Steamboat Springs My name is Jennifer Schubert-Akin, and I am proud to be a citizen of the United States of America. I am proud to live in the freest, most prosperous, strongest and most generous nation on Earth.
One measure of the success of a country is "how many people are trying to get in and how many people are trying to get out." I have not heard or read any news accounts of hordes of people trying to get out.
I support John McCain and Sarah Palin for president and vice president because they share my optimism and pride in America, the greatest country the world has ever seen. They believe in the inherent goodness of the American people and the ability of those people to do great things.
I grew up as a small-town kid on a farm in northwest Oklahoma. As far as I knew, the world was my oyster. All I had to do was work hard, do my best in school, and I could be and do whatever I wanted. Is this a great country, or what?
Did anyone else notice how many of the Olympic track-and-field athletes from other countries are students at American universities? Guess they didn't get the memo from the Obama camp about how America just isn't what it used to be and that they (the Obamas) had not been proud of their country (until just a few months ago).
If you still are trying to make up your mind how to vote on Nov. 4, let me give you some food for thought:
- John McCain and Sarah Palin understand that lower taxes help individuals and the millions of small business owners in this country. Mr. Obama has clearly outlined his plan to raise your taxes. Ask yourself, "How will higher taxes help me?" (OK, both of you who actually believe that higher taxes will help you can stop reading now.)
- John McCain and Sarah Palin will keep us on offense against the terrorists who want to destroy our country. Mr. Obama is more concerned with whether we have read them their rights.
- John McCain and Sarah Palin believe that the American people are a better steward of your money and your family than big government ever could be. Mr. Obama wants to take more and more of your hard-earned money and give you more orders from Washington, and for what? More bridges to nowhere?
- John McCain and Sarah Palin actually have an action plan for achieving energy independence. And, guess what? It includes drilling to develop our own natural resources, which we have in abundance. What a concept : actual drilling vs. endless talking.
- And, finally, throughout their respective lives, John McCain and Sarah Palin have displayed an abundance of three key ingredients : grit, guts and determination. The prisoner of war who refused to break and the self-described "hockey mom" who stood up to a powerful, entrenched, corrupt political machine in her home state and won.
The bottom line is this: I have a 12-year-old niece growing up in the heartland, and I want her to be able to realize the same hopes and dreams that I did as a 12-year-old growing up on a farm. I don't want her dreams to be quashed by a huge, bloated government that taxes its people to death, that regulates small business owners to death, and that negotiates with and appeases terrorists.
Join me in putting America first. Join me in voting for John McCain and Sarah Palin for president and vice president. (Now, excuse me while I go eat some caribou.)
Jennifer Schubert-Akin is a graduate of the University of Oklahoma and founder and owner of Marathon Accounting Services LLC. She is a member of the Conservative Leadership Council of Northwest Colorado, a graduate of the Leadership Program of the Rockies, and a former chairwoman of the Routt County Republican Party.