Lynn Abbott: Thanks, Bennet

— Did you get a call from Sen. John McCain last Wednesday? I did, as did many Coloradans “of a certain age.” He warned me that the Senate health care bill would “cut $500 billion dollars in vital Medicare coverage for our seniors.” He said I should lobby our Sen. Michael Bennet to co-sponsor (McCain’s) amendment to send the bill back to the Senate finance committee. His purpose, of course, was to dramatically delay progress on the bill.

I wanted to tell him that he can’t scare me. I wanted to say that I already know the Senate bill will not cut any of my or anyone else’s Medicare benefits. I also wanted to tell him that I know this bill will extend the life of the Medicare Trust Fund by five years. Unfortunately, his call was just a robo call, so I couldn’t tell him a thing. Fortunately, Bennet could — and did. He introduced an amendment that made it clear that guaranteed Medicare benefits would not be cut as a result of the legislation.

McCain’s amendment to send the health care bill back to the finance committee was rejected, 58-42. Bennet’s amendment was accepted, 100-0. Scare tactics didn’t work. The positive approach wins again.

Thank you, Bennet, for standing strong on health care reform.

Lynn Abbott

Steamboat Springs

Comments

sledneck 4 years, 9 months ago

Bankrupt the Nation? Yes We Can! Decieve the world about global warming? Yes WE Can! Expand a war we previously opposed? Yes We Can! Destroy the best health care system in the world? Yes We Can! Ensure big governments power forever? Yes We Can! Guarantee higher taxes and hyper inflation on all Americans? Yes We Can! Use military bases for political speeches to make us look pro military? Yes We Can? Spend 18 million on a website explaining the BS? Yes We Can! Legalize 20 million trespassers? Yes WE Can! Get a pass on all of it from the pinko media? Yes We Can!

Create jobs by taxing business? No We Can't! Get control of lawyers who are destroying health care? No We Can't! Keep the audiance awake at West Point? No We Can't! Make a speech without a teleprompter? No We Can't! Keep nuts out of White House parties? No We Can't! Call it a War not an "overseas contingency operation"? No We Can't! Find political appointees who actually pay their taxes? No We Can't! Find one single tax on earth we oppose? No We Can't! Run a post office, DMV, Amtrack, schools, medicare, social security? No We Can't! Build a fence? No We Can't! Eliminate "waste, fraud and abuse" BEFORE taking over health care? No We Can't! Eliminate "waste, fraud and abuse" AFTER taking over health care? No We Can't! Rebuild the World Trade Center with the "shovel ready" money? No We Can't!

Zed 4 years, 9 months ago

^^^^ Partisan hackery at its best. Life is great when everything is cut and dry, left and right, right and wrong. "Make a speech without a telepromter", "Build a fence" - that's the best you can come up with?

Lynn Abbott's comment on scare tactics is worth noting, seems to be abused far too often by leaders and extremists.

Fred Duckels 4 years, 9 months ago

Lynn, You seem to know a lot about this proposed legislation and what it promises, even before it is finished. I believe it will not cut medicare benefits but will cut payment to providers who may not want to take medicare. The winners to date are the mirror and smoke providers, and in the end the unions will reap a nice harvest for their investment. Lawyers have not done much complaining on this subject either. As long as politicians are empowered to solve our problems, we will continue on our path to a welfare state, in order to prolong the rascals tenure. In Washington a patriot seems to be extinct.

greenwash 4 years, 9 months ago

I would much rather support Perlmutter than Bennet when given an actual choice.ReThink Ritter as well.

Fred Duckels 4 years, 9 months ago

Unions have a vested interest in a government takeover of health care, public entities are 40% union and the private sector is only 8%. Anybody need a tudor?

1999 4 years, 9 months ago

sledneck...keep em coming. that was the most I've laughed in a while. The funniest part is that you clearly believe all of that nonsense.

keep up the good work!!!!!

oh yeah...and what SHOULD obama have done about the afghanistan war????

lets hear YOUR opinion

sledneck 4 years, 9 months ago

Partisan: A strong supporter of a faction, party, etc. With which party or faction do you suppose I am affiliated?

As far as "build a fence-is that the best you can do?" If it is such a simplistic notion where is the fence?

Other "scare tactics" all pale in comparison to the global warming hoax. Which leaders and extremists are abusing that? Why doesn't anyone on the left express "concern" about THAT scare tactic?

"Life is great" when FREEDOM reigns. It can not with the excessive burdens placed on us daily by big government. I am not a partisan. I am an American; and I am sick of big government and those who embrace it on the right and left. Health care "reform" will be bad for me, my health, my freedom and that of my country.

P.S. George Bush (senior or junior) NEVER got a vote from me. There is no "R" or "D" beside my name.

JLM 4 years, 9 months ago

Sled, you may be an American but you are one FUNNY American. Thanks for the laughs! Keep it coming.

Zed 4 years, 9 months ago

sledneck, government will always appear as a burden and enemy when you are on the losing side of policy, but the reality is that government does many positive things to keep our society from falling apart and protecting us from each other. It blows me away to listen to people complaining about the burden of government while benefiting from government policies and programs every day. Is there waste and corruption? Absolutely, but I don't see how making it smaller will lessen the chances of waste and corruption. The solution in my mind is a better educated public that demands more from their leaders.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

Out comes the name calling and personal attacks whenever the left are confronted with the ugly truth of their beloved POTUS. Sledneck could have added:

Fundamentally change this free market economy to a Socialist/Marxist state?Yes we can! Get away with massive corruption with the help of the MSM?Yes we can! Hire dozens of Mao loving czars to institute freedom crippling laws?Yes we can! Have a Congressional hearing on John McCain's eligibility but knowingly hide Obama's long form Birth Certificate?Yes we can! Steal GM from the Bondholders and give it to the UAW with taxpayer money?Yes we can! Fund corrupt political action groups like ACORN and SEIU with taxpayer money?Yes we can! Sneak a Racist Pastor like the Rev. Wright into the White House?Yes we can! Create huge political slush funds with TARP and Stimulus money?Yes we can! Tell the American people not to jump to conclusions about the Muslim who killed 13 service members at FT. Hood but saying "I don't know the details but the cops acted stupidly" when asked about the arrest of his professor pal in Mass?yes we can! Make no mention of the Climategate scandal while still preparing to spread the US wealth in Copenhagen?Yes we can!

I'll rest for now and wait for the names to come my way.

P.S. Will somebody please explain how you cut 1/2 a trillion dollars from Medicare without cutting services. I'll wait.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

Zed said: "And look at the recent economic issues with lending and big financial firms, do you think this economic crisis was a result of excessive government or individuals gaming the free market to make money? In my mind, the blame for government's shortcomings should fall on citizens who are too busy shouting each other out and espousing their Truth instead of finding common ground and working towards a secure and prosperous future.

Maybe I don't have as much faith as you do in humans to take care of and respect each other without some beaurocracy."

Government regulation had everything to do with the Mortgage meltdown and the current worldwide economic crisis. Fannie/Freddie, the Democrats play ground for low income votes, was a tool by the likes of Barney Frank and Chris Dodd in spreading the wealth and getting votes. Banks had to make the loans or they would have been charged with Redlining, a Government regulation, and would have had big time trouble surviving the wrath of the Government. Unfortunately for Zed his answer is socialism which is big brother ruling our lives, sorry but that is a recipe for trouble and the majority of Americans are rising up in rejection of the growing nightmare.

Zed 4 years, 9 months ago

How do you know someone is blowing hot air? When they make statements about the majority of Americans: seeuski- "the majority of Americans are rising up in rejection of the growing nightmare". No, sadly the majority of Americans are probably going about their lives unconcerned about issues of government and regulation.

The mortgage meltdown was about spreading the wealth? huh, I thought it was investors trying to get a return on toxic assets and financial institutions doing shady credit default swaps(Bear Stearns collapse?). There is no way companies would take advantage of the free market system, it must have been the government! I won't hesistate to acknowledge and work to fix the shortcomings of my government, but people like you are not going to scare everyone against their own government under the banner of freedom, that was the republican game plan and it failed(They are going to take our guns, oh no!). From your end of the spectrum, everything probably does look like socialism....

If you want to know the recipe for trouble, analyze the problems that led up to the past two years. It WAS a nightmare for a lot of people including those who have lost their jobs, those who have been sent overseas, those denied health insurance, those whose retirement savings disappeared. The blame game, scare tactics, and hacking up the government are not a solution.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

Zed, I am glad that the minority, of which you reside, are content with their heads in the sand to the real news of what is happening to us. Because then the title wave of the coming elections will be a huge broadside to you and yours.By head in the sand I certainly do mean that the people you speak of rely on the MSM who have had zero reports of the Climategate scam for instance or who made no reports of Van Jones until he was forced out on a Friday at midnight etc etc. You obviously suffer from this reporting as the crisis or bubble was started with loan defaults that triggered the crash of the whole system. It is every Americans interest to acknowledge the facts of the Fannie/Freddie fiasco or we will have more of it. Oops, we are already with the spread the wealth programs that are setting us up for spiraling inflation. The FED is using funny money which depletes the value of our personal stash of cash and that is a silent tax in a big way. Your health insurance worries will be multiplied tenfold if the Government takes it over. And as much as you may hate it, I along with everyone else who apposes this Socialization have been effected as you describe by this economy. We just have different ideals on the way forward. The warnings to the Dems in control of Fannie were made starting in 1999 by Bill Clinton and continued by George Bush and John McCain like it or not. History revisionism works only on the willing and the dumb. And talk about hot air Zed, the true unemployment rate is close to 20% and you think people are going through life unaware and living as usual and are unconcerned? I suggest you pay some attention to the Rasmussen daily polls as you may find out otherwise on all of your assumptions. Good luck and God help us.

sledneck 4 years, 9 months ago

You are right Zed, government appears to be my enemy. No doubt! My number one. If you want a great explanation about the true, original purpose of governemet (which I suspect you do not) read The Law by Frederic Bastiat. (written in the 1800's so you can't call him a "partisan hack") Compared to what it takes from me government does little for me. It's not only about making government smaller it's about restoring its sanity. In the mean time a small oppressor beats a big one. Yes I said oppressor. And are we to expect this " better educated" public you hope for to emerge from government schools?

Now, concerning this present economic situation; yes, government is most definitely part of the cause. Government officials (left and right) pressured HUD, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and FHA to make riskier and riskier loans to less and less qualified people. Those loans exploded in our face and that precipitated the financial meltdown. By 2007 Fannie and Freddie (you and me as collateral) had 1 TRILLION is SUB PRIME loans on their books. Why? Spread the wealth and buy the votes mentality, thats why! Look into this with honest curiosity and you will find answers you may not like.

Thats not to say there were no other underlying problems. Sure there were. If you want a good explanation (which I suspect you do not) read "The Housing Boom & Bust" by Thomas Sowell. Many were at fault! INCLUDING government. The assets only became toxic when the "chickens" of loose lending came home to "roost" on the taxpayers.

The reason I fear communism (you say socialism I say watermelon) is because I know history. 30 million dead under Stalin. 50 million under Mao. All for "the greater good". Now I hear the far left fringe saying things like "humans are bad for the planet" and "man is the problem". As a student of history I can tell you without equivocation that from there to the gallows is a shorter walk than you think, Zed. And when they raid the house they usually get everybody.

Zed 4 years, 9 months ago

The far left fringe is exactly that, a fringe, so I don't see how you draw a connection from environmental protection and universal healthcare to 30 million dead under totalitarianism? Much like the "death panels", there is this habit from extremes of the political spectrum of scaring people into a certain political view, which was Lynn Abott's original point.

I am sure you can come up with some positive ways the government is helping you throughout your day today, unless you are living way out off the grid.

And I take offense to your comment about public schools, I am sorry if you had a bad experience, but I have many in the public school system to thank for helping me along.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

lewi lewi, You must try harder than that, it was Rasmussen that had the Presidential election predicted almost exactly. But go ahead dream on believing you are in the majority then and when you see the next march on Washington by the 9/12 movement you can claim only a few thousand people when it was 1.5 or so million. NJ found out the hard way that even many Democrats are fed up with the current corruption and voted for a Republican Governor. The coming elections will have to be your wakeup call.

trump_suit 4 years, 9 months ago

See,

You are probably correct about the elections. All the more reason to shove this healthcare reform thru while the Dems have the votes.

Did you ever find that annual Acorn budget for us?

The truth on all of these issues is neither as black as some portray it, nor as white as the other side would believe. If common sense would prevail we could discuss these issues and compromise on our differences instead of this constant bickering,

Regardless of the scientists email controversy (dumb, just dumb what they did) The planet is warming and the raw data confirms this trend. What do you say to this article?

jimmmmmm 4 years, 9 months ago

Seeuski, just thought I'd send you some links, that might give you something to think about; if anything, it'll show you how much your party likes to misinform the public.

This one is just a CBO report, which I know, according to you, is just a function of the POTUS, and is not nonpartisan. But it does prove you wrong in one arena. But, then again, who needs factual nonpartisan information, when you've got Glenn Beck.

This next one is about your boy, Karl "I love to lie" Rove. I can't believe what a blowhard he is.

Oh, and finally, an interesting video from the floor of the Senate-some good comments about Health Care Reform, and how good your favorite health care system of Texas is.

Zed, good to have someone else around here to break up this wonderful Tea Party.

blue_spruce 4 years, 9 months ago

At this point in time I have come to understand that anyone who does NOT think that health care reform is needed is just ignorant of the current situation in this country. The best thing we can do at this point is try and ignore the angry white men like Beck and Rush… and all their blind followers, and move forward in spite of their shameful obstructionist tactics. Do these guys actually realize that a lot of people actually believe what they spew?!? Maybe they are too busy counting all the $$ they make preaching this BS. It’s disgusting, and is seriously hurting our great country. Again, the best thing we can all do is simply ignore them; they are a shrinking minority they will go away as the years pass by….good riddance!

sledneck 4 years, 9 months ago

When all the "angry white men" are gone who will fund utopia? How does free speech hurt our country? Killing the messenger will not put clothes on the emperor. No one said we don't need to improve health care. The question is what methods bring the best results. We are "ignorant, angry, white, males. We are blind followers. Our tactics are shameful and obstructionist. We believe BS thats being spewed for $$$. And OUR discourse is hurting our country". Yeah, thats constructive. Whats the difference between mindless follower of Rush and mindless critic of Rush? Different wing of the same bird.

housepoor 4 years, 9 months ago

"It used to be said that we were all entitled to our own opinions, but not entitled to our own facts. No more. In modern America, we choose our facts to fit our opinions"

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't need to read the stories attached to links from trump or jimmmmm to know that they are based on manipulated data. I attended the Steamboat Institute event here in August and learned from actual climate related scientists the truth behind the data. It blows my mind that in the midst of evidence that temperature readings were adjusted to show a warming trend and then the actual data was destroyed the AGW crowd still touts the same results. This should not come down to a white black or Dem Republican position because it should be a reality based on true facts and data as we are all locked on this same planet and we all rely on it to survive. And for my friendly pal jimmmmmmmmmmmm, Does it not seem suspicious to you that the CBO changed it's numbers in Obama's favor after Obama had Elmendorf into his office which was unprecedented and corrupt for a so called non-partisan reviewer to go through. Kinda like having an arbitrator who is pressured by one side over the other. Oh, and as I sit here writing to all of my friends here I just got a call from my sister informing me that the "Government" has rejected her for Medicare and as we were speaking the Medicare office was returning her call for an explanation. So I will keep all of my friends here informed of her plight because as you all want to put your trust in Big Brother to manage the whole shooting match her rejection could be our future reality.

boatgirl 4 years, 9 months ago

All the "angry white men" who spend their entire day and night blogging on the Pilot are obviously very unemployed, bitter men as well. Why don't you go skiing. Oh, I forgot you only watch other people ski. Sorry Seeuski. Take a break guys and go buy yourself a Holiday present or send out a Card.

Duke_bets 4 years, 9 months ago

seeuski - Check the posts before you. Where are the personal attacks and name-calling you reference?

seeuski - You refuse to read links by others, but you post one-sided propaganda every day.

sledneck originally posted 20+ answers to questions and actually got 13+ wrong.

That was just a validity check on the nonsense posted!

sledneck 4 years, 9 months ago

Help me out Duke. Educate me. I certainly don't want to put out bad info. After all, thats what climatologists are for. What exactly did I get factually incorrect?

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

You not only want me to read the BS that you guys rant about here but go to other blogs that are nothing more than rants with lies? Why? And watching Al Franken? Spare me.

And Ducky, my propaganda is better than your propaganda. Na na na na na.

Now back to reality, My sister was informed by the Medicare office that they didn't have the paperwork and she would have to go to the Social Security office today and wait in line to get her answers as to why she was denied health coverage. Updates later.

trump_suit 4 years, 9 months ago

See,

Let me get this straight, you want to get your sister into Gov't run health care but deny it for everyone else. Seems a little self serving to me. How do you reconcile your views within your own set of beliefs? Either the gov't does or does not belong in your life. Which is it? If you will not read and consider the viewpoints of others then you are just another propagandist and not an honest debator. You could at least read and listen even if you disagree.

Do you mean Medicare or Medicade? I always thought medicare was easy, you get old enough and you qualify. Sounds just like what I would like to see.

If you have a SSN, you are in "the Group" and cannot be declined for insurance. Let private industry come up with plans that can compete nationwide, and require them to be sold at competive rates to anyone.

No more different rates for different groups. Who you work for should not matter. No more out of network denials. No more purging of those individuals the insurance companies do not want. No more pre-existing condition denials.

I for one would like to see the entire public option go away, and to start with a few simple rule changes that favor the american citizen more than the insurance company. let us choose our own insurance plans and doctors, but force the insurance companies to play fair.

Duke_bets 4 years, 9 months ago

seeuski - Your sister should and most likely will follow up with the process. She is also smart by signing up now if she qualifies. Duke bets that social security and medicare won't be around for long. But, those on the benefits list when it expires will be grandfathered in for life.

Nice response by the way. You seem to have no rebuttle when you are wrong. That's alright, I still enjoy your posts. Although, I don't agree with most.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

You guys are a little slow. My sister was denied all on her own as she takes care of herself, some women do that you know trump. And I didn't say I don't look at these silly links I just said I didn't need to read those stories because I get that bunk from y'all. Duke, As far as the Government version of health care which you so aptly acknowledge is dying a slow death along with social security, it would be a much better program if they were run privately but financed as they currently are, through taxes. The fraud and waste is a byproduct of Government ineptitude. So no I am not looking forward to the total transfer of our system to the Bureaucrats and the SEIU, especially when we have the evidence of failure right before our eyes. Laws can be enacted to avail the American public of full coverage through the efficiency of the private sector while maintaining a firewall between us and big brother. But noooooo, you guys think it will be all wine and roses and some even think it will be free. Oh well, Que sera sera.

I have yet to hear from my sis so no updates yet as to the true availability of the current Government programs.

Sianara.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

I just got a call from sister and I am going to have a drink and calm down before I take the time to post the latest but I will say this, you'll all be sorry for what is coming your way with this Government nightmare.

Brian Kotowski 4 years, 9 months ago

Obama Approval Falls To New Low, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; U.S. Voters Oppose Health Care Plan By Wide Margin: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1295.xml?ReleaseID=1403

"American voters give President Barack Obama a split 46 - 44 percent job approval, his lowest ever, and both the health care reform package that he wants Congress to pass and his personal rating on handling health care now win support from less than four in 10 Americans, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today.

Voters disapprove 52 - 38 percent of the health care reform proposal under consideration in Congress, and they disapprove 56 - 38 percent of President Obama's handling of health care, down from 53 - 41 percent in a November 19 survey by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh- pe-ack) University."

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

After spending four hours in line with a bunch of coughing, hacking people my sister was told she needs to get the signatures of her husbands previous employers dating back 9 years to prove they were covered during the whole period. She had with her proof of insurance in the form of coverage certificates which showed all of the employer info but that was not enough even though those employers are out of business or the companies have moved on, all high tech firms, and she can't reach that threshold of requirement. I told her she may have to call her Congressman and if that does not work she may need to call the news media and shed light on the truth of Government coverage.

Sep, Harry Reid last night said to trust him I won't go into detail but the public option is not gone. http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/08/transcript-of-senator-reids-remarks/

There is a big play on words and there is no way of knowing what we will get. My guess is that the Dems will treat the trillions of dollars in new tax money they receive in the way of our contributions to the new system as extra play money similar to the failures in the Fannie/Freddie financial deficits because they can just borrow more funny money from the FED and keep the game going while our deficits grow and we have the inflation rate spiral up as has been predicted. This whole thing stinks.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

What the blank is this? 20% unemployment and Steny Hoyer says that will bring federal workers pay in line with the private sector and those Americans that are putting their lives on the line for our protection ? And you want these people to run health care? What a world we live in! Geez and to think that a Union has their hand in this. Federal employees earn 2% pay raise http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2009/12/federal_employees_earn_2_pay_r.html

And then there is this gem: "Nearly $6 million in stimulus money was paid to two firms run by Mark Penn, Hillary Clinton’s pollster in 2008." http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/71353-mark-penn-got-6-million-from-stimulus

Well little by little we can see where our stimulus went. So I guess I am spreading some more propaganda as I did earlier in calling these monies Obama's slush funds. Lets all chant, health care now-we want our free health care now. Wake up people, smell the poop before it is too late.

bigfatdog 4 years, 9 months ago

Finally....We citizens are starting to wake up!!! A real change may be coming!!! that's going to be the new bumpersticker..obama, his tax paid csars and majority of house/senate need to leave the building. Keep up the movement.

jimmmmmm 4 years, 9 months ago

Seeuski, Wish you hadn't brought a family member into such a political discussion, and hope everything works out. Sounds a lot like what many people go through with the private insurance-I know I have.

Bigfatdog-There's about 4 or 5 posters on this forum for the Tea Party movement; don't get carried away. I think it's a good thing if a third party emerges-run by the likes of Sarah Palin. That will get Obama re-elected for sure.

You guys have probably already seen this, since it is a Bill O'Reilly clip.

Duke_bets 4 years, 9 months ago

bigfatdog - I wouldn't consider Fred, Seeuski, and sledneck as a citizens wake up. If it's R, they are good with it. If it's D, they are opposed.

Steve Lewis 4 years, 9 months ago

"And you want these people to run health care?"

Obviously the reform on the table today speaks volumes about who is going to run health care - the same industry that ran it yesterday.

Some of you are against "big government". What do you think of "big industry"? How do you like those backroom deals? Some struck before health care reform even reached the first committees of Congress.

More than any grassroots, big industry is scripting health care "change". And that's why so few, on either side, like what's now offered.

sledneck 4 years, 9 months ago

Duke, You are "considering" us. And it scares you.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't know but this seems to be driving the left crazy. Palin is just ONE point below Obama in popularity, and this after the whole left wing media machine has spent millions upon millions of dollars chasing down leads in Alaska and anywhere else that they could use to bash her with all the while bowing to the anointed one and ignoring all the corruption that swirls around this POTUS. I think Palin has been vetted thoroughly now, how about taking a look at the real Barack Hussein Obama and lets start with his long form Birth Certificate at a Congressional hearing like McCain was forced to do a year and a half ago.

And jimmmmmmmmmm, Ironically while arguing back and forth here about the merits of the health care bill a controversy has arisen in my sisters life with the existing Government run health care which my sister qualifies for as a handicapped American citizen in her 60's. So I felt it to be proper to describe her situation with her blessing. She will be going back to the Social Security office yet again today this time with her husband as she became very upset 2 days ago at the insensitivity shown by the immigrant Government worker who pushed her aside with an impossible requirement to obtain the signatures of her Husband's former employers who are no longer available. I wonder if the dozens of South Americans who were in line with her were treated the same? I doubt it.

trump_suit 4 years, 9 months ago

See,

Back to your birther conspiracy I see. If you took the birth certificate that BO has posted online down to the drivers license bureau, you would walk out with a new drivers license. Combine that with the hospital records and the newspaper accounts of his birth that day and what more do you need?

What is that annual ACORN budget? Did you ever find how big/small it is?

Once again, tempest in a teapot. You and your 9/12 and Tea Party friends are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the wall hoping something sticks. It is unfortunate that your sister is experiencing difficulties with her Medicare application, I wish you and her the best. If you had a previous experience with Cancer the way I have, you would know that the private insurance companies are worse. Try being quoted health insurance to the tune of $3000 monthly, or an affordable policy that denies all converage for future cancer. I have been offered both,

Again, I am not a big fan of Gov't run health insurance, but the insurance companies need to be shaken up and there are many rule changes needed. Torte reform and cross state coverage will not change the situation that many Americans find themselves in. Namely the inability to procure health insurance even though money in not the overriding issue. I can easily afford health insurance coverage. What I cannot do is find a private company that is willing to offer it to a 20 year survivor of cancer.

Why is it that if I go get a job with Routt County, GM, IBM or microsoft I can get affordable coverage almost immediately, but working for myself or a small employer that same insurance is 4-5 times as expensive?

trump_suit 4 years, 9 months ago

PS, did you catch the mountain yesterday? Sweeeeet. Skiing is finally here :)

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

lewi, You feel that Big Government is better to run things? And the health care bill along with the stimulus bill were written by Big progressive groups funded by George Soros, ever heard of the Tides Foundation? Do you think that Congress wrote these huge bills? Looking at what was in all the bills that Obama has persued since taking office it should be clear that this stuff looks like nothing that these same old Senators and Congressmen ever wrote before, no, as Obama said " when I debate Health care I seek the advice of Andy Stern". Check out who is connected to the Tides Foundation. http://organizersforum.org/index.php?id=352 http://www.tides.org/about-us/history/index.html http://apolloalliance.org/ http://www.resistnet.com/forum/topics/teresa-heinz-kerry-george http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/funderProfile.asp?fndid=5184 http://blog.nj.com/njv_publicblog/2009/06/how_george_soros_created_obama.html

Since others feel that I should look at the links from jimmmmmmmmm, which I have, then open your eyes to what is going on through these links.

Progressives with clout at 1600 Penn. Ave

trump_suit 4 years, 9 months ago

While you are at it, check out way "C Street" and "The Family" have managed to accomplish in Uganda with the help of some of our "Conservative" Senators.

Appalling.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

trump, I have seen the close ups of the fake Certificate of live Birth, which anyone born anywhere could have gotten back then. At the same time that factcheck posted that document online over a year ago the Obama Campaign posted a document that did not match and after the tech heads online exposed it Obama removed that page from his website. Why not shut up those like me and the old Hillary Clinton for President Campaign, who started the controversy, by providing the long form Certificate which would show what Hospital and the Doctor who delivered Obama? I will bow on bended knee and beg for forgiveness if an authentic BC proves me wrong. Oh, and my sister also has had double breast cancer and for some crazy reason never had a problem with private health coverage. I am not saying there are not problems with the current system but you have changed your tune over the last couple of months. For you to say that law changes would not make a difference is disingenuous and you know it. Laws could be enacted to accommodate all Americans like you and force the private insurers to do what you ask. Why do you trust that the Government won't use the trillions of dollars that this takeover will afford them as a slush fund? The TARP money is being used that way along with the Stimulus money. Gotta go. Oh, and the answers you seek about ACORN are partly supplied in my last post through connecting the dots. That is how the Rathkes intended it to be. ACORN,SEIU,TIDES,APOLLO they are all together.

Steve Lewis 4 years, 9 months ago

Seeu, You miss my point. Dems and Reps are too busy disagreeing with each other. Much of it is debunking myths. Meanwhile big industry is having its way, to the detriment of all others.

In Health Care we've seen it all: raising taxes, abortion, (killing grandma is new), bankrupting Medicare, deficits. Isn't the overarching problem being lost in these old as the hills sore spots? Rising health care costs will cause bankruptcies in both the private and the public sector. Does this reform bill fix that? Month by month while we fight the age old fights, this reform has become less and less about controlling costs. The industry wins. We lose.

I looked at your links. The big liberal sin is in there some where? Geez, as if the right doesn't have exactly the same money funnels. Are Rush and Glenn interested in solving serious problems? Or raking your anger. The latter is much easier and more profitable. They make a mint pushing your buttons. In the end you got nothing done.

Birth Certificate? Are they solving a problem or raking your anger?

So much wasted time.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

It is not wasted time if you see things Independently and fair. Do I believe Rush and Beck care about our future freedoms and Democracy? Yes, absolutely. I see some hope for the near term in the polling data and am praying that the Conservative mainstream of America does stand up to the Progressive agenda that is being pursued by Obama, the Dems and a few Republicans. And as far as debunking myths, you make a bold statement for someone who has no idea what is in the health care bills as the abortion issue was just voted on and the Dems won that one, it's in the bill. And if don't think rationing is in the works when this bill calls for a board in DC picked by Obama to decide who gets what benefits than you are kidding yourself, but not me. My sister being denied her rightful Medicare is a form of rationing. Most people in her shoes are powerless to do anything against the machine. Rising health care costs? Adding 20 million illegals to the benefit roles, does that add to the rising costs? How about the $400 billion dollars in fraud and waste that Obama admitted to in Medicare does that add to the rising costs? Turning over the whole system to the Bureaucrats, will that add to or subtract from the rising costs? How about an honest answer on this one, huh? I don't need anyone to rake my anger for me, I am a conservative and what is being done to this country by the left is a possible death blow to our way of life and future of this great country. Yea I am angry, the truth can't all be hidden by the Opaqueness of Obama's governance. So much for his promise of transparency.

Now I am going to read up some on c street and I'll be back.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

The Family members from both sides of the aisle.

Current Elected Officials

* Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas
* Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla.
* Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wy.
* Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa
* Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla.
* Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla.
* Sen. Mark Pryor, D-Ark.
* Rep. Mike McIntyre, D-N.C.
* Rep. Joe Pitts, R-Penn.
* Rep. Heath Shuler, D-N.C.
* Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich.
* Rep. Zach Wamp, R-Tenn.
* Rep. Frank Wolf, R-Va.

Other Notable Members

* Gov. Mark Sanford, R-S.C. – caught visiting mistress in Argentina.
* Rep. Chuck Pickering, R-Miss. – had sex with mistress at C Street house.
* Chuck Colson – Watergate felon.
* Late Sen. Strom Thurmond, R-S.C. – provided classified documents to cult leaders.
* Late Sen. Absalom Robertson, Dixiecrat-Va. – father of televangelist Pat Robertson

So trump, what does this diversionary tactic of yours have to do with Obama and health care? Great job though.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

So trump, Since you want to go down this road here is some info for ya. Obama's #1 guy, Axelrod, says the following book is the blue print for the progressives agenda and winning the arguments for their movement.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world/stand-up-straight-author-robert-creamer-invited-to-white-house_100286233.html http://biggovernment.com/2009/12/07/was-democrats-health-care-strategy-written-in-federal-prison/ http://the-classic-liberal.com/progressive-agenda-for-structural-change-stand-up-straight/

I think this guy has more to do with things in the White House than what you misdirected us towards with c-street.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

Here google this and see what you get.

axelrod boasts creamers stand up straight

Duke_bets 4 years, 9 months ago

seeuski - I have not thrown a dart at your English skills lately. The improper use of the word 'nothing' just made my day and supports your arguments well.

Chuck McConnell 4 years, 9 months ago

Wow, out come the pseudointellectuals who critize other's language nuances and have nothing but poorly founded, emotional, progressive wants. Isn't it likely none of the progressive contributors have ever had a real job, paid significant taxes or understand the outcome of unchecked federal spending and its diminution of the value of the dollar? $100 trillion US banknotes anyone? Zimbabwe here we come!

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

My response to dukey was: "And last but not least my Duke friend, I have no need to rebut nothing. Why try to prove a negative?"

The meaning which the word "nothing" was meant to convey to dukey was that he presented nothing.

So I will rephrase it for him so he better understands my response.

I have no need rebut something that was never presented or something that has no useful debatable value. So in other words I have no need to rebut, NOTHINGNESS. But that is all dukey can do is use the Alinsky/Creamer method when facts are against them.

sledneck 4 years, 9 months ago

On the bright side, our real estate will appreciate. And a $20 gallon of gas is certain to get more people on the bus! But $700 groceries are gonna suck.

Inflation is the most insidious way a government robs its people.

JLM 4 years, 9 months ago

Like everything that government does, it is the matter of proportion which is important.

A pinch of government makes the soup more savory while a handful ruins it.

Luckily, the mid-term elections are just about here and we will have a chance to clean house of both parties.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

The coming election day in Nov 2010 will be the most anticipated in my lifetime. Pulling the plug on Marxism while pulling the voting lever. Yes.

JLM 4 years, 9 months ago

The next elections will ultimately be the test of 2008 campaign rhetoric v reality as nothing and I mean NOTHING that Candidate Obama has promised has become reality under President Obama.

There will not be much positive change between today and Nov 2010 and there may be a bit of economic worsening.

The NJ and VA gubernatorial elections will be quite instructive.

Brian Kotowski 4 years, 9 months ago

Next year's elections will be significant only if the GOP grows a spine, and re-embraces its fiscal conservative core. Simple obstructionism to an increasingly unpopular agenda may win them short term gains, but they'll have to actually DO something with whatever advantage is accrued.

Steve Lewis writes: "Dems and Reps are too busy disagreeing with each other." At the risk of extrapolating more than you intend, disagreement=partisanship, and I don't have a problem with it. Some of our biggest gains have resulted from partisans digging in their heels. If Lincoln hadn't stuck to his guns, the Obamas might be picking cotton today. If LBJ had been forced to back down, Rosa Parks' audacity would have been meaningless. If Reagan hadn't held firm, the Soviet Union might still exist. If Gingrich had been less partisan, Clinton would never have been dragged kicking & screaming into welfare reform.

It revolves around what you think is worth fighting for. The debt, regulation, economic damage, and contraction of personal liberties resulting from what Obama/Reid/Pelosi wish to inflict couldn't be more deserving of a line in the sand - and I hope the GOP does everything in its power to force the Dems into retreat.

trump_suit 4 years, 9 months ago

The GOP's spine is called the "Tea Party" and stands just as much chance of alienating the moderates as the left does.

This forum has become a whos who of the Right in this county and it seems that the name calling and attacks have driven off most of the Left leaning posters.

You can attack the messenger, you can attack the plans but when individuals are behind the curtain and pull those levers, you can be sure that your name calling and attacks will not be the deciding factor.

2010 is a loooong ways off in terms of the political arena, and you are falling into the classic mistake of counting your chickens before the eggs are hatched.

Instead of the constant attacks and politics of division, maybe what we really need is to listen to one another and possibly moderate our postions just a little.

Brian Kotowski 4 years, 9 months ago

Hmm. I've not engaged in any "name calling" here. The lefty media, on the other hand... "tea-baggers", anyone? I'm too lazy to find it, but that label has been applied by at least one lefty member of this forum to the "whos who of the Right in this county". I guess "name calling" is only objectionable when one's own personal polity is being ridiculed and denigrated. Pornographic references? Fine and dandy, so long as they're aimed at conservatives.

My diagnosis of what presently ails the liberal left is its belief that Obama's election heralded America's desire to embrace liberal lefty ideology. Wrong. ’08 was a repudiation of Bush. The left opposed the war; conservatives & independents were infuriated with W & his GOP’s profligate spending. Obama’s empty, fill-in-the-blank rhetoric provided an opportunity to wipe the slate clean, and clear a symbolic racial hurdle in the bargain.

The more people learn about DemSpend, the less popular the brand becomes. Obama’s job approval numbers after a year in office are now lower than W’s, Clinton’s, Bush 41’s, Carter’s, & Nixon’s were after their first years. Pelosi’s & Reid’s numbers are lower (nationally) now than W’s ever were.

As far as "alienating the moderates" is concerned, I utterly reject the premise. McCain was the prototype for what many on your side of the aisle have proposed as the GOP savior: the fabled moderate RINO – reach across the aisle, compromising, conservative principles be damned – and he got his head handed to him. The only time the polls showed him with a lead during the campaign was when he selected a conservative as his running mate.

Question: from Goldwater on, when has conservatism been the most successful? Answer: during the 80’s with Reagan, and the 90’s with Gingrich. When conservatives run unabashedly AS conservatives, they win. Moderation is for monks.

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

I am heartened by the number of "moderate" dems that I have run into lately who are expressing regret in the Obama vote they made. Yea trump, we may sound to you like we are counting our chickens but I can assure you I am not. And yea it would be nice for your side to moderate and listen to the growing majority and slow down this Marxist move we are witnessing by the more and more unpopular POTUS and his merry czars. If that is the name calling you are referring to well woopy, just callin it as I see it.

Brian Kotowski 4 years, 9 months ago

Well, it appears the Pilot's new format includes an improved search engine - it wasn't at all difficult to identify Scott Wedel as the guy throwing the 'tea bagger' slur around: http://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/2009/sep/13/gary_hofmeister_tipping_point_are_we_there/#c64328 You were part of that discussion, trump_suit. Interesting how Scott's appellation didn't seem to trigger your sensitivity to "name calling".

trump_suit 4 years, 9 months ago

SEP,

If you use the same search engine on the pilot you will find that I have often called for civility on these forums and have rarely engaged in personal attacks. My viewpoint on this has been consistent for the entire time that I have been posting.

I have also apologized several times to those I have offended. While my opinions may or may not agree with yours, I will try to engage in a intellectual debate that does not include personal attacks or making fun of your beliefs.

I am not sure either, but I think it was the early/original Tea Party organizers that called themselves "tea baggers". The left media then ran with it and it sort of stuck.

Brian Kotowski 4 years, 9 months ago

trump_suit -

You write: "I think it was the early/original Tea Party organizers that called themselves "tea baggers".

I have to say that I find that more than a little insulting. As a tea partier myself, I can assure you it did not originate with us. It started on liberal blogs, where it was picked up by the MSM - notably MSNBC & CNN talking heads because they found it so amusingly appropriate.

For those unaware of what the hubbub's about, here you go (WARNING - neither link is safe for work or kids. Unless, of course you're a supporter of Kevin Jennings, the President's "Safe School Czar": http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/dec/09/obamas-risky-sex-czar/ ): http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tea%20bagger

seeuski 4 years, 9 months ago

I just find trumps claims so disingenuous on this name calling whine that it is not worth a whole lotta time but good retort sep, I think you put a dagger in it. What I have found is that the name calling we have endured from the left is an attempt to change the course of discussions that are losers for them. The polls are bearing out the truth about Obama and the merry czars.

trump_suit 4 years, 9 months ago

When I googled "first tea bagger reference" I came up with the following links: (I left out the Huffington post and other clearly left publications)

Thats enough for now. It does appear that the "Tea Bagger" reference was actually started by the leaders of the Tea party, and started with the call to send a tea bag to the white house as a symbol of protest against higher taxes. Once started, the media jumped on the sexual reference conotation and it became the deragatory reference that it is today. Bottom line is that well meaning Tea Party organizers started this particular moniker without comprehending all of the consequences of that particular name. It was intended to make connection with the original Boston Tea Party.

What the media has done with it may offend many and is clearly inappropriate, (Especially by the commentators at MSNBC). However, the name started with the original organizers. Name calling is not new to either side, and I for one would like to see a return to the days of more civil discussion and argument.

Brian Kotowski 4 years, 9 months ago

Despite your attempt at cherry picking, you're making my point, not yours. Did you even bother to read the Wiki article? Or the Nordlinger piece? - "Some on the right are using "teabagger," but mainly the word is a putdown from the left. " No, you probably zoned in on the The Loaded Orygun (there's a renowned bastion of journalism) "analaysis", which begins (very 1st sentence) by calling tea partiers "dupes". No axe to grind there. And so much for your aversion to "name calling."

You're right: that's enough for now. Especially since you appear unable to discuss it honestly, and only with hypocritical disregard for your own stated standards of what constitutes "civil discussion."

Duke_bets 4 years, 8 months ago

seeuski - How is the left losing? Attempting to restructure / rebuild what GW blew up over 8 years..........That will take time.

seeuski 4 years, 8 months ago

Spend us into oblivion Duke that will work for sure. Spread the wealth around that will work for sure. Nationalize and Socialize that will work for sure. Raise the debt ceiling so your children have no future that will work too. It's all George Bush's fault that will make you feel good for sure. Merry Christmas if you celebrate it. Now that health care is passed I will be waiting for the happy tales of how we are all finally safe from the big bad health insurers. And "fundamentally changing" this country from a free market system to a Marxist/Fascist centrally controlled nationalist dictatorship is not going to be the euphoria you hope for. Here's to your dreams of "hope and change". NOT!!!