Steamboat Springs Police Department officers Stuart Hutton and Nick Moore investigate an accident involving a bicycle colliding with a car Monday.

Photo by Matt Stensland

Cyclist collides with car, has minor injuries

59-year-old woman OK after accident Monday

— Steamboat Springs Police Department officers Stuart Hutton and Nick Moore investigated a bicycle versus vehicle accident near Hilltop Parkway and South Lincoln Avenue, where a 59-year-old female cyclist sustained minor injuries to her face and arm Monday afternoon.

Hutton said it appeared the woman was riding east on a path on the north side of South Lincoln Avenue at about 4 p.m. Monday when she collided with a car that was pulling out of a business driveway. The driver was turning right and said she didn't see the cyclist, Hutton said.

The collision caused some damage to the bicycle and no damage to the car, he said. Officers cited the driver for failing to yield, a traffic violation, he said. Both the driver and the cyclist said they were traveling slowly at the time of the collision, Hutton said. The incident was under investigation as of Monday evening.

According to radio communications between medical crews and Routt County Communications dispatchers, the female cyclist was wearing a helmet. Medical crews transported the woman to Yampa Valley Medical Center.

Comments

dave fisher 4 years, 7 months ago

here's a great exmple of a misleading headline followed by a story that contradicts the lead-in... again.

"a bicycle versus vehicle accident" that's just great. create more acrimony and conflict on the roads and fuel the "us versus them" attitudes even further (cuts both ways, doesn't it- cyclists and motorists?). note to editorial staff: it's not about "bicycle versus vehicle" which is just another way for you to fan the flames of the "us versus them" mentality. it's about safety and awareness and sharing the road with others who are going about their business. what don't you people understand about that? why do you frame it differently?

"she collided with a car that was pulling out of a business driveway. The driver was turning right and said she didn't see the cyclist..." i wasn't there, but i would wager at least $1 that the driver didn't bother to stop for one second and look before she mashed the accelerator. it doesn't seem likely that this accident would have happened if the driver had taken the time to use all of her senses and yielded to traffic that had the right-of-way. it's inevitable, given that situation, that the cyclist "collided with the car", even though the motorist was clearly at fault. probably a good thing it wasn't a loaded semi that "collided with the car", eh?

every time i have ever been hit by a motorist (three), their excuse has always been exactly the same as this woman's: "i didn't see the cyclist". those people should not be operating a motor vehicle, as they are obviously lacking the awareness to do so in a manner that is safe for other legitimate users of the roads and themselves as well. revoke their licences to operate a motor vehicle before they maim or kill others.

"Officers cited the driver for failing to yield, a traffic violation..." you see? it wasn't the cyclist's fault at all- contrary to what the headline seems to imply, and the police seem to concur. what is the motorists name? how old is she? she got a ticket, so print it.

"the female cyclist was wearing a helmet." ah, yes. and finally, the irrelevant red herring. what does it matter if she was wearing a helmet or not? was she wearing street clothes or was she suited up for a sporty ride? if she wasn't wearing a helmet, would the accident have been considered the cyclist's fault instead? what was the motorist wearing? the Pilot could do better and report these things accurately and without sensationalism. just sayin'.

Fred Duckels 4 years, 7 months ago

Last year a car hit a cyclist but the car was not at fault, the cyclist was not cited. Has a cyclist ever been cited?

dave fisher 4 years, 7 months ago

more examples of the same from the Pilot:

motorist runs down a cyclist and now it's called a "bicycle accident" ? sickening.

how about a follow-up to this one, Pilot? how is Wayne doing after Katherine Whaley almost killed him? what sentence did she receive for her role in the accident? is it true that she didn't get out of her vehicle afterwards to aid a seriously injured human being? she was using her cell phone at the time? wow...

Jeff Snook 4 years, 7 months ago

What lies are being told? clarification please

Jeff Snook 4 years, 7 months ago

The bike struck the vehicle not the other way around. The police call it a cyclist versus a vehicle just like they would if it was a pedestrian. Pedestrian versus a vehicle. Its not meant to put blame on any one party. Unfortuntaly it is the job off the paper to get you to read the article so they come up with a catchy headline. I think the reason why they stated the cyclist was wearing a helmet because people always want to know if they were wearing one. I am glad she is okay.

Jeff Snook 4 years, 7 months ago

Actually the bike hit the car because the car pulled out in front of the bike. The facts are there. It was the cars fault no doubt. LTFO??

la_opinion8rix 4 years, 7 months ago

I remember well the class dedicated to 'Slanting the Story' while I was getting my degree in journalism. We re-wrote stories and headlines from the same facts but which would give an entirely different feel to the story. "Cyclist Collides with Car' gives a much different first impression than 'Car Collides with Cyclist".

Most of the Pilot stories involving Cyclists and cars ARE slanted to indicate cyclist fault.

Matt Helm 4 years, 7 months ago

I am, as most cyclists are, a driver as well. I have found that bad drivers make even worse cyclists. Bottom line is: when you are riding a bike pay attention to everything like your life depends on it.... because it just might! There is no "us and them". Just using common sense and paying attention to detail goes a long way, but I know it's hard for a lot of people. Just remember that education is an ongoing process that should never end for anyone.

la_opinion8rix 4 years, 7 months ago

The headline reads 'Cyclist collides with car, Has minor injuries' (45 Characters w/ Spaces. And really,,, Who was injured? The Car?

Or try this: Auto Causes Minor Injuries to Cyclist (37 Characters) Car Injures Cyclist (19 Characters) Cyclist Injured, Motorist Cited (32 Characters)

All these headlines use fewer characters (leaving more space for Advertising) and are more accurate in cause and result.

Jeff Snook 4 years, 7 months ago

I drive, I bike and I have a motorcycle. All from Stagecoach. I treat all 3 forms of transportation the same. I watch out for everyone else because you never know. No one is perfect, human error accidents are avoidable. We must look out for everyone, it is that simple.

Jeff Snook 4 years, 7 months ago

I am not trying to defend the pilot but how is the current headline not accurate??

Matt Helm 4 years, 7 months ago

I agree with you Snook... I always prepare for the unexpected in any situation driving, biking, kayaking, snowboarding/skiing, etc... Driving from Stagecoach in the winter is an adventure in itself, huh! I love living out there just to get away from the "craziness" of the boat.

For everyone else... the headlines are meant to be controversial to catch the readers attention and cause heated discussions on here. Don't be mad at the paper for that!

fartpark 4 years, 7 months ago

Dave Fisher is obviously one of our communities cyclists who thinks he owns the road, and that any type of bike/car altercation is always the car drivers fault. Thanks for the great comment Fred Duckles, you hit the nail right on the head!!! Have any of our bicycle riders ever noticed that when you pass a motorcycle 99% of them have their headlight on? The reason for this is to help other drivers see them because they realize that their motorcycle is relatively small, and sometimes difficult to see. Maybe it would be wise to make an effort to make yourselves easier to see while on your bicycles.

bubba 4 years, 7 months ago

Actually fartpark, motorcycles headlights are not on because motorcyclists are smarter than bicyclists, it is because motorcycle manufacturers wire the headlight to the ignition- if your bike has a headlight, the headlight is on when the bike is running unless it's broken or disabled intentionally.

Jeff Snook 4 years, 7 months ago

so the manufacturers are smarter than the cyclists

seeuski 4 years, 7 months ago

Some times you can be DEAD right but DEAD just the same. Everyone has a moment of unintentional inattention now and then so when I'm out on the bike I take responsibility for my own safety, because I don't want to be splatted. A warning to all, watch out for the red light runners, especially at Walton Creek and 40. I almost died there several years ago when a tractor trailer carrying a load of pigs heading east ran the light at high speed as I entered the crosswalk. It was a good 2 seconds after I got the go sign.

Scott Wedel 4 years, 7 months ago

The article clearly said the driver was cited so how is the article slanted against cyclists?

It is my understanding that most bicycle and vehicle accidents are the bicycle hitting the car because of the car pulling in front of the bicycle. And that most accidents are the driver's fault (because it is easy to not see a bicyclist), but there are a good number of accidents that are the bicyclist's fault because some bicyclists habitually ignore stop signs and so on.

Malcolm_Reynolds 4 years, 7 months ago

As a motorcyclist & bicyclist, I have always followed that gross (vehicle) weight always rules. On a cycle of any form you must be aware of things larger than you, be it deer or motor vehicle.

dave reynolds 4 years, 7 months ago

Monday..I had to take my wife to the ER with heart problems..it was between 4:30 and 5:00.high traffic..I had my flashers on and was honking my horn to let people know I had an emergency..well a cyclist was riding in the middle of the road I did yell at him to get out of the way was I polite I don't recall due to circumstances but all he gave me was the finger...it took me at least 4 minutes to get around this meatball could have cost my wife her life..so cyclists and drivers we all need to respect each other and stop thinking its all about us..for Gods sake please pay attention and be safe

Kevin Nerney 4 years, 7 months ago

Vehicle A was sitting at a red light. Vehicle B slams into the rear end of vehicle A. Vehicle B is at fault. You must maintain control of you're vehicle at all times. If this went to court the judge would use the Police report wording as evidence and vehicle B would be guilty. In the case above, the wording says cyclist hits car. A bicycle is a vehicle and therefore must maintain control at all times. If the PD worded it incorrectly in a real town the summons would get thrown out. Ask any lawyer worth his salt.

la_opinion8rix 4 years, 7 months ago

Everyone has a story about cyclists and motorists:

But back to Dave Fisher's original post. He's saying that the Pilot uses headlines that indicate cyclist fault. And I believe he is correct. The Pilot headlines involving cyclist/motorist accidents give fuel to the person who is anti-cyclist, and/or does not read the article.

The headlines are not incorrect, but they are not clear, either. They do not summarize the story correctly. Headlines give character to a newspaper. It's the difference between The Inquirer and the New York Times. The Pilot is stooping to rag-level publication by consistently underplaying the tragic effect that motorists have on cyclists.

The Pilot, being a newspaper in a cycling community, could do a better job to level the playing field. Their headlines should be more accurate to the story. That headline could have read "Cyclist Injured, Motorist Cited". Nothing incorrect about that, and it summarizes the story better.

Lee Cox 4 years, 7 months ago

The real issue is that the bicyclist was approaching from the driver's right, technically riding on the wrong side of the road. Drivers do not look right when turning right, because the traffic is coming from the left. As a bicyclist, I have been involved in the same kind of accident while on a bike path. As a driver, I have almost hit a bicyclist that was on the wrong side of the road. The moral is three-fold: 1) As a bicyclist - if you are approaching a car from its right side while they are preparing to turn right, you need to BE VERY CAREFUL! 2) As a driver, you need to be aware of bike paths and sidewalks frequented by bikes, and look both ways at those intersections. 3) as a bicyclist - NEVER ride on the Left side of the street (which I see quite often).

cheesehead 4 years, 7 months ago

Thank you Lee. I was curiuos how traffic on the north side of the street could be traveling east bound. I've found it can be a bit confusing who has the right of way when a bike path dumps out into a street. You're right, every one needs to keep an eye out for eachother.

Stan Zuber 4 years, 7 months ago

mtroach 4 years, 7 months ago

"Maybe cyclists need to wear orange vests, like the hunters do. They are a slow moving vehicle for most part and and should have some warning signs, such as a tractor or Amish buggy going down the highway."

Maybe drivers should slow down, and obey the rules of the road. I'm still seeing drivers blowing through red lights every time I'm waiting for mine to turn green, and any time I'm "only" going the speed limit someone is tailgating me.

Stan Zuber 4 years, 7 months ago

There is no doubt there are some incompetant drivers on both sides of this issue. My comment was made for the people that do care. Bottom line is sharing the road safely, and as it has been mentioned before, by having a little respect for each other.

jk 4 years, 7 months ago

Roach, You are the reason that people are sick and tired of dealing with self-entitled cyclists on the roads. You have been offered several ways to help your cause yet you keep coming up sluffing off your responsibility and pointing your little finger every way but at yourself!! Maybe cyclists should speed up and obey the rules of the road. I'm still seeing cyclists circumnavigating red lights, or stop signs every time I'm waiting for my right of way, and anytime I'm trying to go the speed limit it seems they are riding three wide and offering me a finger gesture as I try to safely pass. Hopefully you get my point about this being a two way street. We all need to help in this effort, it doesn't do anyone any good to point fingers.

mtroach 4 years, 7 months ago

jk, are pointing a finger at me telling me not to point fingers?

Let's do the math and figure out if there are more cyclists disobeying the laws and endangering fellow road users, or motorists disobeying the laws and endangering road users. I come in and point fingers at the motorists because I see more drivers in cars tailgating, texting and speeding through red lights than I see cyclists on the road. Either way both groups should be cited by law enforcement for disobeying the laws of the road, and I feel that's the way to get safer roads.

I fully admit there are cyclists out disobeying the laws and I want to stop and correct the behavior of my fellow cyclists when I see them riding the wrong way on a busy street, or blowing a stop sign, much the same way i wanted to follow the driver of the black Mercury Mountaneer the Whiteman student (female) was driving just off my bumper friday afternoon while I was stuck behind a dump truck going only 40 (in a 35) up Strawberry park road and tell the driver and her three friends that speeding and tailgating on a rural county road was not only rude, but dangerous, especally while bunched up behind a fully loaded dump truck. But I don't enforce the laws of the road, that's the sherriff's responsibility. I simply slowed to the speed limit, and tried to show proper road manners to the unaware teens.

Jeff Snook 4 years, 7 months ago

How about this? Because our State/County and City police can not be everywhere at once. If you come across a vehicle or bicyclist or anyone breaking the law, call the police. It does not have to be 911. It can be the non-emergency # to atleast make a report. That is okay to do. In fact the police would be happy that our community is taking an interest in other peoples safety because ultimately, that is what this is about, correct. Now, I am going to ride my bike home so please watch out for me. I am the fat guy in tights because I need all the help I can.

jk 4 years, 7 months ago

Roach I am sorry to call you out but come on, today I saw a man talking on a cell phone, riding a bike, pulling a kid hauler, he was deciding if he should run the light or take the path!!! Not only is he endangering his own life, but the life of a kid too. So now this idiot makes a bad decision and someone hits him killing his passenger, or worse both of them, and that persons life is ruined because they were in the larger vehicle unable to avoid the accident?? You talk about rechecking licensed drivers, yet any idiot can hop on a bike and ride to his hearts content. They don't have to pass any type of course to go out and cause the trouble they do, nor do they pay any type of fee to license their form of transportation. As I have said before every other person who drives, or rides, a motorcycle, scooter, boat, personal watercraft, atv, or snowmobile pays a fee. Not to mention the licensing fee for the trailer that hauls them. It is about time the cycling community starts to put up a little and stops expecting everyone to hand them things on a silver platter. You have your foot in the door, most everyone is looking out for you, now step up to the plate and take some responsibility for yourselves and throw something into the kitty!!

upstream 4 years, 7 months ago

JK- what continues to impress me in all the posts you've made over the years on issues regarding cyclists is how freaking often you get flipped off! I have been driving for several decades and have never, not even once, been flipped off by a cyclist. And incidentally, I do pay taxes that are used to pave the roads and as a full blooded American ("idiot", in your bigoted eyes I suppose) I believe I am just as entitled (yes entitled) to use that pavement on my bicycle as in my car. Your generally hateful and intolerant tone is sickening. Hmmm...maybe there is a reason you get flipped off so freaking often...just a thought.

jk 4 years, 7 months ago

upstream, Is your bicycle licensed, did you have to take a test to be allowed to use it on the road? Why not?? So in my opinion no You are not entitled to ride your bike on the road until you pay the same licensing fees as the people who have to haul their trailers down the road. The people who have to pay to license their motorcycles,scooters, boats,pwc,or snowmobiles. Ok now in the almost one year I have been posting about this issue I have been shown the bird twice by cyclists. That is equal to the times it has been flown in my direction in my 25+ years of driving! I never said you were an idiot anywhere, unless you were the guy riding his bike with the kid hauler attached while talking on his cell phone. And if that was you then yes you are an Idiot!

mtroach 4 years, 7 months ago

jk, you don't see drivers flipping you off 'cause they hiding in their cars. I support your licencing approach but I want all road users to have to re-licence/test as well. Make everyone retest every five years to prove we all know and understand the laws of the road(like a CDL). Make driving a privilege ,and not a right. Take away licence of DUI, and other drivers that cannot obey the laws of the road, forever. As well as their ability to own an auto. Make stiffer laws to prevent unauthorized users from gaining access to roads. The DMV will become a day long nightmare for everyone, but the roads will be safer. Kids will be forced off their bikes and get fat 'cause they can't ride to school, and once they aren't riding as kids they will not ride as adults, keeping the roads clear for those of us that can obey the rules of the road, pass the test every five years and stay out of trouble. It'll also drive up the cost of every service that uses the roads as less of the population has the ability to move freely about our town. But it'll also free the USA from Saudi oil, and the dependance on foreign energy. Start the petition. Where do I sign?

JusWondering 4 years, 7 months ago

Mtroach.... your comment succinctly illustrates the problem.
JK summarization - cyclists pay a use tax like ATV, snowmobile, vehicle, etc. Take a rules of the road test.

Mtroach - if I have to take a test once or pay a use tax motorists should be held to an even higher standard than they are today... and then some rant linking it to Saudi oil and fat kids????? Ummm, if you can spend $2-5k on a bike, $300 on a nice outfit, etc I think you can afford $35 to register your bike like I do on my ATV.

If a motorist should have to qualify to use the roads perhaps so should a cyclists... perhaps the same rules should apply: DUI on bike - lose it forever Moving violations - lose riding privileges "Make stiffer laws for unauthorized users..." perhaps that should include the two wheeled pedal powered ones as well.

You compare a kid riding his bike down the street to school to the inconsiderate individuals on RCR 14? Really?

Regardless of how long ago it was, every driver did have to take both a written and driving test. A cyclist hops on a bike at age 4 and is turned loose on the highways.

Being a cyclist, I cannot tell you the number of fellow riders I see breaking even the most common sense laws and honestly some of it is purely ignorance... testing does not seem too far out of the question.

mtroach 4 years, 7 months ago

I approve of stiffer penaltes for all road users, Cyclists included. I obey the laws when driving my truck, and riding my bike, and am sick of those that don't. Motorists should be held to a higher standard because of the greater potential threat to public safety the auto has over the bicycle. A local resident wasn't killed recently by an innattentive bike rider. I did not compair kids on bikes to anyone, I said that licencing would restrict kids from riding and potentially take away a good sourse of excersize for this countries fat youngin's. Do you know a lot of 4-years olds out riding on the highways?

Jax Larsen 4 years, 7 months ago

Everyone, just pay attention to your surroundings at all times and think SAFETY FIRST. I really don't care if I get home 5 or 10 minutes later than I want. No injuries to anyone and no fatalities. Let's all slow down. Let's all pay attention. -from a Riverbend resident present when a standing pedestrian, Lorna, paid the price for speed and inattention. Be SAFE everyone.