Kerry St. James leaving office

Elizabeth Oldham to replace longtime assistant district attorney

— Longtime Assistant District Attorney Kerry St. James is leaving the 14th Judicial District and will be replaced by Chief Deputy District Attorney Elizabeth Oldham.

St. James' official last day was Friday, though he will continue to work with the 14th Judicial District on some pending cases, District Attorney Bonnie Roesink said. Oldham, who is based in Grand County, will take over as Roesink's No. 2 for the remainder of the year.

St. James, who has worked for the 14th Judicial District since 1987, will become a full-time firefighter with Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue, Roesink said. St. James did not return calls for comment.

Roesink plans to have a prosecutor in place to replace St. James in the Steamboat Springs office in about a month. St. James' departure from the Steamboat Springs District Attorney's Office follows that of Deputy District Attorney Ed Veronda, who now works out of Craig.

Roesink, a Republican, is retiring at the end of her current term after 21 years as a prosecutor in the 14th Judicial District, and Oldham is aiming to take her place. Oldham, also a Republican, announced her candidacy for district attorney in January and gained Roesink's endorsement. She has been a prosecutor since 2001.

Oldham is challenged by Democratic candidate Tammy L. Stewart, an assistant Moffat County Attorney handling child support and child abuse cases, and an attorney in private practice in Steamboat Springs. Stewart worked as a prosecutor for 12 years, including two in Routt County.

Comments

jdoe80477 6 years, 6 months ago

Thank heavens he's leaving office. Now we need to vote out Bonnie Roesink. An actual child advocate in the DA's office is a great idea.

madmoores 6 years, 6 months ago

No need to vote her out jdoe, her term is up at the end of this year, October or November I think. I hope the next DA is not as soft on crime, particularly drug abusers, as the last one was.

80488mom 6 years, 6 months ago

Thank you Kerry for your years of service to this community. There will always be people who either think you were too soft or too hard. Guess it depends on which side of the fence they were on. I respect your service and commend you for not jumping ship to earlier to chase the almighty dollar. It should come as no surprise that you have chosen another career where you will also serve your community and not your bank account. Know that there are those who appreciate it. Take care and God Bless!

80488mom 6 years, 6 months ago

That's just ridiculous Carel. The comments on his new position are unwarranted.

If Kerry was looking to win a popularity contest he wouldn't have been a DA and surely not stuck with it for so long. My guess is he's grown accustomed to all the whining in this town and could care less about public opinion so keep on venting. Hope it makes you feel better.

Troy Kuhl 6 years, 6 months ago

I would like to see all you winers try and do Kerry's job as DA better than he did for so many years. You can say you could do better than him but I bet your not even close to as smart as he is. If you were you probobly wouldn't be bitchen about it. I would trust my life and my family's life to Kerry. Unlike 99% of this town, Kerry is serving his community and trying to do good. The rest of Steamboat is just a bunch of compaining no gooders that can't take care of them selves and people like Kerry are left to babysit.

solmont 6 years, 6 months ago

It pains me to see such negative comments on this site, so often about our community. This particular string caught my attention especially, because of some of the down right cynicism... whatever happened to our town in which everyone said hi to each other and would help each other anytime they needed it. Now all we have is people complaining about subjects they know nothing about, and blasting each other. I agree with monzaski, St. James has served this community for over 20 years just for the love of being here and not to chase money... the job he is retiring from is a thankless job... inherently half of those involved will not like the outcome, yet he continued to work hard over the years to uphold the law in our community. He has now made the career change to another selfless profession in which he serves this community.... It makes me sick to think the first couple of people on this string would make such awful comments... Do you really think that St. James, or any firefighter across the country for that matter, would EVER pick and chose who they help? Maybe the people making these comments should actually try out an altruistic job like being a firefighter, police officer, soldier or any other profession in which the men and women wake up to serve and protect their communities, without regard to their own personal safety, wellbeing or financial success. This community has made a dramatic change in recent years in which a handful of pretentious individuals, who blame their every problem on someone else (don't get me wrong there are still many many great people out there)... fortunately, there are still people out there like Kerry St. James out there who wake up every morning (and sometimes work all night) and go to work to protect us all. Everyone needs to look out the window, go for a walk, or just sit by the river... this place is still heaven on earth... lets start treating each other better and not blaming other people for our problems.

longtimelocal 6 years, 6 months ago

I have had the priviledge of working with Kerry St. James for over 10 years now. He has prosecuted many cases I have been involved with. I consider myself a staunch conserative, I hate drugs, criminal behavior and the like. I want to go on record as stating that there are very few people I have respect for as I do Kerry St. James. He is well reasoned, and careful not only to do his best to prosecute crime to the fullest extent of the law, but also on the flip side, careful to protect the constitutional rights of the accused, which is one of the principals which make our country great. I can tell you he will be sorely missed in the law enforcement community. Kerry no doubt could have many years ago gone over to the private defense attorney side from the DA's office as many many others have done, and made much more money. I appreciate the years of service to this community and this state. Those individuals who make comments about his firefighting ability in a sarcastic manner need to grow up. You make comments about things when you have no idea what has taken place behind the scenes or the provability of cases when a plea may actually be the best deal for the people. Please don't be ignorant, have your opinion if you must, but at least respect the years of service St. James has given to this community. I have no doubt that this same standard of excellence will be shown with SSFR. Thanks again Kerry!

trueWZ 6 years, 6 months ago

First to Kerry, Thank you for you 21 years of service to this community. I think that there are very few people in the world that live a life as humble as you have and I am privileged to be a friend. Good luck to you as you continue to serve your community.

To all those to feel that this is the place to shoot your mouth off a short word.

You obviously don't know Kerry personally!!!! If you did none of those comments would be posted above. He is one of the kindest, modest and humble people I know. I as well would trust my life Kerry and anyone that would question Kerry's judgement again obviously doesn't know him personally. Feel free to say what you want in your little group of friends. But i encourage you to do something that we teach to children. Think before you speak or in this case type all you do is make a fool of you self. It goes a long way.