to kids. The kids at this party had NO IDEA the operation was going on. I have a feeling I'm gunna have to repeat that about a million more times.

NchronicPain 5 years, 2 months ago

That's the first time you've said it in that way, hangout... I doubted they were marketing that kind of quantity to the kids the whole time.... it's all these other morons that thought that. Did the daughter know?? Man, she made a bad choice. I made plenty of those when I was her age. I know how it feels, not exactly, but pretty much. So, I have compassion for these kids.... But answer me this, they left there kids at home ALONE, while they were out of town, with 13lbs of weed in the house, mushrooms, and a loaded garden??? stupid.

hangoutforawhile 5 years, 2 months ago

well, my guess would be is it was locked in a closet...big closet. Both parents work out of town from time to time. Most kids are left alone. I believe she is 18 so it's not unheard of to leave her alone to tend to the house. Who knows what anyone's parents have hidden around the house. It's just always a bummer when the parents can't think of the complications that come with what they were doing. I'm very upset that she has a license and still felt the need to go to these lengths to grow so much. She obviously was not smoking it all herself so...I don't know, i'm disappointed.

trump_suit 5 years, 2 months ago

By the time I was 18, I am not sure there were any secrets in my parents house.

You are correct jk, and hang. If there was no marketing to teenagers this is a much lesser issue in my opinion.

NchronicPain 5 years, 2 months ago

"Who knows what anyone's parents have hidden around the house." -hangoutforawhile

WHAT~!? not too many parents I know of have 13lbs of weed and 48 plants, just hidden away in some closet.... I'm not sure if you know, but 1 pound of high grade medical marijuana sells for around $4,000. x13...that's $52,000.... and the DEA states that one flowering marijuana is worth $5,000... even if only half of the plants were flowering... thats $120,000. Her license was nothing but dollar signs in her eyes. I'm sure she wasn't selling that kind of marijuana to her high school daughter's friends, but she was striking it rich off sick folks. Us patients... shame on her.

oldskoolstmbt 5 years, 2 months ago

there is no evidence they were selling to kids...or anyone for that manner...i had some friends who got busted about 15 years ago with 75 mature plants, 35 starters, etc...it was all for personal use...they thought to grow alot at one time and then disassemble 'the farm' for a for a few years would be less risky...anyway, i guess i would be more impressed if this was a meth lab, cocaine ring, oxycotin factory.... nchronic (aka: pot god)- where do you get your info about who she was selling it to???shame on you for passing judgement...and please enlighten us on the reason for your "CHRONIC PAIN"...

NchronicPain 5 years, 2 months ago

I don't have to enlighten anyone on the reason for my chronic pain... why would I??? and why should I??? I didn't say WHO she was selling the pot to.... I said how much it would b worth if she was selling... read

stmbt80477 5 years, 2 months ago

NchronicPain 5 years, 2 months ago

stmbt80477 says... "The marijuana was for personal use; she apparently needed it. This is a respectable family in Steamboat who are innocent until proven guilty. At this point, there is only the fact of bad decisions being made. And who hasn't made bad decisions? Have we as young people ever been involved in underaged drinking? Have we never broken a law? Ah, but did we ever get caught and have our names splattered all over the newspaper? Far be it for people in this comunity to tar and feather their neighbors without allowing the judicial system to perform its job."

Ummmmm, have you read any of the comments above... thanks for restating everything that we already know and contributing nothing. I am a medical marijuana patient too, and I medicate daily. NEVER would I EVER need 8 pounds of meds... EVER. Thats the point. YES. Here is THE bad decision: Leaving the 18 year old at home, with your entire house containing your medicinal garden, that happens to be all over the house with your ungodly, ridiculous amount of medicine, and not clearly and specifically telling your kid to NOT THROW ANY PARTYS because the house is full of felonous amounts of pot and mushrooms. If she took seriously her condition, the law that was written specificaly for us patients, and the reason behind the restrictions put upon us patients, she would've never even thought of having those amounts. If the COPS would've come in and found a little personal garden - which is all that is necessary for personal use - and a few jars of meds - not 8 pounds - they would've respected her rights and probably her anonimty too.... BUT she was WAY over her limits whether she needed it or not. period. THAT IS the bad decision made here... and thanks for reminding us that we are all innocent until proven guilty in America.... I almost forgot.

Oh and by thw way, oldskool~lifer,..... pot god?? Thanks. I wish.

oldskoolstmbt 5 years, 2 months ago

chronic wrote: '..she was striking it rich off sick folks. Us patients...shame on her.' how is that not stating who she was selling to????....i was just wondering about your 'pain' as being in your mind and feeding the addiction via your medical use card...and thanks to YOU for reminding us all ONCE AGAIN that you are a medical marijuana user and the law abiding citizen legal smoker...we almost forgot!

NchronicPain 5 years, 2 months ago

Right... the chronic neuropathy and the visible muscle tremors that seize my hands up into extremely painful little balls is all in my head... keep assuming you judgemental thoughts. I'll keep staying healthy. and yes, I am happily addicted to a wonderful, cancer fighting, antioxidant..... that is proven not to harm the human body any more than the preservatives in our food and the pollution in our air. So, go ahead, believe what you want about me. Continue being frustrated because you can't get one up on me. And yes, you got me..... if she was legally in possession of 8 pounds of medicine, she would have to be a medical caregiver, which it has not been stated that she is. So, my first thought is that she would legally HAVE TO take her extras to a medical co-op, OR else SHE is HOLDING a FELONOUS amount OF MARIJUANA...period.... hence, striking it rich. If not, I openly apologize to her and you, for making a rash judgement myself. But, I still think she took having a MMJ card as a joke. She was just too carefree and easy about a serious issue.