Conservative commentary: Grit, guts and determination

— My name is Jennifer Schubert-Akin, and I am proud to be a citizen of the United States of America. I am proud to live in the freest, most prosperous, strongest and most generous nation on Earth.

One measure of the success of a country is "how many people are trying to get in and how many people are trying to get out." I have not heard or read any news accounts of hordes of people trying to get out.

I support John McCain and Sarah Palin for president and vice president because they share my optimism and pride in America, the greatest country the world has ever seen. They believe in the inherent goodness of the American people and the ability of those people to do great things.

I grew up as a small-town kid on a farm in northwest Oklahoma. As far as I knew, the world was my oyster. All I had to do was work hard, do my best in school, and I could be and do whatever I wanted. Is this a great country, or what?

Did anyone else notice how many of the Olympic track-and-field athletes from other countries are students at American universities? Guess they didn't get the memo from the Obama camp about how America just isn't what it used to be and that they (the Obamas) had not been proud of their country (until just a few months ago).

If you still are trying to make up your mind how to vote on Nov. 4, let me give you some food for thought:

- John McCain and Sarah Palin understand that lower taxes help individuals and the millions of small business owners in this country. Mr. Obama has clearly outlined his plan to raise your taxes. Ask yourself, "How will higher taxes help me?" (OK, both of you who actually believe that higher taxes will help you can stop reading now.)

- John McCain and Sarah Palin will keep us on offense against the terrorists who want to destroy our country. Mr. Obama is more concerned with whether we have read them their rights.

- John McCain and Sarah Palin believe that the American people are a better steward of your money and your family than big government ever could be. Mr. Obama wants to take more and more of your hard-earned money and give you more orders from Washington, and for what? More bridges to nowhere?

- John McCain and Sarah Palin actually have an action plan for achieving energy independence. And, guess what? It includes drilling to develop our own natural resources, which we have in abundance. What a concept : actual drilling vs. endless talking.

- And, finally, throughout their respective lives, John McCain and Sarah Palin have displayed an abundance of three key ingredients : grit, guts and determination. The prisoner of war who refused to break and the self-described "hockey mom" who stood up to a powerful, entrenched, corrupt political machine in her home state and won.

The bottom line is this: I have a 12-year-old niece growing up in the heartland, and I want her to be able to realize the same hopes and dreams that I did as a 12-year-old growing up on a farm. I don't want her dreams to be quashed by a huge, bloated government that taxes its people to death, that regulates small business owners to death, and that negotiates with and appeases terrorists.

Join me in putting America first. Join me in voting for John McCain and Sarah Palin for president and vice president. (Now, excuse me while I go eat some caribou.)

Jennifer Schubert-Akin is a graduate of the University of Oklahoma and founder and owner of Marathon Accounting Services LLC. She is a member of the Conservative Leadership Council of Northwest Colorado, a graduate of the Leadership Program of the Rockies, and a former chairwoman of the Routt County Republican Party.

Comments

Murray Tucker 6 years, 3 months ago

I can understand Mrs. Schubert-Akin's desire to vote for McCain. She must make a bundle of money and that ticket will certainly lower her taxes more than Obama's proposal. But the fact for the other 95% of us is that Obama's net effect will be to lower taxes more than McCain. The nonpartisan Tax Policy Institute has taken each candidate's proposals to analyze the net effect. For those making at or below average family incomes of $38,000- 66,000, McCain lowers taxes by $325, Obama by $1118. For those in the middle income bracket of $66,000 to $112,000- McCain lowers by $994 and Obama, $1264.

With more money in their pockets lower and middle income families will spend, precisely in those small businesses that we all want to see succeed. Under Democrats, the pie has gotten bigger and there have been bigger shares for everyone. Under Republicans, the pie has shrunk and the rich have taken a larger chunk. If that's what you want, vote McCain who wants to continue Bush's failed economic policy.

The "bridges (plural) to nowhere" were Republican sponsored (Ted Stevens then head of Senate Appropriations) and Republican majority passed and Republican President signed appropriations. True, McCain railed against the most infamous, but the bridge to Gov. Palin's town of 6,000+ is still there. And spending foolishly- Republicans have been doing a great job of it since Bill Clinton left the White House with a budget balanced and with surplus to reduce the debt.

Energy Independence? McCain has been AWOL on all bills meant to move us away from oil (8 of them).

I'll grant McCain-Palin TRUE GRIT. But if you would like a President and Vice President who do not believe like George Bush and Dick Cheney of shooting first, then looking at the facts, Obama-Biden is the ticket for you.

kielyj 6 years, 3 months ago

Let's parse this drivel. The first few paragraphs are standard fare for the right. Our policies are bankrupt but hey isn't America great. Don't look at what we've done look at our lapel pins. America is great; when and where did Obama ever say it isn't. What Obama has said is that the country has serious issues that need to be addressed; that the policies of the last eight years have failed and we need to do things differently. 80% of those polled agree that the country is on the wrong path. For the love of Mike, McCain is running on change. Obama is running on his hope and faith in the essential fairness and perfectibility of America. Republicans don't get a monopoly on love of country because they say they enshroud themselves in the flag.. - John McCain and Sarah Palin understand that lower taxes help :::::..Whose taxes is McCain going to cut? He plans to continue the Bush cuts for the top income brackets. Obama's tax increases are proposed on those with incomes greater than $250,000. I don't want to pay taxes any more than anyone else does but at some point you have to pay for all this glorious Americanism you tout above. We cannot continue to run the deficits we are running.. - John McCain and Sarah Palin will keep us on offense against the terrorists ::::..What are you talking about? McCain and Obama both are talking about restricting torture as a policy of the US. A salient theme at the Republican convention was the undoubted courage McCain showed under torture in Hanoi. And yet Ms. Palin's wise crack was roundly applauded. McCain understands that we are now the torturers and McCain as well as Obama want it controlled.
- John McCain and Sarah Palin believe that the American people are a better steward of your money and your family than big government ever could be:::. Palin wanted the bridge before she did not want it. Ok who can disagree that ear marks should be stopped. No one needs a Lawrence Welk Museum or an infamous bridge. This issue is a red herring. Ear marks are less than half on one percent of Federal expenditures. Double them, take them all away; it will have no appreciable effect on the dysfunctional budget and tax situation. What on budget programs is McCain going to cut?

Marie Matta 6 years, 3 months ago

snowbow, I too would strongly dispute many of Jennifer Schubert-Akin's arguments, but I must correct a factual (though I suspect inadvertent) error you made in your post: Nouri al- Maliki is the Prime Minister of Iraq, not Iran.

kielyj 6 years, 3 months ago

• John McCain and Sarah Palin actually have an action plan for achieving energy independence. And, guess what? It includes drilling to develop our own natural resources, which we have in abundance. What a concept : actual drilling vs. endless talking. Again a red herring. Certainly we should exploit our resources. However the US has 3% of the world's fossil fuels resources and uses 25 %. US oil production peaked in 1973.We can drill everywhere the creative imagination of the Republicans can think of and it will not change the situation we are in; we are dependent on foreign oil sources with the concomitant political and military idangers. America needs to take the lead in the development of a new energy paradigm as we did in the development of the old one. The bottom line is this: I have a 12-year-old niece growing up in the heartland:::::.. What I wish for little Dorothy is that she won't have to go 40k into debt to go to college. I hope when she gets ready to retire she won't be one illness away from the poor house. I hope her phones won't be bugged. I hope she will get the right to choose whether she wants to have a baby or not. I hope the dollar is worth more than a peso because the debt we've managed to generate destroys the economy. I hope that the US is not still at war because we refuse to negotiate or have a coherent foreign policy or that a chucklehead like Sarah Palin is president.

JLM 6 years, 3 months ago

America is well advised to be skeptical in believing campaign promises from folks who have no auditable track record of having enacted such promises into law (and even moreso when their track record is actually exactly the opposite), who promise penny candy tax cuts for folks who actually pay very little in the way of taxes, who have promised huge unrealistic arrays of new social programs to be funded by spurious and unrealistic assumptions.

A pox on both of their houses!

Presidents from both parties (Kennedy, Reagan, Bush) have known that tax cuts --- given to folks who actually pay taxes --- will spur the economy and increase Federal revenues. That is simply true just like melting snow will fill the Yampa.

The answer is to control government spending --- not to even REDUCE government spending --- so that the rate of increase of spending is less than the rate of increase in revenue until the lines cross (i.e. revenue going up at a faster rate than spending).

BTW, if you can find a trillion dollars of those corporate tax loopholes and wasteful governent programs, please send it along to both campaigns.

Chicken salad and chicken excrement are as different as real world economics and tax policy and campaign promises.

Let's just be honest with ourselves for a change.

JLM 6 years, 3 months ago

Without getting personal or championing a particular candidate, let's explore some basic tax reality.

Of course, the elephant in the room is that the President does not really have much control over how the Congress legislates tax policy. Remember we are talking CAMPAIGN promises here, folks. [Do you recall --- "Read my lips, no new taxes." Well that turned out not quite to be true, no?]

A campaign promise from a candidate whose actual legislative record is opposite of his promises is very, very suspect. Unless you are very, very stupid which is your privilege to be.

You may recall that a recent Governor from Arkansas promised middle class tax cuts and then enacted tax increases --- so much for campaign promises. You are also entitled to recall that GHWB made the aforesaid promise pertaining to reading his lips.

Again, a pox on all candidates and their campaign promises.

The top 5% of taxpayers are already paying almost 90% of the income taxes paid in America and the bottom 50% are paying NOTHING. You cannot really cut taxes for folks who are NOT paying taxes, can you? Can you?

Well, that was the truth once upon a time but now they "refund" taxes to the bottom 50% --- that's right, folks, they send a "refund" check to someone who has paid NOTHING in taxes. In the real world they call that "wealth redistribution." It's a common principle of socialist economic theories. It is not really tax policy because it is is a social program.

The guy who gets up early, stays late, works hard pays taxes which are "refunded" to those who do not get up early, do not stay late and do not work hard. That is not the American dream. That is a socialist nightmare.

It is a bit of a stretch for a candidate to promise a tax cut (refund) to the folks who are not as productive as the actual taxpayers while simultaneously promising a huge array of social programs which must be funded somehow, don't they?

How are these programs going to be paid for? Well the only thing said thus far is --- "by closing corporate loopholes and eliminating wasteful government programs." OK, which corporate loopholes and which wasteful government programs? Really which ones?

shoe_Z_Q 6 years, 3 months ago

I have to agree with Ms. Akin. I am voting for pride of Country before pride of party. You all have to face the fact the Democrats have been in control for the past few months. Nancy Pelosi saying wait till you see what we do in the next 100 days. Wait till you see. Well, I'm still looking!!! When did it become the rich mans job to support the poor. In my job I am subject to random drug tests. If I am not clean I no longer have a job. So, If I stay clean, pay my taxes, why don't the people reaping the taxes I pay have to have a random test to keep getting those taxes. When someone is on government support, other than disability, why don't they have to get up and earn it. Pick up trash on the side of the road. Work cleaning up weeds, fallen trees, fixing holes in the roads. I am a republican and I am far from wealthy as far as money goes. But I work hard to keep our families needs supplied. Our wants will come later in life when our kids have kids and we can just be Grandma and Grandpa.