Bill Wallace: Where is outrage?

— John McCain's selection of Sara Palin as his vice presidential running mate is a watershed event, one of those rare but instructional occasions in which the intents, beliefs and ethics of the protagonists, if only for a moment, become crystal clear. Not since the Emperor Caligula nominated his horse Incitatus to the Roman Senate has any leader demonstrated so much disdain for the public or placed their country at greater risk. It seems that McCain is betting that a combination of voter ignorance and blind adherence to political "hot button" agendas will trump rational thought. Given the incredibly tense and complex issues facing the U.S. and the world, how anyone could think that Palin could contribute anything meaningful to any substantive debate is unbelievable. In fact, she is so lacking in the sort of leadership-enabling knowledge and wisdom that Republican Party leaders won't allow her to be subjected to any hard questioning by the media. Furthermore, as we are learning day by day, her mayoral and gubernatorial record, what there is of it, is way overstated and punctuated with cronyism and vindictiveness.

But, where is the outrage? It seems to me that a nomination that makes us the laughingstock of nations should receive more intense criticism in the media than it has to date. My guess is that editorialists who deeply criticize Palin at this juncture will lose future access. Or, maybe they're biding their time, waiting to jump on the inevitable slip-ups of someone attempting candidacy by CliffsNotes.

Bill Wallace

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Jason Krueger 6 years, 2 months ago

shawant, Haven't you learned anything from the Republican noise machine? Don't try to cloud McCain's "honorable" record and his "character" with reality!

Kristopher Hammond 6 years, 2 months ago

Ask the first Mrs. McCain, Carol, about her ex John. She is the mother of his three eldest children and waited for him while he was in Vietnam. She was badly injured in a car accident and emerged from several surgeries with a bad limp and disfigurement. John dumped her for Cindy. He was 44 and Cindy was a 26-year-old Rodeo Beauty Queen (Palin?). Oh, she was rich, too. That may have been a smart move for John, but not the actions of an Eagle Scout. That doesn't make him "wierd", but what does that make him?

Oscar 6 years, 3 months ago

Has Bill not noticed that Sarah has much more experience and accomplishments to her credit than B. Hussein Osama?

JLM 6 years, 3 months ago

There is more than enough inexperience to go around on all fronts. What really matters is who can you trust when the chips are down?

A product of the Chicago political machine?

A popular Governor of Alaska with a real record of reform?

Oh, yeah, silly me --- she's not running for President, she's running for VP!

Game, set, match --- President McCain.

BTW, didn't Caligula's horse represent Illinois? LOL

Spare me the phoney outrage, Sen Obama is simply unqualified based on experience and character. He is a fakir and a poseur.

Fred Duckels 6 years, 3 months ago

Bill: I did not hear anything that Palin said that would compare with the Hillary whopper on sniper fire. Snowy: how many of the new voters that Obama recruited were still living? Also, how many of his workers did he have to bail out of jail for voter fraud? I will take a long term look at Sarah and judge her later. I thought that Ross Perot was looking good until he self destructed. Liberals should love him as he put Bill Clinton into the white house.

Jason Krueger 6 years, 3 months ago

Learn how to write Oscar our don't post. I've never seen it written J. Sydney McCain. We already have one untalented nitwit in the commentary section of the Pilot by the name of Ann Coulter, we don't need two.

playa46 6 years, 3 months ago

JLM, if you had read snowbow's first post, you would have realized that Obama has done more experience in politics than Sarah Palin. She's barely experienced polotics in the real world.

Game, set, match

-p46

JLM 6 years, 3 months ago

Uhhh, shhhh, a little secret --- OBAMA'S NOT RUNNING AGAINST PALIN! Maybe they're both a bit light in their loafers but thankfully John S McCain is going to be the next President.

playa46 6 years, 2 months ago

Dude great post... come up with something that has a back up of facts instead of gut feeling and then I will consider actually reading your posts.

Fred Duckels 6 years, 2 months ago

JLM: Have you imagined how sweet the third victory in a row will be? The cries of "ignorant electorate" will again become the mantra of the less fortunate.

JLM 6 years, 2 months ago

Please accept my apology in advance to all who are offended by my comment and for any spelling errors.

The most remarkable thing in the recent elections is how the Democrats have been able to come up with such totally weird people to nominate for President. Al Gore, John Kerry and Barrack Obama.

I don't actually think the Republicans win the elections as much as the Democrats lose them. The country is simply not as weird as the northeast and west coasts think folks are.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 2 months ago

Fred- in case you hadn't noticed the polls (and these are not always the most accurate), but Obama's starting to take the lead, and Palin's popularity is starting to wane due to her being "protected" from answering any questions that are relevant.

Guess what? McCain is losing his Palin bounce since she's looking more like Dan Quayle (with lipstick- and that's still more womanly looking than Ann Coulter could ever hope for) every day. I can't wait to see how the VP Debates go. I think it will be more exciting than Obama/McCain's debates...unless McCain gets the reprieve he's asking for today.

Fred Duckels 6 years, 2 months ago

Matt: When the comment was made that Palin was a possibility for governer in Alaska, she replied that she was going to be president. Only time will tell, but I already have the movie rights.

JLM 6 years, 2 months ago

The polls mean nothing until the day before Election Day and the only important poll is the election itself. Polls like the stock market will go up and down.

There are many who would caution that Obama's failure to lead in many battleground state polls today presages considerable concern as to the final outcome while the "Bradley effect" only compounds that concern.

The Electoral College vote looks pretty dicey for both candidates and there are many plausible scenarios for victory and doom for both of them.

I suspect the resolution of the current economic crisis and the debates will detemine the outcome of the election.

If I had to guess though I think McCain will win handily because I think the Bradley effect is extremely virulant among those bitter folks clinging to their guns and God.

I don't think that is necessarily a laudable thing but I think it is a real thing.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 2 months ago

You think the Bradley effect, eh? Somehow, I doubt it. Unless we get attacked on US soil before November, this will be Obama's election to lose. Even then, all that might do is prove that Bush's policy DIDN'T keep us safe. Catch-22? The luster is wearing off the McCain/Palin ticket since she hasn't said anything new since her speech at the RNC.

Right now, as Clinton said to help him win, "it's the economy." And while they are polls, they show most Americans (and have pretty much always said) that Obama will do better economically for the country than McCain.

This is why I want to see the debates. Now, McCain wants to postpone the one debate he might even win- Foreign Policy, just to he can look like he'll be the one to get something done on the Wall Street debacle. We'll see if he's any help when the economy (as he himself said) is not his strong point.

Right now, I'm still reading up on Third Party Candidates.

JLM 6 years, 2 months ago

One thing we can agree on is this election has always been Sen Obama's election to lose --- well, actually the Democrats and he is their standard bearer. The Democrats should be ahead by 20 points.

It is simply incomprehensible to me that the Democrats have allowed this election to even get close given the huge unpopularity of the current administration. Sen McCain is not a formidable candidate in his own right while Sen Obama provided a seductive glimpse of a generational change and a post-partisan candidacy. Then just when he had the Republicans on the ropes, he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

In my view, Sen Obama went just one rock concert too far while missing the opportunity to completely neutralize the Republicans by picking Sen Hillary Clinton as his running mate. There is winning, winning ugly and losing. Sen Obama has apparently selected option no. 3.

Having failed to launch with Sen Clinton, then he picked Sen Biden --- talk about the dark side of the mirror. The gaffe meister has distanced himself from even his closest competitor and has actually publicly contradicted the candidate himself.

All of this has created an opening through which Sen McCain has usurped the mantle of "change agent" and has picked ---- sound of trumpets --- Gov Sarah Palin thereby stealing the oxygen from the entire election.

Sen Obama could have inoculated himself against the lovely, sexy, moose huntress but his vanity got in the way. Does former President Bill Clinton down the hall really look so unattractive just now?

Checkers v chess --- maybe so?

I suspect that Sen Obama will continue to drive his chin into the fists of Sen McCain and deliver a victory to him that he could never have obtained without Sen Obama's cooperation.

And, yes, in addition, the Bradley Effect will be felt.

BTW, if Victoria's Secret was designing a political candidate she would look like that vixen Saracuda, wouldn't she? Don't underestimate the political attraction of a well turned calf.

playa46 6 years, 2 months ago

Woah woah woah, wait a second. Why are we instantly declaring Obama the looser all of a sudden?

Marie Matta 6 years, 2 months ago

JLM - Is that the most analytical characterisation you can make about Democratic candidates Gore, Kerry and Obama? That they are "weird"? And please don't respond with the terms "fakir" and "poseur" again in relation to Obama - I have already challenged you in another post on your mis-application of those terms. Yes, you're right, the electorate is not "weird", but it is vulnerable to the politics of fear, simplistic responses to complex election issues and a narrow view of the world that the Republican campaigns have promoted. I can only hope that the electorate has learnt something from the mistakes of the past 8 years and will not fall for such tricks again.

JLM 6 years, 2 months ago

Marie, please accept my apology for my scholarship not meeting your exacting standards. LOL

Hey, "weird" --- "weird" --- that is the right characterization for Al, John and Barrack. Weird, it is!

Now as to Barrack Obama the fakir and poseur --- he is a bit of an idea guy, an "ascetic." Focused on ideas --- like "hope", eh? When one has no real track record, ideas are a good thing to talk about.

And, in addition, a very high energy guy, a bit of a "dervish", no?

So I think that the characterization of him as a fakir is (as Saracuda might say in her lovely nasally Alaska accent) "spot on!" The usage is even a tiny bit clever and playful as it alludes to the silly assertions that he might be a closet Muslim or Hindu which we know not to be true. Nonetheless, our friend Barrack is indeed a fakir.

As to a poseur, that requires not even a smidgen of explanation or analysis. He is the runway candidate of choice fixated on affectation and silly poses --- didn't you just love the Greek Temple of Obama? It was just precious.

So, Marie, I think we can safely go with Barrack Obama being both a fakir and a poseur. The nuns would probably give us a passing grade on those definitions.

As to the "Republicans" those dastardly chaps, well they are not really all that homogeneous, are they? A McCain Presidency will be a bit different than a George W Bush Presidency and I think that the electorate gets that.

The attempt to make the McCain Presidency into the third George W Bush term is contrived, shallow and silly. Even I would vote against a third term for George W Bush though I must admit I would like very much to have our continent be as safe as it has been since 9-11 under his stewardship. It is tempting, but I think it is time for this Bush to take root in Crawford.

Bill Wallace 6 years, 2 months ago

At last, unable to continue hiding from the press, Sarah Palin's undecipherable opinions and ignorant policy ramblings are beginning to appear more frequently, giving the public a taste of what's to come. Referring back to my original letter to the editor, I'm tempted to say, "I rest my case!" However, in reading the many Palin-supporting comments above, my reaction is, "You've got to be kidding!" What are your criteria for judging her to be vice presidential candidate material? Given today's complex issues and challenges facing the U.S. and the world, do you actually think she is qualified to be a heartbeat away from the presidency? Frankly, I don't know which scares me most: the fact that Palin is so ill equipped for the candidacy role she's assumed, or the fact that a large proportion of the electorate appear to be so absolutely clueless about what it takes to lead our nation.

snoman 6 years, 2 months ago

Bill, I don't think it is a large population of the electorate that thinks Sarah Palin is up to the job. According to polls its getting smaller every time she talks to a reporter. The debate likely will do her in. But, I do expect her to attack, attack, attack with lies and smears; kind of like Schaffer this morning. Nothing to say but FEAR! And, I do think that the posts above are Good Ol Party supporters who think George Bush is doing a good job along with a whopping 26% of other good Americains out there.

Bill Wallace 6 years, 2 months ago

Snoman, I hope you're right. BTW, I just returned from an engineering conference in Sweden, with engineers from Asia, Africa, Europe, Middle East, Latin America. Lots of expressions of utter disbelief that the Republicans could have fielded such a ticket. Also, the European press is having a field day with this story. It seems to be bring back visions of Month Python.

There's an interesting web site set up by The Economist magazine (http://www.economist.com/vote2008/?source=hpevents). Their scenario is, "What if the world could vote in the U.S. election?" and they have set up this web site to collect the votes. Astonishingly, the current "World Electoral College" tally is 8039 votes for Obama/Biden and ZERO votes for McCain/Palin.

JLM 6 years, 2 months ago

Of course, the Europeans have preferred every losing Presidential candidate since Nixon won. Almost seems like the preference of the Europeans in American politics is the kiss of death. The Europeans loved Kerry and look how great that turned out.

Engineers are funny guys. It takes at least 4 years, sometimes 5, of pretty intensive study. Then the EIT and then 5 years of experience and the PE exam. The PE designation is quite an significant accomplishment in an engineer's profession. It is interestingly enough the minimum credential necessary to hang a license out.

On the other hand, a fella can be in the Senate for 143 days with no meaningful professional experience and be a candidate for President.

It takes longer to become a journeyman plumber than it takes to qualify for President. LOL

But, hey, that's just me.