Local Taxpayer Tea Party is today

Routt County citizens plan protest of federal spending, tax plans

— Local citizens fed up with government spending, growth and tax policy are planning to rally today on the Routt County Courthouse lawn.

The Taxpayer Tea Party in Steamboat Springs, slated for noon to 1 p.m., will be the local manifestation of a nationwide protest scheduled for Tax Day. Americans for Prosperity, an economic advocacy group that promotes "a return of the federal government to its Constitutional limits," is supporting Taxpayer Tea Party events across the country as a response to federal stimulus plans and economic recovery measures proposed by Congress and the administration of President Barack Obama.

Jennifer Schubert-Akin, former chairwoman of the Routt County Republican Central Committee, is organizing the local event and said Obama's $3.5 trillion budget plan is "just an insane amount of money that we can't possibly pay for : without raising taxes across the board."

Schubert-Akin also disagreed in principle with federal stimulus efforts to pull the U.S. out of the recession. Obama signed the $787 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act into law in February.

"You never grow the economy by expanding government - that's never worked one time it's been tried," Schubert-Akin said. "Government can't grow our way out of a recession - it's got to come from spurring the private sector and letting the private sector keep more of its money for investment and hiring."

Schubert-Akin said today's event will feature recorded messages, tailored specially for Steamboat, from Stephen Moore, of the Wall Street Journal's editorial board, and Chris Edwards, of The Cato Institute. Edwards is director of tax policy studies for the institute, which promotes limited government and the free market system.

Schubert-Akin said today's event also will feature local speakers - "No politicians; this is just the regular folk," she said - including Buck Buckland, of Steamboat.

"These bailouts and stimulus proposals that have come around in the last two to three months, you know. : It all ends up in the end that people are going to pay for all the bailouts and trillions of dollars that are being proposed for different things," said Buckland, 76. "In my lifetime, it may not affect me that much. But for my sons and grandchildren, especially the grandchildren, it's going to be a killer."

Schubert-Akin said today's event is nonpartisan and not associated with any local political party.

"We want everybody who feels our taxes are too high and our government is too big" to attend, she said. "I'm looking for enthusiasm, for people who are really engaged in this - I'm also hoping that when people leave, they will be energized and ready to contact their elected officials to express their opinions. : I'm hoping this will spur people to get active. It's great to show up at a rally, but we've got to do something beyond that."

Comments

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 5 months ago

Only 1hr for a Tea Party? And recorded messages tailored specially to Steamboat? Is that kind of like those children's videos where you send in a picture of your kid and they cut & paste it into the video and overdub their name in "specially" placed spots? LOL!

"Hi,..."Steamboat!" It's Tax Tea Party Day and the people of..."Steamboat"...are mad as hell & not going to take it anymore. As a member of the..."Steamboat"...party, this transcends even party lines in..."Steamboat"... that members of every political party, not just the..."Steamboat"...party think this is a worthy cause."

Just make sure those Tax Day T-Shirts are made in the USA. Do the tags say, "Gildian" whose corporate office is in...CANADA???? Where were the Tax Day Party favors made...CHINA???

I'm goin' to work.

seeuski 5 years, 5 months ago

This obviously is real funny to you two. As far as where was the anger under Bush, why do you think alot of Republicans and independants voted in a Dem Congree and Senate in 2006 and Obama in November? Eventually you will stop blaming Bush everything that happens and for the work of the existing tax and spend Liberals who, as Obama said yesterday, want to spend our way out of this recession. he said quote, everybody knows you don't decrease spending in a recession unquote. Are you kidding me? It has never worked in the history of the USA and it won't work now. The TARP money that has already been spent is gone baby gone and much of it to places like ACORN and CEO bonuses and pet pork projects. Nothing to do with stimulus and to no benefit to the people who will end up paying these tax bills down the road, you and me and the future earners. Yea you can make fun of this situation but one thing is certain, there are not just Republicans at the Nationwide Tea Parties today. These are people from all sides who care about the future of this country. How funny is that guys?

Fred Duckels 5 years, 5 months ago

What's all the fuss, O promised to save and invest, the only catch is where the plus and minus signs are. See you down there!

conservative 5 years, 5 months ago

Snowbow & Matt....you may think this is all about trivial matters...buy American and the such, but please let me educate you on some of the truths surrounding us today in Colorado let alone the USA.

Did you know: Colorado is $800 million in debt? Did you know our elected representative, republican mind you, Al White spearheaded the great idea of dipping into your workman's compensation reserves with Pinnacol? Did you know that a bill was passed in Denver on Monday to allow restructuring of Pinnacol and the theft of $500 million of your workman's compensation reserves will be taken to help pay down the debt of Colorado? Did you know this restructuring will allow the state to take over Pinnacol, they will go out of business, and the projected increase in your workman's comp premiums will rise by 40%? Is this ok with you?

Did you know: Colorado is spearheading the Colorado Guaranteed Health Care Act HB 09-1273 and wants to be the leader in nationalized healthcare. Did you know that by 2010 your state income tax level will rise from 4.6% to 8.1% to pay for this public healthcare? Did you know that your state income tax will increase to 12% by 2020 to pay for this public healthcare? That is if they didn't underestimate by too much. Businesses will see an increase by 6%. So on average if you make $100,000 you will inevitiably be paying $12,000 a year for your new public healthcare, and if you are a business owner, you can add 6% to your state income taxes on top of what you will pay individually. What about your wife & kids? We do not know....maybe Medicaid or SCHIP will cover them, it is not mentioned in the bill. Did you know you will be required to pay & participate and that 38% of Coloradans are illegals and yes, you will help pay for them too.

So...Matt & Snowbow....do you still believe you are safe in this madness? It is inevitiable that our federal taxes will also rise to pay for all of these great ideas being thrown out there.

So in reality, every one of us will be taxed via increased income tax, sales tax, cigarette tax, snack tax, federal tax, SCHIP tax, workman's comp increases, and I could go on & on....but, I have to get to the tea party, call my elected representatives who are not listening, and try and save what is left of my employment.

See you at the tea party Matt & Snowbow!! May God bless you always and help you see the truth.

dave mcirvin 5 years, 5 months ago

for our given opportunities and for what we receive, our tax system is an absolute bargain.

Angie Robinson 5 years, 5 months ago

I sure wish it would've laster longer than a hour. It was great to see people gather together for a common interest. I thought the women who spoke, who had the son serving in Afganistan, was great. She was fired up - as a lot of us are who's voices don't get heard. Whether you agree with the reasons or not - it's our right and our duty as Americans to stand up for what we believe in. I think it was a great peaceful protest!

conservative 5 years, 5 months ago

YES....GOOD NEWS IN COLORADO TODAY.... The House defeated the 2 bills to steal $500 million from Pinnacol!!
Today...I thank God for protesters who care enough to save thousands of jobs in Colorado and keep your premiums from going through the roof...we owe them (Republican & Democrat both) in the House a BIG Thank you today....YES!!!

Now we can focus on stopping HB 09-1273 from going any further and give us better solutions to the healthcare crisis than spending more money than we all do right now in the private sector by sneaking it in through state taxation!! PS....I had a blast being a conservative extremist at the Steamboat tea party today...thanks for a great time!!

seeuski 5 years, 5 months ago

It was heartwarming and comforting to see so many other concerned Americans out in force. God Bless Carols son in Afghanistan.

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 5 months ago

Seeuski- Yes, I thought it was funny as heck! And if I have a choice between Tax & Spend or Borrow Infinitely & Spend...for future generations sake...I'll pick Tax & Spend. I made less money overall during the Clinton years at a higher tax rate & did just fine. I took home more money during Bush's terms thanks to tax cuts and furthering my own job qualifications, but then had to worry about how to pay down the doubled National Debt over 8yrs with minimal paydown, meaning future generations have to pay for it. Why do you think everythings such a mess now? The general population followed that model- spend now without paying. Government set the precedent. This wasn't about blaming Bush; if it were, these Tea Parties would have been happening for the last 3-4 years, minimum. That tells me that when it was the Republican administration spending and spending without a good plan to pay down the National Debt, that this had nothing to do with being non-partisan.

As for Snowbow- buying American & not shipping those jobs overseas was exactly my point. Google Gildan and Sweatshop and you'll see what I'm talking about.

This Tea Party was an original American concept in the 18th Century, but it falls short this time around. Did you take the day off today to go? Probably not, if only for an hour in Steamboat. How many Tea Parties around the country happened today for the whole work day? How many people skipped work for it? How many jobs became completely unproductive for a single day & how much money per person did someone give up for taking today as a day off, paid or otherwise? How much money did each of the people who went lose do to non-productivity, let alone a day's pay? Not me. Instead, I went to work in order to pay my bills and keep my Pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness intact.

This was a double standard because while we're spending, people are now anticipating raises in taxes...so we might actually get around to paying down the $10 trillion+ National Debt instead of passing it on to our children. And what do you do to get out of a Recession? Consumer Confidence. That means...spending to keep the economy rolling.

I hope you all had as much fun today as I did knowing I put in a good day's work to keep the company I work for in business!

Kevin Nerney 5 years, 5 months ago

He who dies with the most debt wins. They are not going to keep you on life support until you pay everything back!!!

conservative 5 years, 5 months ago

Matt - for your information.....some of us in Steamboat have lost our jobs due to this awesome economy. I am very happy for you that you are secure in your job...but most are not. Now I am fighting for my other part time job to not get dismissed as Obama is trading our current jobs with more "green" alternatives, or building roads & bridges. I am sure a lot of his proposed industries will end up in Northern Colorado.
As far as the government spending their way out of this recession....it isn't working in my family...since our pay was cut in half it is difficult to be responsible and pay the bills let alone spend. That extra $20 from Obama in our paycheck really has increased my confidence level with the government....I can buy an extra loaf of bread, eggs, and milk to sustain ourselves for the month. I am not convinced spending our way out is the answer....it is illogical...the only thing that has ever worked to get my family out of our own personal recessions in the past was to pay down debt so we had extra money to spend again. Painful, yes....but getting extra credit cards was unthinkable. So, Matt, I would love to "spend" in my beloved community to sustain the wonderful businesses here in Steamboat....there are some awesome business owners out there...but, see, I am a responsible human being, and I will pay my mortgage & my bills first...after that there is none left....ZIPPO! I am happy for you that this recession has not phased your pocketbook in the least...maybe you would like to share your wealth with those of us who have been less fortunate in Steamboat. PS....both my husband and I are both college educated, small business owners, parents to three college educated children, and have lived all over the country, so do not dismiss us protesters as anything but educated smart individuals who love Steamboat and America enough to stand up and fight for you.

seeuski 5 years, 5 months ago

So sad, this period in time in the history of our Country is going to be quite wild. We just gave $900 MILLION DOLLARS to HAMAS, our/your Pres bowed down to the King of Saudi Arabia the Black Caucus just sang the praises of Castro, we are capitulating to Iran's nuclear desires, it's not just about taxes but where our money is going. Oh, and if you have kids you should start worrying about how the UN will punish you if you spank your child.

Enjoy your socialism.

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 5 months ago

Conservative- I'm sorry about your job situation. Been there in good and bad times, too. I consider myself lucky to have one right now. That's why I went to it this morning. This has hit me, too. I've adjusted to it, but I've learned to control my personal spending over the years, as my wife also has. We planned. We don't have extravagant tastes, nor do we have children at this time. We take vacation in the spring and fall still because we planned ahead. We spend...but we do it wisely. This is because I'm fiscally conservative & socially liberal but only to a degree. I don't take life toooooo seriously, as long as I'm happy.

I see the Bailout as controlled Socialism, if done properly. Just think: by spending that money, those entities receiving it can keep employees on payroll as they adjust their policies thru this. Do you wish to see that many more people out of the work force? That isn't what I wish for my country on a whole. The military teaches you to never leave a wounded comrade behind. Why can't that apply to life in general?

Seeuski- you're hilarious! Thank you! The Bow has everything to do with all our troubles! But!!! Maybe our troubles started with the Hand-Holding! LOL!

Marie Matta 5 years, 5 months ago

This is how I see it: when anti-Iraq war protests took place across the country, participants were accused of being unpatriotic, and the then President proceeded to spend his way through an unlimited budget to support the war machine, resulting in hundreds of thousands of casualties, a perpetuation of a culture of violence and a huge national debt. Now a new President is elected and champions a plan with the ideals of saving endangered jobs, creating new ones in an innovative environment, resolving the healthcare crisis and promoting education, and he's the bad guy? The very people who shout from the rooftops about the greatness of this country and about the American dream re-elected the former President who built his Administration on fear and a war economy, and are now demonizing the new President who has a vision for a hopeful, just and compassionate America. What is wrong with this picture?

Zac Brennan 5 years, 5 months ago

Marie, you couldn't have said any clearer...something is definitely wrong with the picture. I hope Obama succeeds in his efforts to turn our ship around.

ybul 5 years, 5 months ago

Marie,

I think that the origination of the tea party comes from the Ron Paul movement.  He voted against the war in Iraq, has sought to reign in spending and limit government to its constitutional bounds.

Maybe some people still are not happy with the direction this country seems headed.  Out state governments attempt to raid the reserves or Pinnacol shows the first steps they are willing to go to protect their vision of "the common good".  I guess the vision of "the common good" to set up another work comp company is passee and no longer desired as the government is going to take care of everything for us.  Guess I can sit back and wait for the government bailout checks to roll in.  Oh I forgot those only go to large corporations that kick back money to the elected officials.

I suppose I get to work harder to pay the higher work comp premiums so that our government employees can continue to enjoy their health care plans, pensions and high salaries.   If they figure out a way to raid the excess reserves.

What next they raid my bank account as it has too much money in there today, or I do not have enough debt, who knows.

the_Lizard 5 years, 5 months ago

Beautiful speech Maria, stunningly so. So full of platitudes and non-answers, it almost reminds me of something. Oh yes...Obama's speaches they also say nothing, but oh my God the hope they give us. Blech Resolving the healthcare crisis. How? New jobs created by the government. Like what? Saving endangered jobs, examples please. Debt? You ain't seen nothin' yet. What's a just America look like under Obama. How is he promoting education, What is he going to do, throw more money at it? Fear, ever hear of catastrophic global warming, now that fear is going to really cost us. The Iraq war will look like a trip to McDonald's after they get started making us pay for the climate change cash cow.

knee_dropper 5 years, 5 months ago

+1 Marie. Blaming Obama for the state of the economy is a lot easier than coming up with ideas of how to pull ourselves out of the mess that we have gotten ourselves in. I hope this works out and we come out as a stronger nation and better prepared for the future.

conservative 5 years, 5 months ago

Matt - maybe you should run our nation....you at least have experience living within your means, saving responsibly so you can enjoy the small pleasures in life twice a year, and you hit the nail on the head "YOU SPEND WISELY"....that is exactly what we are talkin' about. It is time for politicians to say goodbye and let real Americans with real salaries run this state and nation. About the bailouts....I would much rather see the ones who mismanaged their business to lose their job than the trickle down effect we are seeing throughout the nation and Steamboat. Why is their irresposibility saved when Routt County employees are taking a 10% paycut? Why is my brother's whole plant being forced to shut down in Indiana but the banks and AIG who created this mess being saved? Did Routt County mismanage anything? I would have to say No - they were just enjoying life each day in the best little town in Colorado....and as the poisons trickled in from the East & West it finally stung Steamboat. Because of the banks & AIG's greedy little hands....we all pay the price, today, tomorrow, and probably forever.

There are a lot of wounded "soldiers" citizens right here in Steamboat....please be empathetic to those in the area who have fallen to this recession and are in deep pain fearing foreclosures, bankruptcy & are truly living a life they never dreamed of. It is a time of coming together and supporting each other despite our differences and making Steamboat the most awesome connected community in Colorado.
May God bless Steamboat!!

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 5 months ago

Not sure what you're talking about, conservative, when asking me to be empathetic. I am. That's why as much as this bailout pains me, I don't don't want 5 companies employing thousands of people to go under, putting that many more people out of work. Those companies affect millions of more people's livelihoods, too.

As for those responsible losing their jobs...that's not how trickle down works. It's what people have been saying since Reagan. More bad trickles downward than good since more good for the upper ranks is how business works. Why should all the good people doing their jobs as they were taught be held accountable for the greed-heads at the top? Would you rather see the company close with all those people out of work or would you rather see it come back and maybe be an opportunity for even you?

Did Routt County misspend? Probably on the courthouse, but I also see that as a necessary venture. Hindsight made me wonder why they didn't sell the old Courthouse to the City, negating the need for the City to build Centennial Hall. Plus, Steamboat's own policy of only Sales Tax to pay for everything...that is mismanagement in my opinion. We're paying for it now and it will continue to ebb & flow with tourism. And since a good portion of Routt County lives in Steamboat or is affected by decisions made concerning Steamboat...there you go.

peace 5 years, 5 months ago

As much as FOX promoted these tea-baggers all over our country, it saddens me that there are so many Limbaughesk attitudes in my little town. Most of these tea baggers are nothing but anti:anti tax, anti this or anti that. It hides the fact that beneath it all is the underlying undeniable notion that people are pissed a black man is in the Whitehouse. Shame they hide their bigoted spirit and wrap it in an American flag. Bigotry in Steamboat is visible on tax day at the courthouse. Get a rope.

. The right wing branch should have been more vigilant in making sure that black people were in frame and on camera. These arguments will never end, but my part of it will. Lemming parties with tea:sheesh..

Fred Duckels 5 years, 5 months ago

Peace, I take offense to your asessment of the intellect and character or the tea party participants. I would choose any of this group in my foxhole, over the detractors that you represent. I can only speak for myself, but every word of your post is filled with your assumptions of others feelings, education, and intentions. This is probably impossible since only god could know all this, and I will not speak to your connections in that realm. I was raised as a Democrat and voted that way up thru LBJ. I have always kept abreast of politics and made my own decision to move away from the liberal agenda. I listened to Barry Goldwater and thought that he was too harsh but after watching Britian struggle with unions and liberalism, I came to a realization that my whole belief system was in opposition to a path of dependency. Rush and others that you are intimitated by, were not on the scene. Your rant about the character of the tea party participants is not appreciated. God bless you!

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 5 months ago

Jon Stewart actually had it correct the other night- FOX is now the Revolution Channel, CNN cuts off people in the middle of sentences they don't agree with and MSNBC is taking Stewart's jokes. It all goes 'round!

peace 5 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Duckles- While I do not doubt that any of the tea baggers would be welcomed in your foxhole (I am sure you can see the irony of FOX in the metaphor), and I would gladly dig one with you if ever needed to protect the rights the tea baggers to rally and speak their minds.

Your taking offense to my words does not surprise me but oddly enough, your offense offends me. Were those same foxholes not there for my protections also?

However, you have given me a new moniker to quickly assess and characterize the ignorant follies (no fault of there own), of haters and flamers, who spew FOX talking points. Foxholes.

Simply put people who are bigoted offend me, and I am not saying you are, as I do not know you. It is sad that people are so easily offended by words. Something's will never change. As Huckabee, (or was it governor Patterson) who said last night, "if your not having your butt kicked:..your not out in front.. (Paraphrased) We are all in for lots of exciting challenges.

God bless you and America!

Robert Huron 5 years, 5 months ago

I find it interesting that when Reagan took office in 1981 the national debt was 900 billion and when Bush left office in 2009 the national debt was 11 trillion. During this 28 years we were under Republican control 20 of the 28 years. The only President that had a balanced budget and surplus was the one Democrat Clinton. So all this talk about the Republicans being conservative is a mith just like FOX is "Fair and Balanced". They actually spend more than Democrats. The big difference is who they spend the money on. Republicans spend it on Defense Contractors, foreign governments and tax breaks and Democrats spend it education, health care and the infrastructure. I would rather both quit spending so much but it is better to spend it on Americans instead of Middle Eastern countries and the military industrial complex which is a total waste.

JLM 5 years, 5 months ago

@RH ---

Congress appropriates funds. And you might remember Newt Gingrich and the Republican Congress during the Clinton administration.

Who gets credit for those "balanced" budgets? [In reality all of the Clinton magic was an illusion as they completely ignore "intragovernmental" accounts. In fact, there has not been a balanced budget/spending program since Eisenhower.]

Hmmm, might be the lagging result of the Reagan tax cuts driving up revenue and the conservative spending of the Newt Gingrich "Contract for America" Republican Congress controlling spending.

Funny thing is that this would not be very difficult to duplicate --- reduce taxes to accelerate revenue and control spending.

Fight fair and use real facts.

Eisenhower balance 8 straight budgets during a very troubling time in America while building the nuclear arsenal of the Nation and keeping us out of war. Eisenhower was a Republican.

Robert Huron 5 years, 5 months ago

Eisenhower last comment before leaving office was that beware of the military industrial complex, they will bankrupt the country. He was right and he was a Republican.

seeuski 5 years, 5 months ago

The Obama Administration just gave Hamas $900,000,000. That is million. Of our Money. Obama just committed the US taxpayer to 1.5 billion $$$$ a year to Pakistan. Obama is committing thousands more troops to Afghanistan. Obama is committing billions more to pork spending which includes ACORN and many of the CEO'S that were so hated when Obama ran for Office.

Fred, I have had this argument about racism with Mr. Peacenik already. Don't waste your keystrokes on it. How Ironic that this guy claims conservatives get their talking points from FOX news when this peaceguy dude is using Jeanine Garofolow and the whole of the angry militant left wing drive-by media talkling points as evidenced daily on those programs. Alot of these guys that post here are receiving email talking points from the moveon website funded by their leader George Soros. We will see how things are working out as windle seems to think. I guess the Pro Bowwing tour that Obama has been on since the G20 makes these guys feel good inside. Thats nice. I am sure since the Homeland Security folks have moved their focus from the Man Made Disaster(terrorist activities) to the very dangerous"right wingers and Iraq war veterans" that is what makes guys like windle feel good too. So much sewage to respond to so little time! We will see how Americans react to these angry accusations of racism and taunts from the now very content left at the coming elections. It is our right to vote for the candidates who represent our values without being called racists. Quite antagonistic and disrespectful. I hope we have a choice between Obama and Michael Steele or Condi Rice in 3+ years. These same people claiming racism now laughed at and enjoyed the racist cartoons and talk against Condi Rice. Talk of Hypocrites!!!

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 5 months ago

The $900 million was for the Gaza Strip thru non-governmental agencies, not Hamas specifically. Obama also shelved going to the UN Meeting in support of taking Israel's side due to the tone of the meeting that was presented to be biased against them.

Obama sending more troops to Afghanistan? Wow! Why wasn't that done instead of going into Iraq in the first place? Sounds like he wants to clean-up what Bush left behind as an afterthought. The money for Pakistan is for fighting Al-Qaeda. You do want to fight the terrorists, right?

Don't get all up in arms over pork spending. This site has a nice little graph showing how under a Republican Congress and a Republican President, we had more pork on the tables...until it dropped the last 2 years under Bush and Democrats with Congress. Oh! The Humanity! In fact, searching the same site, it was pretty much a 60/40 Dem/Rep split on the pork spending, reflecting the equivalent Congressional split as it is now.

Next time, seeuski, remember Bush's No Child Left Behind program: a post of your's on the 16th said Obama's had his 100 days. Today is only Day 90.

And to quell claims of racism, you want to see Obama vs. Michael Steele and Condi Rice in 2012 just so you can say you have someone black on the ballot? How thoughtful of you. Kudos! Where were you when Alan Keyes was running as a Republican Presidential Candidate?

And it's other people's right to vote for their candidate without being called sheep or wasting their vote. It's their right to protest taxes or war without fear of being called Tea Baggers or Communists. I might even wonder which is considered worse, in this day and age.

Talk of Hypocrites, indeed! Don't worry: one of these days you'll not only have your cake, you'll eat it, too! I hear it goes great with Tea!

seeuski 5 years, 5 months ago

Matthew, are you calling me a racist? Be cool! What does Alan Keyes have to do with it, although I did agree with alot of his previous statements from a couple of years ago. Boy, have you seen how much Keyes is after Obama to produce his real birth certificate? Even calling him a Usurper. I guess he must be racist in your narrow mind!

seeuski 5 years, 5 months ago

Washington, D.C. - Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW) today named House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank (D-Mass.) its March 2009 Porker of the Month. The chairman, having somehow eluded this dubious award in the past, finally delivered enough of Barney's blarney to be recognized, appropriately, on St. Patrick's Day.

On Monday, March 16, 2009, Chairman Frank expressed public umbrage over reports that insurance giant AIG, a recipient of $173 billion from the U.S. Treasury, had distributed $165 million in retention bonuses to some of the employees who helped bring the company to the verge of collapse. Chairman Frank fulminated that AIG had "rewarded failure" in awarding the bonuses. That's rich. Chairman Frank has never been shy about rewarding failure in the past and he generally favors using taxpayer dollars to do it. He was front and center in support of enactment of TARP, which noticeably had no enforceable strings attached related to executive compensation. Indeed, he helped promote perks for bank executives. According to a January 24, 2009 Boston Herald editorial, Chairman Frank made sure "one of the recipients of a $12 million infusion of federal cash was the troubled OneUnited Bank in Boston - a bank that had already been accused of 'unsafe and unsound banking practices.' Its CEO, Kevin Cohee had also been criticized by regulators for 'excessive' pay that included a Porsche." Chairman Frank included specific provisions in TARP aimed at bailing out OneUnited and spoke directly to Treasury officials about it.

It goes on and on so thanks for the excellent site Matthew. Oh, isn't Barney porkulus Frank a DEMMMM. I think he is.

Oh, and BANKONE is very connected to Maxine Waters, also a Demmmm!

Fred Duckels 5 years, 5 months ago

Matt, When the 900 million that Palestine got starts to run out, we will find a repeat of rocket fire, to ignite another skirmish, and reestablish them as victims deserving of a big O repeat bailout. Not bad work if you can get someone that needs to feel good, to take the bait.